Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

In The U.K, A Man May Go To Jail For Staring Too Long At A Woman - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / In The U.K, A Man May Go To Jail For Staring Too Long At A Woman (940 Views)

Little Boy Seen Staring At The Photo Of His Dad Killed During The Shiite/police / Nigerian Man Sentenced To Jail For Romance Scam And Cheating. Photo / Lady Staring At A Suspected Rapist's Joystick In Zimbabwe After His Arrest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In The U.K, A Man May Go To Jail For Staring Too Long At A Woman by Nobody: 1:53pm On May 06, 2022
A poster campaign has drawn attention to the issue of "intrusive staring" on public transport, warning travellers it can constitute sexual harassment. Those affected describe being watched by a stranger as a distressing experience.

Bex, from east London, was travelling home on the Tube from a night at the theatre when a man sitting opposite her began staring.

The stranger looked directly at her throughout the 10-minute journey, she says.

"I was on my phone trying to look anywhere but at him."

By the time she reached her stop, she had been made to feel so uncomfortable by his persistent staring that she waited until the last minute to stand up.

As she got off, he followed, so she decided to wait on the station concourse for five minutes before boarding her bus. He stood, less than a metre away, looking.

After several trains came and left without the man getting on, she "bolted" for the stairs.

"I turned around and he was just waving at me," she says.

Bex had initially worried she was "overreacting", but says that, ironically, one of the new anti-staring posters was placed right above where the man was sitting in the carriage.

"Seeing that made me feel, 'I have a right to feel comfortable'".

'Intentional harassment'
The campaign was launched nationwide last year by the Rail Delivery Group and British Transport Police (BTP), and later by Transport for London (TfL)

The posters cover a number of unwanted behaviours: catcalling, exposing body parts, inappropriate touching, upskirting, cyber flashing (the sending of sexual images), and staring.

In recent weeks the staring posters have been put into the spotlight after a man was jailed for staring at a woman on a train between Reading and Newbury, and blocking her exit.

He was found guilty of causing intentional harassment, alarm or distress - and was sentenced to 22 weeks in prison.

Re: In The U.K, A Man May Go To Jail For Staring Too Long At A Woman by Nobody: 1:54pm On May 06, 2022
Staring is not illegal - but intrusive staring of a sexual nature that causes harassment, alarm or distress can be classed as a Public Order Offence.

On 22 April, British Transport Police tweeted that officers in north London had arrested a man who pressed himself against a woman on a train. They had been following the man because they noticed he was "closely watching" female passengers.

Research commissioned by TfL showed intrusive staring is one of the most common types of unwanted sexual behaviour experienced mainly, but not exclusively, by women.

'I could feel him watching me'
Lucy Thorburn, from Manchester, was on a train in central London around 09:00 in the morning when she experienced unwanted and intrusive staring.

She says for the duration of her 25-minute journey a man had his "eyes glued on [her]".

"After 10 minutes I began to really feel uncomfortable. I thought maybe my music was loud so I turned it down. [But] I knew subconsciously it wasn't as the Tube was busy and he was the only one looking."

Lucy considered getting off, but had to make a connecting train. "Why should I leave because of him?" she asks.

"Staring might not seem 'that bad' to some, but it is the start of something… I have been stared at before and then it has led to being followed."

Dr Fiona Vera-Gray from London Metropolitan University's Child and Woman Abuse Studies Unit, says intrusive staring has come up in her work as a subtle form of "public sexual harassment".

"It is that sense of being under surveillance, watched, evaluated - but also it's an experience of dehumanisation.

"It creates a form of bodily self-consciousness, where women have spoken about suddenly feeling incredibly aware of how they are sitting, what their face is doing, how their hands are, how they're walking - feeling acutely aware of themselves in the world."

Bex says there is a clear difference "between someone [who is] people-watching and somebody looking and staring at you".

Jamie Klingler of Reclaim These Streets agrees: "We've all been caught admiring someone's shoes or outfit... but it is the act of staring with intent, which makes [a victim] want to change [their] behaviour, that the posters are trying to tackle."

The University of Kent's Dr Afroditi Pina says the fact staring "can cause such deep anxiety and fear should be enough for [those watching others] to wish to abstain from doing it".

A British Transport Police spokesperson said it was a priority to "drive out" all forms of sexual harassment on the train network, and that all reported incidents would be recorded to help build a picture of offending behaviour.

Re: In The U.K, A Man May Go To Jail For Staring Too Long At A Woman by Kingpin1000: 2:04pm On May 06, 2022
The symbol of justice is a blind woman, that's why laws are made to favour women.

3 Likes

Re: In The U.K, A Man May Go To Jail For Staring Too Long At A Woman by Flamees(m): 2:14pm On May 06, 2022
Kingpin1000:
The symbol of justice is a blind woman, that's why laws are made to favour women.
100%
When a man stares it's called Harassment
When a woman stares it's like Crushing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In The U.K, A Man May Go To Jail For Staring Too Long At A Woman by Nobody: 2:30pm On May 06, 2022
Making all sort of illogical laws everywhere,

so if I am to stare at a lady in a train, or a car on transit because i felt or saw an uncanny resemblance with someone I know, that means I have broke the law abi? What is harmless in that, something that we all do attimes oh.......
Re: In The U.K, A Man May Go To Jail For Staring Too Long At A Woman by chatinent: 2:39pm On May 06, 2022
And those who wear sunglasses?
Re: In The U.K, A Man May Go To Jail For Staring Too Long At A Woman by mckellenkins: 5:00pm On May 06, 2022
Nigeria married women can't wait for such late in Nigeria.
Re: In The U.K, A Man May Go To Jail For Staring Too Long At A Woman by tnerro1(m): 5:33pm On May 06, 2022
How will they prove it, hearsay is not admissible in court

4 Likes

Re: In The U.K, A Man May Go To Jail For Staring Too Long At A Woman by ufuosman(m): 5:56pm On May 06, 2022
Such tin can't work in Africa countries
Re: In The U.K, A Man May Go To Jail For Staring Too Long At A Woman by Kpengla(m): 10:11pm On May 06, 2022
Ayo13945:
A poster campaign has drawn attention to the issue of "intrusive staring" on public transport, warning travellers it can constitute sexual harassment. Those affected describe being watched by a stranger as a distressing experience.

Bex, from east London, was travelling home on the Tube from a night at the theatre when a man sitting opposite her began staring.

The stranger looked directly at her throughout the 10-minute journey, she says.

"I was on my phone trying to look anywhere but at him."

By the time she reached her stop, she had been made to feel so uncomfortable by his persistent staring that she waited until the last minute to stand up.

As she got off, he followed, so she decided to wait on the station concourse for five minutes before boarding her bus. He stood, less than a metre away, looking.

After several trains came and left without the man getting on, she "bolted" for the stairs.

"I turned around and he was just waving at me," she says.

Bex had initially worried she was "overreacting", but says that, ironically, one of the new anti-staring posters was placed right above where the man was sitting in the carriage.

"Seeing that made me feel, 'I have a right to feel comfortable'".

'Intentional harassment'
The campaign was launched nationwide last year by the Rail Delivery Group and British Transport Police (BTP), and later by Transport for London (TfL)

The posters cover a number of unwanted behaviours: catcalling, exposing body parts, inappropriate touching, upskirting, cyber flashing (the sending of sexual images), and staring.

In recent weeks the staring posters have been put into the spotlight after a man was jailed for staring at a woman on a train between Reading and Newbury, and blocking her exit.

He was found guilty of causing intentional harassment, alarm or distress - and was sentenced to 22 weeks in prison.

Reckless eyeballing
Re: In The U.K, A Man May Go To Jail For Staring Too Long At A Woman by NaBanga: 1:48am On May 08, 2022
I don't think it's staring as solo event. In all cases listed, the man physically touched the woman.
Re: In The U.K, A Man May Go To Jail For Staring Too Long At A Woman by VictorUSA(m): 5:54am On May 08, 2022
Go to jail because of those useless things?

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

What A Wicked World / Man Caught Red-handed Shoplifting At A Justrite Superstore. / Lady In Shock After Her Pet Dog Destroys Her Neighbour's Clothes (pics/video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.