Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:08 AM

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! (43008 Views)

My Landlady And Her Daughter Want To Finish Me! / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. / My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Lakatabah: 12:08pm On May 07, 2022
Nairalanders, I need your help.

I just moved into this new apartment and within a month to the expiration of my rent, I got a call from the caretaker to see him and he told me they would be is increasing the rent unless I renew before it expires but I didn't have it at that moment and pleaded but he said that's the decision of the owners of the house.

The landlady leaves in the building as well but the caretaker receives rent payment and all for reasons best known to them.

I went to see the landlady and she stood her ground that if I can't pay I should leave. Well, I could deduce her actions for doing this as she had a quarrel with my fiancee and it has been settled but she still had it in her mind.

I don't why people have dumb mentality. A landlady and a tenant cannot quarrel and settle in peace anymore.

I choose to pay the rent increase last year in order to let peace reign. On a norms, I would never pay for such an increase( I mean from 200k to 250k) Now, I just got a letter delivered to me this morning which is a notice to quit as my rent just expired last month.

Normally, when my rent expires or about to, the caretaker will call me and ask when will I be renewing it but this time I didn't get anyone at all which means they actually planned it before now.

They didn't even call me for a meeting to discuss, who does that?

And on the letter, there was no reason stated on the quit notice and it's a 6 months eviction notice. I spoke to my lawyer and she said that's how they do these days issuing quit notice without prior notification even when you're paying constantly.

When I went to see the caretaker, he told me it was because I was absent in the last meeting that was held in the compound. What trash! I rained curses on him to the extent that he couldn't voice out a word again. Apparently, he was shocked as I'm always very gentle.

Are they sharing money in the meeting or what? Or I would leave my business and be in a meeting on a weekday when I can always get what was discussed in the meeting from people that were there.

The reason didn't even go down well with me as it got me really annoyed. I have decided to park out but I want to make sure they see pepper.

Can I stay up to a year or more before moving out?

Please I need your advice, thoughts, and ideas. Thanks in advance and pardon my typos as I'm typing from my phone.

41 Likes 10 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Mooh247: 12:11pm On May 07, 2022
cool

Over entitlement mentality on someone else property

You have 12 whole month to look for your next year rent and you claim you don't have it as at expiration of your rent you even want a reminder from your caretaker

You felt too busy to attend meetings in the house you reside, meeting regarding welfare of the house which is part of your core responsibility as a tenant

Your fiancee had a quarel with the owner of the property

You cursed the caretaker of the property

You better start looking for a new place because highest you can get is 3 month from the reciept of the first notice

Only in Nigeria will a Fool download Sokoloan App, read terms and conditions, collect loan spend it on frivolity and when the time to pay reaches he starts causing all sort of menace

You got 6 month quite notice but want a year free rent....

PS; on a lighter note... What if Buhari and Osinbajo decided to stay extra 6 month in Aso Rock Vila and Aguda house while they drag Nigerians to court

400 Likes 20 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by bomasek(m): 12:14pm On May 07, 2022
1st rule of the thumb,never stay in same compound your landlord lives.

If you are in Lagos,you can drag her to dispute resolution court at Alausa while you begin your hunt for a new apartment. Wish you the best

178 Likes 11 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by God1000(m): 12:15pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

You have 12 whole month to look for your next year rent and you claim you don't have it as at expiration of your rent

You felt too busy to attend meetings in the house you reside, meeting regarding welfare of the house which is part of your core responsibility as a tenant

they are not being kind to him

76 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by ttobizz(m): 12:17pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

You have 12 whole month to look for your next year rent and you claim you don't have it as at expiration of your rent

I suspect you're op's landlady

240 Likes 14 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Mooh247: 12:18pm On May 07, 2022
God1000:
they are not being kind to him

They are not duty bound to be kind to him, it is a contractual agreement they are on as long as the terms of the agreement are kept every other issue isn't a concern

If he was living in an apartment in a country that rent is paid monthly like UAE or UK he would have long been evicted

121 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Mooh247: 12:19pm On May 07, 2022
ttobizz:

I suspect you're op's landlady

I have handled horrible tenants before and I know how it feels.... They would start qouting human right over your sweat and blood even without contributing a bag of cement to you

163 Likes 9 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by AdeniyiA(m): 12:20pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

Quick advice, make sure you always read with understanding before commenting on a thread.

Someone once said if you want to hide anything from a black man , put it into a writing undecided

109 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by ojun50(m): 12:34pm On May 07, 2022
You have 6month to park out.

The landlord or landlady have the right to do any thing he or she do wish and how long he want his tetant to say.

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by mymadam(m): 12:55pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

You have 12 whole month to look for your next year rent and you claim you don't have it as at expiration of your rent...

Spot on undecided

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by SUPERPACK: 1:12pm On May 07, 2022
Since they gave you six months quit notice I will advise you keep to the notice and get a new place like you said since you are no longer wanted. Trying to stay one extra year with malice in mind can end badly for either you or the owner. Please avoid trouble by all means, and put yourself in the owners shoe because one day you too will be a landlord and wont like such from a tenant.

199 Likes 9 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by dulux07(m): 1:24pm On May 07, 2022
"Don't show them any pepper" it might boomerang, just pack out peacefully as soon as you can. No point staying in a house you are no longer wanted, besides you will still have to leave someday.

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Greatzeus(m): 6:47pm On May 07, 2022
@lakatabah,a lady you haven't married, already quarreling with your landlady? Now her action has led to you been evicted. I pity you,infarct I pity your mother most,your fiancée looks like someone that will show her in laws shege. I pity you too bro.

147 Likes 10 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Jayzee6: 7:58pm On May 07, 2022
Chai
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by 96ACE: 7:58pm On May 07, 2022
grin grin

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by kevovo: 7:58pm On May 07, 2022
Kpele

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Kobicove(m): 7:58pm On May 07, 2022
Offences
1 - Cantankerous live-in lover

2 - Non-attendance of landlord/tenant meetings

3 - Willfully insulting caretaker who is just a messenger for this purpose

OP please judge yourself - If you were a landlord would you tolerate a tenant with these characteristics in your property?! undecided

86 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Menance: 7:58pm On May 07, 2022
It's her house. you tenants dont listen

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by FinanceHub: 7:59pm On May 07, 2022
Happy Weekend

3 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by bigdammyj: 7:59pm On May 07, 2022
Reading...

Modified

Lakatabah:
Nairalanders, I need your help.
I don't why people have dumb mentality A landlady and a tenant cannot quarrel and settle in peace anymore.

I have decided to park out but I want to make sure they see pepper.

Look for money and get another accomodation as fast as you can. Do not wait for the 6months to meet you there, else, that caretaker will get back at you.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by zinaunreal(m): 7:59pm On May 07, 2022
Not possible

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by DropsMic(m): 8:01pm On May 07, 2022
Naija landlords

4 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Mindlog: 8:01pm On May 07, 2022
Lakatabah:

The reason didn't even go down well with me as it got me really annoyed. I have decided to park out but I want to make sure they see pepper.

Please I need your advice, thoughts, and ideas. Thanks in advance and pardon my typos as I'm typing from my phone.

For FREE? shocked

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by TCD: 8:01pm On May 07, 2022
Why would u want to stay a year before moving out? She has given you 6 monts notice for you to fnd a place and move. If a landlady doesnt want you, its her property, you have no rights to it. BE Honourable and move out within those 6 months.

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by DanjaNinja(m): 8:02pm On May 07, 2022
Typical Over entitled tenant. The landlady does not need a reason to serve an eviction notice. It's her property and she can do as she wishes with respect to the law. I know tenants like you. You feel because you pay rent you have some ownership stake in the property. You mentioned your rent expired last month. A responsible tenant would reach out to inquire about rent renewal options. But your type will never do that. Also you mentioned that the landlady made a rent increase last year. Yes, she can increase rent. Do you know how much it cost to buy land and build a property? Also why would your fiance quarrel with the landlady? Una no get respect?

p.s: A quit notice of 6months does not mean you get to live in the apartment free of charge for the next 6months. You will still pay for the 6months. If you like don't pay. She can take you to court and she would win. Nigeria is not as lawless as you people think. One day you would be a landlord and you would understand. Nonsense.

117 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by nurez305(m): 8:02pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

You better start looking for a new place because highest you can get is 3 month from the reciept of the first notice

we you keep kwayiet... Wicked people everywhere. I'm sure this is how you treat your tenant as well, that is if you even own a single block. Mtcheeew

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by pocohantas(f): 8:02pm On May 07, 2022
Your fiancee left her own house and came to yours to have a misunderstanding with your landlady?

Your fiancee should learn tact and conflict resolution first, because I am here wondering wetin bring that kind nonsense. Na my own be that.

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Emily22(m): 8:02pm On May 07, 2022
Your fiancee had a quarrel with your own landlady and you believed it's over, if we observe your babe, she no even reach the woman first child age.

Anyways, it's her house and her decision is final...enjoy the 6 month and please move out in peace cuz if you try to stay more than that 6 month.....it won't end well

If you like, rain curses on the caretaker, you will only make it worse during the 6 months..

Just leave the house in peace , don't even try to pay the 250k cuz the hatred is obvious now

32 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Lagos Building Collapse: 3 Dead, 3 Rescued As Search Continues / Man Builds A House For A Poor Widow In Imo (Photos) / Building A Student Hostel : Profitability And Challenges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.