Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,680 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:18 PM

The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla (79297 Views)

The Meanings And Origin Of Toyota Model Names / The Evolution Of Toyota Corolla From The Year 1966 To Present (photos) / The Evolution Of Toyota Camry From The Year 1983 To Present (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by uncleck: 7:48pm On May 07, 2022
A friend gave me the task of getting a Tokumbo Corolla for him and I have been on it for few weeks now. In this assignment I've come to realize that Corolla is now more expensive than the following vehicles:

Toyota Camry
Toyota Highlander
Acura MDX
Nissan Pathfinder
Honda Accord
Etc

It's just crazy!!! How can I pay over 3 million naira for a 2003 Corolla? How? I've told him I won't continue in the quest unless he makes another choice.

But why are people so in love with Corolla? I know that the car is strong and reliable, but it's definitely not the only strong and reliable car out there. When we were still in school, whether you scored 70% or 100%, it is "A". So if Toyota Corolla is good at 100%, there are still others that are good at 90%; both are good.

In place of Corolla, we still have Honda Civic, Mazda3, Hyundai Elantra, Kia Forte, Nissan Sentra, Camry, accord etc. They may not be as good as Corolla, but they are definitely not too bad. My opinion

209 Likes 14 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Omihanifa: 7:50pm On May 07, 2022
I think it's because the parts are readily available, it's also has a good resale value, the fuel economy is almost second to none and the mechanics are everywhere

257 Likes 15 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by doggedfighter(f): 8:15pm On May 07, 2022
That robbers' magnet. grin

320 Likes 20 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by uncleck: 9:06pm On May 07, 2022
Omihanifa:
I think it's because the parts are readily available, it's also has a good resale value and the mechanics are everywhere
It's not the only car with readily available parts. The over demand is why it has resale value.

374 Likes 17 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by uncleck: 9:07pm On May 07, 2022
doggedfighter:

The imaginary peace of mind that comes with owning a Corolla vanishes with insecurity

239 Likes 14 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by cutedharmee: 9:12pm On May 07, 2022
The way people now uses corolla undecided. You'll think there's more to it.

176 Likes 10 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by doggedfighter(f): 9:14pm On May 07, 2022
uncleck:

The imaginary peace of mind that comes with owning a Corolla vanishes with insecurity

I tell you.

What is the use of cheap spare parts and low

fuel consumption when I can't sleep with my two eyes closed. grin

282 Likes 11 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by oztin: 9:20pm On May 07, 2022
Back in the days M190 go the same way and Rx 300

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by uncleck: 9:27pm On May 07, 2022
oztin:
Back in the days M190 go the same way and Rx 300
M190 reigned amidst P504, V-boot, that other Mercedes, P505, that Volvo that is like palm tree etc. So the madness wasn't as that of Corolla. As for RX300, Camry 2.2 took it's shine.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by uncleck: 9:28pm On May 07, 2022
cutedharmee:
The way people now uses corolla undecided. You'll think there's more to it.
I tire o

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by uncleck: 9:29pm On May 07, 2022
doggedfighter:

I tell you.

What is the use of cheap spare parts and low

fuel consumption when I can't sleep with my two eyes closed. grin
You're talking of sleep, do you even drive a lonely road with your normal heartbeat?

236 Likes 20 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by doggedfighter(f): 9:31pm On May 07, 2022
uncleck:

You're talking of sleep, do you even drive a lonely road with your normal heartbeat?

Or sit beside the car when you attend a function instead of entering the hall cheesy

It's crazy !

318 Likes 19 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Idaytesj29(m): 9:34pm On May 07, 2022
doggedfighter:

I am telling you. The rate at which this car is been stolen daily is unrivalled by any other car . A situation whereby if you dont have a fence at home, your car isn't safe. You can't park by the road side for some minutes. Your mirror, door handles,rear light, pointers etc will be gone in flash.

If you park out side on the street till day break, the corolla will be naked by the morning. All its vital "organs" are harvested already.

You just can't have peace of mind using the car. There are far better, safer, reliable and cheaper alternatives.

Note: many young promising Uber drivers with brighter future ahead of them had been killed mercilessly leaving their young families behind because of these same Corolla. Wiser ones uses Civic and other brand types.

287 Likes 19 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by dollarprincess(f): 9:38pm On May 07, 2022
I hope the ride will cast soon make everyone go rest

85 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Trustme2(m): 10:20pm On May 07, 2022
If you no use corrola wetin you gain cheesy

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by DuvanZappatta(m): 10:37pm On May 07, 2022
uncleck:

You know wether na person own them thief come we'll give you? shocked tongue grin

11 Likes

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Anchor84: 10:43pm On May 07, 2022
I hv a 2004 corolla for 2.7m

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by tonididdy(m): 10:44pm On May 07, 2022
Resale value and Uber potentials but at 3m for an oh3 is totally avoidable.

Same car was worth 1.8 4yrs ago (direct toks)

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by ogwuche4u(m): 10:46pm On May 07, 2022
I own a Peugeot 307 and I tell for a fact that corrola doesn't come close to it. In terms of fuel economy, availability of spare parts, the 307 is top much. Nigerians are just wired to Corolla because of how they abuse vehicle. Every car is good. Maintenance is key to enjoying a car. I even laugh more when people compare Toyota to Peugeot 406. Have you asked yourself why they use 406 as pilot 1 for long distance journey? Enough of this Corolla madness.

320 Likes 25 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by bonnyhope: 10:48pm On May 07, 2022
uncleck:
A friend gave me the task of getting a Tokumbo Corolla for him and I have been on it for few weeks now. In this assignment I've come to realize that Corolla is now more expensive than the following vehicles:

Toyota Camry
Toyota Highlander
Acura MDX
Nissan Pathfinder
Honda Accord
Etc

It's just crazy!!! How can I pay over 3 million naira for a 2003 Corolla? How? I've told him I won't continue in the quest unless he makes another choice.

But why are people so in love with Corolla? I know that the car is strong and reliable, but it's definitely not the only strong and reliable car out there. When we were still in school, whether you scored 70% or 100%, it is "A". So if Toyota Corolla is good at 100%, there are still others that are good at 90%; both are good.

In place of Corolla, we still have Honda Civic, Mazda3, Hyundai Elantra, Kia Forte, Nissan Sentra, Camry, accord etc. They may not be as good as Corolla, but they are definitely not too bad. My opinion

Last year I intentionally sold mine and I bought Matrix, although it is corolla in another shape.

Corolla now is like pure water

88 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by bonnyhope: 10:50pm On May 07, 2022
ogwuche4u:
I own a Peugeot 307 and I tell for a fact that corrola doesn't come close to it. In terms of fuel economy, availability of spare parts, the 307 is top much. Nigerians are just wired to Corolla because of how they abuse vehicle. Every car is good. Maintenance is key to enjoying a car. I even laugh more when people compare Toyota to Peugeot 406. Have you asked yourself why they use 406 as pilot 1 for long distance journey? Enough of this Corolla madness.

How are you coping with electrical problems with Peugeot

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by ogwuche4u(m): 10:57pm On May 07, 2022
bonnyhope:

How are you coping with electrical problems with Peugeot

Honestly I have no electrical problem on my Peugeot. It's serving me well. All I do is routine service and that's all.

86 Likes

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by NotBeenPaid: 5:06am On May 08, 2022

No price regulatory bodies. Ineffective governance churning out degenerative economic policies.

I mean how the hell would a 2003 car cost this much after 19 years. This can only happen in Nigeria.

143 Likes 11 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by shrewdmuse: 6:40am On May 08, 2022
uncleck:

Toyota Camry
Toyota Highlander
Acura MDX
Nissan Pathfinder
Honda Accord
Etc

Hi,

Corolla is an all round exceptional car with very good resale value.

If you need cheaper, I have a Super Sharp Foreign Used 2006 Toyota Corolla going for N2.850m last. ( Lekki - 08099990323)

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by shortgun(m): 6:48am On May 08, 2022
Corolla is over hyped, dull,unsafe and uninspiring piece of ugly metal that is littered all over our roads.
It's the band wagon mentality of Nigerians that made the car expensive, Nigerians like to copy others without any assurance that what they are copying will favour them.
Same reason every corner of every street is filled with POS operators.
Same reason every parent want their children to be Doctors or lawyers.

Nigerians are mentally lazy to research any product, scheme or brand they want to commit money into....this is why Ponzi people are cashing out big.

The only condition that a Nigerian needs to do a thing is if someone has done it before.

Corolla will continue to be over priced as long as we have brain washed people with no ability to think for themselves.

The annoying part is that the drivers of this abomination of a car now behave like that proverbial butterfly that thinks itself a bird.... imagine a corolla challenging a 3.0l engine vehicle to a race.

356 Likes 32 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by uncleck: 6:53am On May 08, 2022
Anchor84:
I hv a 2004 corolla for 2.7m
Nigerian used, shey?
Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by uncleck: 6:54am On May 08, 2022
tonididdy:
Resale value and Uber potentials but at 3m for an oh3 is totally avoidable.

Same car was worth 1.8 4yrs ago (direct toks)
Na the Uber factor mostly

23 Likes

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by uncleck: 6:56am On May 08, 2022
bonnyhope:

Last year I intentionally sold mine and I bought Matrix, although it is corolla in another shape.

Corolla now is like pure water
Na you be the person wey sell monkey buy dog...all dey squat

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by uncleck: 7:00am On May 08, 2022
shortgun:
Corolla is over hyped, dull,unsafe and uninspiring piece of ugly metal that is littered all over our roads.
It's the band wagon mentality of Nigerians that made the car expensive, Nigerians like to copy others without any assurance that what they are copying will favour them.
Same reason every corner of every street is filled with POS operators.
Same reason every parent want their children to be Doctors or lawyers.

Nigerians are mentally lazy to research any product, scheme or brand they want to commit money into....this is why Ponzi people are cashing out big.

The only condition that a Nigerian needs to do a thing is if someone has done it before.

Corolla will continue to be over priced as long as we have brain washed people with no ability to think for themselves.

The annoying part is that the drivers of this abomination of a car now behave like that proverbial butterfly that thinks itself a bird.... imagine a corolla challenging a 3.0l engine vehicle to a race.
It's still a mystery how Corolla challenges highlander in terms of price

77 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by Trustme2(m): 7:17am On May 08, 2022
NotBeenPaid:

No price regulatory bodies. Ineffective governance churning out degenerative economic policies.

I mean how the hell would a 2003 car cost this much after 19 years. This can only happen in Nigeria.

Have you asked what the price range of these cars cost at auction, what the exchange rate of the naira to dollar, how about the constant increase in towing and ocean freight, how about customs duties that's crazy, how about repairs when it lands in Nigeria and other exigencies, how about profit. These are the factors that makes these cars really expensive not peculiar to TOYOTA CARS alone. Mind you, our naira is useless $ to Naira is N600 and sometimes it's really difficult to get. So what can a dealer do? I tell you at that N3m no dealer can make 200k on a 2005-2007 Corolla except the car is already a junk
Now that it's on FP let me break this down
Auction price+ Auction Charges= $3000
Average Towing fee depending on location= $600
Ocean freight= $1,250
Clearing = N550k
Repairs and other exigencies = 100k
Total $ cost = $4,850 × 600 = 2,910,000
Clearing = 550,000
Repairs/ contingencies = 100,000
Profit = 150,000
Total = 3,710,000
Now the culprit here is the "Naira"
This submission is just a picture of the verge cost of getting a good car that's without so much accident. Corolla at auction are quite expensive

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Crazy Price Of Toyota Corolla by NotBeenPaid: 7:35am On May 08, 2022
Trustme2:

Have you asked what the price range of these cars cost at auction, what the exchange rate of the naira to dollar, how about the constant increase in towing and ocean freight, how about customs duties that's crazy, how about repairs when it lands in Nigeria and other exigencies, how about profit. These are the factors that makes these cars really expensive not peculiar to TOYOTA CARS alone. Mind you, our naira is useless $ to Naira is N600 and sometimes it's really difficult to get. So what can a dealer do? I tell you at that N3m no dealer can make 200k on a 2005-2007 Corolla except the car is already a junk

It still boils down to bad policies.

12 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Pictures: Presidency Officials Now Use Innoson Suv's / ******Kakaki presents: Your Daily Car TIPS****** / Full Body Of A Moving Car Being Washed In Lagos Traffic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.