Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,841 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:34 PM

Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month (25815 Views)

Nigeria Seeks Extension Of Closing Date For World Bank's $500m 'COVID-19' Loan / Robert Clarke: Atiku, Obi’s Lawyers Didn’t Display Professionalism / Reno Omokri: Comparing Obi's Tenure To Tinubu's Is Like Night And Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by Buhariiswicked: 8:18pm On May 09, 2022

Elder statesman, Chief Robert Clarke, has called for the extension of President Muhammadu Buhari’s tenure.

The Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), who said this on Monday, argued that the months preceding the 2023 elections are not sufficient to put an end to the insecurity, making the conduct of election possible.

Speaking when he featured on ARISE Television, Clarke maintained that the Constitution provides that the President can extend his tenure for six months, in the first instance, if he feels that conditions are not good to carry out elections.

He averred that it was wrong to believe that the President cannot stay in office for more than eight years of two tenures.

Clarke said the President can continue to give himself fresh six months extension a time elections could be held.

He said: “The Constitution provides that the President can stay longer than eight years. I’ve always said it. It is in the Constitution. If the situation in which we’re in now continues, and it is impossible to vote in the 2023 election, the Constitution says if a situation persists, the President will write INEC in view of all insurgencies, in view of kidnappings, in view of Boko Haram, I don’t think in these different areas of Nigeria, we can have a good election.

“The Constitution says I am going to stay for six months and in the first instance. So, the fact that the Constitution says the president cannot stay for more than eight years is wrong. Because the same constitution says he can be giving himself six six months if those conditions persist.

“Now, I don’t see any green light. I don’t see how what is happening today can be stopped within a period of six months from today or before February next year when the elections will be held.

“The alternative then is for Mr. President to continue as president, allow the security watches to carry up the mopping up and Nigeria will become stable.

“Because I swear to God Almighty, without stability in Nigeria, without security, Nigeria is going nowhere. No foreigner will bring his money and put in any business in Nigeria, when he knows that any of his expatriates who are sent to Nigeria can be kidnapped at any time. So, until all these things are sorted out, I don’t see any green light.”

“If nothing happens before the elections, God forbids, this country will be in flames,” Clarke warned.

The legal luminary regretted that the country has not been well run since the advent of the latest democratic dispensation in 1999, citing attempts to subvert the Constitution by explioting its loopholes.

He added: “I am 84 years old, and I can assure you I’ve had the best time in my life, both in my legal practice, in my social life, in every aspect of life, but I can assure you, that those days are gone by. Since 1999, I have not been a happy man, the way and manner Nigeria has been moved.

“For instance, look at our first President, Obasanjo with due respect. What was the first negative act he did? I want a third term. Can you imagine? But he says, oh, it’s not me who wants it, is my friend who are asking me to go for a third term.

“That is how we started 1999 constitution by looking for loopholes to breach the Constitution. I don’t see any green light for Nigeria. And if we’re not careful, if we’re not careful…the only consolation is this.”

Clarke’s call for tenure elongation followed earlier suggestion by another legal luminary, Chief Afe Babalola, to suspend the 2023 general elections while an interim government should be instituted at the expiration of President

https://dailytrust.com/just-in-senior-lawyer-seeks-extension-of-buharis-tenure

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by MrALIVE: 8:37pm On May 09, 2022
May thunder fire your mouth there!!!

491 Likes 37 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by LogicBomb8: 12:09am On May 10, 2022
Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by LogicBomb8: 12:13am On May 10, 2022
If "end xrx 2" neva happen dis people no go respect us

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by flemsy15(m): 12:21am On May 10, 2022
Something that couldn't be done in 8 years will be achieved in 6 months

198 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by Adegokenath(m): 4:42am On May 10, 2022
Nigeria is finished in a saint country this man should have been in prison by now

153 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by Creditalerts: 4:43am On May 10, 2022
cry
This guy don collect

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by bennybuhari: 4:43am On May 10, 2022
Baba Clarke is suffering from dementia

166 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:43am On May 10, 2022
Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots

Our Darling Daddy respect the Rules of Law.

Every sane, honest and hardworking Nigerians know that by now.

Only Cannibals, murderers and online touts will ever doubt this.
If you are one of the aforementioned, quote this post now.

We Rise.

7 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by yrret: 4:44am On May 10, 2022
Mad people everywhere with professional titles.

#sellthiscountry

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by Compliant(m): 4:44am On May 10, 2022
LAWYERS ARE THE MAJOR PROBLEM OF THIS COUNTRY

78 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by LordGuru1: 4:45am On May 10, 2022
Wonderful!

I heard of Southern useful idiots.
Now I know it's true.

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by descarado: 4:45am On May 10, 2022
Yes o. Nigerian men undecided
Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by NonFarmPayrol: 4:45am On May 10, 2022
Lol
Una go burn this country
One day na one day
This is a very sensitive topic the so called san
Should hVe not raised

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by ovie8200: 4:46am On May 10, 2022
It's so embarrassing to have this kind of person as someone father. How stupid can he be.....for 8 years, the stupid and useless illetrate who couldn't solve security situations and instead he made it worse. May God punish your mouth for say such.

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by 43Ronin: 4:46am On May 10, 2022
Give whoever is der as buhari anoda 6 years the situation will still not change

5 Likes

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by gwinaB(m): 4:47am On May 10, 2022
They have started

6 Likes

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by dhameelare(m): 4:47am On May 10, 2022
Haaaaaaa....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by shankara7: 4:47am On May 10, 2022
Rivers people are usually not intelligent. I'm not surprised

17 Likes

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by CharleyBright(m): 4:48am On May 10, 2022
Useless Charge and Bail Lawyer.
You say wetin?
Extension kee you there!!!
Thunder go fire you and Buhari if he doesn't vacate Aso Villa on May 29th 2023.
We will march to the villa and kick he useless and clueless ass out.
OLoriburuku Fulani bigot that has taken the country 30yrs backward.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by cumoverna: 4:49am On May 10, 2022
To do this person something de hungry me

15 Likes

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by supereagle(m): 4:50am On May 10, 2022
God will extend the suffering of those who have hands in extending our sufferings in Nigeria. What he didn't finish in 8 years, will now use 6 months to complete it?

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by donproject2(m): 4:51am On May 10, 2022
W
Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by Jeffyblaq(m): 4:52am On May 10, 2022
Adegokenath:
Nigeria is finished in a saint country this man should have been in prison by now
Sane buddy. Ok

2 Likes

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by Biafranodogwu55: 4:53am On May 10, 2022
Wetin lack of sense no go cause...i feel like turning this robert whatever to smoked fish

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by ssogundele(m): 4:54am On May 10, 2022
Ha! Upon all the brouhahas we are contending with? Adding this one that has the tendency to super ignite the country into flame! Can someone help me to describe this elderly man? Why always southerners? The infamous Arthur Nzeribe of ABN, Kanu of Abacha and others. I am ashamed

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by ABANGWABOI(m): 4:55am On May 10, 2022
May Amadioha Lick your Anus with a sharp Razor...
Aturu rere ere. ...

Lee ka odi ka Usu Bini..

Mkpo mbe..

6 Likes

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by Mindlog: 5:03am On May 10, 2022
Give Buhari 8 more years, security will continue to worsen and for the economy, it will become once upon a time.

5 Likes

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by Dwin046(m): 5:07am On May 10, 2022
Nobody should abuse the old man, I think it's old age, don't blame him,

3 Likes

Re: Robert Clarke Seeks Extension Of Buhari’s Tenure, To Be Extended Every Six Month by Moneyyman: 5:07am On May 10, 2022
But when Jonathan asked for a few weeks extension due to insecurity, he was insulted and called evil names.

What a life!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

INEC Result Sheet For Presidential Election In Bauchi Found In Anambra / EFCC Obtains Court Order To Detain Fayose For Two Weeks / 2023: We Will Kneel, Beg Wike Not To Dump Our Party – PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.