Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,019 members, 7,799,478 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:15 PM

2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae (30631 Views)

2023: If We Want To Zone, Presidency Should Go To The South East – Sen. Adeyeye / El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 / Owie Rowland: Presidency Should Remain In North For Another 8 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by oshozondii: 7:04am On May 11, 2022
•Say ‘no peace, progress in a country rooted in injustice'

FORMER president, Olusegun Obasanjo, has restated his position that the South-East should be allowed to produce Nigeria’s President in 2023, insisting that it would ensure peace, justice, fairness and sustainable national development in the country.

Similarly, former secretary to the Government of the Federation, Olu Falae, also threw his weight behind a South-East presidency, noting that it is the only zone that has not produced the president in recent times.

Obasanjo, who addressed members of Political Action Committee, PAC, of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, who visited him at his Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library, Abeokuta, to solicit his support for the quest for a Nigerian President of South-East extraction, said the minimum Nigerians would accept is that the next president should come from the South.

Ime Obi Ohanaeze Ndigbo, at its meeting, last week, mandated its president general and the secretary to constitute a political committee to go around the country to solicit support for a president from the South-East.

The Ohanaeze team consists of Ambassador George Obiozor, the President General; Ambassador Okey Emuchay, the Secretary-General; former president generals of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Nnia Nwodo, and Gary Igariwey.

Others are Professor Anya Anya, former Chairman, Police Service Commission, Simon Okeke, and Dr. Chiedozie Ogbonnia, the National Publicity Secretary of Ohanaeze Ndigbo.

“The next president of Nigeria must come from the South East. The least acceptable minimum is a president from the Southern part of Nigeria”, Obasanjo was quoted by Ohanaeze Ndigbo’s spokesman, Alex Ogbonnia, as saying.

The former President, who commended Ohanaeze Ndigbo for demanding their rights, told the delegation that what he “owes Nigeria is sincerity, objectivity and guidance.”

He maintained the need for morality, equity and justice in a multi-ethnic, multi-religious and multi-cultural country like Nigeria, warning that “it is inconceivable to have peace and progress in a country that is rooted in injustice.”

Obasanjo said: “Federal character, rotation of power and such other measures are meant to help our nation-building process and more sure-footedly, move Nigeria forward” and warned that “riding over these measures rudely, shoddily and roughly cannot augur well for our nation-building process and progress.”

In his remarks, Obiozor commended the former president for his unwavering commitment to peace and unity of Nigeria, saying that Obasanjo remains one of the strongest voices in Nigeria and one of the most respected Nigerians in the world because of his track records of accomplishments while his tenure lasted as the President of Nigeria.

He commended him for his courage, sincerity, steadfastness and passion for justice, especially as it affects the Igbo and the future of Nigeria.

For national unity, peace, it’s turn of S-East —Falae

Also throwing his weight behind a South-East presidency, Falae, who spoke in an interview, said the region has not produced a president in recent times.

The former Minister of Finance said: “I expect that the South East will have a fair chance to ask for the president of Nigeria because in recent times the president has not come from the South-East. I said in recent times.

“For national unity and peace, yes, but the South East is not the only zone that has not produced the president in recent times. There are six zones now and in the recent past, the zones that have produced the president are the North-West, South-West and South-South.

“The North-Central, North-East and South-East have not produced president in the recent times, so there are three that have equal rights to ask for it if we want to be fair

“If we want to use North and South, then it’s two (North and South) I insist it must come from the South because the present president is from the North.

“However, if we are talking of zones within the six geopolitical zones of Nigeria, then we cannot limit it. We must look at all the zones that have not produced the president.”
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/05/2023-presidency-should-go-to-s-east-obasanjo-falae/

67 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by Tonypens48(m): 7:05am On May 11, 2022
While the act of competence, charisma and a vision-oriented Presidential aspirant can be well presented in all tribes and geo-political zone, with respect to fairness and the conventional agreement held in the past on sequential zoning of elections, it clearly shows that it is the turn of the south-east to produce a president and to deny them indicates the arbitrary nature of the party they find themselves. smiley smiley

Every sane Nigerian without sentiment knows this, and this we can see in the news above.
Nigeria will be great again.

Kindly check my signature below for your Academic research services(Assignments, Projects, business proposals, advertisements, etc...)

144 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by KUNZEH(m): 7:07am On May 11, 2022
Their opinion

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by PennywysCares(m): 7:11am On May 11, 2022
cheesy

Peter Obi is the man

There's no other candidate eligible to govern this country, even the drugee Lagos landlord knows he is wasting Lagos money he stole

237 Likes 21 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by Agwotulumbe(f): 7:11am On May 11, 2022
grin

that's why I love real Omoluabis not those Tinubu criminals.
a logical mind will see the same thing those elders are seeing.
you want presidency to be zoned to the south because it's their turn yet you want to corner it you wey don do your turn in both VP and presidency?
is that not greed?
Hehehehehe it's better to be thrown open so that whoever has the majority will be elected.
it's SE or SS presidency or the north continues.
no wey for Tinubu criminals.
2023 will not be APC vs pdp rather it's election of interest and personality.

182 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by McOluOmo: 7:11am On May 11, 2022
Talk today, deny tomorrow

Guys wey no get girlfriend get peace of mind

14 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by Corporate2020: 7:12am On May 11, 2022
Yes, Presidency should go to the South East in 2023. But, Igbos must fight for it. Presidency will never be zoned to any Igbo village.

Obasanjo, Buhari, Goatluck, Yar'Adua, all contested against candidates from other regions, including Igbos. So, Igbos too should come out as they have already done, present not more than two consensus candidates and mobilize for them to face candidates from other regions.

There is no single Igbo coward on Earth, none ever existed. Anybody bearing Igbo name and saying that the Presidency should be zoned to Igbo villages without contest by other regions, is definitely a bastard. Igbos will face anybody in any contest.

Several Igbos have contested for and won political offices in UK, USA, Canada, e.t.c., why then will a true Igbo man be afraid of contesting against other regions right here in their father's land?

60 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by Deejaygold(m): 7:12am On May 11, 2022
grin

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by GOATandYAMtheory: 7:12am On May 11, 2022
Foolish old men

The president of Nigeria can and should never come from that region, not now, not ever.

Those hateful and selfish creations don't deserve presidency of Nigeria.

Nigeria president should never be picked from an mkpurumiri guzzling gathering

44 Likes 11 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by ATEAMS: 7:12am On May 11, 2022
Believe in youself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:12am On May 11, 2022
SOUTH EAST: IS IT NOT TOO LATE?

I have read the recent transmissions by Senator Bukola Saraki directed at my Igbo tribe. I have deliberately kept mum on this as I had earlier resolved to speak less on Igbos as regards the 2019 Elections and 2023 Presidency having said quite a bit. 

However seeing as some of my brethren have swallowed the cheap bait, I will chip this in just to keep the reality before us, at least for posterity sake. Truth is bitter but it's still the best medicine. 

My people say; 'He who does not remember where the rain started beating him, will not remember where it stopped'. 

REWIND TO 2014. 
A new National Party was being conceived. Political Parties, political players and Regions were being wooed to the new alliance. 

'We' Igbos (read South East) vehemently refused to touch it even with a long pole. We packaged, sold to ourselves and bought the baseless propaganda that it was an Islamic alliance that would birth an "Islamic" and "Hausa" Party. Simply because those our brethren heavily invested in the PDP at the time were afraid of losing their vested selfish interests.
Till today I'm still trying to fathom the basis for that wicked and twisted deceit especially as many of those Igbo elites who sold that dummy have since ported to the same APC.

We failed to even identify with that new Alliance. Hence the Party, APC was birthed without any remarkable input from us or presence. The few amongst us who aligned were called all kinds of names and abused to high heavens by us even when they were proven right afterall.

Thus the few Igbos who were part of it were at best fringe players as they didn't have the required clout to make serious demands and do the necessary political wheeling and dealing required in Politics to strike the hard bargains since politics is all about interests and numbers. They were even suspect, so much so that it was only their personal political sagacity that gave them whatever they got.

That Party went on to win the Presidential Election which in truth, most of us never believed it could or would, because of our half baked permutations and poor understanding of Nigerian politics. But it did. 

Curiously we turned up at the fore front of telling this same Party how it should share it's 'spoils of war'. We became hypocritical moral champions with an over bloated sense of entitlement. Who does that, in all political reality and practicality? But we did, even while vehemently and vociferously still refusing to shift our position, style and rhethoric.

We dug in. Supported every bad thing and person against the Party, the elected President and the Administration while denying any and every good done to and for our Region.

Fast forward to where we are today. Almost four years after the 2015 misadventure, we have stayed put at 2015, refusing to move forward, refusing to shift grounds, refusing to play pragmatic politics, telling ourselves the same lies we cooked and bought in 2015 and some more. 

Now after election, we have started again saying "APC cannot give Presidency to Igbos in 2023". "Buhari cannot hand over to an Igbo man because Buhari hates Igbos". "APC is deceiving you", bla bla bla.

Of course. We will believe Saraki, who has only but a fanthom dream of becoming President and whose only known record is selfishness but we can't believe Buhari who's already President and who has a record of voluntarily picking two great Igbo sons as running mates in the past? Chukwu aju.

It is interesting and vital to note here that the PDP which many of us still proudly support and adore was in power for 16 solid years and in those years there were 4 Presidential Inaugurations and on none of those was an Igbo man found worthy by the PDP of even Vice Presidency and we are still bold to say it is the APC that has not even finished one tenure that doesn't want to give power to Igbos. Odi nma. 

NOW; Seriously, let's be sincere. As things stand today politically, why would the APC even hand power to us Igbos in 2023? 
On what grounds? 
On what records?
On what politics?
Is power given to anyone? 
Is it an appeasement or a gift? 

The APC is a political party. The main focus of a political Party is to hold power and keep it to enable it deliver on its agenda. So if the APC reads that the SE does not want the Presidency or does not have the capacity to help them win and keep power, they will stick with the regions that can and work with individuals who are interested. 

Make no mistake, I have always said, I do not blame us Igbos for the decision majority of us took in 2015. It's our right. But continuing to pretend that it was other regions, Buhari or the APC that made us do what we did then or remain where we are today is purely self deceit and I refuse to play that ostrich game. 

As far back as 2014, I and many others made that argument that Igbo Presidency was very feasible in 2023, ONLY under under the APC, ONLY IF we did a couple of things right politically. I personally continued to speak loudly on that even after the 2015 elections until when I realized that we were not ready to play the politics that was required and now I dare say it may be too late. Or is it not? Time will tell.

For now, we can continue to tell ourselves that we cannot hold the Presidency of Nigeria. We heard and read many of our brethren go from PDP to Biafra/seccesion (read IPOB) to Referendum to "Igbos do not need Presidency but Restructuring" etc forgetting that all that didn't lie squarely with us alone. We think other regions are not reading our body language?

We really don't care what Saraki writes or says because they've all come to realize that it's very easy to play us like a flute. So like Saraki, like Fani Kayode, like Fayose, like Atiku, even Jonah Jang of all people, they keep playing us.

We have learnt not to bother ourself anymore to avoid unnecessary arguements with nonentities
As some of us have said, it's good governance we want, even if only one village will be producing the Presidents. So be it..

Ka Chineke mezie okwu.

omoalaro:
Wow, this surely is one of the best written opinion I have read this year.
Only a sensible person like you can ever see sense in this.
Glad to see we still have intelligent people with a sound mind like you around.
God bless you.
God bless Nigeria.

25 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by smatt1711: 7:12am On May 11, 2022
Currently South East has the best candidates that can make this country richer, that can develope this country, that can solve most of our problems, that can compete with other world leaders..... A leader that will ensure we stop living like we are in the jungle but the problem is hate......

The problem of Nigeria is not corruption but HATE.... Corruption exist in every society..... Is only HATE that can prevent a society from having its best at the top..... And once the best is not at the top then the leadership can not enforce perfection because they too knows they are not close to de best.....

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by GooodHardDick: 7:13am On May 11, 2022
I support OBJ 100%

This is why Nigerians have decided that it is Peter Obi they want. We Nigerians are voting massively for Peter Obi come 2023!

Peter Obi, president Federal Republic of Nigeria 2023

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:13am On May 11, 2022
Godjone:
If is not Peter Obi, then Buhari should continue

Just imagine your comment last night, no wonder.
And you are here quoting and wailing on our comment about a better Nigeria.
Shame on you.
Replying some of you is nothing but a waste of space and time.

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by PrinceOfLagos: 7:13am On May 11, 2022
Obasanjo and Olu falae are Igbos for saying the truth according to Cursed, useless and poverty stricken Tinubu supporters

This is what I've always been about on this forum but the useless and lowlife Tinubu goats will call me Omo Ibo as if they are more Yoruba than I am

Bunch of fools

Nigeria should burn to ashes if the Igbos re denied presidency in 2023

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by freeman4ever(m): 7:13am On May 11, 2022
Hmmmmm Tinubu won't like this : shocked shocked shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by Raxxye(m): 7:13am On May 11, 2022
At this point in time in Nigeria, I choose "competence" over "fairness and equity".
Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi is the most competent from the lot that have expressed interest in the presidency so far. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi is our preferred choice.
Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by ZombieTAMER: 7:14am On May 11, 2022
Yoruba Muslims over to you..

the guy below me says there's no competent person in the East.. only in the land of YouTube Muslims.
tomorrow they will call northerners greedy and born to rule.

I come in peace.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by uzohrome(m): 7:14am On May 11, 2022
Peter Obi comes to mind but at the end Obi will be vice-president to Atiku

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by naheem8307(m): 7:14am On May 11, 2022
Their say
Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by OnyeOlokoro(m): 7:14am On May 11, 2022
Not south east but Peter Obi

9 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by Tranquillity360: 7:14am On May 11, 2022
I pray and wish that presidency not to come East,so that those selfish politicians in East will give the youths and the people a bit chance to pursue our main goal which is not to continue sharing the same country with those that hate us.
Those that don't care about developing the country, Those that rejoices when innocent people are killed in East by Nigeria army but start acting caring when one security is killed in East.

Those that wishes us evil and deaths, but Chukwu Okikeabiama continue keeping us stronger than our enemies.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by Mandate2023: 7:14am On May 11, 2022
Dey just dey press igbos mumu botton

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by ImDStar: 7:14am On May 11, 2022
That's just common sense.
Would you now said Obasanjo is an Igbo?

We should stop justifying evil and unfairness if we want progress.

5 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by Igbodicool(m): 7:15am On May 11, 2022
They will call Obasanjo an Igbo.
You will see how they will start insulting their god Falae because he told them the bitter truth.

Yoruba is more dangerous than Fulani herds men and bandits.
Very greedy set of Satan rejected sons of fallen demon.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by ifex370(m): 7:15am On May 11, 2022
D
Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by BabaO2: 7:15am On May 11, 2022
Complex man, we dont want sustainability of the country. Why still preserving the nonsense template that your colonial masters handed over to you.
Re: 2023 Presidency Should Go To The South-East — Obasanjo, Falae by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:15am On May 11, 2022
They know they are joking

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Peter Obi Grassroots Evangelism In Kaduna State (Photos) / Outrage As FG Abandons N140bn 2nd Niger Bridge / Current State Of Aba Roads, Credits To Governor Okezie Ikpeazu : Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.