Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,359 members, 7,808,244 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:19 AM

Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? (32692 Views)

My First Time Seeing GSD Mixed With Nigerian Local Dogs / Where Can I Get Nigerian Local Dog Puppies In Lagos?[suggestions Needed] / Five Reasons You Should Own A Nigerian Local Dog ''ekuke'' Over Foreign Breeds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by VPN11(m): 1:15am On May 12, 2022
Why do people hate these cute Nigerian Local dogs?

They are so lovable and they don't get sick.

What is wrong with the Nigerian Local Breed of dog?

A very wealthy man once came with his dog to the clinic for medical attention but before he came, he had called me. I was really expecting a German shepherd dog or a Rottweiler but lo and behold it was our Nigerian local breed of dog. To be candid, I saw disappointed faces among my staff but I tried to be nice to the man by saying nice things about his dog. We still did our examination and clinical procedures and issued the man his bill which he cleared happily.

Out of curiosity, I asked him why he chose a Local dog. He answered: “I guess I have to answer this question for the rest of my life”. He narrated his story about all the dogs he ever acquired and the sad way they all died. He spoke long about a Caucasian breed he once owned that was more of a companion to him & the way he usually goes to evening walks with that dog. The death of that dog made him give up on keeping dogs entirely but on narrating his story to a friend, his friend told him that our local breeds hardly die of all these diseases so he considered getting one.

I thank God that most members of my staff heard the story. After the man left I raised the question: “But what is wrong with our Nigerian local breed?” One of them said that it belittles the man, that a man of his status should own one of the best breeds available. So I asked again that considering his story about his experience with those breeds they preferred, what can they say? The other echoed that the man must have contacted inexperienced vets to treat his dogs. I only wanted to hear from them. I saw from their views, a resentment for the local breed.
The Nigerian local breed has been called all sorts of names such as “Ekuke”, shit eater, stray dog, local dog, “shinee” to mention but a few. These names are derogatory in nature to make the dog look unimportant and undesirable. “Ekuke” as they are popularly called are the dogs preferred as food for the cultures that eat dog meat popularly called “404” (four-ow-four). They are the cheapest dogs to buy in Nigeria. They are sold as little as one thousand five hundred naira (N1,500) about $10 (ten US dollars).

So what is bad about the Nigerian Local breed?

If you ask many Nigerians that resent this breed of dog the reason why they dislike it, they won’t be able to give you concrete reasons. Many of us have seen very intelligent local breeds. Many of them are trained and used for hunting bush meat by locals in which they perform excellently well. In the rural areas these dogs are usually the best for securing the compound or yard against intruders, although they are good at alerting against strangers. I have seen many of these dogs doing spectacular things but I guess like Jesus said: “A prophet is not recognized in his environment…” I have seen foreigners who prefer our own breed to theirs, pointing out the unique features they possess while we, Nigerians buy books to read about the foreign breeds.
I guess we, Nigerians should start to love our local breed of dogs and also acquire and keep them just like the man in the story above.

Let me tell you a fact that Local Nigerian breeds resist many of the diseases other foreign breeds will die readily from here in Nigeria. So think about it.

Here are some of the dog breeds that make up the Ekuke

1.Basenji

2.Azawakh

3.Greyhound

By Kodichukwu Okonkwo, DVM

96 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Hausa(m): 2:22am On May 12, 2022
Lol, eku-uke.

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by VPN11(m): 3:03am On May 12, 2022
Hausa:
Lol, eku-uke.

grin

84 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Realist12: 3:08am On May 12, 2022
Africans adore anything imported.

326 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by VPN11(m): 3:25am On May 12, 2022
Realist12:
Africans adore anything imported.

Your so right 100%
Our; so call Ekuke; can survive multiple diseases;they are hunters ,they live long,if they are not hunted down for food (404).[/b]They are native /indigenous to our region;low maintenance;the merits are enormous.

[b]Thanks

166 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Richy4(m): 4:16am On May 12, 2022
Most Nigerian dogs are really really skinny haba!! Was it because of the Nigerian Economic situation or just how they are?..

Though I am not an Animal person..I don't just like anything creeping around the house but if I should make a choice , those dogs that looks three months old year in year out will be my choice... At least it won't go about producing massive shit like the others.. embarassed

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by tillaman(m): 4:28am On May 12, 2022
Ekuke
Disease resistant, The hustler mehn you don’t have to worry about feeding it e go sort am alone
E go still born pikin wey you go fit sell
The problem be say e too dey skinny

115 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by SporaD8: 4:54am On May 12, 2022
Richy4:
Most Nigerian dogs are really really skinny haba!! Was it because of the Nigerian Economic situation or just how they are?..

Though I am not an Animal person..I don't just like anything creeping around the house but if I should make a choice , those dogs that looks three months old year in year out will be my choice... At least it won't go about producing massive shit like the others.. embarassed
Depends on your budget.
Vets/Feed'em well and they'd be as big as you want. What made our local breeds skinny will actually kill your preferred foreign breeds.

142 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Dshocker(m): 4:56am On May 12, 2022
They are hardly taken to a veterinary doctor,meaning they have rabies and if there were attack of armed robbers on your property,it is still the same dog that will show the robbers where you are hiding.

Ekuke dey chop shit

145 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by fineboynl(m): 4:59am On May 12, 2022
It has the strongest gene and immune to deceases. It fatality rate is very low and loyal to their owner.

The problem is that It's too common and easy to take care of. It can be easily seen on the street and trash bin eating sh*t. They easily follow any body that give them food.

But trust Nigerians. They want something foreign and a rare bread and end up spending money to take care of it.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Nobody: 4:59am On May 12, 2022
Ekeuke well me I no hate am

13 Likes

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by diransom: 4:59am On May 12, 2022
VPN11:

grin
because they aborb rabbies

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by dynicks(m): 4:59am On May 12, 2022
That's all !!

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by ABG2222: 5:00am On May 12, 2022
They look malnourished and lack confidence. Just one stone and they're gone.

Even if you feed them , they always like skinny

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Bashnigga(m): 5:00am On May 12, 2022
cos dem dey chop sh-it undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by coast2sahara: 5:01am On May 12, 2022
Because, e dey eat shit and if e bite you, you don get dog rabies be that. If you know treat am well, na so you go start dey bark like dog and person fit die o.

29 Likes

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Roon9(m): 5:02am On May 12, 2022
Ekukeeee! They are very annoying

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Mooh247: 5:02am On May 12, 2022
cool

Bingo sef Na part of Nigerian Citizen

Very rugged dogs

16 Likes

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by nony43(m): 5:02am On May 12, 2022
They are not so aggressive. One time when I was sleeping, the nkita came to my ears and barked like to tell me it 7.00 already.

If thieves comes to your house, them go leave you run.

92 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by chukwuibuipob: 5:03am On May 12, 2022
sad they aren't aggressive

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by DuBLINGreenb(m): 5:03am On May 12, 2022
They are very skinny and they eat dung and many claim they aren’t very smart or trainable unlike GS’s, rots and co.

+ there is excess supply of them in the market so they are very cheap and not fashionable.

16 Likes

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by McOluOmo: 5:03am On May 12, 2022
Bingo them wey dey chop shit..

Guys wey no get girlfriend get peace of mind

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by jendhorlee(m): 5:04am On May 12, 2022
Nice write-up op
To be honest, i don't understand the resentment too. I own a very beautiful local dog, considering how i take care and feed her constantly, people do think she's pregnant considering how big and healthy she is

One of our relatives came to visit us, she couldn't close her mouth when she saw my mom giving the dog bread and Tea grin grin grin
If you see The way she opened her mouth ehn cheesy cheesy
When she eventually spoke, she said "you're giving a Dog bread and Tea"?

I said Yes, we feed her anything we eat in this house also
She just shook her head in pity. Lol

I don't understand why people think they don't deserve to be treated right
Foreign dogs have nothing over our beloved Ekuku cool cool

160 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by AntiChristian: 5:05am On May 12, 2022
I don't like dogs generally as a Muslim.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by Nobody: 5:05am On May 12, 2022
grin you mean Those bingos that just eat left over stuffs from dump sites?
Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by koolaid87: 5:05am On May 12, 2022
Cos Ekuke loves eating Poo with their ugly long mouth

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by dochenaj: 5:06am On May 12, 2022
VPN11:
Why do people hate these cute Nigerian Local dogs?

They are so lovable and they don't get sick.

What is wrong with the Nigerian Local Breed of dog?

A very wealthy man once came with his dog to the clinic for medical attention but before he came, he had called me. I was really expecting a German shepherd dog or a Rottweiler but lo and behold it was our Nigerian local breed of dog. To be candid, I saw disappointed faces among my staff but I tried to be nice to the man by saying nice things about his dog. We still did our examination and clinical procedures and issued the man his bill which he cleared happily.

Out of curiosity, I asked him why he chose a Local dog. He answered: “I guess I have to answer this question for the rest of my life”. He narrated his story about all the dogs he ever acquired and the sad way they all died. He spoke long about a Caucasian breed he once owned that was more of a companion to him & the way he usually goes to evening walks with that dog. The death of that dog made him give up on keeping dogs entirely but on narrating his story to a friend, his friend told him that our local breeds hardly die of all these diseases so he considered getting one.

I thank God that most members of my staff heard the story. After the man left I raised the question: “But what is wrong with our Nigerian local breed?” One of them said that it belittles the man, that a man of his status should own one of the best breeds available. So I asked again that considering his story about his experience with those breeds they preferred, what can they say? The other echoed that the man must have contacted inexperienced vets to treat his dogs. I only wanted to hear from them. I saw from their views, a resentment for the local breed.
The Nigerian local breed has been called all sorts of names such as “Ekuke”, shit eater, stray dog, local dog, “shinee” to mention but a few. These names are derogatory in nature to make the dog look unimportant and undesirable. “Ekuke” as they are popularly called are the dogs preferred as food for the cultures that eat dog meat popularly called “404” (four-ow-four). They are the cheapest dogs to buy in Nigeria. They are sold as little as one thousand five hundred naira (N1,500) about $10 (ten US dollars).

So what is bad about the Nigerian Local breed?

If you ask many Nigerians that resent this breed of dog the reason why they dislike it, they won’t be able to give you concrete reasons. Many of us have seen very intelligent local breeds. Many of them are trained and used for hunting bush meat by locals in which they perform excellently well. In the rural areas these dogs are usually the best for securing the compound or yard against intruders, although they are good at alerting against strangers. I have seen many of these dogs doing spectacular things but I guess like Jesus said: “A prophet is not recognized in his environment…” I have seen foreigners who prefer our own breed to theirs, pointing out the unique features they possess while we, Nigerians buy books to read about the foreign breeds.
I guess we, Nigerians should start to love our local breed of dogs and also acquire and keep them just like the man in the story above.

Let me tell you a fact that Local Nigerian breeds resist many of the diseases other foreign breeds will die readily from here in Nigeria. So think about it.

Here are some of the dog breeds that make up the Ekuke

1.Basenji

2.Azawakh

3.Greyhound

By Kodichukwu Okonkwo, DVM

How does #1500 translate to $10? Did you copy this post from 10 years ago?

113 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by bezimo(m): 5:06am On May 12, 2022
This my Bae's dog..wey dey sleep for human beings bed, dey climb couch relax inside house.Lol
I prefer small dogs like this though. The difference between oyibo dogs like this and Nigerian dogs..is more than 7 ups.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by elitper: 5:06am On May 12, 2022
Even you wen be Nigerian human being, you like yourself?

52 Likes

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by posty56: 5:06am On May 12, 2022
because they're are dirty , unkept ,and may be filled with disease,plus they have this local looks that's not attractive at all, German Shepherd all the way

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by koolaid87: 5:07am On May 12, 2022
AntiChristian:
I don't like dogs generally as a Muslim.

And im sure Dogs dont like you as a sheeple

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Hate Nigerian Local Dogs? by TOPCRUISE(m): 5:08am On May 12, 2022
Wrong. Calabar people like Nigerian local Dog.

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

10 Countries Where Your Pet Is Just Livestock / Residents Kill Dog That Killed 50 Goats & Sheep In Kenya (Photos) / Jungle Justice On A Pet Python: Man Inspired By Pretty Mike Acquires N23k Python

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.