Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,510 members, 7,808,865 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:14 PM

Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures (8778 Views)

Fayose Paying Compensation Before Demolishing Illegal Structures (picture) / Okorocha Demolishes Illegal Structures/Brothel In Owerri (Photos) / Every Illegal Structures In Aba Must Go Down, Vows Dr Ikpeazu (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by EkoIle1: 2:45am On Jul 13, 2011
By Miriam Ndikanwu 8 hours 31 minutes ago
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
Fashola Fashola

Following the devastating impact of the Sunday flood on residents and businesses across the Lagos metropolis, the state Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, has ordered immediate demolition of a church built on drainage channel in Bariga area of the state.

The governor, who gave the directive during an inspection of the area on Tuesday, also instructed that all illegal structures erected on the drainage channels be pulled down.

He blamed the casualties recorded in the massive flood that swept across the state on distortion of the state built environment by certain individuals.

Inspecting the extent of damage in Bariga axis of Lagos, Fashola said a Pentecostal church named Faith of Christ Evangelical Church must be demolished because it sited on the drainage channels thereby obstructing the free flow of water to Awofodu canal.

He explained that the major problem confronting the city is that of indiscipline on the part of residents who he said prefer to break the law and do the wrong thing at the detriment of other teeming Lagosians who pay the prize when the disasters occur.

He appealed to residents of Lagos to desist from indiscriminate dumping of refuse on the drains, noting that haphazard way of building without approval from the government would no-longer be tolerated by the government.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/12165-lagos-flood-fashola-orders-demolition-of-church-other-illegal-structures.html?print
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by EkoIle1: 2:52am On Jul 13, 2011
Flood in Lagos: No tolerance for building on drainage channels -Gov Fashola

| Print | E-mail

Written by Wednesday, 13 July 2011

For the second day running, Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN), on Tuesday, undertook a tour of flood affected areas in parts of the state as a result of last Sunday’s heavy rain, saying government would identify and remove all obstructions to drainage channels in the state.

Governor Fashola, who inspected drainage systems in Gbagada, Somolu, Iganmu and parts of Surulere, said his administration would no longer tolerate the construction of structures or any other form of human intervention on established drainage and flood channels in the state adding that enforcement would be stepped up immediately.

Speaking particularly on the siting of building on Soluyi drainage channel in Gbagada, Governor Fashola noted, “the channels are there and they are working. But these flood mishaps are largely due to human intervention and obstruction of the channels either by building on them or by blocking them with refuse or other items of such nature.

“We were just told by the Permanent Secretary (Drainage) that we are standing on a drainage channel, a channel that flows into Odo Iya Alaro River; that drains Gbagada and Soluyi. Now, this sand-filled place was not here two months ago when the permanent secretary and his team were here. Now they have sand-filled the water path; you and I are standing on it because people want to build houses,” the Governor said.

Pointing out other structures such as fence and a building which were not there when the permanent secretary and his team visited the place two months ago, Governor Fashola declared, “now, this we will not tolerate. We are coming back here and the people of Soluyi must take note that we will be back here to re-establish this canal.

“When nature takes its course as a result of human action, people’s lives are disturbed and it leads to anguish, but we are the cause. This is the time we must stop people from playing games and putting other people’s lives at risk.”

Governor Fashola assured that contractors were working on the different drainage systems across the state to re-establish the canal lines so that there would be free flow of water during the rains adding that there was need for more dredging of the waterways which, according to him, had become heavily silted, in order to make them deeper and increase their capacity to hold water in bigger tranches and give more efficiency to the system.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/24978-flood-in-lagos-no-tolerance-for-building-on-drainage-channels-gov-fashola
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by ideylaff: 2:59am On Jul 13, 2011
Well done Mr Governor, that's better, much better, keep it up,

can u see what criticism can do, keeps u on your toes,
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by Nobody: 3:06am On Jul 13, 2011
This isn't a result of criticism,

I usually criticize Fashola while being objective with it,  Unlike people blaming the flood on him, I think it could have been worse given that Lagos is close to the ocean,

Let's fault Fashola when need be not when something happens beyond his control!! Flood destroys homes in places with better drainage than Lagos!! There is no perfect drainage for flood, it can only be reduced.

My problem is with Lagos haters who if paid a million naira to return to their eroded habitat, they will sue lol!!!

Let's be real here! This man is doing his job well and better than other state governors!! Please don't mention Amaechi and who not?
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by jmaine: 3:24am On Jul 13, 2011
He appealed to residents of Lagos to desist from indiscriminate dumping of refuse on the drains, noting that haphazard way of building without approval from the government would no-longer be tolerated by the government.

Good quote . .with these . .  . .the perennial problem of flooding in Lagos would be greatly mitigated  . . .
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by Kobojunkie: 3:50am On Jul 13, 2011
He came in demolishing structures left and right since 2007. Yet the floods situation continued to escalate over those same years. I am all for removing structures that may be blocking claimed drainage ways and all the lot but is this a brash move to calm the air or something?  Would this energy not be better spent on building better drainage systems at this time since it costs money to demolish and that is what he has been doing since day one of office.
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by aljharem3: 3:56am On Jul 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

He came in demolishing structures left and right since 2007. Yet the floods situation continued to escalate over those same years. I am all for removing structures that may be blocking claimed drainage ways and all the lot but is this a brash move to calm the air or something?  Would this energy not be better spent on building better drainage systems at this time since it costs money to demolish and that is what he has been doing since day one of office.

no kobo we have had this discussion before

there is what they call natual water way in which water passes throught a particular route because of factors such as the land gradient, soil and rock

also the amount of water

if houses are built in those route and the government build a drainage, it is just the matter of time the water would burst the bank

i don't know but even i and fashola are think the same way

lets see how it goes and for the record, this is the first time the are destroying houses because of water ways
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by Kobojunkie: 4:04am On Jul 13, 2011
alj_harem:

no kobo we have had this discussion before

there is what they call natual water way in which water passes throught a particular route because of factors such as the land gradient, soil and rock

also the amount of water

if houses are built in those route and the government build a drainage, it is just the matter of time the water would burst the bank

i don't know but even i and fashola are think the same way

lets see how it goes and for the record, this is the first time the are destroying houses because of water ways

And like I told you before . . . . STOP making stories up if you are UNABLE to substantiate them. If you cannot show, with data that structures SUDDENLY started blocking water channels in the last, I don't know, 3 or 4 years, then I suggest you stop trying to sell me that bull argument.

And correction, this is not the first time the state is destroying illegal structures. It has been happening for a while now . . . more so in the last 4 years under this same administration.
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by EkoIle1: 4:05am On Jul 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Governor Fashola assured that contractors were working on the different drainage systems across the state to re-establish the canal lines so that there would be free flow of water during the rains adding that there was need for more dredging of the waterways
which, according to him, had become heavily silted, in order to make them deeper and increase their capacity to hold water in bigger tranches and give more efficiency to the system.

From the same article you refused to read and comprehend because of your hate and need to belittle everything.
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by ziga: 4:07am On Jul 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

And where would he build the "better drainage"?? In the air undecided
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by Nobody: 4:07am On Jul 13, 2011
ziga:

Help me ask am ooo,
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by aljharem3: 4:08am On Jul 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

And like I told you before . . . . STOP making stories up if you are UNABLE to substantiate them. If you cannot show, with data that structures SUDDENLY started blocking water channels in the last, I don't know, 3 or 4 years, then I suggest you stop trying to sell me that bull argument.

grin grin grin

you see koboj we are not talking of old houses or building built duing colonal era

what we are talking about are illigal structures built recently but greed people on water routes

what data do u want me to provide "is it a date that shows houses vs water route" this is intuition really

infact people are even building houses on canals
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by Kobojunkie: 4:27am On Jul 13, 2011
alj_harem:

grin grin grin

you see koboj we are not talking of old houses or building built duing colonal era

what we are talking about are illigal structures built recently but greed people on water routes

what data do u want me to provide "is it a date that shows houses vs water route" this is intuition really

So, someone says "illegal structures" and you think old houses and aged structures? Are you sure you have ever lived a day of your life in Lagos before? Cause I find it hard to believe that someone who has would assume that "illegal structures" refers to old colonial structures.  undecided undecided undecided

Look, I think you should stop trying to sell me your nonsense logic at this point as it is obvious you are just trying to do it for the sake of just posting. Offering me bullcrap as you continue to, will not stop me from posting what I know to be the case.  . . just so you know.
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by aljharem3: 4:38am On Jul 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

So, someone says "illegal structures" and you think of old houses and what nots? Are you sure you have ever lived a day of your life in Lagos before? Cause I find it hard to believe that someone who has would assume that "illegal structures" refers to old colonial structures.  undecided undecided undecided

Look, I think you should stop trying to sell me your nonsense logic at this point as it is obvious you are just trying to do it for the sake of just posting. Offering me bullcrap as you continue to, will not stop me from posting what I know to be the case. . . just so you know.

kobo kobo i knew u no go gree sha grin grin grin

ok did u read and comprehend what i posted because i know it is a bit hard to understand my english grin(iam working on it)

alj_harem:

grin grin grin

kobo i have lived in lagos

and i was NOT referring to old structures as illegal i was referring to new buildings

i am not trying to sell anything to u koboj. we were just discussing that's all.

( i mean what is the meaning of all the "bullcrap" and others u are writing"wink
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by Kobojunkie: 4:41am On Jul 13, 2011
I am saying illegal structures and someone feels he needs to DEFINE illegal structures. That shows a disconnect, of some kind, and I am sorry I don't believe you have ever lived in Lagos. No lagoscian would have done that.

Look, I spent my life in that state and I know quite well how terrible the drainage system in Lagos is when compared to developed/semi-developed cities, some even in Africa. I have witnessed rains come in and sweep away whole bridges connecting communities . . . I have seen how the rains can create gullies and essentially wash houses away in the same Lagos, not because the rains were particularly heavier than years before, but mainly because we chose to ignore the need to create better channels for the water to flow through.

Building a structure on a water way is NOT a problem as long as the plan includes building alternate channels for the water to flow away. This is water we are talking about here. It has no brain to demand the channel be the original one or it refuses to flow via the alternate. Ancient man has been channeling water for the longest. This is nothing new and so does not qualify as a good excuse for what has been happening.
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by Seanet1000: 4:53am On Jul 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I am saying illegal structures and someone feels he needs to DEFINE illegal structures. That shows a disconnect, of some kind, and I am sorry I don't believe you have ever lived in Lagos. No lagoscian would have done that.
Nawa for you o. Yesterday you were complaining that Fashola is not doing anything about the Flooding, today you are saying the structures that he want to demolish because the obstruct the or divert the water courses are not illegal as declared by Fashola, may be Fashola should bring the masterplan to your room over there before you believe the church and other structures are illegal. BTW, you can get this people a solicitor to challenge this in court. Oga fun e gan ni.
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by EkoIle1: 5:08am On Jul 13, 2011
Seanet1000:

Nawa for you o. Yesterday you were complaining that Fashola is not doing anything about the Flooding, today you are saying the structures that he want to demolish because the obstruct the or divert the water courses are not illegal as declared by Fashola, may be Fashola should bring the masterplan to your room over there before you believe the church and other structures are illegal. BTW, you can get this people a solicitor to challenge this in court. Oga fun e gan ni.

It's called trolling and mindless ramblings,
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by Nobody: 7:57am On Jul 13, 2011
@eko ile and alj_harem: why on earth would you argue with kobo?
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 13, 2011
ziga:

Seanet1000:

ROFLMAO
Una get to time sha to argue with that one.talking with her is like talking to a wall.
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by Gbawe: 8:50am On Jul 13, 2011
aasog1:

@eko ile and alj_harem: why on earth would you argue with kobo?

Thank you !!! She is the worst example of a coward who shirks the responsibility of putting her money where her mouth is. Yet she wants to retain toxic and unreasonable pessimism plus the right to speak in a manner that shows she see nothing good in anything or anyone to do with Nigeria. That would be even semi acceptable if she were not such a coward who prefers to malign others constantly while not ready , even for one second, to inspect her own role or obligation - however miniscule.

Just find the thread where Jarus asked me , Beaf and Kobo to defend the Presidential candidates we had all backed vociferously. I.e Ribadu, GEJ and Buhari respectively. I took up the challenge and so did Beaf. Kobojunkie instead chickened out with some pathetic excuse. Jarus had to then draft in someone else to argue Buhari's case !!! Classic cowardice!!!! I.e criticise everyone and everything all day long yet 'dissapear' when called upon to facilitate , in your own little way, the change you claim to want !!!!

Folks like Kobo are not fit to criticise Fashola or even Bode George because we know she will certainly not step up to the platform if given a chance. I will continue to taunt her with this example because it shows she has no right to be so critical of others when she is not even ready to accept a small challenge to do her bit and sway opinions when it really mattered - i.e before the elections. She is just a perennial self-hating pessimist who criticises for the sake of it and loves the sound of her own voice . You will never find her saying anything good/constructive about Nigeria or Nigerians. Like someone noted, she will criticise Fashola for inaction yet , when he acts, she only wants to look for negatives !! Abeg , Eko Ile and Alj Harem, is this even a person to respond to given how predictably negative, pessimistic and devoid of constructive criticism her argument will be?
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by sirjec(m): 9:09am On Jul 13, 2011
Why are we only reactive in this country? We know that something can cause problem, we will not do it till it causes the problem. We we were approving the buildings we know will block water channels, were we not aware it will backfire in future? We need to be proactive.

If those houses got the needed approvals, are they not going to be compensated? God help this country. Nigeria is defined as a country with citizens who know the solution of their problems but will not do it, rather will prefer to cry and make noise without actions backing their noise. Sorry oo. Eko oni baje oo
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by Nobody: 9:19am On Jul 13, 2011
Gbawe:

Thank you !!! She is the worst example of a coward who shirks the responsibility of putting her money where her mouth is. Yet she wants to retain toxic and unreasonable pessimism plus the right to speak in a manner that shows she see nothing good in anything or anyone to do with Nigeria. That would be even semi acceptable if she were not such a coward who prefers to malign others constantly while not ready , even for one second, to inspect her own role or obligation - however miniscule.

Just find the thread where Jarus asked me , Beaf and Kobo to defend the Presidential candidates we had all backed vociferously. I.e Ribadu, GEJ and Buhari respectively. I took up the challenge and so did Beaf. Kobojunkie instead chickened out with some pathetic excuse. Jarus had to then draft in someone else to argue Buhari's case !!! Classic cowardice!!!! I.e criticise everyone and everything all day long yet 'dissapear' when called upon to facilitate , in your own little way, the change you claim to want !!!!

Folks like Kobo are not fit to criticise Fashola or even Bode George because we know she will certainly not step up to the platform if given a chance. I will continue to taunt her with this example because it shows she has no right to be so critical of others when she is not even ready to accept a small challenge to do her bit and sway opinions when it really mattered - i.e before the elections. She is just a perennial self-hating pessimist who criticises for the sake of it and loves the sound of her own voice . You will never find her saying anything good/constructive about Nigeria or Nigerians. Like someone noted, she will criticise Fashola for inaction yet , when he acts, she only wants to look for negatives !! Abeg , Eko Ile and Alj Harem, is this even a person to respond to given how predictably negative, pessimistic and devoid of constructive criticism her argument will be?

She's nothing but a webtrovert.we know people like her;always seeking atention.all you need is just ignore her like a piece of thrash.
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by Kx: 9:24am On Jul 13, 2011
Without being a BFR critic,
could nt he have ordered that all unapproved structures on the drainage channels be demolished
instead of singling out and mentioning church?
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by ektbear: 9:29am On Jul 13, 2011
Good.
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by Nobody: 9:29am On Jul 13, 2011
Kx:

could nt he have ordered that all unapproved structures on the drainage channels be demolished

Honestly,I still credit El-Rufai as the best minister in FCT.Fashola needs to learn from him in terms of illegal structures.
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by ektbear: 9:35am On Jul 13, 2011
Kx:

But the title of this thread says church and other structures. Maybe the largest one there is a church? I don't see any reason to suspect his motives.
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by Seun(m): 9:57am On Jul 13, 2011
Why didn't he do this before?
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by Nobody: 10:04am On Jul 13, 2011
Seun:

Why didn't he do this before?

If Fashola had demolished peoples' houses during the dry season,they would have come out to rubbish him as an elite government cuz the poor will suffer most from such demolition.El-rufai did it in @abuja even when most thought it was rather harsh and unnecessary,just a few of us still appreciate him till date for restoring the Abuja masterplan while others despised him for demolishing their illegal houses.
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by blacksta(m): 10:08am On Jul 13, 2011
I guess the best should have been pre-emptive rather than reactive.
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by Nobody: 10:12am On Jul 13, 2011
Baba Fashy! Now you are Talking! Tu ailae Babaa! grin
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by MMM2(m): 10:16am On Jul 13, 2011
I think fashola has lost it.
Re: Lagos Flood: Fashola Orders Demolition Of Church, Other Illegal Structures by tunde300us(m): 10:19am On Jul 13, 2011
@blacksta, whether pre-emptive or reactive ,that amount of rain that fell in lagos would shake any city

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Inspector General Of Police Declares Christmas Crime-Free / How Are You Celebrating Nigeria At 56? / We Have No Confidence In CONFAB Report- Presidency Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.