Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,797 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:42 PM

How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? (17890 Views)

Stolen Vehicle: Please My Toyota Camry Was Stolen Yesterday In Lagos / How To Avoid Buying A Foreign But Stolen Car In Nigeria / Car Tracking Story: How I Recovered My Stolen Vehicle... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by ShenTeh(m): 7:04am On May 17, 2022
The basic rule in making such purchases is 'If in doubt, don't'.

Otherwise, what you consider a 'cheap buy' today may become a cheap bile tomorrow.

Invest in your future peace of mind. It's invaluable.
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by Kajaard: 7:04am On May 17, 2022
Youngaboy:
My friend want to sell a car, he has been using this car for long, but the issue is that, the car papers bears a company's name, the company he was working with.
Asking him, he said his boss bought the car for him from the company, and he want to sell the car now, so I don't know what and what to check, I don't want to buy a stolen car that'll put me in trouble later.
Please if you know anything I can do to verify this, please do let me know.
It's urgent before someone else buy the car.

Mod front page please.

I wonder why we keep asking questions that even nursery kids can answer.

Since you know the name of the company he used to work for, why don't you just go there and enquire from the HR or Admin department if really the car was stolen or has been passed on to the guy legally?

I just tire for some kind of questions sha.

5 Likes

Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by alizma: 7:05am On May 17, 2022
iyatrustee:
If his company sold the car to him, there should be an official document transferring title and ownership to him. This should be on the company leatherheaded paper and duly signed. If he has this, then you are covered.

I worked in a company that auction off its cars to staff every 4yrs
Can I buy one through you when the next auction is on?

1 Like

Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by largeman4u(m): 7:06am On May 17, 2022
Buy from reputable dealer not thugs

Make sure your confirm the custom paper

Make sure you pay into the same account name with the car documents

Also get an expert to check engine and gear before paying

Buy from @largemanmotors - 07033815252

Check my signature for Cars
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by dayspring24(m): 7:09am On May 17, 2022
I went through a similar deal. I contacted a government consultant on vehicle licensing and he advised me on what to do.
You will have to do a Sale Agreement which the company whose name is on the vehicle papers will sign. With the Sale Agreement you will now proceed to vehicle licensing office for a change of ownership. When this is done all the vehicle papers will be renewed bearing your name

5 Likes

Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by mexioni(m): 7:17am On May 17, 2022
To avoid buying a stolen car, know your source.
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by Killermamba: 7:28am On May 17, 2022
Youngaboy:
My friend want to sell a car, he has been using this car for long, but the issue is that, the car papers bears a company's name, the company he was working with.
Asking him, he said his boss bought the car for him from the company, and he want to sell the car now, so I don't know what and what to check, I don't want to buy a stolen car that'll put me in trouble later.

Mod front page please.
After payment get him to sworn an affidavit for the car purchase and also secure a police extract as well and also get a police CMR with the CMR you know if the car was stolen on not.
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by illuminutty: 7:30am On May 17, 2022
lifezone247:
Buy in cotonou simple

Tell me more about this. My present car was bought in Cotonou and it is due for change. I lost the contact that led me to Cotonou and facilitated the deal including clearing and delivery to Lagos.
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by greggng: 7:33am On May 17, 2022
Youngaboy:

Mod front page please.

Take the plate number to vio..they will get you the info of the real owner of that car. The moment you got it ...check whether the information from vio tallies with the info on particulars. Ensure chasis number or vin number matches with what is on car wind screen or car body ...I mean the seal placed on the driver side door.

If all this matches , ask him for sales agreement BTW him and the company . Or document showing the car has been transferred to him ..look for a document called proof of ownership or the allocation of plate number document...check if the company phone number is there . Call it to confirm if they authorise the sale . At this point the truth go come out .

Cars of thus nature from company can land person for jail ...infact , visit the company to clarify issues b4 buying

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:34am On May 17, 2022
Take the engine number to Roadsafty
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by otomatic(m): 7:38am On May 17, 2022
Apart from handing over the original papers, the company would have also given an official letter on their letterhead to the buyer to show that they have sold it to him. That is the letter your friend would have used to effect a change of ownership.
Let him show you that letter. Then run a due diligence check with the company.
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by PNomsule: 7:39am On May 17, 2022
laluski:

Simple
Yet not so simple... i bet you he knows this yet he needs discretion
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by PNomsule: 7:41am On May 17, 2022
Fiscus105:

He supposed to have changed it to his name long time before now.

Meanwhile, in addition to other advice above, you can also go to court with him and do affidavity

I fancy your resolve on this. Advise him to change ownership in his name with the VIO and you are good. Doesn't take more than 48hrs max

1 Like

Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by Hdhdhd(m): 7:47am On May 17, 2022
Is not hard. Leave your money in your account, Stay in your house and avoid taking their calls. Simple
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by nedekid: 7:48am On May 17, 2022
Possibly after the car was bought from the company, the fellow continued renewing the documents on the companies name instead of getting a new registration and number plates to save cost.
This is a normal thing people do(wrong though) .
All you need is the sales receipt the company issued, a deed of sale too from your guy along with change of ownership and you are good to go.
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by senatrpaichulo(m): 7:50am On May 17, 2022
Youngaboy:

Mod front page please.

Simple as ABC!!! Tell him the change of ownership note should be typed with the company letter head, that's all.
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by Nobody: 7:52am On May 17, 2022
Youngaboy:

Mod front page please.
I once bought an Honda from Guinness that year,had no custom papers,just allocation and police report.drove for 2 years then sold it offf….what I learnt from my transaction was that,company cars rarely have custom papers because they are purchased brand new….

1 Like

Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by phemmyfour: 7:57am On May 17, 2022
Youngaboy:

Mod front page please.
Verify his clams by contacting the Company
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by koko3: 8:00am On May 17, 2022
1. Copy the VIN or Number Plate - The VIN number can be seen on the bottom right (The steering) from outside. Take it to License office, they will give you the history of the users of the car till date. Call each and every number registered to the chassis number to be sure they actually sold it to the current user.

2. Police Report and Affidavit - Ensure you do a police and court affidavit showing that you're the lawful owner of the car now.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by virginchaser(m): 8:09am On May 17, 2022
Dshocker:
Always make sure you get an authentic police report

If you read police report further, it always states that this report does not prevent future investigation if need be.
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by mukthar2000(m): 8:11am On May 17, 2022
No problem about that brother, is matter of change of ownership in Court and proper documents, the boss might paid the his company instalment from his or her salary to have the car and the boss might be the person that have many cars.
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by Ezidimma(m): 8:16am On May 17, 2022
Very Simple
Buy a Brand New Car
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by olubless90: 8:16am On May 17, 2022
There should be an evidence sales of the car to your friend, with that; involve a lawyer and police near to you to seal the deal....

But if there is no evidence of sales, its ur duty to get clear proof the car was sold out to your friend...
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by virginchaser(m): 8:17am On May 17, 2022
At least money transfer indicating car purchase.
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by Ekeeyhandsome(m): 8:21am On May 17, 2022
I don't know how it's done in naija but here in SA , before you conclude the deal, u must take the car documents to the nearest police station to certify if it's stolen or not .
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by Nobody: 8:25am On May 17, 2022
Look for a place that they sell new and old cars that will be better, over here we sell old and cars location uyo
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by cardoctor(m): 8:28am On May 17, 2022
Just buy. Settle police later.
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by President2001(m): 8:29am On May 17, 2022
Hezzyluv:

If you agreed with him on the price, then both of you should go to police station close to you and seal the deal. By so doing, you save meyourself from trouble in the future. That's if it's a stolen car.
This is a very good advice but bet it with me Police will tell you the officer that attend to you is not from there station
Re: How Can I Avoid Buying A Stolen Vehicle? by Ishilove: 8:31am On May 17, 2022
iyatrustee:
If his company sold the car, there should be an official document transferring title and ownership to him. This should be on the company leatherheaded paper and duly signed. If he has this, then you are covered.

I worked in a company that used to auction off its cars to staff every 4yrs. Sometimes, we effect the change in ownership with VIO, but some others choose to maintain status quo and drive around with the company name to save cost.

End of story. Go to police, involve lawyer blah blah blah as if it is free of charge.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Purchasing A New Kia Rio / Please Stay Off Tokunbo Tyres At All Cost! I Drove 130mph Or 209km/h... / Fake Transfer From A Rider

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.