Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,865 members, 7,802,778 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

Examining John 20:17 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Examining John 20:17 (367 Views)

Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation / Why Daddy Freeze Blocks People On Instagram. Examining Reasons / Examining Talk That Jehovah's Witnesses Are The Only Ones Preaching Out There (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Examining John 20:17 by madegreatbygrace(m): 11:41pm On May 15, 2022
TOUCH ME NOT; FOR I AM NOT YET ASCENDED TO MY FATHER .........

Examining John 20:17

What did Jesus really mean when He uttered those words?

On the surface, it appears Jesus was warning Mary not to touch Him, especially when you read from the KJV

Then the question is why would He not want her to touch Him ?

After all, Jesus allowed some disciples to touch Him about the same time.

“And as they went to tell His disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, “Rejoice!” So they came and held Him by the feet and worshiped Him.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭28:9‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Since He allowed Himself to be touched by His disciples, what reason was there for forbidding Mary to touch Him?

There is a misconception.

The misconception is that Jesus warned Mary not to touch Him so as to prevent Him from being defiled before ascending to the Father as our high priest, thereby rendering Him unfit, alluding to Exodus 29:35

Fact is, Mary was already clinging to the saviour when He said those words !

If we look more closely at the Greek construction, we’ll come to the realization that Jesus actually said , “Mary don’t cling to me.”

Present and continuous action

This is why the NKJV and some other versions render it differently

“Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.’ ””
‭‭John‬ ‭20:17‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“Jesus cautioned her, “Mary, don’t cling to me, for I haven’t yet ascended to God, my Father. And he’s not only my Father and God, but now he’s your Father and your God! Now go to my brothers and tell them what I’ve told you, that I am ascending to my Father—and your Father, to my God—and your God!””
‭‭John‬ ‭20:17‬ ‭TPT‬‬

“Jesus said to her, Do not cling to Me [do not hold Me], for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to My brethren and tell them, I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.”
‭‭John‬ ‭20:17‬ ‭AMPC‬‬

““Don’t cling to me,” Jesus said, “for I haven’t yet ascended to the Father. But go find my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’””
‭‭John‬ ‭20:17‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Thus, it’s obvious the emotional Mary went beyond touching our Lord and Saviour but actually clinged to Him.

Apparently, by holding on to Him, she was trying to prevent Him from leaving her again.

“My Lord, you left us three days ago. You can’t just leave again. Please stay, “ she seemed to be saying .

Hear the Master’s implied response:

“Mary, i have not yet ascended to the Father. I’m still here bodily. You’ll be afforded many more opportunities to see me bodily. Forty more days, Mary . More or less . Forty more days in which i shall remain on earth so that my disciples can enjoy my presence. Afterwards, you’ll not see me again bodily. After this resurrection comes my ascension. Meanwhile, there’s something i want you to do for me. Go to the brethren and inform them that I’ve risen, and also tell them that I’ll ascend . Stop clinging to me and do this immediately.”

Jesus was not a levitical high priest, neither was He a direct descendant of Aaron. He was (and ever is) a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.

He has nothing to do with the duties of the earthly high priest. Mary was simply being told not to cling to Him because He was still here, not having ascended to the Father.

He died

He rose

He ascended

Behold He lives forevermore

Hallelujah!

2 Likes

Re: Examining John 20:17 by Merino(m): 10:04am On Jun 28, 2022
madegreatbygrace:
TOUCH ME NOT; FOR I AM NOT YET ASCENDED TO MY FATHER .........

Examining John 20:17

What did Jesus really mean when He uttered those words?

On the surface, it appears Jesus was warning Mary not to touch Him, especially when you read from the KJV

Then the question is why would He not want her to touch Him ?

After all, Jesus allowed some disciples to touch Him about the same time.

“And as they went to tell His disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, “Rejoice!” So they came and held Him by the feet and worshiped Him.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭28:9‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Since He allowed Himself to be touched by His disciples, what reason was there for forbidding Mary to touch Him?

There is a misconception.

The misconception is that Jesus warned Mary not to touch Him so as to prevent Him from being defiled before ascending to the Father as our high priest, thereby rendering Him unfit, alluding to Exodus 29:35

Fact is, Mary was already clinging to the saviour when He said those words !

If we look more closely at the Greek construction, we’ll come to the realization that Jesus actually said , “Mary don’t cling to me.”

Present and continuous action

This is why the NKJV and some other versions render it differently

“Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.’ ””
‭‭John‬ ‭20:17‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

“Jesus cautioned her, “Mary, don’t cling to me, for I haven’t yet ascended to God, my Father. And he’s not only my Father and God, but now he’s your Father and your God! Now go to my brothers and tell them what I’ve told you, that I am ascending to my Father—and your Father, to my God—and your God!””
‭‭John‬ ‭20:17‬ ‭TPT‬‬

“Jesus said to her, Do not cling to Me [do not hold Me], for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to My brethren and tell them, I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.”
‭‭John‬ ‭20:17‬ ‭AMPC‬‬

““Don’t cling to me,” Jesus said, “for I haven’t yet ascended to the Father. But go find my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’””
‭‭John‬ ‭20:17‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Thus, it’s obvious the emotional Mary went beyond touching our Lord and Saviour but actually clinged to Him.

Apparently, by holding on to Him, she was trying to prevent Him from leaving her again.

“My Lord, you left us three days ago. You can’t just leave again. Please stay, “ she seemed to be saying .

Hear the Master’s implied response:

“Mary, i have not yet ascended to the Father. I’m still here bodily. You’ll be afforded many more opportunities to see me bodily. Forty more days, Mary . More or less . Forty more days in which i shall remain on earth so that my disciples can enjoy my presence. Afterwards, you’ll not see me again bodily. After this resurrection comes my ascension. Meanwhile, there’s something i want you to do for me. Go to the brethren and inform them that I’ve risen, and also tell them that I’ll ascend . Stop clinging to me and do this immediately.”

Jesus was not a levitical high priest, neither was He a direct descendant of Aaron. He was (and ever is) a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.

He has nothing to do with the duties of the earthly high priest. Mary was simply being told not to cling to Him because He was still here, not having ascended to the Father.

He died

He rose

He ascended

Behold He lives forevermore

Hallelujah!
You have actually brought clarity to me at this point
Re: Examining John 20:17 by madegreatbygrace(m): 5:12pm On Aug 01, 2022
@Merino , Thanks and blessings to you!

(1) (Reply)

3 Silent Sins That Will Stop You From Rising In Rapture! / What The Lord Showed Me Today,we Must Live Ready / Why I Think Allah God Of The Muslim Is Not The Creator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.