Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,914 members, 7,802,974 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:07 AM

Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise (32831 Views)

Please Advise Me !! An Art Student Under Pressure To Study Nursing / 750 Youths Graduate Under Anambra Government One Youth, One Skill Initiative / Biochemistry Vs Microbiology: Which One Has More Job Opportunities In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by NaughtyBrainiac: 9:27am On May 16, 2022
Hello All,

A friend studied Biochemistry in one of Nigeria's Federal Universities, she has completed NYSC but she does not have a job yet.

Her brother who currently resides in the UK wants her to enrol in a school of Nursing in Nigeria and she is not happy with what her brother wants.

I asked her if her brother's reason is because Nursing is profitable in the UK and she said YES, that's his reason. The goal is that she'd eventually relocate to the the UK.

My concerns are:

1. Why study a course like Biochemistry and go back to a school of Nursing? Aren't there better alternatives?
2. Most of the people I know that attended school of Nursing always go back to the Univeristy for BSc. Nursing.
3. School of Nursing in Nigeria will take her about 3 years and I am sure she will still need to write some exams before she will be able to work as a Registered Nurse in the UK.

Are there possibilities of moving to the UK to study that version of Nigerian School of Nursing? If yes, how expensive is it?

On the other hand, if she's able to go to the UK for her masters, masters in what course can she apply for (please bear in my that she is a Biochemistry graduate) that would give her chances of securing a good job in the UK ( At least, a kind of job that would still make her earn something close to what Nurses earn)?

Please advise. Thank you

9 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Angelacruz: 10:17am On May 16, 2022
If she want to relocate fast,school of nursing is d best because of time and no strike.
Competition in nursing school now is fierce.As far as i am concerned,biochemistry is a scam course in Nigeria.She won't regret doing nursing.

Some of my senior colleagues in nursing school are graduates from :biochemistry,nutrition n dietetics,microbiology,biology,zoology et cetera.

If you want to work in Nigeria as a nurse,go for Bnsc because d earn way more than school of nursing with Rn.

But if you want to work outside,school of nursing is okay .

101 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by ogyunging(m): 11:15am On May 16, 2022
This Tory get as e be. A friend pursued Biochemistry till PhD level, family and peers made life hard for her, when poo almost hit the fan. She changed towns and started nursing. Today she is far from her former self. The joy and peace that she radiates cannot be compared to what she went through. It's funny how the two cases dey similar. Na who wear the shoe know where e dey pain.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by NaughtyBrainiac: 11:57am On May 16, 2022
ogyunging:
This Tory get as e be. A friend pursued Biochemistry till PhD level, family and peers made life hard for her, when poo almost hit the fan. She changed towns and started nursing. Today she is far from her former self. The joy and peace that she radiates cannot be compared to what she went through. It's funny how the two cases dey similar. Na who wear the shoe know where e dey pain.
Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Angelacruz: 12:51pm On May 16, 2022
Very true,,,one of my frds studied biochemistry,did her masters n graduated last yr.

She applied for direct entry in d same school for nursing.Biochemistry is underrated...

My first degree is home economics,i have now gone back to nursing school.
ogyunging:

2 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by ChybuzzDD(m): 5:47am On May 17, 2022
She should follow her brother's advice, unless she wants to remain in Nigeria and keep begging for urgent 2k

Why would anyone study Biochemistry in Nigeria?

People should start being mindful of what they go to the Universities to study in Nigeria

It's no longer enough being a graduate; what one studies/studied now matters a lot.

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by dalass(f): 6:59am On May 17, 2022
NaughtyBrainiac:
Hello All,

A friend studied Biochemistry in one of Nigeria's Federal Universities, she has completed NYSC but she does not have a job yet.

Her brother who currently resides in the UK wants her to enrol in a school of Nursing in Nigeria and she is not happy with what her brother wants.

I asked her if her brother's reason is because Nursing is profitable in the UK and she said YES, that's his reason. The goal is that she'd eventually relocate to the the UK.

My concerns are:

1. Why study a course like Biochemistry and go back to a school of Nursing? Aren't there better alternatives?
2. Most of the people I know that attended school of Nursing always go back to the Univeristy for BSc. Nursing.
3. School of Nursing in Nigeria will take her about 3 years and I am sure she will still need to write some exams before she will be able to work as a Registered Nurse in the UK.

Are there possibilities of moving to the UK to study that version of Nigerian School of Nursing? If yes, how expensive is it?

On the other hand, if she's able to go to the UK for her masters, masters in what course can she apply for (please bear in my that she is a Biochemistry graduate) that would give her chances of securing a good job in the UK ( At least, a kind of job that would still make her earn something close to what Nurses earn)?

Please advise. Thank you

OP, if the brother will finance it, let her go for Nursing ASAP. With her background in Biochemistry, she will ace her results...

My sister was a science student but she later changed to commercial, she even became chartered as an accountant. Worked in banks but even Nurses earned more till she went back to Nursing. Nursing pays o

19 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by NaughtyBrainiac: 7:29am On May 17, 2022
Angelacruz:
If she want to relocate fast,school of nursing is d best because of time and no strike.
Competition in nursing school now is fierce.As far as i am concerned,biochemistry is a scam course in Nigeria.She won't regret doing nursing.

Some of my senior colleagues in nursing school are graduates from :biochemistry,nutrition n dietetics,microbiology,biology,zoology et cetera.

If you want to work in Nigeria as a nurse,go for Bnsc because d earn way more than school of nursing with Rn.

But if you want to work outside,school of nursing is okay .

Thank you for your input
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by NaughtyBrainiac: 7:30am On May 17, 2022
ChybuzzDD:
She should follow her brother's advice, unless she wants to remain in Nigeria and keep begging for urgent 2k

Why would anyone study Biochemistry in Nigeria?

People start be mindful of what they go to the Universities to study in Nigeria

It's no longer enough being a graduate; what one studies/studied now matters a lot.
Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by NaughtyBrainiac: 7:31am On May 17, 2022
dalass:

OP, if the brother will finance it, let her go for Nursing ASAP. With her background in Biochemistry, she will ace her results...

My sister was a science student but she later changed to commercial, she even became chartered as an accountant. Worked in banks but even Nurses earned more till she went back to Nursing. Nursing pays o
Thank you.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by NaughtyBrainiac: 4:12pm On May 17, 2022
@user10011 , your input will be appreciated as I confirmed on another thread that you are currently studying Nursing in the UK. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by NaughtyBrainiac: 12:54am On May 18, 2022
@Aderin0la , what do you think about this please? Thank you
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Aderin0la: 9:23am On May 18, 2022
Unless your friend is passionate about science or research, I’ll advise she takes the advice of that person and go to nursing school if she plans to relocate here, although that’s still dependent on whether she has passion for healthcare. If she’s rich enough and doesn’t want to study in Nigeria, she can build up healthcare experience and apply to accelerated Masters in Nursing programs (Pre-registration) in the UK. It’s 2 years instead and she can register with NMC as a UK RN after graduation.

When you talk about maybe there being another alternative with her biochemistry degree, I did biosciences as well and a bioscience masters here. I was able to get 2 job offers, one as a lab person in the NHS and another as a research assistant. I took the research assistant post cuz it’s at the No1 Uni here in the UK (UniofCam). However I’ve found research / being confined to a lab to be boring, and tbh most people going down that route would have to spend longer years getting a PhD, else you’ll not be able to get a higher up position. However Nursing seems more interesting to me, reason why I’m starting an accelerated nursing program in 3months. Most Nigerians like me too studied Microbiology / Biochemistry / Cell Biology / Molecular Biology and the likes as a first degree because we didn’t meet the cut off for medicine or nursing or dentistry or the other medical courses. So if that’s the case for your friend, she should grab this opportunity for a career in healthcare. It’s totally worth it (IMO).

NaughtyBrainiac:
@Aderin0la , what do you think about this please? Thank you

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by NaughtyBrainiac: 9:30am On May 18, 2022
Aderin0la:
Unless your friend is passionate about science or research, I’ll advise she takes the advice of that person and go to nursing school if she plans to relocate here, although that’s still dependent on whether she has passion for healthcare. If she’s rich enough and doesn’t want to study in Nigeria, she can build up healthcare experience and apply to accelerated Masters in Nursing programs (Pre-registration) in the UK. It’s 2 years instead and she can register with NMC as a UK RN after graduation.

When you talk about maybe there being another alternative with her biochemistry degree, I did biosciences as well and a bioscience masters here. I was able to get 2 job offers, one as a lab person in the NHS and another as a research assistant. I took the research assistant post cuz it’s at the No1 Uni here in the UK (UniofCam). However I’ve found research / being confined to a lab to be boring, and tbh most people going down that route would have to spend longer years getting a PhD, else you’ll not be able to get a higher up position. However Nursing seems more interesting to me, reason why I’m starting an accelerated nursing program in 3months. Most Nigerians like me too studied Microbiology / Biochemistry / Cell Biology / Molecular Biology and the likes as a first degree because we didn’t meet the cut off for medicine or nursing or dentistry or the other medical courses. So if that’s the case for your friend, she should grab this opportunity for a career in healthcare. It’s totally worth it (IMO).

Thank you Aderinola. I'll love to connect with you. May I drop my WhatsApp contact and delete it as soon as you have it? Thank you
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by NaijaCoverBlog(m): 3:00pm On May 18, 2022
Hmmmmm
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Accxx68: 3:00pm On May 18, 2022
I'm hosting a Free Whatsap group class in regards to Domain flipping..

Let me teach you How to make sustainable cash income for yourself easily by reselling expired domain name's online including the tools to get you started too..

If you're interested, send a text via whatsaaap to the number in my signature, personal text or Profile...

It is Free!
See You At The Top and Thank me Later.

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by sotall(m): 3:00pm On May 18, 2022
undecided
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by ednut1(m): 3:00pm On May 18, 2022
The bro is right. Alot of people lack foresight. She can be jobless for 3 years or work one mumu 50k job for 3 years. Abeg go get that nursing degree and later go to uk. Stop studying non lucrative courses una no go hear. Why waste 5 years in school and begin to sell bags on Instagram later. Why not just face business from the get go and expand

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by JOACHINpedro: 3:00pm On May 18, 2022
Omo!
Make she run Msc. biochemistry in UK. Why waste time?

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by sonnie10: 3:01pm On May 18, 2022
Nursing is a good career choice both in Nigeria and the UK or US.
If the person intend to relocate ASAP, then it’s a little tricky.
Most schools that offer masters degree in nursing want you to have RN license as prerequisite and then a first degree.
Here is what most don’t consider. RN is RN, whether it’s a Master degree or an Associate degree.
Except for those hospitals that are selective due to magnet status and insurance.
Why did I bring up this point? Cost of attending are not the same.
You could get an Associate degree for zero fees while a Master degree ( MSN) would set you back almost 30- 50k USD in student loan which you have to pay back.
Moreover there is virtually no pay difference and job responsibility is the same for both.
Remember, MSN is not NP ( Nurse Practitioner).
Don’t even think of a higher entry position, because of the lack of experience. No employer would hire someone as manger only because they have masters.
For this person in question, time for relocation is important. If it is not in the next two years, School of nursing in Nigeria would be a better option. This is because when she eventually relocates, both her first degree and the nursing license would be considered during education evaluation and she would receive credit for both.
Then, she could apply for the abroad license exam over there, and be licensed without additional years in school.
How does this strategy help her? Let me explain further. Now, when she is overseas and has the foreign nursing license and a first degree from Nigeria, she can apply for Nurse practitioner program instead of just a MSN for the same two years.
In essence, whatever she decides, getting RN license first whether in Nigeria or over overseas would be the turning point of her career.
But if I was to be in that position, I would rather use my first degree and pursue a PA program if healthcare is my passion.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Maverick777: 3:01pm On May 18, 2022
NaughtyBrainiac:
Hello All,

My concerns are:

Please advise. Thank you
you're your friend and your friend is you.
like, why do you guys always do this, who would flog you if you own up??

8 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by YoungLionken(m): 3:01pm On May 18, 2022
Advise your friend to go for nursing..

Gone are those days that we decide based on passion, now it is strictly based on finance and job security. Except you don't have the brain for it..

If I had known, I would have studied medicine at all cost...

9 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by asobo1: 3:01pm On May 18, 2022
My best friend was in this op's friend shoe. After spending 7 years studying Chemistry (BTech) strike inclusive, his elder sister who is a nurse in the UK offered to sponsor him for a BSc Nursing here in Nigeria and thereafter promised to relocate him to US. He had another option of learning sales of patent medicine. My good friend mazi chidi opted for the later grin.

Op kindly advice your friend to go for a degree in Nursing
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by smile11s(m): 3:02pm On May 18, 2022
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by riczy(m): 3:02pm On May 18, 2022
They are doing dt already, I lecture them!
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by abobote: 3:02pm On May 18, 2022
Your points are not valid, she should go back and study nursing as recommended by her brother, moreover its still the same Medical line, which will make it easier for her.

Most people that studied biochemistry, didn't chose it as first choice, but settled for it when the first choice was not offered and the desperation to go to university becomes very high. Coz we all know there are not much opportunities for a biochemist in Nigeria

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bristow Helicopters Sacks 100 Pilots, Engineers / 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA / How To React If Your Boss always Slaps You For A Minor Mistake?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.