Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise (32830 Views)

Please Advise Me !! An Art Student Under Pressure To Study Nursing / 750 Youths Graduate Under Anambra Government One Youth, One Skill Initiative / Biochemistry Vs Microbiology: Which One Has More Job Opportunities In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Protein0: 3:22pm On May 18, 2022
NaughtyBrainiac:
Hello All,

A friend studied Biochemistry in one of Nigeria's Federal Universities, she has completed NYSC but she does not have a job yet.

Her brother who currently resides in the UK wants her to enrol in a school of Nursing in Nigeria and she is not happy with what her brother wants.

I asked her if her brother's reason is because Nursing is profitable in the UK and she said YES, that's his reason. The goal is that she'd eventually relocate to the the UK.

My concerns are:

1. Why study a course like Biochemistry and go back to a school of Nursing? Aren't there better alternatives?
2. Most of the people I know that attended school of Nursing always go back to the Univeristy for BSc. Nursing.
3. School of Nursing in Nigeria will take her about 3 years and I am sure she will still need to write some exams before she will be able to work as a Registered Nurse in the UK.

Are there possibilities of moving to the UK to study that version of Nigerian School of Nursing? If yes, how expensive is it?

On the other hand, if she's able to go to the UK for her masters, masters in what course can she apply for (please bear in my that she is a Biochemistry graduate) that would give her chances of securing a good job in the UK ( At least, a kind of job that would still make her earn something close to what Nurses earn)?

Please advise. Thank you
Her brother has given her the best advice, however, she is an adult who has the right to do whatever pleases her. I think she's still basking in the euphoria of the "graduate" tag.

Modified: let me explain a bit.

University based nursing leads to d award of RN and BNSc (and at times RM, RPHN).
BNSc, like almost all other undergraduate degrees is an academic qualification while RN is the professional qualification.
However, UK's demands are for professional nurses(not academic nurses) hence the equal recognition given to both.

Now, school of nursing is better in her case because, 3 years is 3years there. In exactly 3 years(with no demotion), she would be done and start processing her UK things. Her other option if she so much hate School of Nursing is going back to the university for BNSC, and ASUU will be smiling @ that rn grin

Once she's in the UK with d School of Nursing certificate, she can run her BNSc there in a year or so while working. Foreign degree cool

Moving to the UK to study Nursing (of whichever version) or for MSc. will be like moving a student whereas moving with school of Nursing RN is like moving a worker. You need to see how some trusts pamper migrant nurses.

Like I said earlier, she is an adult with absolute right to her choices

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Moneyyman: 3:23pm On May 18, 2022
Hi. How do you do?

Could you please answer these questions about the bolded?

1. How long does the accelerated nursing program take?

2. Honestly, have you heard of or seen scholarships for such programs?

3. Is it possible for international students hoping to work and study? I.E. pay my way through nursing school with aside job?

4. Can international students get study loans to pay back after study and getting a job?

5. With an M.Sc. in public health, what jobs do you think I can apply for if I want to migrate to the UK?

Thanks for your time.

Aderin0la:

....she can build up healthcare experience .

However Nursing seems more interesting to me, reason why I’m starting an accelerated nursing program in 3months.

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Giorgia: 3:25pm On May 18, 2022
Moneyyman:
Duuuuuuude! Unless she has an alternative way to make money, please encourage her to study nursing.

Please, tell her:

1. She should register ASAP as some school of nursing are still registering new intakes.

2. Focus, study and finish within 3 years.

3. Move abroad to work and continue her schooling. There are accredited conversion courses (RN to B.N.Sc.) courses that only take a year abroad).

4. She will find work. Nurses are in short supply everywhere and in the UK, she'll find work. Pounds no be Naira.

5. Finally, if she refuses, ask her what her plans are for her career. Biochemistry can't do anything for her unless she goes for an M.Sc and PhD and start hustling lecturing jobs here.

See opportunities wey people dey find naim she use dey play! Who get head no get cap; who get cap no get head. undecided

Could mention some school of nursing that are still taking in students?
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by 43Ronin: 3:26pm On May 18, 2022
There are seasoned bankers in Nigeria that went to UK, Canada or US and switched straight to nursing. She should accept advice of someone who loves her over there or gather money to go do msc public health(wch is very expensive & competitive).
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by opera1(m): 3:26pm On May 18, 2022
Her chance of going abroad is very high compared that of Biochemistry.
If she was my sister or friend, I will advise her to go for Nursing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by ModelLook(m): 3:26pm On May 18, 2022
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by dreu2fine(m): 3:27pm On May 18, 2022
NaughtyBrainiac:
Hello All,

A friend studied Biochemistry in one of Nigeria's Federal Universities, she has completed NYSC but she does not have a job yet.

Her brother who currently resides in the UK wants her to enrol in a school of Nursing in Nigeria and she is not happy with what her brother wants.

I asked her if her brother's reason is because Nursing is profitable in the UK and she said YES, that's his reason. The goal is that she'd eventually relocate to the the UK.

My concerns are:

1. Why study a course like Biochemistry and go back to a school of Nursing? Aren't there better alternatives?
2. Most of the people I know that attended school of Nursing always go back to the Univeristy for BSc. Nursing.
3. School of Nursing in Nigeria will take her about 3 years and I am sure she will still need to write some exams before she will be able to work as a Registered Nurse in the UK.

Are there possibilities of moving to the UK to study that version of Nigerian School of Nursing? If yes, how expensive is it?

On the other hand, if she's able to go to the UK for her masters, masters in what course can she apply for (please bear in my that she is a Biochemistry graduate) that would give her chances of securing a good job in the UK ( At least, a kind of job that would still make her earn something close to what Nurses earn)?

Please advise. Thank you
The best
I regret not studying it
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by egojeny1(f): 3:28pm On May 18, 2022
This later made front page, interesting.

Op pls let her run and go do nursing ASAP. A word is enough for a wise.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Karleb(m): 3:28pm On May 18, 2022
Unless you have a better alternative, study nursing.

Biochemistry is useless in Nigeria, not totally tho.

2 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Albertone(m): 3:30pm On May 18, 2022
Angelacruz:
Very true,,,one of my frds studied biochemistry,did her masters n graduated last yr.

She applied for direct entry in d same school for nursing.Biochemistry is underrated...

My first degree is home economics,i have now gone back to nursing school.

You didn't have a background in sciences prior to enrolling in school of nursing?
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by ozo13(m): 3:30pm On May 18, 2022
Ibrahimcoomasie:
Nursing is better aslong as it is Bachelors of Nursing

Everyone I know that studied Biochem ended up in some other unrelated profession.

Nursing, 100% are working in healthcare settings. One even went on to become a doctor. She is now a ped in California.

nursing is a hot cake now in UK.within two month , one can write exam and leave for uk.its that easy unlike Doctors own that u will have to be on queue for months waiting to register for an exam one is not even sure of passing after the long wait

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by kkinternet: 3:31pm On May 18, 2022
Let her study Nursing.

I have a BSc in Applied Biochemistry from Unizik but when I got to South Africa , I enrolled to study Pharmacy though I couldn't/HAVEN'T finish/ed.

Nursing is very lucrative. And she will be do well. Whoever studied Biochemistry can overcome any educational huddle.

7 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Fiscus105(m): 3:31pm On May 18, 2022
JOACHINpedro:
Omo!
Make she run Msc. biochemistry in UK. Why waste time?

Hope u know the amount she would expend on msc?

Is biochemistry lucrative than nursing in UK?
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by ukaface(f): 3:32pm On May 18, 2022
NaughtyBrainiac:
Hello All,

My concerns are:

Please advise. Thank you
no go overthink am o
Visualizing it may seem a loooong process to accomplish.
And no, not everyone goes back to uni to get bnsc( I no fit craze like that to spend another 4 years) .
And the ' some exams' that she would write before relocating ain't something so difficult, Nigerian nurses are leaving to u.k on a daily. Don't sleep on it.

But, it all depends on her, if nursing ain't her desire make she Kuku no do am before she go swear for her brother.

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by NaughtyBrainiac: 3:36pm On May 18, 2022
Maverick777:

you're your friend and your friend is you.
like, why do you guys always do this, who would flog you if you own up??
Many people sincerely come to Nairaland to seek advice for their friends, siblings, colleagues, etc and later show them responses from people with insightful responses.

I am Male and my friend is female. I did not study Biochemistry.

2 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Nobody: 3:36pm On May 18, 2022
ChybuzzDD:

Who are you, and where are you from

People all from over the world migrate, whether they've built their own country or not; it's not a Nigerian thing.

Where i live in the Middle East, there are a lot of British and European workers, who left their own developed countries to live and work here.
How about the Indians and the Chinese? You will see them practically in every country in this world.

There are many reasons for migration

Hmmmm.
All of you can't run away. Let us build this country to become among the first 10 largest economy of the world after that you can migrate.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Benny6944: 3:37pm On May 18, 2022
NaughtyBrainiac:
Hello All,

My concerns are:

Please advise. Thank you

Biochemistry is not a Professional course in Nigeria. Most B.degree holders in Biochem usually further their edu. to masters and PhD in order to read a professional course
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Lovelydaisies: 3:37pm On May 18, 2022
Hello. Does school of nursing plus one year midwifery equate to the B.Sc. Nursing (It's like four and half years)? I am a graduate of one of the Biological Sciences but due to many circumstances, I am considering a school of nursing. In what way can I equate to a university nursing graduate? In what other ways are school of nursing graduates disadvantaged in Nigeria?
Thanks and sorry for the bother.

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Polchiz(m): 3:38pm On May 18, 2022
NaughtyBrainiac:
Hello All,

My concerns are:

Please advise. Thank you

You have to be careful. This is your destiny and nobody can advise you better than yourself.

Are you passionate about Biochemistry or you just want a discipline that can guarantee you a job?

Why did you study Biochemistry? What is your class of degree?

There are many opportunities for a Biochemistry graduate. However, nepotism in Nigeria MUST affect your chances:

If you graduated with at least a 2:1 and you are 25 years or below then you can easily secure a job in the following organizations if you are good enough to pass Aptitude test & interview:

i. Audit firms: KPMG, ERNST & YOUNG, DELLOITE, PWC
ii. Banks
iii. Food Industries: Nigerian Breweries (M.SC required), Nestle, International Breweries, Coca Cola, Guiness Nigeria
iv. Pharmaceutical Industries as Sales Rep

Alternatively, if you are connected and know a big man in government:
i. Research Institutes (We have more than 30 in Nigeria & Biochemists are well positioned. You start as Research Officer II and grow and become a director)
ii. Monotechnic/Polytechnics as lecturer
iii. Federal Universities as lecturer (M.SC, PhD required)
iv. Government Agencies: DPR (as environmentalist), NSE (Graduate Trainee), NARICT, NILEST, NABDA, NAFDAC etc as Research officers
v. Teacher (PGDE required)

In Nigeria today, no discipline guarantees you a job, Medicine inclusive.

A yoruba graduate may secure a better paying job than a doctor.

I am a passionate Biochemist (B.SC, M.SC). Secured a job 8 months after my M.SC and today, I earn more than a professor of Medicine. Even a Matron cannot come close.

If you are a fresh graduate, it is time to ponder and tell yourself the truth.

You need to be patient, prayerful, diligent, and determined to succeed.

No profession be it Engineering, Nursing, Medicine will guarantee you success.

9 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by NaijaCars4sale: 3:39pm On May 18, 2022
She should pray about it and ask God for his guidance

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Polchiz(m): 3:40pm On May 18, 2022
Benny6944:

Biochemistry is not a Professional course in Nigeria. Most B.degree holders in Biochem usually further their edu. to masters and PhD in order to read a professional course

What do you mean by a Professional course?
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by 30naira: 3:41pm On May 18, 2022
NaughtyBrainiac:
Hello All,

My concerns are:

Please advise. Thank you

Let me address your concerns, as a Nurse who has practiced in Nigeria, and currently practicing in UK.

1)Biochemistry won't put food on your table in Nigeria. It is far easier to get a job as a nurse in Nigeria than any other profession. Nurses are rarely jobless. Although alot are underemployed.

2)If the plan is to stay in Nigeria, then a university degree is the way forward. But from the plan her brother has, the school of nursing is the perfect path to take. The degree won't matter in UK.

3)Ofcourse she will need to write some exams to help her qualify to practice in UK. But the pass rate for that exam among Nigerian nurses is 90%. If she can pass through the Nigeria nursing school, she will ace the UK exams.

4l School of nursing in UK is bloody expensive. Her brother will definitely not be able to afford it, except he earns up to 100k pounds a year.

5)who will sponsor the masters degree? It is very expensive, even for someone working in UK. If the brother is willing, this is an alternative. But it will cost alot. Up to half his annual income, if he is in the middle income bracket.

6) This nursing path is the most straight forward way to leave the country. My entire class of 62 nurses that graduated in 2018, only 12 are still in Nigeria. The rest are either in US, Canada or UK.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by AKWATGOLD1(m): 3:42pm On May 18, 2022
The long and short of this post is that Your brother has better plan for you either in Nigeria or UK and if you said you don't want to go back to school and study Nursing, 3-7years of unemployment is worse than 3years of study Nursing.
NaughtyBrainiac:
Hello All,

My concerns are:

Please advise. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by uchetom(f): 3:48pm On May 18, 2022
I will advise she does a HSE program in Nigeria or in UK it will pay more for her than the nursing thing,I know nursing pays but hmmmm they go through a lot I have nurses as sisters and my mum too, buh they work in Nigeria here and I know how the run shifts and all is tiring.Let her get a HSE program it will pay more.
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by exynos(m): 3:48pm On May 18, 2022
kkinternet:
Let her study Nursing.

I have a BSc in Applied Biochemistry from Unizik but when I got to South Africa , I enrolled to study Pharmacy though I couldn't/HAVEN'T finish/ed.

Nursing is very lucrative. And she will be do well. Whoever studied Biochemistry can overcome any educational huddle.
I really want to have more insight on your view against or for biochemistry's path
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by Segzy19: 3:52pm On May 18, 2022
Let your friend go do nursing o....
It's just a 3-year investment into her future. That's all.

So this is the way it works...
1. 3 years in the school of nursing
2. Once she passes her registration exam in Nigeria (nursing council exam) and her registration license is out, all she needs to do is to write IELTS (English exam). Once she passes that one to, then she is in hot demand abroad... Easily she can transit into UK...
3. Ofcourse, she will do the UK nursing registration... No much issues with that
4. She can even start working as a nursing assistant (healthcare assistant) while she processes her UK registration
5. Once she passes her UK exams (which is also not difficult), she her PIN and license to practice, she starts making money... All these can be done under 6 months of her UK arrival.
6. She can later enrol for her degrees (Bsc, Msc, PhD whatever) easily online or part-time while working...

I can assure you that she will build a house and buy a car for her parents within 2-3 years of working in the UK, especially if she is not married yet...

She will eternally be grateful to her uncle for the advise...

Na me tell you....

9 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by NaughtyBrainiac: 3:53pm On May 18, 2022
30naira:

Let me address your concerns, as a Nurse who has practiced in Nigeria, and currently practicing in UK.

1)Biochemistry won't put food on your table in Nigeria. It is far easier to get a job as a nurse in Nigeria than any other profession. Nurses are rarely jobless. Although alot are underemployed.

2)If the plan is to stay in Nigeria, then a university degree is the way forward. But from the plan her brother has, the school of nursing is the perfect path to take. The degree won't matter in UK.

3)Ofcourse she will need to write some exams to help her qualify to practice in UK. But the pass rate for that exam among Nigerian nurses is 90%. If she can pass through the Nigeria nursing school, she will ace the UK exams.

4l School of nursing in UK is bloody expensive. Her brother will definitely not be able to afford it, except he earns up to 100k pounds a year.

5)who will sponsor the masters degree? It is very expensive, even for someone working in UK. If the brother is willing, this is an alternative. But it will cost alot. Up to half his annual income, if he is in the middle income bracket.

6) This nursing path is the most straight forward way to leave the country. My entire class of 62 nurses that graduated in 2018, only 12 are still in Nigeria. The rest are either in US, Canada or UK.
This is very detailed and insightful. Thank you
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by watersideboys: 3:53pm On May 18, 2022
Angelacruz:
If she want to relocate fast,school of nursing is d best because of time and no strike.
Competition in nursing school now is fierce.As far as i am concerned,biochemistry is a scam course in Nigeria.She won't regret doing nursing.

Some of my senior colleagues in nursing school are graduates from :biochemistry,nutrition n dietetics,microbiology,biology,zoology et

If you want to work in Nigeria as a nurse,go for Bnsc because d earn way more than school of nursing with Rn.

But if you want to work outside,school of nursing is okay .

Send me an email I'm a nurse
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by 30naira: 3:53pm On May 18, 2022
Polchiz:

You have to be careful. This is your destiny and nobody can advise you better than yourself.

Are you passionate about Biochemistry or you just want a discipline that can guarantee you a job?

There are many opportunities for a Biochemistry graduate. However, nepotism in Nigeria MUST affect your chances:

If you graduated with at least a 2:1 and you are 25 years or below then you can easily secure a job in the following organizations if you are good enough to pass Aptitude test & interview:

ii. Banks
iii. Food Industries: Nigerian Breweries (M.SC required), Nestle, International Breweries, Coca Cola, Guiness Nigeria

i. Research Institutes (We have more than 30 in Nigeria & Biochemists are well positioned. You start as Research Officer II and grow and become a director)
iv. Government Agencies: DPR (as environmentalist), NSE (Graduate Trainee), NARICT, NILEST, NABDA, NAFDAC etc as Research officers

I am a passionate Biochemist (B.SC, M.SC). Secured a job 8 months after my M.SC and today, I earn more than a professor of Medicine. Even a Matron cannot come close.

I agree with you that no profession guarantees success. But some are more likely to put food on your table than others.

You are probably among the 3% that secure good jobs. But the overwhelming majority in that your field will unfortunately remain unemployed, or do something unrelated to that field, even with a masters degree. Those private companies you mentioned there, how many job openings do they have in a year compared to the number of unemployed applicants?

Hardly would you find a nurse or doctor unemployed, or even working outside their field of study. Although there are lots of under employed ones as well.

I know nurses and doctors in Nigeria who work for multinationals and earn 6 figures in Nigeria. But again, those are the 3%, The exceptions, just like you. But majority will not reach that level. So make decisions based of the rules, not the exceptions.

6 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by exynos(m): 3:54pm On May 18, 2022
Polchiz:

ii. Banks

Sir I'd love to have a word with you, can I drop my WhatsApp number?
Re: Biochemistry Graduate Under Pressure To Study Nursing; Please Advise by vikgreen01(m): 3:55pm On May 18, 2022
NaughtyBrainiac:
Hello All,

My concerns are:

Please advise. Thank you

Clinical science (medicine, nursing and co) is the new oil in the medical field. Tell your friend to listen attentively to her bro she will forever be indebted to him, fortunately enough she will be having a supporting system. Some people will mad luck sha nd will still be misbehaving, the opportunity some people are looking for and it’s far from them. She studied a basic medical science course and acing a clinical science course will be so easy for her.

As to if she wants to continue with biochemistry degree she can go for her masters in forensic science or forensic biochemistry. This will see her into paramedic or crime investigations (FBI) profession. These two, it has been pen down that they are a very lucrative professions in saner climes as well. She can still choose other courses for masters and become a researcher or going into lecturing but we all know earning as a registered nurse supersede the aforementioned professions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bristow Helicopters Sacks 100 Pilots, Engineers / 5 Reasons Why You Should Write ICAN Instead Of ACCA / How To React If Your Boss always Slaps You For A Minor Mistake?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.