Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,720 members, 7,802,174 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

Children Of A British Citizen - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Children Of A British Citizen (4048 Views)

Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery / Became A British Citizen Today / Is Certified Copy Entry Of Pursuant Of Birth Equals British Citizen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Children Of A British Citizen by rafcrown(m): 10:36pm On Jul 13, 2011
Please advice.
Recently obtained the British Passport,
have 3 kids under 18,born them in Nigeria before becoming British citizen
The 3 children still live in Nigeria.
What are they entitled to sooner or later?
Re: Children Of A British Citizen by oyewolejos(m): 7:54am On Jul 14, 2011
rafcrown:

Please advice.
Recently obtained the British Passport,
have 3 kids under 18,born them in Nigeria before becoming British citizen
The 3 children still live in Nigeria.
What are they entitled to sooner or later?

U do the Math from the bolded part. But in any case they should be able to get some kind of Resident Permit to stay with u.
Re: Children Of A British Citizen by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 14, 2011
I'll be interested in reading more responses on this.
Re: Children Of A British Citizen by snowdrops(m): 11:21am On Jul 14, 2011
I think they only become automatic British citizens if they were born before 1983. However they can apply for indefinite leave to remain if that is not the case.

1 Like

Re: Children Of A British Citizen by juzme: 11:24am On Jul 14, 2011
Of course, you are eligible to bring your dependent(s) to UK even if you are on ILR. You just need to meet UKBA criteria such as having sufficient funds to take care of your children while in UK.
You need to apply for entry clearance to join you or accompany to UK which I think should be successfully if you meet all the requirements.
Re: Children Of A British Citizen by demi2008(f): 12:51pm On Jul 14, 2011
This page explains how your child or children can apply to settle permanently with you in the UK if you are a permanent resident here, or if you have been given permission to settle here permanently (also known as 'indefinite leave to remain').

There are additional requirements for adopted children. If you have temporary permission to live in the UK, see the Children of temporary residents page.

Children cannot normally come to settle in the UK unless both parents are settled here or have been given permission to come and settle here. The only exceptions are where:

one parent is dead and the other is settled or coming to settle here; or
the parent who is settled or coming to settle in the UK has had sole responsibility for the child's upbringing; or
one parent is settled or coming to settle in the UK and there there are serious reasons why the child must be allowed to come here.
(The term 'parent' includes the stepfather or stepmother of a child whose father or mother is dead, both parents of an illegitimate child, and an adoptive parent in certain circumstances - see the page on adopted children.)

Your child must show that they:

are not leading an independent life;
are not married or in a civil partnership;
have not formed an independent family unit; and
are aged under 18.
If you and your child meet the above requirements, and you can show that you have accommodation where you can all live without help from public funds, you can bring your child to settle in the UK.

Before your child travels here, they must obtain permission to enter the UK. This permission is known as 'entry clearance', and will take the form of a visa or entry clearance certificate. To obtain it, the child should apply to the British diplomatic post in the country where they live. For more information, see our visa services section.
Re: Children Of A British Citizen by demi2008(f): 12:53pm On Jul 14, 2011
Re: Children Of A British Citizen by demi2008(f): 1:15pm On Jul 14, 2011
Can I go to live with my parents in the UK as a child?

You can apply to join your parents in the UK if:

your parents live in the UK legally, with no time limit on their stay, or they are applying at the same time as you
one parent is living and settled in the UK or is applying for settlement at the same time as you, and has had sole responsibility for looking after you
your parents can support you without help from public funds
your parents have enough accommodation, which they own or live in, where you can live without help from public funds, and
you are their child.
For all of the above, ‘parent’ includes a step-parent where the father or mother is dead, either the father or mother of an illegitimate child and, in certain circumstances, an adoptive parent.

How can I qualify to join my parents in the UK?

You, or your parent, must show that you:

are under 18 years of age, and
cannot support yourself financially, are not married or in a civil partnership and are not living independently away from your parents.
A child cannot normally go to live in the UK if one parent is living abroad, unless the parent in the UK has sole responsibility for the child, or if there are special reasons why the child should be allowed to join the parent in the UK.

How long can I stay with my parents in the UK?

If both of your parents are settled in the UK, or if one parent already settled in the UK has sole responsibility for you, we will normally allow you to stay in the UK permanently from the date that you arrive.

If you travel to the UK with one or both of your parents, we will normally give you permission to stay in the UK for the same length of time as they are given.

Visa fee from Nigeria
Child dependant of a settled person; view to settlement
[fiancé(e)/proposed CP may receive only 6 months validity] N210,600

Application Form
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/docs/1903073/vaf4a

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/settlementguide#22694585

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/settlementguide#22694233

http://www.ukvac-ng.com/visafees.aspx

Goodluck
Re: Children Of A British Citizen by rafcrown(m): 7:02pm On Jul 14, 2011
Great thanks.
Re: Children Of A British Citizen by Nobody: 3:11am On Oct 20, 2015
Can I become a british citizen if I give birth to a child of which their mother is british?
Re: Children Of A British Citizen by SomD: 10:06pm On Oct 20, 2015
obipyper:
Can I become a british citizen if I give birth to a child of which their mother is british?
Please rephrase this question.
Re: Children Of A British Citizen by tpiander: 11:44pm On Oct 20, 2015
obipyper:

not sure, you should google it maybe.
Re: Children Of A British Citizen by bull67: 5:55pm On Jan 02, 2022
good information

(1) (Reply)

Are You A Uk Student And Want To Stay Permanently? Here Is Your Chance! / PhD In Canada / Help Studying In KENYA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.