Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,353 members, 7,780,946 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:10 AM

How To Maintain The African Hair - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Maintain The African Hair (9925 Views)

15 Tips To Maintain A Healthy Skin / Tips On How To Maintain The Eyes After Staring At The Monitor For A Long Time. / Thrilling Transformation Results On African Hair Transplant Patient (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Maintain The African Hair by clemcykul(f): 10:10am On Jul 14, 2011
Make sure you clip your ends at least every 4-6 weeks. When you have split ends and you don't cut them, they will continue to split all the way up your hair which will cause hair loss. The key to gaining length is to condition your hair weekly, and deep condition it monthly during the summer months. During the wintry months, deep condition the hair more often (every 2 weeks).
The most effective way to wash your hair is with a solution of 50% shampoo plus 50% warm water. Mix the diluted solution ahead of time (about 5 minutes) and pour it over your hair when you are ready to wash it. Very gently work the solution through your hair at the scalp without tangling the length. Tresemme Moisture Rich and KeraCare Hydrating are both excellent shampoos. Wash hair as needed depending on your hair type and health. This could be every week with products designed for dry hair and which do not contain alcohol or harsh sulfates and which are pH balanced. Do not over-wash (once is usually enough), as over washing can cause damage, which will ultimately lead to breakage. While washing, rub your scalp very gently. This will reawaken sleeping follicles and promote thicker healthier hair. If your shampoo is normally thick, dilute it with warm water before using it on your hair. This will make the shampoo easier to rinse out which will allow you to treat your hair more gently as you wash it.
Use a regular moisturizing conditioner after every wash, but deep condition at least once a month. Tresseme Moisture Rich and KeraCare Humecto Cream are wonderful conditioners. Once bi-weekly use a moisturizing deep conditioner. After your relaxer, or at least once every month, use a protein reconstructor. Aphogee Protein Reconstructor is excellent for dry hair types. Doing so will make your hair healthy and strong.
Use a daily moisturizer or is prone to dryness. Before applying the moisturizer, wet your hair with water. Apply a moisturizer (which does not contain petroleum jelly, petrolatum or mineral oil) to the hair. Start about 2 inches away from the roots and apply the moisturizer all the way to the ends. Do this daily or as your hair requires--you want your hair to feel soft and pliable. You may have to experiment with what works for you but Ultra Black Hair Creme Moisturizer, Curls Milkshake, ORS Carrot Oil Cream or Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk, Cream or Butter PCA Moisture Retainer,ion leave in conditioner are good moisturizers to try.
A light oil (olive, soybean)applied sparingly may be used on your hair after applying a water-based moisturizer in order to seal moisture into the hair shaft and give your hair a nice natural shine. These oils should never be applied directly to the scalp because it may block your pores and lead to alopecia or hair loss.
when using blow-dryers (also known as blow fryers) make sure you use a heat protecting oil, moisturiser or shampoo/conditioner,as the excessive heat causes dryness, damage and breakage. Air drying hair is a bad method for medium or long hair as water gets locked into the top of your hair and it can cause colds and brittle roots.If the volume of your hair is increased with air drying you can do one of two things: first: apply moisturizer, then air-dry. This will decrease the volume without causing damage; or second: apply moisturizer and use a dome or bonnet dryer on a cool or warm setting. Never use the highest setting unless you have strong hair.
To get your hair to grow long, you also need to comb it carefully. Be sure to use a very wide-toothed comb with no seams and comb it gently from the ends first, as combing from the ends will detangle hair as you comb higher and higher. Never comb from the roots to the ends until your hair is completely untangled.
Avoid daily and/or excessive brushing of your hair, as black hair is fragile. Excessive brushing can strip the hair of its protective layers. If you are trying to smooth your hairline, brush gently, use a soft boar bristle brush, and make sure your hair is completely dry and moisturized.
Treat your hair from within by taking a multivitamin. Use a hair vitamin that will increase your hair growth rate and lengthen your natural anagen (growth phase). Also drink at least eight cups of water and eat healthy foods such as fish, fruits, vegetables and nuts, and by exercising regularly to provide good circulation to the scalp.
Consider going natural if you wish. However, relaxers have come a long way in the last 30 years and it is quite possible for African American women to have beautiful and healthy relaxed hair. Do your homework on both relaxer products and hairdressers. You will need a quality relaxer and an excellent hair dresser to achieve healthy relaxed hair. The long hair forum is a great source of information.
Relaxing - Now this is where all of your washing and conditioning treatments can either pay off or be sabotaged by damage. First of all, do not relax your hair more than once every 8-10 weeks. If you can stretch longer, even better. That is 4 times a year or every 3 months. Do not allow your hair dresser to apply relaxer to your previously straightened hair--it will become overprocessed. It should be applied to the new growth only.
Apply the relaxer. It is best to have someone else apply the relaxer because they have a full view of your head. Before you begin, rub a generous amount of scalp protectant in your hands and apply to the entire hair shaft. Petroleum jelly can be used. Pay close attention to the ends of your hair when applying the protectant. This is to protect hair that has already been processed. Next, apply the relaxer using the manufacturer’s directions. Follow the timing chart so you do not over process your hair. Be sure to wash out all of the relaxer with warm water. Apply a neutralizing shampoo and wash and rinse at least three times. If there are still traces of relaxer in your hair, continue to wash until all traces have been removed. Once all traces of relaxer have been removed, apply the neutralizing shampoo to the hair again. Leave the neutralizer in for 10 minutes. It is very important that you leave the neutralizer in for 10 minutes. Do not skip this step. Next, the neutralizer can be rinsed. Now you can apply the protein treatment, and then follow with the moisture treatment as previously discussed.
Moisturize your hair as often as needed. Black hair is dry because of the natural tight curl pattern. It is difficult for the oils from the scalp to make it down the hair shaft. Moisturize the hair ends with natural oils (olive, avocado, sweet almond,orange extract.)
Most importantly stick to it. Don't give up if you don't get immediate results, it will all pay off when you have long, sexy hair!
grin
Re: How To Maintain The African Hair by Njgirl1: 3:05am On Jul 30, 2011
Thanks poster its high time we dumped these artificial hair thing.Sisters Lets treat the African hair with some respect not like a thing that should never see daylight

3 Likes

Re: How To Maintain The African Hair by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jul 10, 2012
clemcykul: 8
Avoid daily and/or excessive brushing of your hair, as black hair is fragile. Excessive brushing can strip the hair of its protective layers. If you are trying to smooth your hairline, brush gently, use a soft boar bristle brush, and make sure your hair is completely dry and moisturized.

AMEN!!

I agree with your entire post especially the "stick to one" hair regimen part..but the flat ironing and excessive brushing is a NO-NO!!!

Anyway I know it's random but here are a few products that I use...

Vatika Indian Oil (for hot oil treatment)

Organic Root Stimulator Olive oil (for sheen)

TRESemmé Shampoo & Conditioner (For Protein)

and sometimes I use Dr. Miracle "Feel it formula"
shampoo and conditioner as well as Jamaican black castor oil smiley

Of all of these I use Vatika and TRESemme the most. Which is a lovely combo. smiley
Really any protein based Shampoo is perfect when using vatika oil.

HOWEVER, I am looking for an organic Indian henna Shampoo
so that I can get rid of the others..Natural hair products are BOSS in my hair. smiley

But for now I am fine with my current hair regimen.

Every other week I hot oil my hair and let it stay in for hours if not over night. Then shampoo
it out and wrap it. *I don't sit under the dryer but just let it air dry and it results in my hair having a lot of body!! smiley

And I am able to style it to my liking and it lasts for a while.

*Black people need to avoid using a lot of heat!!

1 Like

Re: How To Maintain The African Hair by Angelanu: 9:09pm On Dec 18, 2014
pls how can I get d vatika oil
Re: How To Maintain The African Hair by prdeal: 10:47pm On Mar 21, 2018
I think this site has the best shampoos for preventing hair loss. https://hairlossdhtshampoo.com
Re: How To Maintain The African Hair by daybydaywebsite(f): 12:43pm On Sep 19, 2018
Top 30 Best and Worst Foods for Healthy Hair

Now, we rid on this discussion of the day on Healthy Hair Production,

https://www.daybyday.website/top-30-best-and-worst-foods-for-healthy-hair-production/

Instead of using processed products, nourish your hair from the inside out by eating these healthy foods. There are some major factors that influence your hair—genetics, age, hormones, nutrient deficiencies, and more—but what you eat is one of the few things you can do to control your hair’s behavior.

https://www.daybyday.website/top-30-best-and-worst-foods-for-healthy-hair-production/

After all, if you are predisposed to thin, so-so hair, you wouldn’t want to make it worse by consuming the wrong foods, would you? And even if you belong in a hair commercial, you’d like to protect that look, right?By eating nutrient-rich foods that are scientifically proven to help your hair—and avoiding those that only do harm—you can influence your hair’s thickness, its growth or shedding, how shiny it is, and even its likelihood of greying.

Compare the list below with what you usually have in your pantry, and then find out the Hormones That Shut Off Your Hunger!⇐⇑⇒

First, The Best Foods for Healthy Hair 1. Almond Butter

Almond butter contains a wide variety of nutrients—including protein, healthy fats, and certain vitamins—that have all been linked to hair health. It’s the vitamin E content in the nuts that researchers say is particularly good for keeping your locks thick and lustrous. One eight-month trial found men who supplemented daily with vitamin E saw an increase in hair growth by as much as 42 percent. Just a tablespoon of almonds provides nearly two-thirds of your RDA for fat-soluble vitamin E.

2. Tangerines

The benefits of tangerines⇔ affect your hair in two big ways: 1.) Its vitamin C content makes it easier for your body to absorb iron, such as from spinach; 2.) The vitamin B12 in tangerines promotes hair growth, reduces hair loss, and slows down the graying process.

3. Amla Berries

Also known as Indian gooseberry, amla is a sour fruit native to India. High in antioxidants, it is prescribed by Ayurvedic doctors for glowing skin and hair. It’s easiest to purchase frozen amla berries online.

4. Spinach

In some cases (particularly in women), a mineral deficiency is the cause of hair loss. “It’s important to make sure you don’t have a lack of something in your diet that could be leading to hair loss,” says dermatologist Dr. Carolyn Jacob ⇐⇑⇒. “We check protein levels, iron, iron storage, vitamin D and a number of other labs to make sure you don’t have deficiencies.” Spinach is iron rich and it contains sebum, which acts as a natural conditioner for hair. The leafy green also provides omega-3 acids, magnesium, potassium, calcium and iron. All help keep hair lustrous, shiny and, most importantly, out of the drain. Spinach is only one of the 8 Superfoods You Should Eat Every Day!⇐⇑⇒

5. Greek Yogurt ....

Read More >>> https://www.daybyday.website/top-30-best-and-worst-foods-for-healthy-hair-production/

Re: How To Maintain The African Hair by blingbling88: 9:47am On May 27, 2019
Thank you for your topic. I really need it. I will follow you long term
io games

(1) (Reply)

Pharmacists: The Drug Experts / Enugu Govt Says Lockdown, Other Precautionary Measures Still In Force / Is The Recent Heat An Effect Of Global Warming?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.