Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,036 members, 7,799,518 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:34 PM

I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... (3522 Views)

So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. / Hi Devs, See What I Won (New Survey) / Shine Your Eye - Use This Guide To Learn How To Buy A Good Laptop For Coding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:05pm On May 17, 2022
I have usually heard of companies scamming devs by getting free work out of them with take-home tests but I absolutely would have never believed something like that would have happened to me.

One of the companies I applied to sent me a take-home test. The test was kinda hard with some really complex designs I had to use on Figma. I was given two weeks to submit and I finished like 3 days before the deadline and turned it in.

The next day I got a generic rejection mail saying they moved on with other candidates. However, I was sent a Github repo I had to push my changes to. I got kicked out of it and they kept the code. No reviews, nothing just a generic rejection mail.

I know I have been had. It was so annoying cause I spent extra time after work doing that test, making sure the given design was pixel-perfect, and writing unit tests. Lessons learned. No more take-homes, as much as people despise hackkerank and codility screens they are so much better than these take-homes.

Shine your eyes before doing take homes o. If the design is too professional and looks like something that can be part of a larger application or sold as one, avoid it o.

I hope others use my experience to learn. Too many scammers out there nowadays.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by Gbsks: 3:07pm On May 17, 2022
Chai na wa!. The world is a jungle
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by spartan117(m): 3:16pm On May 17, 2022
Hmm this is bad. Cheer up man, more wins in the future for you.
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by ichidodo: 3:24pm On May 17, 2022
One of my current remote employs gave off that kind of vibes when i was applying to it...tests upon tests over long intervals that was leading to no where.. Until one test that nearly burst my brain and I just unloaded the whole sh**t on the recruiter, I believed he felt and knew I would try to trace him and strangle his neck...
unbeknownst to me, my employment letter was being typed the very moment I was busy giving the recruiter a piece of my mind.

6 Likes

Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by vinceyinnovation: 3:43pm On May 17, 2022
ichidodo:
My current remote employ gave off that kind of vibes when i was applying to it...tests upon tests over long intervals that was leading to no where.. Until one test that nearly burst my brain and I just unloaded the whole sh**t on the recruiter, I believed he felt and knew I would try to trace him and strangle his neck...
unbeknownst to me, my employment letter was being typed the very moment I was busy giving the recruiter a piece of my mind.

Sadly funny and funnily sad grin

1 Like

Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by Anonime1105(m): 3:45pm On May 17, 2022
shocked omo this is not nice at all, how do we differentiate between these scammers and the real ones now?
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by MindHacker9009(m): 4:52pm On May 17, 2022
Any take home test is a SCAM

4 Likes

Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by longlife101: 5:14pm On May 17, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
I have usually heard of companies scamming devs by getting free work out of them with take-home tests but I absolutely would have never believed something like that would have happened to me.

One of the companies I applied to sent me a take-home test. The test was kinda hard with some really complex designs I had to use on Figma. I was given two weeks to submit and I finished like 3 days before the deadline and turned it in.

The next day I got a generic rejection mail saying they moved on with other candidates. However, I was sent a Github repo I had to push my changes to. I got kicked out of it and they kept the code. No reviews, nothing just a generic rejection mail.

I know I have been had. It was so annoying cause I spent extra time after work doing that test, making sure the given design was pixel-perfect, and writing unit tests. Lessons learned. No more take-homes, as much as people despise hackkerank and codility screens they are so much better than these take-homes.

Shine your eyes before doing take homes o. If the design is too professional and looks like something that can be part of a larger application or sold as one, avoid it o.

They think they are wise now?!
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by thanksjosh005: 5:53pm On May 17, 2022
*me ...brainstorms like Jimmy Neutron for an innovative solution for all these forms of bullshit: embarassed

Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by taiwoola989: 6:18pm On May 17, 2022
Hmmm this is serious
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by qtguru(m): 6:26pm On May 17, 2022
Wow was it the same work, you showed me, the quality of that work was very good. Sorry bri
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:42pm On May 17, 2022
qtguru:
Wow was it the same work, you showed me, the quality of that work was very good. Sorry bri

The same o. They kicked me out of the repo they asked me to upload it to and sent a generic rejection mail.
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by Nobody: 6:46pm On May 17, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

The same o. They kicked me out of the repo they asked me to upload it to and sent a generic rejection mail.
The one with the Safari issue?
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by qtguru(m): 6:51pm On May 17, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Sorry about that
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by qtguru(m): 6:52pm On May 17, 2022
DrLevi:

Hi DrLevi, I want to send a PM to you.
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by jesmond3945: 6:58pm On May 17, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Thank you master
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:02pm On May 17, 2022
DrLevi:

Yes o angry

1 Like

Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by Nobody: 7:06pm On May 17, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Yes o angry
Omo! Now I'm hurt. It looked so good and seemed to have been so much work

Sorry man. I'm sure that dream job will make it all worth it
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by Nobody: 7:06pm On May 17, 2022
qtguru:

Hi DrLevi, I want to send a PM to you.

Sure, will be expecting it
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by Isvo: 7:25pm On May 17, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Hi sir, I'm sorry about your experience, I was wondering if we could connect.
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by Luckydonalds(m): 7:47pm On May 17, 2022
Sad. So these foreign companies defraud job prospects! I thought their jobs were all juicy and the companies are well off. Take heart bruh.
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by Maxxim: 9:32pm On May 17, 2022
Sorry boss, better jobs on the way.
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by plat0: 9:35pm On May 17, 2022
Sorry man.
Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by airsaylongcome: 9:41pm On May 17, 2022
Apologies about that Tensa. The truth is that for the hunting of these remote jobs people dey see many things. People on the outside assume it's all rosy and easy with a "juicy" pay. A lot of stuff like this happens especially for you devs. You cannot fully protect yourself. My experience has been to walk away when the take home task feels like the solution to a production software.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by xeratek: 12:19am On May 18, 2022
90% of software jobs on nairaland are scam wink

1 Like

Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by Deicide: 9:32am On May 18, 2022
Post this on Reddit

4 Likes

Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by TheManOfTheYear: 10:26am On May 18, 2022
Omo, I've been hearing of this stuff happening but now it's very glaring. Wow

From my experience so far, I've come to find out that a genuine take home test shouldn't be looking too "enterprise" standard.

It would always look very "basic-skill testing" kinda way, that would allow room for evaluating if you can apply the basics of your stack pretty well. Then it is usually followed by a technical interview afterwards.

7 Likes

Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by SmartyPants(m): 11:04am On May 18, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Post a review on TrustPilot and Glassdoor

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by eldervine: 5:47pm On May 18, 2022
no just die the mata. Drag them on every online dev community, freelance platform and company review sites until they call you to negotiate for the job done.

7 Likes

Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by Nobody: 7:12pm On May 18, 2022
Sorry bro, before you do any take-home test next time, read up their Glassdoor comments. People would have warned not to do the take home assessments. I would advice going to Glassdoor to drop a comment on their company page about what they did, so others will learn.

Also, one red flag is that once you apply to a company & they send you a take home test without speaking to you first on a call, 9/10 they are scammers.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by semmyk(m): 10:35am On May 19, 2022
In addition, also kindly complain to GitHub Report Abuse
https://support.github.com/contact/report-abuse?category=report-abuse&report=other&report_type=unspecified
Though can't eliminate devilish, repugnant behaviours like this, it's a good this to insert name, pseudonym in multiple areas deep in the code embedded within comments.
PS : GitHub desktop gives you flexibility to keep 'as-is' copy as committed.

GitHub Report Abuse: Code collaboration should be safe for everyone, so we take abuse and harassment seriously at GitHub. We want to hear about harmful behavior on the site that violates GitHub’s Terms of Service. Let us know about a user or content you're concerned with. Rest assured, we’ll keep your identifying information private.

tensazangetsu20:
One of the companies I applied to sent me a take-home test. The test was kinda hard with some really complex designs ... and I finished like 3 days before the deadline and turned it in.
... However, I was sent a Github repo I had to push my changes to. I got kicked out of it and they kept the code. No reviews, nothing just a generic rejection mail. ... Shine your eyes before doing take homes o. If the design is too professional and looks like something that can be part of a larger application or sold as one, avoid it o.

1 Like

Re: I Got Scammed!!! Devs Shine Your Eyes... by CodingSoft: 1:34pm On May 20, 2022
If there is no guarantee of pay for a take home test then it's a BIG SCAM

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Python Bumps Off Java As Top Learning Language / My Collections Of Python Projects / Create A Website Like Nairaland In 3minutes & Start Making Tons Of Money Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.