Stats: 3,148,804 members, 7,802,568 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:31 PM

5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos (39136 Views)

“The Suffering Boy Has Graduated”- Man Who Did Menial Jobs To Sponsor His School / AAU Student Drowns During A Picnic Organized By Her Hostel.. (video) / Nigerian Student In Taiwan University Makes His School Raise The Nigerian Flag. (2) (3) (4)

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Nazgul: 10:02pm On May 19, 2022
MerciMe:
Why do 5-10 years need swimming practice sessions for heaven's sakes?

It' high time school owners vet non-schooling engagements they expose their students to. See, now, such good will and years of efforts will flush through the drain over some non-sensical activity that would have been suggested by a fool
It's all about money.

Most private schools these days look for ways to extort parents. If not what is a 5 year old doing in a swimming pool? The swimming lessons isn't for free, so they'll definitely be making a fortune out of it.

A friend of mine was lamenting to me how he's son's school organized music lessons for kids (primary school kids) during the just concluded Easter and sallah break. The cost of that lesson was the reason why he was telling me. Worse of all he doesn't have a keyboard at home, so he's kids can't practice what they learnt making their training a total waste of money.

Private schools care less about kids in their care, they care less about their teachers, all they care about is profits, lots and lots of it.

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Wrecxman(m): 10:04pm On May 19, 2022
MerciMe:

It' high time school owners vet non-schooling engagements they expose their students to. See, now, such good will and years of efforts will flush through the drain over some non-sensical activity that would have been suggested by a fool

I must disagree that teaching a child how to swim is foolish. I'd say it's rather necessary. In other climes you rarely come across a child below 10 who cannot swim.

The issue here is gross negligence, inadequate kits and wrong pool size for the activity.

The school should 100% held responsible for this tragedy that could have been averted if all precautionary measures were adhered to angry

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Impregnablefolk: 10:12pm On May 19, 2022
Our quest 4 fun n entertainment 2u much 4dis country n if u say u no go join dem, dem go begin say u dey possessed. Or dem go begin call u Mr/Mrs antisocial. No explore lyf reach wia lyf go begin explore u O! I come in peace!
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by dododawa1: 10:15pm On May 19, 2022
Private school and nonsense EXCURSION

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by ImaIma1(f): 10:27pm On May 19, 2022
Olumighty123:
I see reasons why my wife won't budge to my children going on school excursions, we'd rather take them ourselves undecided

Seems better that way. Some parents have swimming lessons on weekends for their kids with either mum or dad present.

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Okobola146: 10:30pm On May 19, 2022
All the teachers and caregivers should jailed for negligence
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Okobola146: 10:31pm On May 19, 2022
dododawa1:
Private school and nonsense EXCURSION
all na to make money

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Slynation(m): 10:37pm On May 19, 2022
What fvckry....!!! I sent my son to school and you took them to swimming lesson...shey I no see swimming pool before I carry am go school abi...!!

If I'm the one, the only justice I want is to close down that school forever because it's a death trap, else I will personally burn it to the ground...

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Slynation(m): 10:45pm On May 19, 2022
shedisavage:
RIP to the lad and future Comrade.
I don't think anybody should be punished cauz no one noticed when the boy fall into the water
if I'm the father of that kid...I will sue you for this useless comments!! Is there any subject like swimming?? Did they consult anybody before taking people's children to the pool, did they even know if these kids had phobia for water bodies...I wonder how some of you reason things in this country tho...

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by ttmacoy: 10:47pm On May 19, 2022
It's sad he lost his life but surely this is a reason why our kids need to learn to swim early in life to avoid such accidents. The solution is not to say that's it we're not going to swim ever.

That's like saying because people die in a car accident then we should not drive again, no it means we should ensure proper safety procedures are put in place and ensure our drivers are trained to drive safely.

The issue here is negligence, the teachers were responsible for ensuring the children in their care were taught to swim safely and they failed.

MerciMe:

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by dododawa1: 10:53pm On May 19, 2022
Okobola146:
all na to make money
of course, private school thinking only is MONEY.

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Holluwhakemmy(f): 10:56pm On May 19, 2022
Lagos schools and bad news.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by TruthinAction: 11:03pm On May 19, 2022
MerciMe:

Just my thought. 5 years for swimming lessons. And they took them to the adult section? And no one noticed when he fell into the swimming pool? And he was under water for over 30 minutes? Something is fishing here.

That school should be closed down.
The ministry of education should begin to monitor extra curriculum activities going on in schools.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Slimwhyt(m): 11:16pm On May 19, 2022
This is really sad cry
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Starzo: 11:20pm On May 19, 2022
Meteng:
One of the most useless country the world’s ever seen
And the useless citizens made it so.

Making Nigerians one of the most useless set of nationals in the world

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by iLoveYouToo(m): 11:23pm On May 19, 2022
It should be one minder per child but I know this clearly wasn’t the case. cry

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by semanose: 11:30pm On May 19, 2022
Olumighty123:
I see reasons why my wife won't budge to my children going on school excursions, we'd rather take them ourselves undecided

You are so right...

I'm not in support of any kind of extra curricular activity outside the school premises.

I talk to my children and spouse about these kind of incidents alot.

So right there and then, when an excursion is mentioned, without me getting to school, my kids tell their teachers:

Don't worry my mom will find time to take us.

The negligence on the part of these teachers is raise to power 10.

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by vanila(f): 12:07am On May 20, 2022
This is so sad! carelessness of the caregiver. Sad!!!

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by BlackDuke(m): 12:30am On May 20, 2022
This news just made me sick, I can't imagine the pains of the parents. R.I.P little one, the people responsible for your safety failed you cry

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by SURElee(f): 1:00am On May 20, 2022
Parents will never learn.Swimming lesson for 5year old.

Okay na, e don happen.

Some parents are so gullible think that the schools care about them, hell no, they dont. All the schools care about is to find was takeoney from these parents via DUBAI trips, swimming lessons just to makee extra money off the parents who are too busy to momd their kids at home. The parents will readily pay all these fees just so they can face their businesses.

We never recover from chrisland sex tape or 5year has died in pool. The k God for CCTV cameras he school didn't remember to tamper with.

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by therajah: 1:06am On May 20, 2022
MerciMe:

Lecture us- What age should swimming lesson start?
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Raxxye(m): 1:35am On May 20, 2022
Mehn, this is chilling down my bones!
What a gruesome way for an innocent child to die!

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by thinkmoney(m): 1:46am On May 20, 2022
MerciMe:

Swimming ideally is part of education.
It's the monitoring that was lacking.
5years old is not too young to learn how to swim
May God console the family

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Onyeziokwu(m): 1:54am On May 20, 2022
MerciMe:

Exactly, private schools for naija and over do. Same thing that happened with Chrisland schools.

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by Originalsly: 2:24am On May 20, 2022
Swimming lessons is personal..... how is this on an elementary and primary school curriculum? Private schools take every opportunity to make money in the name of learning. The child is dead.... there is video of the tragedy.... it is now for the parents to follow up by getting a lawyer to work on a percentage basis.... 35%? ....to sue the school.... and the club for negligence. Is unbelievable how sooo many adults can leave sooo many children unattended.... sitting at the edge of an adult pool. In saner climes .... all concerned would've been facing charges from 14 counts of child endangerment to negligent homicide....... and their children taken away. This should be a court matter to serve as a deterrent.

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by koolaid87: 2:52am On May 20, 2022
Im gutted, devastated, vexed, angry

GOD, I WISH I CAN POUND ON THOSE RECKLESS TEACHERS
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by harmony75: 3:52am On May 20, 2022
O my God what did they want the parents to do? Where they extorting parents after paying for the swimming you cannot assign enough teachers to monitor these kids? May God console the parents. If it were possible to say the school should born another child? Or just replace the child, I think people will be more careful so na sorry they will tell his parents now!? ��

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by ChoCho54(f): 3:54am On May 20, 2022
dollynnn:
sad
Such a terrible way to die. Trying to paint a picture of how the little boy was struggling down there, sends shiver down my spine.
They should sue the School authorities and Ivory Health Club.
Sadly, no amount of pecuniary compensation can ever bring the child back to life.
Oh my sister! I'm in tears now! cry
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by greypencils: 4:06am On May 20, 2022
Slynation:
if I'm the father of that kid...I will sue you for this useless comments!! Is there any subject like swimming?? Did they consult anybody before taking people's children to the pool, did they even know if these kids had phobia for water bodies...I wonder how some of you reason things in this country tho...
Nairaland has employed trolls to keep the conversations in their thread going. It is getting obvious. This person is trolling you because somebody with the sense of an ant will write more intelligently than what this individual just wrote.
Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by whirlwind7(m): 4:06am On May 20, 2022
MerciMe:

At what age is swimming lessons recommended? undecided
You're asking the wrong question. Kids younger than that age can already swim. What went wrong here is the adult caregivers who were negligent.
Apart from not fitting the kids with floatation devices, they also took them to a pool meant for adults.
A half baked lawyer would get a sizeable amount from suing the school. That isn't enough consolation though. No amount of money is enough.

Re: 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos by greypencils: 4:12am On May 20, 2022
Originalsly:
Swimming lessons is personal..... how is this on an elementary and primary school curriculum? Private schools take every opportunity to make money in the name of learning. The child is dead.... there is video of the tragedy.... it is now for the parents to follow up by getting a lawyer to work on a percentage basis.... 35%? ....to sue the school.... and the club for negligence. Is unbelievable how sooo many adults can leave sooo many children unattended.... sitting at the edge of an adult pool. In saner climes .... all concerned would've been facing charges from 14 counts of child endangerment to negligent homicide....... and their children taken away. This should be a court matter to serve as a deterrent.
Fines won't do. The school and club should be shut down permanently. Maybe that would sanitize the senses of some people. It is getting obvious that many lack sense in this country. It is all about the money, greed, selfishness, no sense whatsoever.

Aarinola Olaiya, Obafemi Awolowo University Best Graduating Student / Afe Babalola University Commissions Senate Building - The White Rock / Fake Hushpuppi Defrauds Student Of His Tuition Fee On Twitter