Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,627 members, 7,801,813 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:06 AM

My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty (2856 Views)

Ever Since I Bought A Mercedes Benz, It's Been One Trouble To Another / Durojaiye Kehinde Obasanjo: I Drove My Amphibious Car From Lagos To Abuja / Man Hangs ₦540million Super Car From The Ceiling Of His Apartment In U.S.(Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by Victoronah1: 9:56pm On May 20, 2022
My friend recently bought a car from a friend. The guy later sent him all documents but there was no custom duty of this car. He only shared him receipt of purchase, which was done in Abuja. After he asked the guy for custom duty papers, he said they never gave it to him. And he has already paid money and even done repairs on this car.

Is there any way to know if the duty was paid?

If you buy a car from a dealer are you not given a custom duty paper? Or the receipt is just enough?
Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by diportivo: 8:47am On May 21, 2022
Victoronah1:
My friend recently bought a car from a friend. The guy later sent him all documents but there was no custom duty of this car. He only shared him receipt of purchase, which was done in Abuja. After he asked the guy for custom duty papers, he said they never gave it to him. And he has already paid money and even done repairs on this car.

If you buy a car from a dealer are you not given a custom duty paper? Or the receipt is just enough?

this mysterious vehicle,if it even has a name or even exists,was it bought brand new on Nigeria?
Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by Victoronah1: 10:06am On May 21, 2022
diportivo:

this mysterious vehicle,if it even has a name or even exists,was it bought brand new on Nigeria?
this guy bought it uses. Foreign used from a dealer shop at Abuja and they gave him receipt from the shop only
Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by Dozieson(m): 11:56am On May 21, 2022
Victoronah1:

Bros don't waste your time. There is no custom duty for that car.

1 Like

Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by Victoronah1: 12:14pm On May 21, 2022
Dozieson:

Bros don't waste your time. There is no custom duty for that car.
jeez. So what are the series of bad thing that could happen? Bought he drove that car multiple times from abj down to Enugu even to warri
Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by Dozieson(m): 10:12pm On May 21, 2022
Victoronah1:
jeez. So what are the series of bad thing that could happen? Bought he drove that car multiple times from abj down to Enugu even to warri

He was not stopped by custom. Lucky him. If you are caught by custom, you will have to pay the full duty rate before leaving with your car.

4 Likes

Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by diportivo: 6:29am On May 22, 2022
Dozieson:

He was not stopped by custom. Lucky him. If you are caught by custom, you will have to pay the full duty rate before leaving with your car.

full rate kwa?

if a vehicle is impounded on the suspicion of beig smuggled in,there's nothing to pay

After 5 years dem go auction am give themselves ni
Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by Dozieson(m): 7:13am On May 22, 2022
diportivo:

full rate kwa?

if a vehicle is impounded on the suspicion of beig smuggled in,there's nothing to pay

After 5 years dem go auction am give themselves ni

For real? A colleague of mine venza was impounded by customs in gwagwalada, fct. He was asked to pay the full custom duty before the released his car to him. This happened in 2019
Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by CHARLOE(m): 9:02pm On May 23, 2022
diportivo:

I'm in a similar dilemma, car was bought brand new by 1st owner (a bank) from a major car dealer, with a photocopy of d invoice available, no custom papers. Almost paid, but a friend adviced not to buy, as I may have to cough out money to pay d full duty, seller is assuring me d copy of d invoice is enough cover frm customs. What do u advise?
Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by slimmoney(m): 9:20pm On May 23, 2022
if it was bought brand new in Nigeria, insurance cover you all u need is the invoice, the major dealer already paid the duty, just make sure u have the invoice photocopy handy whenever u traveling.
CHARLOE:

I'm in a similar dilemma, car was bought brand new by 1st owner (a bank) from a major car dealer, with a photocopy of d invoice available, no custom papers. Almost paid, but a friend adviced not to buy, as I may have to cough out money to pay d full duty, seller is assuring me d copy of d invoice is enough cover frm customs. What do u advise?

1 Like

Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by CHARLOE(m): 11:10pm On May 23, 2022
slimmoney:
if it was bought brand new in Nigeria, insurance cover you all u need is the invoice, the major dealer already paid the duty, just make sure u have the invoice photocopy handy whenever u traveling.
Ok thanks, just afraid of these custom guys, dem fit change am for person for express when traveling, just to exploit u.
Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by diportivo: 4:47am On May 24, 2022
CHARLOE:

Ok thanks, just afraid of these custom guys, dem fit change am for person for express when traveling, just to exploit u.

nobody will change anything....they won't even stop you

na from afar dem go hiss as u dey come

meanwhile,u fit give me connect to buy the motor if u no wan buy oh.cos e be like ur friend go vex if u buy am grin

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by CHARLOE(m): 6:45am On May 24, 2022
diportivo:

nobody will change anything....they won't even stop you

na from afar dem go hiss as u dey come

meanwhile,u fit give me connect to buy the motor if u no wan buy oh.cos e be like ur friend go vex if u buy am grin
grin tanx
Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by slimmoney(m): 9:04am On May 24, 2022
they no fit do u anything, only tokunbo car's have custom paper.
CHARLOE:

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by CHARLOE(m): 6:48am On May 26, 2022
slimmoney:
they no fit do u anything, only tokunbo car's has custom paper.
Saw another car recently, registered civic, bought as tokunbo, but with missing custom papers. Owner claims custom duties were paid but papers lost, what would u advise?
Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by slimmoney(m): 11:14am On May 26, 2022
if the seller is sure the car duty was fully paid, u guys can drive down to custom office pay them some agreed fee which is not up to 50k and the paper will be retrieved via the car vin or chasis num.
CHARLOE:

Saw another car recently, registered civic, bought as tokunbo, but with missing custom papers. Owner claims custom duties were paid but papers lost, what would u advise?
Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by CHARLOE(m): 11:52am On May 26, 2022
slimmoney:
if the seller is sure the car duty was fully paid, u guys can drive down to custom office pay them some agreed fee which is not up to 50k and the paper will be retrieved via the car vin or chasis num.
Ok, thanks.
Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by Kelvin30286063(m): 10:16am On May 29, 2022
Victoronah1:

First importer probably stole the car.
It's dangerous but if it's a used car, you probably won't have issue with custom cos they don't stop used cars.
If you are the type that loves everything intact, please return vehicle cos we may say they won't stop you and they may. Plus if it's a stolen car as I suspect, it definitely has been reported stolen in whatever country they imported it from.
Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by northbird: 9:19am On Jun 08, 2022
CHARLOE:

True. A car bought brand new has no issues with custom
Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by fineboynl(m): 12:19am On Mar 15, 2023
slimmoney:
why are you going to pay again if the duty was initially paid and it's in the system.

Currently in a dilemma to purchase 2003 accord. Seller claim there is no custom papers.

I'm in between cross road.
Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by BestTrades: 7:44am On Mar 15, 2023
fineboynl:
why are you going to pay again if the duty was initially paid and it's in the system.

Currently in a dilemma to purchase 2003 accord. Seller claim there is no custom papers.

I'm in between cross road.

Do a Custom Duty Verification

For Custom Duty Verification ..
https://verifyithq.com/services/customs-duty-verification/

For Retrieval Of Lost Custom Duty

https://verifyithq.com/lost-customs-papers/

Re: My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty by fineboynl(m): 7:53am On Mar 15, 2023
BestTrades:

Do a Custom Duty Verification

For Custom Duty Verification ..
https://verifyithq.com/services/customs-duty-verification/

For Retrieval Of Lost Custom Duty

https://verifyithq.com/lost-customs-papers/

how can I check? Only have the vin number ?

(1) (Reply)

Need Help To Unlock My Stereo / Looking For A Car AC Mechanic/workshop / Mercedes Benz X-class (pick Up)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.