Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,840 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

My Job-hunting Strategy Dose - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Job-hunting Strategy Dose (10567 Views)

Job Hunting Strategy / Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? / Some Fun While Job Hunting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Angy55(f): 1:50pm On May 23, 2022
Congratulations... I landed something nice too recently without any man know man.

All I can say it is the Lord's doing and it is marvelous in my sight.

I left school with a 3rd class. I was hopeless. My parents felt disappointed but I never gave up on myself.
I started with a Job of 50k after my NYSC and believed one day I will get tha 6 digits figure paying job in a multinational company.

I applied for a Job that required a 2.1. Honestly I didn't know they would contact me for an interview. Recruitment process is in 3 stages. To crown it all I got the Job.

I decided to share a short story here too to encourage some one here to keep hope alive and trust God the protocol breaker.

Never give up!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by joeking2222: 1:50pm On May 23, 2022
engray:
EPISODE 4
... December 2020, I got a call from one of those companies I had sent my CV to for unsolicited jobs. The first thing the lady (who is currently my boss) told me was, I saw your CV and I like it. It sounded like I heard Joe Biden telling me to pack my luggage and come to the United States.
she wasn't the HR but somehow my CV got to her and my experience was relevant to the department she's heading, she did a mini interview for me to feel my weight right on the phone. She asked how much I was willing to take as salary I mentioned but her response to me suggested I fumbled on that part. so I took my mind of it and continued with my blind firing.
My people , May 2021, I received an email from the organization's HR for a virtual 45 min interview. I had 3-4 days to prepare. I prepared like it was an interview to enter Heaven. I have never prepared for interview like that in my life. The d-day came, 45mins of virtual interview was like 5mins. Adequate preparation paid off really well. And of course God was 100% in control. I was asked how much I'm willing to take. I mentioned and there was no arguments/negotiations. 3weeks after the interview, I got an offer beyond my surprise. This included a very comprehensive HMO for wife and four kids.
I resumed the job July 2021 with probationary period of 6 months. The 6 months will be ticked this January 2022. Guess what? Another surprise that happened.
December 31st 2021, I received a promotion letter while still on probation. I am dazed till now.
Let me also add that it's a remote job. I work right from inside my house with my boxers.Lol

My fellow Nigerians job hunting, I understand the pains you're going through. The pains of rejections, the pains of failing that interview, The pains of joblessness itself. The pains of being broke. I have been through it. Please don't give up, Don't relent. Trust the process, and carry God along. Change strategies, take certifications, do volunteer jobs, you can as well take unpaid internship jobs and be intentional about making the best of the experience. And don't forget, let your CV be a verb and express quantifiable results you achieved.
This year, you'll get your Congratulation letter for that job.
Hello bro, thanks for this ur wonderful testimony..........pls, i don't know if u can drop ur email address, i wud love to message u...........i wud love to discuss with u, i wud loved to be taught by you. Thanks
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by SeriouslySense(m): 1:55pm On May 23, 2022
smiley smiley smiley
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by NaijaCars4sale: 2:16pm On May 23, 2022
I wish you the best of luck
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Pharmjossy(m): 2:19pm On May 23, 2022
engray:
EPISODE 4
... December 2020, I got a call from one of those companies I had sent my CV to for unsolicited jobs. The first thing the lady (who is currently my boss) told me was, I saw your CV and I like it. It sounded like I heard Joe Biden telling me to pack my luggage and come to the United States.
she wasn't the HR but somehow my CV got to her and my experience was relevant to the department she's heading, she did a mini interview for me to feel my weight right on the phone. She asked how much I was willing to take as salary I mentioned but her response to me suggested I fumbled on that part. so I took my mind of it and continued with my blind firing.
My people , May 2021, I received an email from the organization's HR for a virtual 45 min interview. I had 3-4 days to prepare. I prepared like it was an interview to enter Heaven. I have never prepared for interview like that in my life. The d-day came, 45mins of virtual interview was like 5mins. Adequate preparation paid off really well. And of course God was 100% in control. I was asked how much I'm willing to take. I mentioned and there was no arguments/negotiations. 3weeks after the interview, I got an offer beyond my surprise. This included a very comprehensive HMO for wife and four kids.
I resumed the job July 2021 with probationary period of 6 months. The 6 months will be ticked this January 2022. Guess what? Another surprise that happened.
December 31st 2021, I received a promotion letter while still on probation. I am dazed till now.
Let me also add that it's a remote job. I work right from inside my house with my boxers.Lol

My fellow Nigerians job hunting, I understand the pains you're going through. The pains of rejections, the pains of failing that interview, The pains of joblessness itself. The pains of being broke. I have been through it. Please don't give up, Don't relent. Trust the process, and carry God along. Change strategies, take certifications, do volunteer jobs, you can as well take unpaid internship jobs and be intentional about making the best of the experience. And don't forget, let your CV be a verb and express quantifiable results you achieved.
I am really impressed with ur strategies and consequent result. But just for my curiosity, forsake any possible misconception, how old are you now?
What was your study area, and present job spec
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Microwhy: 2:40pm On May 23, 2022
No doubt, you will truly know when you're actually ready for the job market especially switching job with work experience.
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by enonche85(m): 2:47pm On May 23, 2022
engray:
EPISODE 4

I feel re-inspired again!!!.

Congrats bro and thanks for this piece.

1 Like

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Jaqenhghar: 3:16pm On May 23, 2022
engray:
EPISODE 4

Good job. You can't go wrong with hard work. The fruits may jot co.e when you want it but you will always reap the benefits. Good luck
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by muyico(m): 4:06pm On May 23, 2022
Contract staff 100k? which state?
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Danniedpastor(m): 4:31pm On May 23, 2022
Theknowledge:
Your achievement is loud bro.

My girlfriend operates on this frequency too, she basically sleeps on her computer.

Updating CV, looking for a job for myself and herself- the girl carry oil for head since I met her na so so ahead ahead

Hold her tight o.
Cherish her. Her type is hard to find this days

1 Like

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Komu1048(m): 4:45pm On May 23, 2022
engray:
EPISODE 4

What of us that have 2:2
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by stankezzy: 5:00pm On May 23, 2022
BOOKWORMLUX:
I'll start changing my marketing strategies too.

Lots of us are using one strategy for years and wishing for a change.

A body will continue to remain in a state of motion/rest, unless acted upon by an external force.
I am a scientist and I won't stay, u let us down, the Bolden quotation Is wrong, a body will continue to remain in its state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line unless it is acted upon by an external force
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by stankezzy: 5:01pm On May 23, 2022
[quote author=ceejay80s post=113097420]if na all this ur long epistle I go read befor I get work....instead make I remain jobless,
eye sef don dey pain me for episode 1[/qupote] na your type de remain jobless for a long time
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by OgThanos: 5:29pm On May 23, 2022
hnmm.
if i start to dey share my own story. this country no go move forward.
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by kernniejay(m): 5:40pm On May 23, 2022
engray:
EPISODE 4

I painstakingly read all the episodes and I can tell you, you are very proficient in writing and your communication skill is top notch. Congrats to you and I wish you more wins by God's grace, amen.

3 Likes

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by abdulwassi(m): 6:52pm On May 23, 2022
Congratulations bro.. More grace to your elbow.

engray:
EPISODE 4

Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Amex2018: 7:06pm On May 23, 2022
Massive congratulations to you bro.

Kindly share some snippets especially the experience part of your CV. How do you mean by the usage of verb action words?

engray:
I am a living testimony of the popular saying "Heaven helps those who help themselves". In helping oneself in life, you have to be strategically intentional about it.
Job-hunting in a nation like Nigeria as they say is "a job in itself". The rejections and disappointments are inseparable duo one has to deal with. But I tell you that with God and a change of strategy and patience you'll land that job sooner than you think.

I'll share my story and I hope it inspires us

EPISODE 1
I started work with one of the bank's in Nigeria as a contract staff back in 2015. As a fresh graduate, it felt huge for me with salary of 100k till I was deep into it and the many frustrations started to unfold. Fast forward to 2017, I started applying for jobs again. It was a weekly ritual for me. The deafening silence from not being called for aptitude test/interview, & the numerous rejection mails heightened my frustrations. 2018, it dawned on me that something has to be done about the document representing me -MY CV.
I paid for rewrite but was never satisfied.
Then I decided to dedicate myself to rewriting and updating my CV/Resume from time to time.It was at that point I realized I needed to be intentional about what I do at work,how I do it and the results I achieved. You know why? It's simply cos everything I do including the results I achieved must go down into my CV. I took my frustrating job more seriously and responsibly, I volunteered when there is need to, I was more involved in team building. Guess what, these eventually eventually brought me some positive recognition and promotion to a leadership role(which never reflected in my salary since I was just a contract staff). But I took it anyways. You know why ? MY C.V!... to be continued.
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Bbbw: 7:07pm On May 23, 2022
Oh
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by BOOKWORMLUX(m): 7:51pm On May 23, 2022
stankezzy:
I am a scientist and I won't stay, u let us down, the Bolden quotation Is wrong, a body will continue to remain in its state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line unless it is acted upon by an external force
Thank you
I can't make same mistake again in my life

Really appreciate
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by tobillionaire(m): 11:14pm On May 23, 2022
engray:
EPISODE 2
... While I kept updating my CV, the difference became clear compared to what it used to look like. I felt more confident and I kept applying for as many job openings I laid my hands on. I was so addicted to job sites.
While I was applying, there was a bit of difference in the results of my application. The rejections increased, but I had a few call for aptitude tests and some interviews too. Infact , in 2020, I landed a new job but I declined. The salary was 10k below what I was earning then and chances of promotion in the organization was like a camel passing through the eye of a needle. I can't go from frying pan to fire, I whispered to myself and I let go. Hunting continued.
I continued to apply myself well to my frustrating job at the bank(remember I was a contract staff) and of course, I was relentlessly still reviewing my CV, I kept ensuring my CV is a verb(action word/a doing word) and was spicing it with the corresponding results I was achieving then.
This did not stop the rejections. I could remember a week I got rejection mails back to back from Monday to Friday. That same week was the week I started deleting rejection mails from my email. I was so frustrated and felt like giving up. Thank God it stopped as just a feeling.
The frustration sparked something in Me again. Guess what ? Another change in strategy.....Watch out for Episode 3
.. What if someone Is invited fr interview fr a teller role and he's older than the benchmark age such as 26-28. Can he/she still be employed even though he/she is older?
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by ceejay80s(m): 7:37am On May 24, 2022
[quote author=stankezzy post=113104028][/quote]
lol ,I have a good paying job
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Realest4: 8:52am On May 24, 2022
Op just made me smile when I remember my own experiences.
Unemployed youth out there keep applying for that job weda you are qualified or not
Weda you have the qualifications for it or not
God can make a way where there is no way
And make sure to prepare well for the interview that’s where you can stand out from the rest
Re: My Job-hunting Strategy Dose by Richdee1(m): 10:56am On May 24, 2022
Where can one apply, Graduate of Social work for a start

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hi There, Please Rate How Helpful Your Bank Is In The Comment Section. / Niit Scholarship Exam: / Massive Recruitment At Queen's College Aba.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.