Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,773 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:46 PM

Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad (7306 Views)

Why Nigeria Is Better Than The US - US-Based Nigerian Gives Reasons / Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria Is Better Than Canada / Despite Thriving Businesses, Aba Remains A Pigsty - Premium Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by EkelediliBuhari: 2:25pm On May 25, 2022
“Guy no dey dull, try apply and come before them change travel policy“

This is the what I wake up to every other day. Friends and colleagues never fail to “educate” me on the privileges of relocating abroad. Well without much ado I’d quickly dissect the earning power viz a viz spending power of a Nigerian based against a foreign based.

UK Vs Nigeria Case study

Earning power
Average daily earning in the UK is 9pounds per hour. By Visa rules (student visa Tier 4) you can work max 20hrs weekly, that translates to 720pounds per month. Let’s consider side hustles and other “illegal” or mildly put, unconventional jobs considering that they rip you off and pay you less. You can jack up your earnings to GBP1,600 per month after tax (on a good month).

- Average Earning in Nigeria for a skilled Brick layer is N4,500 daily or N108,000. Considering they work on Saturdays.
- Average earning for factory workers is N7-10k daily depending on company and location. That is N168 – N200k per month.
- Both simulations above are for menial jobs in Nigeria also considering they are not taxed… at least not directly.

Expenses/ Spending Power
To avoid ambiguity and extensive writeup, I will consider only Food and Rent
Food
UK – Average cost of a meal in the restaurant in UK is 10pounds that’s 20pounds a day for 2 meals.
UK – Average cost of condos outside the main cities i.e. London, is 500pounds a month.
These account for over 1,000pounds a month. That’s 62% of your monthly income

https://www.nairaland.com/7164689/nigerian-man-speaks-high-rent

Nigeria – A single meal in can go as low as N300-N500 that’s say N1,500 a day for 3 square meals
Nigeria – Average cost of a self-contained in main cities is N400k or N33,500 per month.
These account for about N65,000 a month. That’s 60% of the brick layers income or 38% of the factory worker’s monthly income

Consider other issues,
Insecurity in the Nigeria Translates to Discrimination in the UK
Bad government policies in Nigeria translates to Woke gay rights and other vices in the UK.
Poor and harsh working conditions in Nigeria?? Check the link below for abroad based;
https://www.nairaland.com/7141856/abroad-life-not-easy-man

Overall, I think there are better opportunities in Nigeria, if you have heart. Also, we need to be intentional about a better country.

In the 18th and Early 19th centuries the US and UK were worse off than Nigeria. Religion and social discrimination was at its peak.

We can get there.

Modified:
Further references -
Taxi hailing app drivers earns average of 10k after expenses daily.

Let’s not talk about taxes.. do you pay property tax, gift tax or national insurance contributions. All these are compulsory abroad…

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by ednut1(m): 2:48pm On May 25, 2022
Factory workers earn 7k daily in Nigeria What you put up there is a lame comparison. You have no light, no water, bad transportation system, once terminal illness or medical emergency equals death, mosquitoes, noise pollution etc. the average life expectancy is around 52 in Nigeria. Abegi. Factory work and bricklayers in Nigeria work at least 6 days a week working over 12 hours. Abeg rest

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by EkelediliBuhari: 3:56pm On May 25, 2022
ednut1:
Factory workers earn 7k daily in Nigeria What you put up there is a lame comparison. You have no light, no water, bad transportation system, once terminal illness or medical emergency equals death, mosquitoes, noise pollution etc. the average life expectancy is around 52 in Nigeria. Abegi. Factory work and bricklayers in Nigeria work at least 6 days a week working over 12 hours. Abeg rest

Yes Some factories pay more than 7k per day....

if you add light, water and transportation bills, the Uk still trumps nigeria bruh.

Overall living expenses abroad is over the roof compared to Nigeria.

Finally be informed that finding a job that pays above 15k per anum in the UK is a herculean task.
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by justwise(m): 5:07pm On May 25, 2022
EkelediliBuhari:
“Guy no dey dull, try apply and come before them change travel policy“

This is the what I wake up to every other day. Friends and colleagues never fail to “educate” me on the privileges of relocating abroad. Well without much ado I’d quickly dissect the earning power viz a viz spending power of a Nigerian based against a foreign based.

UK Vs Nigeria Case study

[b]Earning power
Average daily earning in the UK is 9pounds per hour. By Visa rules (student visa Tier 4) you can work max 20hrs weekly, that translates to 720pounds per month. Let’s consider side hustles and other “illegal” or mildly put, unconventional jobs considering that they rip you off and pay you less. You can jack up your earnings to GBP1,600 per month after tax (on a good month).[/b]

- Average Earning in Nigeria for a skilled Brick layer is N4,500 daily or N108,000. Considering they work on Saturdays.
- Average earning for factory workers is N7-10k daily depending on company and location. That is N168 – N200k per month.
- Both simulations above are for menial jobs in Nigeria also considering they are not taxed… at least not directly.

Expenses/ Spending Power
To avoid ambiguity and extensive writeup, I will consider only Food and Rent
Food
UK – Average cost of a meal in the restaurant in UK is 10pounds that’s 20pounds a day for 2 meals.
UK – Average cost of condos outside the main cities i.e. London, is 500pounds a month.
These account for over 1,000pounds a month. That’s 62% of your monthly income

Nigeria – A single meal in can go as low as N300-N500 that’s say N1,500 a day for 3 square meals
Nigeria – Average cost of a self-contained in main cities is N400k or N33,500 per month.
These account for about N65,000 a month. That’s 60% of the brick layers income or 38% of the factory worker’s monthly income

Consider other issues,
Insecurity in the Nigeria Translates to Discrimination in the UK
Bad government policies in Nigeria translates to Woke gay rights and other vices in the UK.
Poor and harsh working conditions in Nigeria?? Check the link below for abroad based;
https://www.nairaland.com/7141856/abroad-life-not-easy-man

Overall, I think there are better opportunities in Nigeria, if you have heart. Also, we need to be intentional about a better country.

In the 18th and Early 19th centuries the US and UK were worse off than Nigeria. Religion and social discrimination was at its peak.

We can get there.

1.How much does a student earn working full time during the holidays?

2. How much does the student pay for medical treatment?

3. How about if the student cooks and not eat at restaurant?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by justwise(m): 5:10pm On May 25, 2022
EkelediliBuhari:

if you add light, water and transportation bills, the Uk still trumps nigeria bruh.

Finally be informed that finding a job that pays above 15k per anum in the UK is a herculean task.

No full time job in the UK pays as little as 15K a year, that is just for part time jobs. finding a job that pays 15k a year is very very easy

11 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by EkelediliBuhari: 5:16pm On May 25, 2022
justwise:

1.How much does a student earn working full time during the holidays?

2. How much does the student pay for medical treatment?

3. How about if the student cooks and not eat at restaurant?

In Nigerian most of the migrants are working class people not students. However then travel and downgrade to students to enable them stay.

Well this sums it up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by EkelediliBuhari: 5:17pm On May 25, 2022
justwise:
[/b]

No full time job in the UK pays as little as 15K a year, that is just for part time jobs. finding a job that pays 15k a year is very very easy

Yes no full time job

But can you get a full time job till you complete your studies And what is the guarantee that you will get one after graduation…

Most people I know still resort to menial jobs in the end

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by ednut1(m): 5:21pm On May 25, 2022
EkelediliBuhari:

dude get the ferk outta here with you bogus lies

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by justwise(m): 5:37pm On May 25, 2022
EkelediliBuhari:

Yes no full time job

But can you get a full time job till you complete your studies And what is the guarantee that you will get one after graduation…

Most people I know still resort to menial jobs in the end

To avoid wasting my time and yours..can i ask you though..have lived in the UK before?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by EkelediliBuhari: 6:06pm On May 25, 2022
ednut1:
dude get the ferk outta here with you bogus lies

Well you opinion doesn’t change the facts

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by Cousin9999: 6:45pm On May 25, 2022
lol

Bro, why are you trolling? These people are about to be extra mad.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by ednut1(m): 6:57pm On May 25, 2022
EkelediliBuhari:

Well you opinion doesn’t change the facts
you are just consoling yourself with silly comparisons. Factory work in Nigeria where there is no compensation for injury or loss of limbs, no health benefits, no free time for one self. Is what you are comparing with abroad lmao. Can a factory worker in Nigeria even afford a car Meanwhile abroad one month salary of same factory work can buy a 2007 Corolla for example.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by Nobody: 8:42pm On May 25, 2022
My joy seeing ednut1 and justwise doing justice here.

Person go just wake up open thread dey yarn rubbish.

No matter how they justify living in Nigeria, the same politicians will still pick abroad over their "fatherland". Reason why they keep fighting to have dual citizenship for their families.
Any trouble, you see them pick up their passport and board the next flight out.

This one dey here dey compare nonsense.
Dey use food and job as yardstick.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:02pm On May 25, 2022
I am curious what do you gain in threads like this. Is it to make yourself feel great about Nigeria or what exactly and which factory pays workers 7k a day(that's 210k a month, a resident doctor doesn't even earn up to 300k). What kind of stupid lie is that. I am sure you are still a teenager eating mommy thank you at home.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by staga: 9:06pm On May 25, 2022
ednut1:
you are just consoling yourself with silly comparisons. Factory work in Nigeria where there is no compensation for injury or loss of limbs, no health benefits, no free time for one self. Is what you are comparing with abroad lmao. Can a factory worker in Nigeria even afford a car Meanwhile abroad one month salary of same factory work can buy a 2007 Corolla for example.

There are pros and cons to every side. Abroad, you can easily get financing for anything you want to buy. That in Nigeria is virtually non-existent, except for those working in high-end MDAs such as AMCON or PTDF.

But the cost of living abroad is insane. BTW, Nigeria is the 3rd cheapest country to live in.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by ednut1(m): 9:18pm On May 25, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
I am curious what do you gain in threads like this. Is it to make yourself feel great about Nigeria or what exactly and which factory pays workers 7k a day(that's 210k a month, a resident doctor doesn't even earn up to 300k). What kind of stupid lie is that. I am sure you are still a teenager eating mommy thank you at home.
reminds me of those ogas in some companies that will discourage you from abroad meanwhile all their kids have dual citizenship. They want you to be under them forever lmao.

8 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:22pm On May 25, 2022
ednut1:
reminds me of those ogas in some companies that will discourage you from abroad meanwhile all their kids have dual citizenship. They want you to be under them forever lmao.

Anyone deceived to stay in Nigeria deserves a hundred percent of whatever life gives them. Even Buhari's kids are all dual citizens. Does the Australian prime minister's kids have dual citizenship in any country?

11 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by EkelediliBuhari: 9:53pm On May 25, 2022
ednut1:

All the benefits you mentioned are paid for Uk.. I.e. health insurance is about £125 per month and compulsory as an immigrant
https://www.unbiased.co.uk/life/managing-your-money/should-i-get-private-health-insurance

Whereas in Nigeria there’s no compulsory health plan… it’s optional

All the other benefits you mentioned you can’t earn them while working unconventional jobs…

Car?? Don’t get me started… you can get a knocked down Mazda here in Nigeria for as low as 300-400k

That’s the same worth of the Corolla in the UK… an 07 Corolla in the UK can’t even function as a ride hailing service. You will have to apply as a delivery boy for Amazon or fedex …

Trust me the only presumed benefit of traveling abroad is a sane environment and the capacity to anticipate/plan

7 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by EkelediliBuhari: 9:55pm On May 25, 2022
justwise:

To avoid wasting my time and yours..can i ask you though..have lived in the UK before?

I really don’t need to live there to get all these info. I have friends and colleagues over there…

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by EkelediliBuhari: 9:56pm On May 25, 2022
Cousin9999:
lol

Bro, why are you trolling? These people are about to be extra mad.

cheesy cheesy seems I hit a nerve

But it’s the truth
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by EkelediliBuhari: 9:59pm On May 25, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Dude you don’t know most laborers even more that you…?? cheesy

Bolt drivers make as much as 10k daily on a minimum after expenses… that’s about 300k in a month .. you can ask around

I won’t banta about weaning on here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by EkelediliBuhari: 10:06pm On May 25, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Anyone deceived to stay in Nigeria deserves a hundred percent of whatever life gives them. Even Buhari's kids are all dual citizens. Does the Australian prime minister's kids have dual citizenship in any country?

The fact they are dual citizens doesn’t necessarily mean you must be…

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by eldervine: 10:50pm On May 25, 2022
Your moniker sums it up. OP u no well aswear

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by Cousin9999: 10:50pm On May 25, 2022
SavageBoy:
@op please go and rest.

Thunder will fire any mod that will shift this trash to the front page

lol
Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by TNORWAY: 10:57pm On May 25, 2022
Anybody force you go there??
You are pained...........

God knows I have been hoping to migrate outside one day......I pray it happens.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by Cousin9999: 11:02pm On May 25, 2022
For or against, there's lots of valid points on each side. It's ultimately a very personal decision, and each person must weigh what's important to them rather than just doing what the next man does.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by Mindlog: 11:36pm On May 25, 2022
staga:

There are pros and cons to every side. Abroad, you can easily get financing for anything you want to buy. That in Nigeria is virtually non-existent, except for those working in high-end MDAs such as AMCON or PTDF.

But the cost of living abroad is insane. BTW, Nigeria is the 3rd cheapest country to live in

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by Mindlog: 11:37pm On May 25, 2022
staga:

But the cost of living abroad is insane. BTW, Nigeria is the 3rd cheapest country to live in

What is the quality of life being enjoyed by those living in Nigeria as a result of being the 3rd cheapest country to live in?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad by Nitasmile: 12:06am On May 26, 2022
[quote author=EkelediliBuhari post=113165503]

�������� Please tell me the name of the factories that pays upto 7k per day. Factories pay from 900 naira to 2500 a day and not 7k.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Express Train Services To Cmmence On Kano-Lagos Narrow Gauge Soon – NRC / Uk Drop Box Criteria / Appeal For Visa Refusal In Germany Embassy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.