Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

How To Stay Awake At Night - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Stay Awake At Night (585 Views)

How I Stay Awake At Work During My Night Shifts / Just Got A Job At Lekki, To Resume Next Month. Need A Place To Stay / 5 Things You Can Do To Stay Positive During A Long Job Hunt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Stay Awake At Night by Proudlyngwa(m): 6:18am On May 26, 2022
This is a follow up to this thread created by Yamleg https://www.nairaland.com/7142718/how-stay-awake-work-during as I didn't have time to respond as it was created when I was busy. I don't know how serious he was, but I believe a lot of people will have something to learn from it.

Having worked as a field engineer for multiple years, I've had the opportunity to be a night bird for years. It hasn't always been easy working night, and honestly there is no getting used to it.

Most successful night shifts depend on the nature of work or task for the day and most have different approaches to stay awake throughout the night.

If your job is mostly observatory and in an office, just hope you will be in a position where you are allowed to use electronics i.e phone, laptops or other hand held, otherwise you will have to develop the ability to play mental games with yourself. You have to use this as an opportunity to reflect, reflect and reflect. See it as an opportunity to design ideas in your head, take notes and learn to look toward this moments.
Get enough sleep during the day and make sure , you don't eat heavily before your shift.
If you have access to hot water , boil two Lipton and take it black, avoid the coffee route as it will first knock you off, b4 making you sleepless, it also has the ability to make your heart papillate and get you nervous.
The secret to staying awake is to make your eyeballs dry , so find out which work best for you, for some people its bitter kola, for some its Aspirin. Finally you will need a mate who is willing to share the night with u, if u have Acess either call or chat, if u don't , you have to create one mentally.
Finally set targets for yourself mentally and if you fail, never feel bad.

1 Like

Re: How To Stay Awake At Night by Proudlyngwa(m): 6:18am On May 26, 2022
.... If you are going to work outside, you need a different approach,

First you have to wake up at least two hours before work, then its all about mental aclamatization.
You need at least a warm bath, not cold bath in any way, you need to condition your mind that, that is your morning. You would also need a hot cup of Lipton preferably two bags but this time with sugar this is because your body needs energy, I will explain later. Avoid any thing food drink especially bournvita as it releases a hormone that relaxes you.
You might have to go for tea breaks every three hours till your body masters the night routine, Avoid getting yourself cold, your body needs to be warm so that you don't become fatigued that is where the cold tea comes in, if you get cold , you will loose energy and find it difficult staying awake.

I advise you get a thick sweater, also look for something to chew on, I go with orbit and once in a while Ginger. This is very important.

The most important times are around mid night, when your body starts succumbing to nature, this is normal, take a walk around and get busy, in about 15 to 20 mins you should be fine, if not take a power nap of about five minutes if you can, it will help boost you up.
The next is around 5 am, when the morning dew starts settling in and you are awaiting your reliever, you can't do much about this, you just have to fight it mentally, and keep yourself warm. With time , you will get used to it.

One challenge you will face is adjusting your sleep pattern to daytime.
Don't sleep too early or you will wake too early and find it difficult to maintain a positive night shift, also don't sleep two late or you won't get enough quality sleep.

Falling asleep will be another challenge, just take a cup of warm milk, tumeric or cough drops whichever works for you.

Hope this helps, to you and millions of night workers , who find it impossible to get through the night.

Lalasticlala

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Stay Awake At Night by fedorahat: 6:13pm On May 26, 2022
Proudlyngwa:
.... If you are going to work outside, you need a different approach,

First you have to wake up at least two hours before work, then its all about mental aclamatization.
You need at least a warm bath, not cold bath in any way, you need to condition your mind that, that is your morning. You would also need a hot cup of Lipton preferably two bags but this time with sugar this is because your body needs energy, I will explain later. Avoid any thing food drink especially bournvita as it releases a hormone that relaxes you.
You might have to go for tea breaks every three hours till your body masters the night routine, Avoid getting yourself cold, your body needs to be warm so that you don't become fatigued that is where the cold tea comes in, if you get cold , you will loose energy and find it difficult staying awake.

I advise you get a thick sweater, also look for something to chew on, I go with orbit and once in a while Ginger. This is very important.

The most important times are around mid night, when your body starts succumbing to nature, this is normal, take a walk around and get busy, in about 15 to 20 mins you should be fine, if not take a power nap of about five minutes if you can, it will help boost you up.
The next is around 5 am, when the morning dew starts settling in and you are awaiting your reliever, you can't do much about this, you just have to fight it mentally, and keep yourself warm. With time , you will get used to it.

One challenge you will face is adjusting your sleep pattern to daytime.
Don't sleep too early or you will wake too early and find it difficult to maintain a positive night shift, also don't sleep two late or you won't get enough quality sleep.

Falling asleep will be another challenge, just take a cup of warm milk, tumeric or cough drops whichever works for you.

Hope this helps, to you and millions of night workers , who find it impossible to get through the night.

Lalasticlala
very nice and thoroughly written, I will try this.

(1) (Reply)

Please I Am In Need Of Job. / Easiest PFA To Open A Pension Account / Urgent Labor Needed For Cleaning On Monday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.