Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign (37577 Views)

PDP Suspends National Chairman, Ayu, With Immediate Effect / Pressure Mounts On Apostle Suleman & Sheikh Gumi To Contest 2023 Presidency / Presidency: ‘Obasanjo Shocked Over Atiku’s Emergence As PDP Flag Bearer’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by hisexcellency34: 7:20am On May 31, 2022
By Temidayo Akinsuyi

Following the emergence of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar as the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), some stakeholders of the party are demanding the resignation of Senator Iyorchia Ayu, the party’s national chairman.

Atiku, who was the party’s presidential candidate in the 2019 presidential election defeated other aspirants such as Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State, Bukola Saraki, former Senate President; Governor Bala Mohammed and others to emerge as the PDP’s flagbearer for the 2023 presidential election.

Some stakeholders of the party, who spoke with Daily Independent, said based on the PDP’s zoning arrangement, both the national chairman and the presidential candidate cannot come from the same zone.

Others also said during the meetings with PDP governors that led to his selection as national chairman, Ayu was made to sign an undertaking that if the presidential candidate emerges from the North, he will resign from his position to pave way for a new national chairman from the South.

Speaking in an interview shortly after his emergence as national chairman, Ayu had said he is ready to make sacrifices to ensure the PDP wins in 2023 and will gladly step down if the party asks him to do so.

He said, “Luckily, party positions are not tied to the position of executive and legislative positions.

However, I’m a very democratic person and I will do everything to promote the interest and image of my party.

If the PDP says I should step down after a presidential candidate emerges and happens to be from the North, I will be very glad to do so because what we want is to take over the government and run the government in the interest of Nigerians. So, I’ll sacrifice anything to ensure that my party wins”.

A former minister from the South-South, who is leading the agitation for Ayu’s resignation, told Daily Independent that his group will begin moves to ensure that Ayu honours the agreement and resigns.

“We have written a letter to the national chairman yesterday reminding him of the pact he had with the party leaders if our presidential candidate comes from the North.

We will also begin to mount pressure on major stakeholders in the party across the country to ensure he abides by the agreement”, he said.

When Daily Independent contacted one of the governors who played a key role in Ayu’s emergence, he said the PDP chairman can only be asked to step down after the conduct of the 2023 general elections.

According to him, tampering with the existing party structures now can be catastrophic. “I don’t see activating it now. It has to be after the election. If we win, then we can do rezoning.

We can’t suddenly change the party’s structures when we are planning for a major election. That will be catastrophic”, he said.

Sharing a similar view, Jimi Agbaje, two-time governorship candidate of the PDP in Lagos State, also said it is not the appropriate timing to ask Ayu to step down at a time the party is preparing for a national election and governorship elections in Ekiti and Osun in few days’ time.

I believe that even the national chairman had said as much. In any case, mine is that if there is going to be a change or the national chairman is going to step down, I am not sure it will be at this point in time. It will be after the general elections when our candidate wins.

Then, he will step down. But it is not the right time for him to do so when we have elections around the corner.

“The present national chairman is just settling down to office. We have a campaign ahead and it is going to be a rigorous one because we are in the opposition.

We cannot afford to be changing guards now because it is not just the national chairman that we have to change. Based on our constitution, even our deputy national chairmen will have to be changed because our constitution says that the first deputy chairman must come from the same zone as the national chairman.

So, it is going to create a lot of issues and I think that if it is going to happen, it must be after the election when we emerge victorious.

Then we know that we have a sitting president from the North and a national chairman from the South”.

On his part, Kola Ologbondiyan, the immediate past National Publicity Secretary of the party, said there is no sacrifice too big to make on the part of the leaders in order to ensure victory for the PDP in the general elections.

“It won’t be a surprise because in the process of zoning the offices, I think part of the arrangement then was that both positions, that is, presidential candidate and national chairman will not be in a single zone.

“I do not know what the stakeholders of the party feel currently but I think that there will be no sacrifice that will be too huge to make in order for us to win the 2023 election.

If that happens, it will be a sacrifice in the interest of the party so that every group and zone in the party will be carried along”.

Also speaking, Prince Diran Odeyemi, former Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, said while it is true that Ayu will have to step down now that Atiku has emerged as presidential candidate, it is left for PDP stakeholders to decide when he will do so. “That is the normal and ideal thing that will happen.

My take is that the PDP is a political party that has arrangement. It is our internal issue that is not the affairs of non-PDP members.

“Within ourselves, Ayu knows the right thing to do and the PDP also knows the right thing to do at the right time. It is too early for us to say Ayu should resign.

The whole thing is a process. At the right time, Ayu will leave the stage since we now have a Northerner as our presidential candidate. “So, the chairmanship of the party will automatically come to the South.

When it will happen is what I cannot say now. But it is an arrangement that will and must definitely happen”.
https://independent.ng/pressure-mounts-on-pdp-chairman-ayu-to-resign/

4 Likes

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by Corporate2020: 7:22am On May 31, 2022
If not that his forefathers are mad, he would have resigned since the night of the dollars rain primary, just as he vowed.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by helinues: 7:23am On May 31, 2022
He has no choice than to resign.

Mission accomplished already

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by bennybuhari: 7:25am On May 31, 2022
Easier said than done. Which chairman will want to resign when general election is here? You know how much he will make. The north is taking the south for granted

85 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by helinues: 7:28am On May 31, 2022
bennybuhari:
Easier said than done. Which chairman will want to resign when general election is here? You know how much he will make. The north is taking the south for granted

No argument about this. He will resign.

North can't have presidential aspirant under the party and still maintain party chairman position

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by Nobody: 7:35am On May 31, 2022
PDP would never change.... A sane and transparent party would have had resignation letter drafted immediately after that primaries..

It feels like a new Nigeria standing with prudent leaders, who hold integrity and character in highest regard. Vote right, Vote Labour, Vote Peter Obi.

77 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by bennybuhari: 7:36am On May 31, 2022
resignation in Naija. just like that? Let's see what Wike will do about it sha
helinues:

No argument about this. He will resign.

North can't have presidential aspirant under the party and still maintain party chairman position

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by helinues: 7:37am On May 31, 2022
bennybuhari:
resignation in Naija. just like that? Let's see what Wike will do about it sha

Then you are probably new to Nigeria Politics most especially regarding political party's affairs

4 Likes

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by slivertongue: 7:39am On May 31, 2022
let us now come together under the leadership of the party and be focused to dislodge the APC who have destroyed the very essence of our nationhood

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by bennybuhari: 7:41am On May 31, 2022
tell me something sir. anyone like that resigned before? i want to learn
helinues:

Then you are probably new to Nigeria Politics most especially regarding political party's affairs

10 Likes

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by slickbak(m): 7:45am On May 31, 2022
Jokers. Go comot am na.
Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by princdebola201(m): 7:46am On May 31, 2022
slivertongue:
let us now come together under the leadership of the party and be focused to dislodge the APC who have destroyed the very essence of our nationhood
Pdp is not coming to power soon.
1993 serial loser will be fully retired next year.

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by bennybuhari: 7:48am On May 31, 2022
absolute truth. Wike will give him the Secondus treatment
Esseite:
PDP would never change.... A sane and transparent party would have had resignation letter drafted immediately after that primaries..

It feels like a new Nigeria standing with prudent leaders, who hold integrity and character in highest regard. Vote right, Vote Peter Obi.

1 Like

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by seborrhic: 7:50am On May 31, 2022
The PDP is now effectively a Northern party.
Adieu PDP!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by Bastard1stborn: 7:50am On May 31, 2022
Please send your daughter to my house without panties on

1 Like

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by ayspac(m): 7:52am On May 31, 2022
Eemoh �
Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by slivertongue: 7:55am On May 31, 2022
princdebola201:
Pdp is not coming to power soon.
1993 serial loser will be fully retired next year.

2023 will tell

2 Likes

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by Tinubuadvocate2: 7:58am On May 31, 2022
He was actually brought to execute the mission now the mission was executed he will leave but not this year .probably after the election in 2023.
helinues:
He has no choice than to resign.

Mission accomplished already

82 Likes

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by princdebola201(m): 8:01am On May 31, 2022
slivertongue:

2023 will tell
you don't need to wait. The political events so far made it obvious.
While kwankaso is eating pdp votes in North, peter obi will be dinning with pdp potential votes in ss/se. with the clamour for southern presidency, the serial loser will loose sympathy in entire south and Middlbelt.

77 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by urbobo20(m): 8:02am On May 31, 2022
What if the man does not step down now and atiku went ahead to lose will he step down later

4 Likes

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by Saviourk: 8:03am On May 31, 2022
Ayu was made to sign an undertaking that if the presidential candidate emerges from the North, he will resign from his position.He should humbly honour the agreement and resign.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by bennybuhari: 8:07am On May 31, 2022
if Atiku lost the presidential election, no need for Ayu resigning
urbobo20:
What if the man does not step down now and atiku went ahead to lose will he step down later

2 Likes

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by nony43(m): 8:11am On May 31, 2022
B
Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by olisefom: 8:11am On May 31, 2022
Atiku will be difficult to market sincerely.

12 Likes

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by Lumig: 8:11am On May 31, 2022
cheesy
O nrugbo bọ. The agitation is just starting. Let the likes of Dokpesi, Omokri and others betraying the south to another Fulani president run for cover.
Betrayals of the South

5 Likes

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by id4sho(m): 8:12am On May 31, 2022
shocked
Breakfast loading

2 Likes

Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by sotall(m): 8:12am On May 31, 2022
cool
Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by SensualMan: 8:13am On May 31, 2022
If Wike is not made VP, Atiku u and Tinubu shall join hands in tears.
Re: Atiku's Emergence: Pressure Mounts On PDP Chairman, Ayu To Resign by Tonypens48(m): 8:13am On May 31, 2022
H

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

President-Elect Tinubu Jets Out To Europe Ahead Of Lesser Hajj / 700 Ex-military Officers Amputated, Dismissed Over Boko Haram / Ogun Governor, Abiodun Under Fire For Underrating Obasanjo Before Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.