Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,940 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:32 AM

How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) (49672 Views)

Cassowary: How The World's Most Dangerous Bird Got Its Unique Feathers / Crocodile In Indonesia Has Tyre Around Its Neck, Cash Reward For Who Removes It / 11 Men Push Up A Giraffe On It's Feet By Joining Hands Together (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jun 02, 2022
Giraffes may have grown their distinctive six-to-ten-feet-long necks to better swing their heavy, knobbled skulls around like weapons during courtship contests, a study has argued.

While the exact process that led to the evolution of the giraffe’s long neck has long been uncertain, it had always been assumed that the driver was evolution to reach high foliage. However, this may not be the case, a new study has proposed — with the ability to nibble on the top of trees perhaps more of an incidental benefit. Instead, researchers have proposed, giraffes grew long necks to give themselves better weapons in courtship contests, building on an ancient ancestor who had a disk-shaped “helmet” on their head that they used to headbutt each other.

In their study, palaeontologist Professor Tao Deng of the Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology and Paleoanthropology (IVPP) in Beijing and his colleagues studied a strange-looking early giraffoid species called Discokeryx xiezhi.

In particular, the team analysed the fossilised remains of D. xiezhi — including a complete skull and four neck vertebrae — that were unearthed on the northern margin of the Junggar Basin in northwest China’s Xinjiang region.

According to the researchers, the specimens date back to some 17 million years ago, during the early Miocene epoch.

Prof. Deng said: “Discokeryx xiezhi featured many unique characteristics among mammals, including the development of a disc-like large ossicone in the middle of its head.”

Ossicones are skin-covered bone structures, superficially similar to horns, that can be found on the heads of modern giraffes and male okapi.

In fact, the ancient giraffoid gets its species name from resemblance of its single ossicone to that of the “xiezhi”, a one-horned creature from Chinese mythology.

The team note that the neck vertebrae of D. xiezhi are very stout and have the most complex joints of any known mammal between both the head and neck and between the vertebrae.

Furthermore, the researchers’ analysis indicated that these complex articulations were particularly well suited to engaging in high-speed, head-to-head impacts — more so even than modern animals like musk oxen that are adapted for banging heads.

In fact, the team said, D. xiezhi may well be the vertebrate best adapted to head impacts from all of life’s history.

Paper author and vertebrate palaeontologist Professor Shiqi Wang, also of IVPP, said: “Both living giraffes and Discokeryx xiezhi belong to the Giraffoidea, a superfamily.

“Although their skull and neck morphologies differ greatly, both are associated with male courtship struggles and both have evolved in an extreme direction.”

Next, the researchers compared the horn shapes and sizes of several groups of ruminants, including not only giraffoids but also cattle, deer, sheep and pronghorns.

The team found that the giraffe family have more extreme horn differences between species than other groups — suggesting that courtship struggles are more intense and diverse in giraffes than in other ruminants.

According to the researchers, D. xiezhi lived during a time when the Earth was warm and generally densely forested — although the Xinjiang region where the ancient giraffoid lived was comparatively drier in the Miocene as a result of the rising of the Tibetan plateau to the south block the influx of water vapour.

Paper co-author and palaeontologist Dr Jin Meng of the American Museum of Natural History said: “Stable isotopes of tooth enamel have indicated that Discokeryx xiezhi was living in open grasslands and may have migrated seasonally.”

The grassland environment, the team explained, would have been more barren and less comfortable than the forest settings enjoyed elsewhere during the early Miocene.

Accordingly, the violent fighting behaviour of D. xiezhi may have been driven by environmentally-driven stressors.

A similar environment existed when the genus Giraffa first emerged around seven million years ago, the researchers explained.

At this time, the East African Plateau also changed from a forested environment to open grassland, which would have forced the direct ancestors of giraffes to adapt accordingly.

The researchers propose that mating males developed a way of attacking their competitors by swinging their heads and necks.

It was this extreme struggle — supported by sexual selection — that led to the rapid elongation of the giraffe’s neck over a period of two million years.

And while this would then have made modern giraffes ideally suited to feeding on high foliage, it was the courtship competition brought about by the challenging nature of their environment that led to their extreme neck evolution.

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1620002/giraffe-iconic-long-neck-evolved-make-head-better-weapon-discokeryx-xiezhi

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by Unzerious: 10:45pm On Jun 02, 2022
I dey wonder how this Giraffe go Taste grin

Who Science Epp, abeg any Giraffe eater in the House

Modified: 1st FTC this Month, I Obligate this to the Fight against MonkeyPox.

97 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by Howtoday(f): 10:46pm On Jun 02, 2022
Very insightful

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by saintkeppy(m): 12:00am On Jun 03, 2022
Special animal with distinctive features, Long Neck.

In Examination Hall, you're advised to stop Giraffing, sticking or stretching your neck out looking at your seat mate's answers script/booklet copying.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by LogicBomb8: 12:55am On Jun 03, 2022
And to do amebo ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by Lordbinsmar: 2:05am On Jun 03, 2022
grin

Stop Giraffing me naa

Omo that time wey we dey primary school

grin

101 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by tillaman(m): 3:42am On Jun 03, 2022
angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by DavidEsq(m): 3:49am On Jun 03, 2022
Unzerious:

grin grin cheesy grin grin

3 Likes

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by samuelthaking(m): 4:55am On Jun 03, 2022
But data, stay online

Check my signature
Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by ThatKING(m): 6:15am On Jun 03, 2022
samuelthaking:
But data, stay online

Check my signature
cheesy
Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by Nobody: 6:41am On Jun 03, 2022
the girl way day tell me to stop giraffing her ans na pepper she day sell now grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by TeeGentle(m): 7:23am On Jun 03, 2022
The write up long o cheesy
I didn't even read it

I can't be giraffing on this long write-up

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by TeeGentle(m): 7:24am On Jun 03, 2022
Ferrytech:
the girl way day tell me to stop giraffing her ans na pepper she day sell now grin
Haha cheesy cheesy grin grin
I no fit laugh

2 Likes

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by dynicks(m): 9:44am On Jun 03, 2022
grin
Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by Belial06: 9:44am On Jun 03, 2022
undecided

When there is no content you improvise

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by FoolaniHellman: 9:45am On Jun 03, 2022
Ok
Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by Maxymilliano(m): 9:45am On Jun 03, 2022
grin ... Nice one but how does the word Giraffing becomes synonymous with examination malpractice used to describe the practice of peeping from other candidates in an examination

2 Likes

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by STEWpid(f): 9:45am On Jun 03, 2022
Chai

15 Likes

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by Rigiidi(m): 9:45am On Jun 03, 2022
Wow very informative

2 Likes

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by Honestfrend: 9:45am On Jun 03, 2022
My uncle aka Analyers told me a different story..

Tnk God for internet.

Meanwhile check my siggy.. Free cloud mining..
Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by DSC7: 9:45am On Jun 03, 2022
Because they wan dey see everything wey no concern them...
Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by wumi2017(f): 9:45am On Jun 03, 2022
Myths and legends

2 Likes

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by TheirFADA: 9:46am On Jun 03, 2022
How the giraffes got their long necks?
See the nonsense proof they came up with
All these scientists will sha be finding what's not lost

They have a long neck because that was how God created them, simple undecided

46 Likes

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by BluntCrazeMan: 9:46am On Jun 03, 2022
Kitty
Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by sotall(m): 9:46am On Jun 03, 2022
J
Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by PhenomenalAustin: 9:46am On Jun 03, 2022
Unzerious:

Broo, remember sae na me make you FTC

Tomorrow na my turn ooo

Lol

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by alphaconde(m): 9:47am On Jun 03, 2022
i don see story tell me sons this night

thanks for this
Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by Nobody: 9:47am On Jun 03, 2022
Evolutionary biology is full of nonsense... They don't want to believe God intentionally created anything... undecided

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Giraffe Got Its Long Neck (Pictures) by money121(m): 9:47am On Jun 03, 2022
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Boy Shows Off The Robot He Built By Himself (pics/vid) / Photos: Aircraft Construction A-Z. / Man Nearly Eaten By A Crocodile At Australian Zoo (Video & Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.