Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,575 members, 7,801,647 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:22 PM

Boyfriend Acting Different-why? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Boyfriend Acting Different-why? (3084 Views)

Nigerian Actress Goes Unclad In The Name Of Acting(photo) / How Do I Demand For Sex Without Acting Like A Pervert / My Boyfriend Has Been Acting Differently Despite My Complaints (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by dstiva: 10:18pm On Jul 19, 2011
I have been in a relationship with this naija guy here in the states for about 3 months with this guy who came after me, dated me, treated me well and then after about a month, he asked me to be his girlfriend. After I did, everything was cool until after about two months, I noticed his behavior changed, he would call and text me less than before so I waited some time and finally told him I didn't like it and he promised to do better, which he did for about a week. Then the next week, he went missing for a day and then after i called him twice, he finally texted me the next day saying that he was in the hospital with his sick uncle. I didn't believe him and got mad so i sent me a text saying maybe we should just be friends. He went silent, and didn't respond. The next day, I felt bad and I called and texted to apologize, and no word from him for 2 weeks! Finally, a mutual friend intervened and she confirmed that his uncle was sick and that his dad is terminally ill in naija and so he's going through a lot since he cannot be there for his family in nigeria. She got him to finally call me a few days later and when he called, I told him I was sorry again and he seemed non-chalant and polite, he didn't really want to talk about what was going on but he seemed okay, he apologized for not calling me, said he's been busy, etc. He ended the convo with "I'll talk to you later." He didn't call me again, so after a few days, I called and texted him again and he only responds to texts hours later with a polite "i'm okay just busy". After about a week, I offered (by text) to bring food to his house so I could see him as my attempt to be supportive of what he was going through and he did not respond for 2 days. When he did respond, he said "sorry, I just got this, was out of town but wish I could have been in town, thanks for the offer, i'll holla at u later". Its been another two days since that text and nothing from him. Should I just stop calling him, i feel like i am chasing him and he doesn't want me anymore. if that is the case, why not just tell me? Should I try calling him at work? Should i try to get our mutual friend to arrange a meeting? I need to know why he's treating me so bad! Or Should i be patient and leave him alone until he contacts me since he is dealing with a sick parent? or is he just using his sick family as an excuse because he doesn't care about me anymore? I haven't seen him in 3 weeks and he only lives about an hour away from me. He's acting so different towards me and I want to know why? What should I do?
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by 195(f): 10:20pm On Jul 19, 2011
Has there been sex between the 2 of you

cos if you deny him sex - he'll look 4 it elsewhere

He's a Nigerian man and we cant stay without sex
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by ShyOne(f): 10:25pm On Jul 19, 2011
Get a new boyfriend

he's playing games - dump him - as soon as you dump him - he'll have an epiphany which will motivate him to remember your name. but who cares? who wants a boyfriend that you have to flag down just so you can hear his voice, regardless to what he is or isn't going through?

tongue
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by Goldieluks: 10:28pm On Jul 19, 2011
@OP,this sounds kinda sad,
but why don't you be patient with him,cause it looks like he's going through
a difficult situation with his dad's health and stuffs.You sounded like your feeling very hurt,which
is understandable,but just give him some time to sort himself out.And you may also wanna
text and call him less,if he is meant for you,he will always come back,but if he's not,then,too bad.

Look for other things to occupy your mind,and think less of him.Allow things to flow naturally,and
don't push too hard,cause you might get hurt in the process.

that's how i see it.
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by Skii(m): 10:29pm On Jul 19, 2011
dstiva:

I have been in a relationship with this naija guy here in the states for about 3 months with this guy who came after me, dated me, treated me well and then after about a month, he asked me to be his girlfriend. After I did, everything was cool until after about two months, I noticed his behavior changed, he would call and text me less than before so I waited some time and finally told him I didn't like it and he promised to do better, which he did for about a week. Then the next week, he went missing for a day and then after i called him twice, he finally texted me the next day saying that he was in the hospital with his sick uncle. I didn't believe him and got mad so i sent me a text saying maybe we should just be friends. He went silent, and didn't respond. The next day, I felt bad and I called and texted to apologize, and no word from him for 2 weeks! Finally, a mutual friend intervened and she confirmed that his uncle was sick and that his dad is terminally ill in naija and so he's going through a lot since he cannot be there for his family in nigeria. She got him to finally call me a few days later and when he called, I told him I was sorry again and he seemed non-chalant and polite, he didn't really want to talk about what was going on but he seemed okay, he apologized for not calling me, said he's been busy, etc. He ended the convo with "I'll talk to you later." He didn't call me again, so after a few days, I called and texted him again and he only responds to texts hours later with a polite "i'm okay just busy". After about a week, I offered (by text) to bring food to his house so I could see him as my attempt to be supportive of what he was going through and he did not respond for 2 days. When he did respond, he said "sorry, I just got this, was out of town but wish I could have been in town, thanks for the offer, i'll holla at u later". Its been another two days since that text and nothing from him. Should I just stop calling him, i feel like i am chasing him and he doesn't want me anymore. if that is the case, why not just tell me? Should I try calling him at work? Should i try to get our mutual friend to arrange a meeting? I need to know why he's treating me so bad! Or Should i be patient and leave him alone until he contacts me since he is dealing with a sick parent? or is he just using his sick family as an excuse because he doesn't care about me anymore? I haven't seen him in 3 weeks and he only lives about an hour away from me. He's acting so different towards me and I want to know why? What should I do?

^^^^thats my suggestion
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by slimyem: 11:33pm On Jul 19, 2011
op,i've been in your shoes before.you need to have a face to face talk with this guy and find out if he's in or out.and dont be pathetic bout it.
He might be going thru a lot or he's trying to find a way to knock you off and he doesnt know how to put it.
This way u'd know if you are supposed to hang aroun or take a walk.
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by Nobody: 9:24am On Jul 20, 2011
Let him go. Stop calling, texting frequently you can check him up once in a while. Very hard yes but you need to be wanted too before you lose face completely. Whatever he is going through let him sort himself out, let him discover he needs you (if he does) and when (if) he comes back be sure he understands what a rship is all about.
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by slymm(f): 9:31am On Jul 20, 2011
@OP, 3 months you say? Thats such a short time, maybe he has not bonded enough with you to share whatever he is going through. i say see him face to face, talk to him and tell him you want to be there for him, and ask him wtsup with both of you, listen to him and from his expression and words, you will know if you should just forget about him or not. You are obviously hurting, and if he ever cared about you, he should be able to see that. When you are in a relationship, its never just about you alone anymore.
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by Mynd44: 9:39am On Jul 20, 2011
Peopla are so insensitive, His father is terminally ill and he can't see him cos he is a billion miles away in a country where the cold has almost frozen his brains out and to add another one to it, his Uncle is also sick. Has it occured to you that he might not be in need of a GF but a friend? Typical Nigerian girl, always thinking about herself and noting else
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by slimyem: 9:59am On Jul 20, 2011
Mynd_44:

Peopla are so insensitive, His father is terminally ill and he can't see him cos he is a billion miles away in a country where the cold has almost frozen his brains out and to add another one to it, his Uncle is also sick. Has it occured to you that he might not be in need of a GF but a friend? Typical Nigerian girl, always thinking about herself and noting else
stop being judgemental.from what i read from op,she's being trying to be a friend and the guy is just not seeing it.this doesnt look selfish to me at all
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by Mynd44: 10:02am On Jul 20, 2011
^^^
I don't know what you read but she is trying to dump him for not calling. Please do you dump your friends who are emotionally down cos they don't call you back?
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by slymm(f): 11:01am On Jul 20, 2011
Puhlease, there is nothing selfish about @OP. Dude is shutting her out, how do u be a friend to someone who is shutting you out, and will not let you be a friend to them? She was not even told by him that his dad was ill. The relationship is just 3months, and i guess he does not feel close enough to her to open up, but still @OP deserves to know if he wants her friendship or not.
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by kpolli(m): 1:38pm On Jul 20, 2011
190_@:

Has there been sex between the 2 of you

cos if you deny him sex - he'll look 4 it elsewhere

He's a Nigerian man and we cant stay without sex

190!!! behave

Shy-One:

Get a new boyfriend

he's playing games - dump him - as soon as you dump him - he'll have an epiphany which will motivate him to remember your name. but who cares? who wants a boyfriend that you have to flag down just so you can hear his voice, regardless to what he is or isn't going through?

tongue

may u never be in that guys position. . . . u think its easy

Goldieluks:

@OP,this sounds kinda sad,
but why don't you be patient with him,cause it looks like he's going through
a difficult situation with his dad's health and stuffs.You sounded like your feeling very hurt,which
is understandable,but just give him some time to sort himself out.And you may also wanna
text and call him less,if he is meant for you,he will always come back,but if he's not,then,too bad.

Look for other things to occupy your mind,and think less of him.Allow things to flow naturally,and
don't push too hard,cause you might get hurt in the process.

that's how i see it.

follow her advice
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by omega25red(m): 1:51pm On Jul 20, 2011
poster

how can you wait for someone who is not communicating with you?
I understand that he has some family emergncies going on but at least you will explain yourself and the reasons why you couldn't be in touch.
I would have said be patient but seriously delete dude's number. If i have a family emergency i would want to confide in a person whom i care about for comfort or advice and i wouldn't keep them in the dark about all that is going on.

Stop sweating a dude who don't want you and even if he did he is not actting like he does.
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by ShyOne(f): 1:59pm On Jul 20, 2011
@ kpolli

Here's my take on it:

They Were Intimate in the 3 months he has been her boyfriend here in the States.  Dating, enjoying each other in a frivolous manner.  He ran after her, ran behind her.  She was good enough for that for him.

He goes through a life-altering situation(s) with his family - his lifeblood back in Naija and closes her out.  She wasn't taken seriously enough by him for him to inform her of any of it.  He just stops the contact.  In my mind if he saw her as "wife material" he would have informed her whether they were together 3 months or 3 years.  If he wanted her in his life on a longevity level he would have included her and allowed her to assist him even in his grief.

GF or not - he sees you as a "foreigner," and/or not someone he wants to share his family life with which leads me to see that at this point in time - she wouldn't be the one he introduces to his Nigerian family.

Again, I would move on - I would find another boyfriend or stop dating and heal from this one.  Unless you have the time to deal with this at the start of this "new relationship."  Be aware that you are dealing with not just a "new relationship" but a normal and regular life cycle event that includes illness, death, culture, how he deals with stress as a man, how he deals with stress as a foreigner who is from Naija, his view of your role in his life in midst of crisis, and his view of your role in his life while in midst of crisis as a foreigner, true acceptance by him, etc., etc., etc.

Poster - if this happens in your life - a death, an illness - would you close him out and how would he feel?

as I finished typing and hit reply this writer posted THE OBVIOUS TRUTH(S) better than I did above.

omega25red:

poster

how can you wait for someone who is not communicating with you?
I understand that he has some family emergncies going on but at least you will explain yourself and the reasons why you couldn't be in touch.
I would have said be patient but seriously delete dude's number. If i have a family emergency i would want to confide in a person whom i care about for comfort or advice and i wouldn't keep them in the dark about all that is going on.

Stop sweating a dude who don't want you and even if he did he is not actting like he does.
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by kpolli(m): 2:06pm On Jul 20, 2011
dstiva:

as a guy having family issues, my new gf of 3 months sends me that . . . . that can cause alot of damage. . . n we dont know how bad the txt was. . . .

my fada is ill, i tell u, then u call me a liar . . . .l com'on lets be human
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by ShyOne(f): 2:24pm On Jul 20, 2011
kpolli:

as a guy having family issues, my new gf of 3 months sends me that . . . . that can cause alot of damage. . . n we dont know how bad the txt was. . . .

my fada is ill, i tell u, then u call me a liar . . . .l com'on lets be human

I believe you very much - "liar" that word is used casually here in the States - whether I like it or not. But "words in Nigeria" are taken much more seriously than here in the States.

That is one of the "culture' differences. So I do believe you - I found this out from my guy - so I have to many, many times choose my words very carefully as he takes them much more seriously than I do. SO I believe you when you said that ^^^ - however the poster doesn't probably know that her words have caused the damage to the point that he wouldn't return the call(s).

Poster - if you want this guy and you have the fortitude and severe patience at 3 months into a relationship to start this relationship off on this footing - if you feel he is worth it - then definitely follow "goldie's" advice as I too believe it is very good as well.
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by dstiva: 5:33pm On Jul 20, 2011
Thanks for the advice all. I do truly want to be there for him as a friend and feel like I have tried to repeatedly reach out to him and gotten nothing but shut out, this is very hard for me, especially when I know that he has spent time with our mutual friend and others, meaning that he has not shut others out, only me, because I care for him, not being allowed to be there for him hurts my feelings, however, I am not trying to dump him, I care for him and am willing to wait if i knew that he was not finished with me but if he is finished with me, don't i deserve to hear that from him so i can move on and get over him if there is no hope for us. I understand that the text I sent was harsh and have apologized for it profusely. At the time I sent it, I did not know that his dad was sick. All I knew was that he went missing overnight and when he came back he said he was in the hosptial with his sick uncle. The text said, "it seems like lately calling me and telling me whats going on with you is stressing you out and i don't want to be a cause of stress to you, maybe we should just be friends". I was angry when i sent the text because i was not being included in his life and felt that had he told me what was going on maybe i could have helped in someway but I didn't realize what I said would cause him not to talk to me for so long, and now, even since we have talked, it is very distant as if he does not care or is only responding to text to be polite. I understand that he is going through a lot right now with his family but why he won't allow me to be there for him is what i cannot understand. I am not sure at this point if he even wants my friendship since he keeps rejecting my attempts to reach out and support him. I just wish he would tell me what I could do to help and if he even wants me in his life ever again, that way I could know what to do. I agree with Goldie and others who have said that I should give him space and time and it will hurt me not to talk to and/or see him but I can do it if it would maybe help the situation. Should I not contact him at all ?
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by ShyOne(f): 5:41pm On Jul 20, 2011
no

don't pick up the phone - don't call him - listen to Goldie - I agree with her words as well

let him contact you
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by Cosmass(f): 7:57pm On Jul 20, 2011
dstiva:

My dear I have been in your shoes before and I can relate very well to how you feel. Best advice as some have said is to not call him or at least call him less. Stay away for some time and you will see him start calling except of course he is tired of the relationship. It hurts yes, but trust me, it would get better with time, just try and not call him. Occupy yourself with other things. Wish you the best.
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by Mynd44: 4:15pm On Jul 21, 2011
Why not send him what you posted here either as a mail or SMS?
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 21, 2011
@poster
did you actually created a new profile to post the SAME question again?! why do you think that it will make any difference from the answer you got the first time?
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by horny4u(f): 12:08am On Jul 23, 2011
STOP !
Are you bow legged ? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked I am slightly bow legged and i get advances all the time,
Whiten your teeth, get some nice weave done, shop for new shoes, gather your girlfirends and go to the cinema,

NO CALLING HIM, NO TEXTING HIM , NO EMAILING HIM, NO FACEBOOKING AND TWITTERING OR BBING HIM EITHER FOR 90 DAYS.

Open yourself to other men's advances not pe.nices o and have lots of fun , He will be back, make him work and beg for you,

Get standards !
O ra ye iranu.

CRY FOR TWO HOURS STRAIGHT, CLEAN EYE , AND START DATING.
P.S Never show a man you are keen until you are MRS (HIS FATHER NAME) BE FUN AND KIND NOT KEEN.
Re: Boyfriend Acting Different-why? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 23, 2011
Cosmass:

My dear I have been in your shoes before and I can relate very well to how you feel. Best advice as some have said is to not call him or at least call him less. Stay away for some time and you will see him start calling except of course he is tired of the relationship. It hurts yes, but trust me, it would get better with time, just try and not call him. Occupy yourself with other things. Wish you the best.

exactly! cool

(1) (Reply)

Letter To My Future Hubby / Don't Buy Any Woman A Gift This Val / Guys... I Really Messed Up 2day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.