Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,670 members, 7,801,934 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:18 AM

Portfolio Is Not Necessary For A Developer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Portfolio Is Not Necessary For A Developer (617 Views)

Is DSA Really Necessary For A Programmer/web, App Developer? / Are You A Developer? Earn Up To 1000 Dollars A Day With 234code.com / 30 Things You Should Not Say To A Developer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Portfolio Is Not Necessary For A Developer by Phantaminum1(f): 4:30pm On Jun 09, 2022
I saw this post on Twitter. Senior or experienced developers what do you think.

Re: Portfolio Is Not Necessary For A Developer by Serenitys: 4:43pm On Jun 09, 2022
Not entirely true, some organization considers
it very vital..

1 Like

Re: Portfolio Is Not Necessary For A Developer by chim14(m): 5:11pm On Jun 09, 2022
My first software contract I got to build an erp for a company years ago, I had to show them a sample application of what they needed. That sample application I showed, na just play play I use build am throw 4 corner many months before I got the contract.

After presentation, a cheque was written that very day. That was my very first software money and I delivered in less than a month cuz I was excited.

So it depends sometimes you dont need a portfolio, you just need someone to vouch for you to the client or if u've worked in some notable esterblishments. Doors will just open.

Sometimes its a Spirit thing, a client just likes you when you meet & develop trust that you can deliver, it has happened to me times without number, I didnt need to prove anything. This one is a divine / spiritual one, doesnt happen all the time.

3 Likes

Re: Portfolio Is Not Necessary For A Developer by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:15pm On Jun 09, 2022
It depends. If you are trying to get your first job a portfolio is very important but once you have experience under your belt no one cares. I don't have any portfolio currently and I am still able to get multiple interviews but when I was starting my portfolio was what was getting me interviews and was very instrumental to getting my first job and infact was all me and my interviewers would talk about during interviews.

So it depends on which stage in your career you are in.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Portfolio Is Not Necessary For A Developer by stanliwise(m): 7:11pm On Jun 09, 2022
Portfolios are best for freelancers or prolly starters in the field. For people who has worked for major cooperate firms in a particular position . You don’t need it
Re: Portfolio Is Not Necessary For A Developer by Phantaminum1(f): 8:26pm On Jun 09, 2022
Thanks for the feedback, y'all.

1 Like

Re: Portfolio Is Not Necessary For A Developer by tollyboy5(m): 2:25pm On Jun 10, 2022
I think GitHub repository is what some company ask for these days.
Re: Portfolio Is Not Necessary For A Developer by latmukd: 4:40pm On Jun 10, 2022
I think the tweet is talking about creating a website purposely for portfolio i.e. a website that showcase your work => "portfolio website".
Re: Portfolio Is Not Necessary For A Developer by daddynasa: 5:21pm On Jun 10, 2022
For starters and freelancers it is very important but for seniors, git repo and a nice linkedin profile is enough
Re: Portfolio Is Not Necessary For A Developer by 3exe3: 1:43pm On Jun 11, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
It depends. If you are trying to get your first job a portfolio is very important but once you have experience under your belt no one cares. I don't have any portfolio currently and I am still able to get multiple interviews but when I was starting my portfolio was what was getting me interviews and was very instrumental to getting my first job and infact was all me and my interviewers would talk about during interviews.

So it depends on which stage in your career you are in.

Though I do understand that u mean it's important at early stage to show something to sale yourself.
But there are developers who find frontend especially design difficult
Re: Portfolio Is Not Necessary For A Developer by Xinjin: 5:37pm On Jun 11, 2022
portfolio website != portfolio projects

(1) (Reply)

Too Much Rejection Mails / Female Programmers / Computers To Come Without Optical Drives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.