Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,896 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:26 AM

I Want To Learn Programming But I Suck At Mathematics - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming But I Suck At Mathematics (709 Views)

I Suck At Programming, But I Love It. What Should I Do? / I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice / If You've Always Wanted To Learn Programming But Failed, Be Here!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Learn Programming But I Suck At Mathematics by Cyril009(m): 9:46am On Jun 11, 2022
I really been all tech getting someone phone and going through the phone finished Senior Secondary School few years back

I have always been bad at maths it started in primary 6 all the way to SS3

I never understood what the teacher was teaching didn't matter how many times I asked kids who were good at it i just didn't get it.

So I want to Blockchain and Cryotocurrency programming and a couple other coding related skill
but since I don't have any knowledge at mathematics can I learn programming/coding ?
should I start learning maths before hand or will I be taught the mathematics needed for a type programming while learning programming/coding
Re: I Want To Learn Programming But I Suck At Mathematics by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 9:48am On Jun 11, 2022
You no sabi maths?

You wan learn programming ?

Na church programme you go fit arrange be that oo..

You don't need maths for that kind programming,just CRS. grin

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming But I Suck At Mathematics by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:49am On Jun 11, 2022
I won't be the one to tell you that mathematics is not important especially with regards to data structures and algorithms. One of the most important data structures graph is based of graph theory in mathematics. Graph theory is also used heavily in engineering and pure sciences like chemistry and physics. However, your lack of knowledge of mathematics shouldn't scare you off programming. There's a ton of resources You can use to brush off on your basic mathematics. Khan academy, brilliant.org alongside a host of others.

Nothing should stop you if you are really determined. Others have done it and so can you

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Programming But I Suck At Mathematics by Ay04z(m): 9:53am On Jun 11, 2022
Math don't stop u... As long u sabi cram something well well.... And don't forget easily
Re: I Want To Learn Programming But I Suck At Mathematics by AllBlack: 9:59am On Jun 11, 2022
OyeofIkoTuN:
You no sabi maths?

You wan learn programming ?

Na church programme you go fit arrange be that oo..

You don't need maths for that kind programming,just CRS. grin

and you say you are a child of God with this kain blasting. angry
Re: I Want To Learn Programming But I Suck At Mathematics by Cyril009(m): 10:01am On Jun 11, 2022
Ay04z:
Math don't stop u... As long u sabi cram something well well.... And don't forget easily

tensazangetsu20:
I won't be the one to tell you that mathematics is not important especially with regards to data structures and algorithms. One of the most important data structures graph is based of graph theory in mathematics. Graph theory is also used heavily in engineering and pure sciences like chemistry and physics. However, your lack of knowledge of mathematics shouldn't scare you off programming. There's a ton of resources You can use to brush off on your basic mathematics. Khan academy, brilliant.org alongside a host of others.

Nothing should stop you if you are really determined. Others have done it and so can you

Thanks a lot Sirs, I would appreciate it if you guys can tell me the maths topics I should learn.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming But I Suck At Mathematics by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 10:11am On Jun 11, 2022
AllBlack:

and you say you are a child of God with this kain blasting. angry

Ah..you want him to insult me

it cannot work for you...

How I take blast am...? na you dey read am with evil mind
Re: I Want To Learn Programming But I Suck At Mathematics by Xedmark: 10:30am On Jun 11, 2022
You do not necessarily need maths to be a successful programmer. Just make sure you are very good in logic thinking. Although logic is very close to mathematics and it's applies to maths as well but not exactly maths. That's exactly where Mental Maths and Quantitative reasoning came from... It's just your ability to do some critical thinking. For example, if you have some data provided as gender and the question is, if you're not a boy what will u be? Now use a programming language of your choice to figure this out. It's like you having the answer before the question 20=10*2(); Goodluck!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming But I Suck At Mathematics by namikaze: 10:47am On Jun 11, 2022
Yep you do need maths, how much maths depends on what you want to specialize in. The best programmers I've met are good at maths even though some don't really enjoy it. Generally the more maths you know the better, especially when things like DSA and discrete maths come into play, and these are the backbones of really good programmers.
You'll here a lot of folks talk about logical thinking, thing is there is no way you can be good at logical thinking and be bad at maths, even if you don't like maths.
The good news is you can still learn maths, especially the fundamentals. I'll recommend Khanacademy.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming But I Suck At Mathematics by Nobody: 10:49am On Jun 11, 2022
Cyril009:
I really been all tech getting someone phone and going through the phone finished Senior Secondary School few years back

I have always been bad at maths it started in primary 6 all the way to SS3

I never understood what the teacher was teaching didn't matter how many times I asked kids who were good at it i just didn't get it.

So I want to Blockchain and Cryotocurrency programming and a couple other coding related skill
but since I don't have any knowledge at mathematics can I learn programming/coding ?
should I start learning maths before hand or will I be taught the mathematics needed for a type programming while learning programming/coding
Truth be told you don't need mathematic in the average tech field, just the complex ones like game design where you'll need plenty physics, and maybe data science. But a good knowledge mathematics is good for programming (being able to think logically)
Without logic you can't survive in any tech field even Blockchain.
Anyway that's just my experience and research, let GREATIGBOMAN not see this he'll call you a fraud cos he's the best Dev in Nigeria angry

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming But I Suck At Mathematics by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jun 11, 2022
Think4Myself:

Truth be told you don't need mathematic in the average tech field, just the complex ones like game design where you'll need plenty physics, and maybe data science. But a good knowledge mathematics is good for programming (being able to think logically)
Without logic you can't survive in any tech field even Blockchain.
Anyway that's just my experience and research, let GREATIGBOMAN not see this he'll call you a fraud cos he's the best Dev in Nigeria angry

Everything is not OK with you.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming But I Suck At Mathematics by InfinityFabric: 2:18pm On Jun 11, 2022
Guy you never learn anything u dey think of Crypto programming.
You can learn both math and programming online from people who know what they're doing and NOT olodo Nigerian teachers who are just here for poverty alleviation.

Math: https://www.youtube.com/c/khanacademy/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=6

You can also start ur computer journey here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpIctyqH29Q&list=PL8dPuuaLjXtNlUrzyH5r6jN9ulIgZBpdo&index=1
Re: I Want To Learn Programming But I Suck At Mathematics by Xinjin: 4:41pm On Jun 11, 2022
If you want to gain a good knowledge of programming you can't dodge basic mathematics. math logic is always needed in programming, and some concepts of programming are purely base off mathematics. If you want to learn programming you must start falling in love with mathematics. you can always read along.

(1) (Reply)

Can Offshore Technology Development Model Work In Nigeria ? / Can Anyone Teach C#,asp.net / How Can I Control Spammers In A Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.