Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,828 members, 7,802,646 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:14 PM

How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job (5813 Views)

Ugrade To The Next Level With Netflix Premium Ultra 4k HD - "Take Action Today" / The Easiest Way To Record Netflix Video With Vidmore Screen Recorder / Netflix Premium Acct For Sale....1k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by SavageBoy: 12:41am On Jun 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Lol algorithms skills are needed for the interviews rather. Interview in big tech is centered solely around algorithms and systems design. No one cares about your stack or your field of software development. I don't know if you follow this girl adaora. She's very intelligent. She used to be a frontend developer but now she does cloud computing and embedded systems at Microsoft. With big companies it's all about the ability to learn fast and how smart you are not what you know or have done before. You should be able to pick up anything and run with it.

Yeah I know her.
If what you're saying is true, it means "data structures and algorithms" need to be classified as an independent field in tech, one that's independent of software engineering.
So why do bug tech coys prioritize knowledge of DS&A, what exactly is it's relevance?
Are you telling me now that if I can get a good job in tech if I have a sound knowledge of DS&A without really being good at coding?
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:45am On Jun 12, 2022
SavageBoy:

Yeah I know her.
If what you're saying is true, it means "data structures and algorithms" need to be classified as an independent field in tech, one that's independent of software engineering.
So why do bug tech coys prioritize knowledge of DS&A, what exactly is it's relevance?
Are you telling me now that if I can get a good job in tech if I have a sound knowledge of DS&A without really being good at coding?

Yes to the bolded. Data structures is very hard lol. To me it's even more difficult than the coding itself. When I was learning JavaScript it was challenging but it wasn't as challenging as learning data structures from the ground up. Companies test for data structures and algorithms because they prioritize problem solving skills over anything and data structures and algorithms is just a standardised way to really test for that specific skill in an individual.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by SavageBoy: 12:45am On Jun 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

He said he wanted example. Lol I even forgot adaora. She used to be a frontend dev in Lagos here for an agency and now is a cloud computing and embedded systems programmer at Microsoft. She works on Microsoft mesh writing low level code.

Does this adaora girl still code?
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:46am On Jun 12, 2022
SavageBoy:

Does this adaora girl still code?

Yes she's even doing an MBA at Stanford. Today she organised a data structures and algorithms class on zoom.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by SavageBoy: 12:50am On Jun 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Yes to the bolded. Data structures is very hard lol. To me it's even more difficult than the coding itself. When I was learning JavaScript it was challenging but it wasn't as challenging as learning data structures from the ground up. Companies test for data structures and algorithms because they prioritize problem solving skills over anything and data structures and algorithms is just a standardised way to really test for that specific skill in an individual.

Wow!
But is it possible to get grounded in DS&A while having minimal knowledge about core programming?
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by SavageBoy: 12:52am On Jun 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Yes she's even doing an MBA at Stanford. Today she organised a data structures and algorithms class on zoom.

For her to organize a DS&A class, she must have become a guru in this DS&A thingy.
But is there an end to learning DS&A or is it a lifelong process?
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:56am On Jun 12, 2022
SavageBoy:

For her to organize a DS&A class, she must have become a guru in this DS&A thingy.
But is there an end to learning DS&A or is it a lifelong process?

There's no end. You learn it forever except Yoh are tired of being a programmer. Senior devs at even google and co the ones I have spoken to solve at least 2 everyday to keep their memory sharp. It's like going to the gym, if you stop going you lose all your gains.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by SavageBoy: 1:00am On Jun 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

There's no end. You learn it forever except Yoh are tired of being a programmer. Senior devs at even google and co the ones I have spoken to solve at least 2 everyday to keep their memory sharp. It's like going to the gym, if you stop going you lose all your gains.

Wow!
That's interesting
Thanks for your responses chief
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by SDJosh: 1:24am On Jun 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

You dont need to be amongst the top 5 percent to command such a salary. You can be a mediocre dev and get such high salaries. The skills to interview as a software engineer and the skills to actually be a good software engineer are two opposite ends of the spectrum. If you spend the time studying for interviews you will be able to get such salary but if you spend the time learning to be a good programmer you will be a good programmer but you will never make it into any of the companies paying such salaries. If you check that guys leetcode profile he might have solved every question there and probably just revises them whenever he has interviews.

Probably someone like alex wice https://leetcode.com/awice/. He has solved almost everything there and doesnt stay too long at any job. He earns more than a million dollars a year.

You are on point boss.
I had a meeting with SRE at Google yesterday. Baba told me straight up to sharpen my DSA problem-solving ability and leetcode like mad.
He worked as Software Engineer before joining Google as Site Reliability Engineer, and he wasn't familiar with SRE tools and process. He said he was able to move from L4 to L5 within 1.5 years, also planning to jump ship for a bigger TC soon.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by bigbauer(m): 1:48am On Jun 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Hahaha when I posted that someone was earning 33k USD per month. The person earning such posted on the thread. People are making unbelievable money in this tech thing. Unbelievable money. Do you know that there are Nigerians that have from Nigeria gotten internships at this hedge funds. There was one a while back they were being 21000 USD a month for internship. People are getting insane jobs. I see It in the discord, Facebook and slack groups I am in now. In fact it's why I want to get Adderall so I can forego sleep for the next one to two years and study leetcode so I can get into a big company. Things are happening that you will never believe. Unilag boys are getting internships in companies like Goldman Sachs, bank of America, Bloomberg and google. I hear that leetcode is now a tradition amongst the engineering and computer science students.

Just study hard these jobs are there and the people getting it have one head.

Please can you share the Discord and slack groups? Thanks in advance
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Anonime1105(m): 4:55am On Jun 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Lol the Indian guy is just now learning html and css for his internship. He spent all his time learning algorithms and design patterns. Well it depends sha just get job you fit start with that html and css then when you get job you start dey learn those dsa cause dsa fit take you more than 2 years to get good. At least to be earning some money during that period. I don't know your situation. If your parents are very well to do and rucb then it's wiser to learn everything to get the high paying role but if you are from a poor family it's better to learn something that can give you a job at least and you can start learning the core things in that job. Imagine you dey learn dsa or design patterns and laptop spoil and You went through serious pain to even get the laptop
lipsrsealed
OmO na one of my biggest fear be this o! That's why I dey protect my lappy same way Lioness dey jealously guard her pikin, I nearly give one guy smack down the other day wey he carry my fragile laptop by the lid alone, I wan craze grin, something wey I dey pray make I get job before e pack up on me.

2 Likes

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Anonime1105(m): 5:00am On Jun 12, 2022
Brogrammer:
A Netflix engineer with 6 years of experience and 1 month of prep on leetcode, system design & behavioral interviews landed a job making $800K

He went through 7 interviews and received 7 offers from Airbnb, Google, Snap, Roblox, Stripe, AtoB, and Quant trading firm.

Below is what each company offer him:

AtoB - $325k
Airbnb- $450k
Google- $480k
Roblox- $560k
Snap- $576k
Stripe- $690k
Quant Firm- $800k

OmO! cheesy

We would get there someday!
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Anonime1105(m): 5:05am On Jun 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Lol algorithms skills are needed for the interviews rather. Interview in big tech is centered solely around algorithms and systems design. No one cares about your stack or your field of software development. I don't know if you follow this girl adaora. She's very intelligent. She used to be a frontend developer but now she does cloud computing and embedded systems at Microsoft. With big companies it's all about the ability to learn fast and how smart you are not what you know or have done before. You should be able to pick up anything and run with it.

100% true, I follow adaora, being seeing her videos on DSA
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Hannania(m): 8:44am On Jun 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

He said he wanted example. Lol I even forgot adaora. She used to be a frontend dev in Lagos here for an agency and now is a cloud computing and embedded systems programmer at Microsoft. She works on Microsoft mesh writing low level code.
She got into Standford recently. Unilag and covenant grads are just taking the bull by the horn. DSA continues. By then, naysayers won't believe grin
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:48am On Jun 12, 2022
Hannania:
She got into Standford recently. Unilag and covenant grads are just taking the bull by the horn. DSA continues. By then, naysayers won't believe grin

Guy the unilag boys ain't playing. They sleep on leetcode from level 100. Some have done the whole 2000 + questions on leetcode by the time they are graduating.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Grandlord: 10:05am On Jun 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

That's the way see eh. I am on discord groups. This white and asian kids use Adderall to Study leetcode. Once you take Adderall you brain works ten times faster and you become seriously hyperfocused. The competition is so intense. It's all they spend their time doing. I am studying with an Indian guy who's still an undergraduate. He's in level 200 and has done 720 questions. He just got an internship at cisco.

My own is that after work I am so tired and I can't do more than 3 to 4 questions so my progress is very slow. By 1 am I start to feel sleepy even putting water in my legs and trying to study doesn't work for me. I just wish I could loss the ability to sleep temporarily and still function optimally.

It's super difficult to get Adderall in Nigeria.

If you find it anywhere please let me know. I need it for my ADHD.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Grandlord: 10:13am On Jun 12, 2022
Deicide:
Do they sell this drug in Nigeria? I hear most programmers use it a lot to gain competitive advantage in their place of work.

If you do find the med please mention me. I need it for my chronic ADHD.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Deicide: 11:13am On Jun 12, 2022
Grandlord:

If you do find the med please mention me. I need it for my chronic ADHD.
If you actually have ADHD I think a Doctor could prescribe it for you.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by idu1(m): 9:18pm On Jun 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Lol the Indian guy is just now learning html and css for his internship. He spent all his time learning algorithms and design patterns. Well it depends sha just get job you fit start with that html and css then when you get job you start dey learn those dsa cause dsa fit take you more than 2 years to get good. At least to be earning some money during that period. I don't know your situation. If your parents are very well to do and rucb then it's wiser to learn everything to get the high paying role but if you are from a poor family it's better to learn something that can give you a job at least and you can start learning the core things in that job. Imagine you dey learn dsa or design patterns and laptop spoil and You went through serious pain to even get the laptop lipsrsealed

From what you are saying now. if one has the resources and patience. Studying computer science with seriousness is the best way into tech?

Correct me if am wrong please.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:33pm On Jun 12, 2022
idu1:

From what you are saying now. if one has the resources and patience. Studying computer science with serious is the best way into tech?

Correct me if am wrong please.

Yeah if you had the opportunity to get a degree then yes computer science is the way to go but then there's a ton of computer science students who can't even solve the easiest algorithm questions. It still requires a lot of work computer science degree or not.

1 Like

Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jun 13, 2022
InfinityFabric:

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Frontend is more replaceable than anything else.
It's like you've never written any production for embedded system and dealt with archaic OS/Firmware.

Shakes head for you.
Give us an example of that transition.
1.800K/12 = 66K/month
2. How many people on Earth knows Erlang and/or Elixir ?

Payment basically depends on the company's product, but it's so clear UI/UX, frontend guys are too much in the market than say system programmers.

It's difficult to find a good frontend developer. Frontend is difficult and not easily replaceable. Embedded systems is undergoing a transition that will require a different skillset from their traditional low level language.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 13, 2022
Hannania:
No one is talking about their quantity, but the kind of company they work for. From your comment, it seems you don't know how much the base salaries of fresh graduates at FAANG make in tech roles. Their range starts from $250k total compensation(base, stock and bonus). This is irrespective of position.

And concerning what Tenza said about switching roles, it's 100% true. Just that it's not common for front end to move to back end. But they make it clear that you have to be ready to learn new technologies.

My Colleague who did an internship with Facebook recently, was asked to learn and build a source product module on Hack(Facebooks variation of PHP). The length of the internship was just three months, but he had 6 weeks to do that.

They will only do that because they know he has an IQ for that. That's how big tech operates

I guess you need to join Blind platform, to see compensation of engineers

Many companies actually pay more than FAANG. To me FAANG is just living in past glory. Many devs are no longer happy working there and they're leaving by the day. It's not so difficult to get in as before and interview process is almost a standard for many companies now.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jun 13, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

That's the way see eh. I am on discord groups. This white and asian kids use Adderall to Study leetcode. Once you take Adderall you brain works ten times faster and you become seriously hyperfocused. The competition is so intense. It's all they spend their time doing. I am studying with an Indian guy who's still an undergraduate. He's in level 200 and has done 720 questions. He just got an internship at cisco.

My own is that after work I am so tired and I can't do more than 3 to 4 questions so my progress is very slow. By 1 am I start to feel sleepy even putting water in my legs and trying to study doesn't work for me. I just wish I could loss the ability to sleep temporarily and still function optimally.

It's like all your cylinders are burning. Please take it easy oh so that you don't suffer from burnout. Your focus and determination is exceptional. At the rate you're going, you should be out before the next general elections. grin
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:39pm On Jun 13, 2022
Studymore123:

It's like all your cylinders are burning. Please take it easy oh so that you don't suffer from burnout. Your focus and determination is exceptional. At the rate you're going, you should be out before the next general elections. grin

Lol even if I am not out I Wanna be earning at least 4 times my present salary
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Hannania(m): 3:48pm On Jun 13, 2022
Studymore123:

Many companies actually pay more than FAANG. To me FAANG is just living in past glory. Many devs are no longer happy working there and they're leaving by the day. It's not so difficult to get in as before and interview process is almost a standard for many companies now.
It's easy to get into FAANG and leave, than otherwise. FAANG is not past Glory, because the stock of other firms is not consistent like in FAANG.

There are many other factors, like working on industry-leading projects.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by LikeAking: 4:02pm On Jun 13, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

You dont need to be amongst the top 5 percent to command such a salary. You can be a mediocre dev and get such high salaries. The skills to interview as a software engineer and the skills to actually be a good software engineer are two opposite ends of the spectrum. If you spend the time studying for interviews you will be able to get such salary but if you spend the time learning to be a good programmer you will be a good programmer but you will never make it into any of the companies paying such salaries. If you check that guys leetcode profile he might have solved every question there and probably just revises them whenever he has interviews.

Probably someone like alex wice https://leetcode.com/awice/. He has solved almost everything there and doesnt stay too long at any job. He earns more than a million dollars a year.

Guy u are smart. No be by learning he to code, na by been smart to pass their shitty interviews. S reason they now rely on projects.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jun 13, 2022
Hannania:
It's easy to get into FAANG and leave, than otherwise. FAANG is not past Glory, because the stock of other firms is not consistent like in FAANG.

There are many other factors, like working on industry-leading projects.

I was speaking with respect to the Job industry and working conditions.
Teams work on projects and individuals hardly have an impact. Imagine 3000 devs working on a single project. That's the reason why some leave and move to startups.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Hannania(m): 4:05pm On Jun 13, 2022
Studymore123:

I was speaking with respect to the Job industry and working conditions.
Teams work on projects and individuals hardly have an impact. Imagine 3000 devs working on a single project. That's the reason why some leave and move to startups.
You need to verify that. They use lean and agile processes, and teams are not more than 20. Remember, the code base is not small like that of startups.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by LikeAking: 4:07pm On Jun 13, 2022
Hannania:

Wia convanant kids one see internet do leetcode?

Make una calm down.

I can solve every code on JS DSA, Just give me Google. DSA na cruise.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by airsaylongcome: 4:14pm On Jun 13, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

You are lucky na. I close at 1am. Nothing on earth will allow me study when I close. I'm often dead tired by then.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jun 13, 2022
Hannania:
You need to verify that. They use lean and agile processes, and teams are not more than 20. Remember, the code base is not small like that of startups.

Agile simply involves breaking into several phases for a faster process. It allows for managing smaller teams. That doesn't mean several teams can't work on different aspects of a project.

How many Engineers do you think support Google Maps. The last figure I got few years ago was over 800.

Amazon has over 1000 devs supporting an internal product. The AWS infrastructure has over 4000 devs supporting it and growing daily.
I know of projects that involved over 5000 devs in development and fewer number support afterwards. It depends on the scope of the project. Of course agile methodology is used to manage such process.
Re: How A Netflix Engineer Landed A $800k Job by Hannania(m): 5:29pm On Jun 13, 2022
Studymore123:

Agile simply involves breaking into several phases for a faster process. It allows for managing smaller teams. That doesn't mean several teams can't work on different aspects of a project.

How many Engineers do you think support Google Maps. The last figure I got few years ago was over 800.

Amazon has over 1000 devs supporting an internal product. The AWS infrastructure has over 4000 devs supporting it and growing daily.
I know of projects that involved over 5000 devs in development and fewer number support afterwards. It depends on the scope of the project. Of course agile methodology is used to manage such a process.
I'm not disputing that, but when you check the scale of such projects versus startups, it's meant to be.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cost Of Building An App With More Features Than Uber / Data Science, AI & Machine Learning Tutorial Series / Help Needed On API Used To Generate Wema Bank Virtual Accounts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.