Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:54 AM

South Sudan Locks Out Somalis - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Sudan Locks Out Somalis (7783 Views)

Sudan president detained in South Africa pending court order / Chad President Pays $26 Million Dowry Sudan Chick (pics) / South Sudan Becomes 54th African State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by SeanT21(f): 7:54am On Jul 21, 2011
South Sudan has barred people of Somali origin from entering its territory by road, creating a potential diplomatic and trade crisis with its neighbours.

On Monday, traders of Somali origin asked Juba to relax new regulations that bar them from entering the newest African state.

The traders who have been camping at Nadapal border point, the gateway to South Sudan, termed the new rules as punitive as they subjected them to heavy losses.

A senior Kenya Revenue Authority official, who sought anonymity because he is not authorised to speak to the press, said that the rules were introduced two weeks ago due to what is believed to be security reasons.

“Customs officials from South Sudan have remained firm on the new rules, and it is the Foreign Affairs ministry that can intervene on the matter,” the official said.

Mr Ahmed Musa, a truck driver affected by the move, said the traders were resorting to hiring non-Somali drivers to cross into South Sudan.

Kenyan traders, including those of Somali origin, have flocked to South Sudan in search of new business opportunities.

“Most of South Sudan receives its essential commodities including cereals and vegetables from Lokichogio and the new rules will interfere with the anticipated boom in trade,” the KRA official added.

Kenya has established Immigration and customs offices at the Nadapal border point and built 51 housing units for KRA, public health and police departments.

“Plans are under way to construct more units, including a military barracks,” Mr Patrick Muriira, the Turkana West DC said by telephone.

The area had been deserted for long as it was occupied by Sudan People’s Liberation Army during the struggle to split from Khartoum.

It has also been a battle zone between members of the Turkana and Toposa communities due to plenty of pasture and water.

Mr Muriira, however, called on the two pastoral communities to discard cattle rustling and banditry and venture into legitimate business.

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/africa/Row+looms+as+Juba+locks+out+Somalis++/-/1066/1203762/-/p8q35v/-/index.html

Why are they doing this? undecided
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by manny4life(m): 1:02pm On Jul 21, 2011
WHY?

Good question but not a valid one.

South Sudan just declared independence about two weeks ago, the economy is still weak and fresh at it's stage, there's security issues, diplomatic issues haven't been worked out, labor concerns etc. You don't expect them to open their doors and welcome all. When all things are settled in, they will begin to relax certain rules, after all who says South Sudan will not engage in trade anymore? They will but for now they are threading on a cautious path due to the circumstance of their split.
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by paraphase(m): 1:09pm On Jul 21, 2011
x
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:34pm On Jul 21, 2011
Where is EzeUche and his Ndigbo Crew - there is a fast business opportunity brewing for used TV sets, used Tires and tootbrushes,  Naa Men, Odikwa Largesse  grin

They need the presence of good economic consultants especially ones experienced in several failed african economies to avoid going down the same path. definitely not freeloaders from Somalia
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by hackney(m): 1:48pm On Jul 21, 2011
Somalia is hell on earth.
Not even rain falls in the land.

there must have been a curse on that land from biblical days because nothing good comes from that land.

the indigienes infest western countries like rats and dont want to work, they have extremists and terrorists, and
their kids are roaming the streets of UK stabbing people.

WILL ANYTHING GOOD EVER COME OUT OF SOMALIA? ?
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by temiade(f): 1:50pm On Jul 21, 2011
Mehn, Sudan did well cos Somalis are a very difficult bunch to deal with, I have a Kenyan friend dat told me that
they have had refugee camps in Kenya for many years and those somalis just mess up the whole place.
they are very violent, always fighting and extremely extremely dirty. And in general just very difficult ppl to
understand or get along with
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by cold(m): 2:03pm On Jul 21, 2011
hackney:

there must have been a curse on that land from biblical days because nothing good comes from that land.

the indigienes infest western countries like rats and dont want to work, they have extremists and terrorists, and

I hate to discriminate but I have to concur with you.They're only obsessed with their looks,it's disgraceful
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by manny4life(m): 2:10pm On Jul 21, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

Where is EzeUche and his Ndigbo Crew - there is a fast business opportunity brewing for used TV sets, used Tires and tootbrushes,  Naa Men, Odikwa Largesse  grin

They need the presence of good economic consultants especially ones experienced in several failed african economies to avoid going down the same path. definitely not freeloaders from Somalia

Can you not turn this thread to any tribal issues and focus on the topic
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by tunnytox(m): 2:17pm On Jul 21, 2011
hackney:

They claimed they have the most beautiful women grin grin grin bunch of useless nicompoos
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by meine: 2:55pm On Jul 21, 2011
I Can feel the hand of Esau but i hear the voice of Jacob

America is behind this folks, its just a way of dealing with the Somalis and AL shabba
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by logic101: 3:07pm On Jul 21, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

What has Ezeuche and his Ndigbo crew got to do with this.Last time i checked a Succesful business contributes to the growth of the economy , creating jobs, paying taxes which is used to provide facilities for the residents of the country.You call refugees people from somalia free loaders?life has a funny way of resolving issues like this
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by logic101: 3:11pm On Jul 21, 2011
Some of the responses on this page is quite disheartning ans shocking.
!. Why dont you look up on the history of somalia
2.Why dont you question the operations of the African union
3 Dosent this tell you that we as a continent has failed to protect its citizens
4.What has the nigerian government done about it.
5.Have you ever asked yourselves , why somalia is in its current state.

Dont be quick to jump onto badnwagons rather research and find out why certain things are the way they are,
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by softtouch2(m): 3:17pm On Jul 21, 2011
South-Sudan is a predominantly Christian State. Northern Sudan has been recruiting these Somalis, arab-wanderers and other fanatics to kill, rape, plunder these region for years.

Personally, I see the move as a good one. Before you know it, Boko-Haramist and the likes will stated springing-up from nowhere.

Thank God, South-Sudanees are rarely fair in complextion and Somalis are rarely black grin grin, it just make it easier to identify any form of camouflage.

1 Like

Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jul 21, 2011
i guess they are fast learning the ropes, nip a problem in the bud
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by dayokanu(m): 3:39pm On Jul 21, 2011
Someone already found a way to blame America for this?

Lemme ask if that was your country which is just days old, would you throw your doors to a country like Somalia which is a terror haven and a failed state with very violent and economically unproducitve people?
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by kabukabu50(m): 4:39pm On Jul 21, 2011
meine:

I Can feel the hand of Esau but i hear the voice of Jacob

America is behind this folks, its just a way of dealing with the Somalis and AL shabba

Obviously you are not the sharpest tool in the woodshed grin.If you have a small poor country like south sudan,would you allow millions of refugees into your country to deplete ALL your resources?.F.OO.L

All the Arab kings and princes spending millions of $$$$$ on 200 cars at a time,building monuments to themselves have never given one kobo to their fellow African "muslim brothers".The USA feeds millions of refugees regardless of their religion or even hate for the US.Go hug transformer. grin
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by ektbear: 5:40pm On Jul 21, 2011
Hrm, I didn't know Somalis are despised like that
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by pendo89(f): 6:42pm On Jul 21, 2011
I don't blame sudan for taking that action
what everybody seems to miss out here is that most of these 'somali' investors have hands full of pirate money
What they do is enter a country and buy off a large building or land.They buy churches,schools, everything they can lay hands on and they are willing to pay twice the cost! They can occupy an entire estate and don't forget each has like 3 wives so you can imagine the population!
Once they done buying,they start renovating the entire building and bring over their people from somali land.
They come in droves take over businesses and set camp!
These people can turn your country into a smaller version of somali.Some places even bear their names because of their sheer numbers!
They are in camps but what happens is that their able relatives go first and acquire land and property within the city.Then they transfer them from the camps to multimillion buildings built by pirate money.
Sudan is very much aware of this ! let in one somali business man and he will buy half of sudan property with pirate money!
They buy off cops,pastors, administration everybody to get hold of property!
Then try getting them out! They start blowing everything up! and causing havoc
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by tunnytox(m): 6:50pm On Jul 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hrm, I didn't know Somalis are despised like that

Its not really about hatred its a natural human instinct to look after your own first, a large number of these somalis are parasites, they have no skills, breed like rabbits and milk the system and to make matters worst many of them are religious fanatics with tendencies to become terrorists.
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by kabukabu(m): 11:03pm On Jul 21, 2011
tunnytox:

Its not really about hatred its a natural human instinct to look after your own first, a large number of these somalis are parasites, they have no skills, breed like rabbits and milk the system and to make matters worst many of them are religious fanatics with tendencies to become terrorists.

Ol boy I owe you one carton of Stout for that comment. grin grin.Very well said.
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by umechuma: 11:38pm On Jul 21, 2011
tunnytox:

Well said,just like what Jos people are suffering today in the hands of Northerners in Nigeria.
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by lagcity(m): 11:47pm On Jul 21, 2011
this is very logical. south sudan just freed itself from the crazy islamist arabs up north. they shouldn't be in a hurry to be in bed with Al shabab boys from somalia. in fact, somalis have taken this jihad thing more seriously than the arabs. does kampala bombings ring a bell here?

1 Like

Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by ektbear: 2:06am On Jul 22, 2011
These Somalis sound like hausa-fulani to me, but much worse. lol.

1 Like

Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by eunisam: 6:18am On Jul 22, 2011
Somalia must be a very bad country!No body says anthing good about them.
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by pendo89(f): 7:38am On Jul 22, 2011
Problem is they are very hostile and violent. I dont know why they are always willing to fight at the slightest provocation.
God help somali.They are now facing the worst starvation and moving into Kenya in droves!
Another camp has been opened to accomodate them! undecided and theres fighting over whether they should be allowed into Kenya or restricted to their country because of the numbers. Its sad to see the women and kids starving and all that!!
But theres theres is a goverment called 'somaliland'
complete opposite of the one we know of.
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by pendo89(f): 7:50am On Jul 22, 2011
SOMALILAND (not the somali you read about)

President: Ahmed Mohamed Mohamoud.

It shares borders with Republic of Djibouti to the west, Federal Republic of Ethiopia to the south and Somalia to the east.
The Republic of Somaliland known as the Somaliland Protectorate under the British rule from 1884 until June, 26th 1960 when Somaliland got its independence from Britain. On July 1st 1960 it joined the former Italian Somalia to form the Somali Republic. The union did not work according to the aspirations of the people, and the strain led to a civil war from 1980s onwards and eventually to the collapse of the Somali Republic. After the collapse of the Somali Republic, the people of Somaliland held a congress in which it was decided to withdraw from the Union with Somalia and to reinstate Somaliland's sovereignty.

The country has a republican form of government. The legislative assembly is composed of two chambers - an elected elder's chamber, and a house of representatives. An elected President and an elected Vice-president head the government. The President nominates the cabinet which is approved by the legislature. There is an independent judiciary

The country has three political parties. The elections in 2003 and 2010 are symbols of Somaliland's political stability and maturity.
Somali is the official language. Arabic and English are the other official languages.Somaliland has a budding tourist industry and is home to what is often considered to be one of the most interesting attractions in the Horn of Africa which is the Laas Gaal cave paintings. Currently, a small number of tourists travel to the country to see this sight.Somaliland also also exports Hides, Skins, Myrrh and Frankincense in smaller scale.

Okay that's somaliland for you.Complete opposite of the other we know.
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by Rossikk(m): 8:21am On Jul 22, 2011
Somalians are human beings. And fellow Africans no less. Stop the idiotic references to them 'breeding like rabbits' and such insulting, ignorant nonsense. The vast majority of Somalians are law abiding, and certainly not 'violent' and 'dirty'. Just as the vast majority of Nigerians are not '419' scammers and drug dealers.
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by Nobody: 2:06am On Jul 23, 2011
What can I say, I just got a enlightened on Somali and the Somalis!!!

Time to see what Wikipedia has to say,

Whew,

There's a drought today though, and the Islamic Militants in the South still refuse to let foreign aid in, claiming the aid workers are western spies and aim at 'christianinzing' the populace,

Goodluck to South Sudan, Ezeugo, hit me up, I can open a boutique in South Sudan ooo. There's Oil Money,
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by member479760: 11:52am On Jul 23, 2011
South suddan are Igbo-Jews that left the Igbos communities in Nigeria for the promise land but couldn’t make it to the so called promise land.
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by pendo89(f): 2:14pm On Jul 23, 2011
The sudanese have warmed up to kenya investors because the kenyans hosted them when their country was in turmoil.
Kenya is one E.A Africa country that opens its doors to troubled neighbours.But some misbehave at times.Sudanese can be very good neighbours. No issues no funny groups.They are just tall and very dark grin
The somalis open madrassa classes all over the moment you allow them in.They buy homes and convert them to madrassa classes.
These classes end up producing extremists.That is why they are treated the way they are.
Be careful when you go to sudan.They are not stupid.They already know that everybody is flocking there now because of oil.
Those guys can turn on you in a way you wont believe if you dare provoke them.
I love Africa smiley
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jul 23, 2011
And UN just declared famine in Somalia.

This is suicide.
Re: South Sudan Locks Out Somalis by pendo89(f): 10:49pm On Jul 23, 2011
I have always known Somalia to be a very dry place.When did I last hear of rain there?
I know the NGOS like exaggerating things but yeah theres serious famine and the influx of refugees into kenya is worrying the authorities.
I feel for the kids and mothers in that nation.They have bombed down everything,they are hostile to outsiders,I mean its strange how they survive yet they do.
The country is still strong anyway.They care less

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Indians Lie Again! / Afghan Christians Weep As Taliban Takeover Their Properties / Slovakia: Pro-Russian Party, DSD Wins Parliamentary Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.