Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,359 members, 7,808,247 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal (11310 Views)

Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn / Sanusi's Removal: Atedo Peterside Rejects CBN's Invitation / Governor Wike & Dakuku Peterside Meet In Okrika (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by Zelenskyy(m): 7:34am On Jun 15, 2022
And the APC Government moved the scrapping of the fuel subsidy to another 12 - 18 months

because they know that if they try it this month, it will affect them in the general election as prices would skyrocket.

So they want to use mago mago win the General Elections and then knack Nigerians with fuel subsidy removal...

The same fuel subsidy they criticized Jonathan about. 7 years later, they are still involved in it.

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by Teejay13(m): 7:35am On Jun 15, 2022
Subsidy removal for how long!

This country is a big scam. Maka chi.

Why would this old fools be recycling the same issues for this long.

After the cost of fuel have just been increased resently.

May God save us from the shackles of our leaders and the country at large.

Nothing is really working out again.

2 Likes

Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by Fourwinds: 7:35am On Jun 15, 2022
subsidywise18:
It should go

1.It is chopping all the excess dollars we should be getting from the rise in oyel prices, on top of the debt we have to pay off due to 8 years of low oil prices from 2014.

2.It is stifling investment in the petroleum sector. If it costs over N300-400 to refine one liter of fuel, and one has to sell it at N165 per liter, why invest in a refinery.? The hardy few that are investing in refineries are taking a big risk.

3.We are essentially subsidising fuel not only for Nigeria, but for other African countries.If petrol costs N165 here, and N300 and above in all our neighbours, why won't people smuggle.?

Yeah, inflation. But the truth is, we don't have the money. Yes, politicans, but what we are spending on subsidisng petrol this year is more than what any pol can loot this year. And yes, Buhari, APC , PDP etc are bad leaders, and yes, I don't like them as much as you do.

Nigeria has spent 413 trillion naira on fuel subsides between 2006-19.That's money that could have been used for education, health, transport, etc etc. And the more the oil price rises, the more the cost of producing fuel rises, and thus the cost of subsidsing it.

P.S: Anyone interested in why subsidy should go, should read this...Fuel subsidies in Nigeria: they’re bad for the economy, but the lifeblood of politicians
An accountant in this government stole 80 billion naira.. No one is taking about it...do you know how many of such people in this government that would have stole an average of 50 billion naira...So tell me, without subsidy nothing will change.. Use your head not ANUS
Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by anonimi: 7:36am On Jun 15, 2022
Rastaramsey:
I think it's only for a matter of time..,

When they finish work at that their dangote refinery, them go commot subsidy....

One litre go cum be 400 lipsrsealed

Nigeria don finish..m

Please note that Bubu stopped paying subsidy since May 2015.
Is he not the current petroleum minister who called subsidy a fraud when Diezani was in charge of the ministry.
Bubu's integrity is so fake, walahi.

whatisthetruth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmG_dYY7YRA

“Who is subsidizing who?”

Now we are still paying subsidy under his watch.

exlinkleads:
Buhari Said Fuel Subsidy Is A Scam, Kachukwu Admits FG Pays $1.4 Trillion On Subsidy - Reno Omokri

The APC administration have vehemently denied the existence of fuel subsidy during their time as opposition party and even after they took over power from PDP in 2015. They even said it was a scam.

The APC-led administration stylishly introduced the subsidy again and kept denying its existence and also increased the fuel from N85 to N145. Well, the minister for state on petroleum has finally admitted straight up that the Nigerian government is spending not less than $1.4 trillion annually on fuel subsidy.

Former presidential aide, Reno Omokri have however mocked the federal government as well as Nigerians via his Twitter handle and inquired if Nigerians are fine with what is happening.

See tweet below...

Kachikwu has admitted that the Buhari administration is paying ₦1.4 trillion per annum for subsidy (which is even more than the Jonathan administration they complained about). Now I ask you, are you getting fuel to buy at affordable prices like you were during the Jonathan govt?

Buhari said subsidy was a scam and doubled the cost of fuel from the ₦87 that Jonathan left it to ₦145 today. Now they are paying the same ‘scam’ subsidy of ₦1.4 trillion yet you still cant get fuel regularly and when you do you actually pay more than the ₦145 official price.

More @ http://www.exlinklodge.com/2018/04/prof-yemi-osinbajo-admits-fg-spends-14.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by elsiusgr8t(m): 7:36am On Jun 15, 2022
Maxymilliano:
It's 10 years already when Goodluck Jonathan mustered the political will to declare fuel subsidy removal, but as expected, opposition-sponsored resistance was built against what would have been a watershed in liberalizing the downstream petroleum sector, now we are back to whence we began ten years ago

It was ill timed

Yet it was a courageous economic political move
Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by ufotunang: 7:37am On Jun 15, 2022
Incompetent federal government...if the refineries were working there would not been any need to pay for fuel subsidy... Buhari promised nigerians that he will fix the refineries but up till now no single refinery is working... removal of fuel subsidy will increase the price of fuel disel kerosene and prices if food stuffs..that is more hunger, poverty,hardship and suffering for nigerians.... is this the change you promised nigerians

3 Likes

Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by paskal16: 7:42am On Jun 15, 2022
In a sane country
Subsidy removal is advisable
But in a country like naija were we know the money for subsidy will be looted
Same country were someone looted 90billion
We’re simply not ready to move forward

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by Brushstrokes20: 7:42am On Jun 15, 2022
Pathetic bunch of self serving THIEVES AND SADISTIC SCUMS! Ogun kill all of Una undecided

CORRUPTION and not subsidy is Nigeria's bane!
There wouldn't be subsidy if the LIFELESS SCAMMER fulfilled his promise to revamp the refineries / buid new ones!
Buhari is Nigeria's WORST BLUNDER undecided

The dumb dude is mentally incapable of overseeing a local govt, how much more Nigeria.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by RepoMan007: 7:46am On Jun 15, 2022
Lies from hell. The subsidy isn't hurting any economy as the first paragraph says.
It is the same corruption inhibiting trickling down of good governance that's battering subsidy. Block.smuggling and watch daily consumption fall to 30m litre a day.

3 Likes

Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by Gadaluck(m): 7:47am On Jun 15, 2022
slickbak:
Let them continue the subsidy.

One person in this country stole 90 billion, with more stolen tens of billions discovered.

They’ll have more money to steal if subsidy goes.

Money no dey do them.

Soon N500 note will be worth N100

LOL @bolded, it's already worth old N50

Current N100 now is worth old N10
Current N50 now worth old N5
Current N10 now worth old N1 and N5 now worth nada! That's the 9ja that we live in....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by efficiencie(m): 7:52am On Jun 15, 2022
subsidywise18:
It should go

1.It is chopping all the excess dollars we should be getting from the rise in oyel prices, on top of the debt we have to pay off due to 8 years of low oil prices from 2014.

2.It is stifling investment in the petroleum sector. If it costs over N300-400 to refine one liter of fuel, and one has to sell it at N165 per liter, why invest in a refinery.? The hardy few that are investing in refineries are taking a big risk.

3.We are essentially subsidising fuel not only for Nigeria, but for other African countries.If petrol costs N165 here, and N300 and above in all our neighbours, why won't people smuggle.?

Yeah, inflation. But the truth is, we don't have the money. Yes, politicans, but what we are spending on subsidisng petrol this year is more than what any pol can loot this year. And yes, Buhari, APC , PDP etc are bad leaders, and yes, I don't like them as much as you do.

Nigeria has spent 413 trillion naira on fuel subsides between 2006-19.That's money that could have been used for education, health, transport, etc etc. And the more the oil price rises, the more the cost of producing fuel rises, and thus the cost of subsidsing it.

P.S: Anyone interested in why subsidy should go, should read this...Fuel subsidies in Nigeria: they’re bad for the economy, but the lifeblood of politicians

What changed between 1999 and now. How come the military regimes did not mention anything about subsidies. After we started this DEMOCRAZY nonsense we started hearing about fuel subsidy. Your idiotic politicians will never build enough refineries to make Nigeria energy self sufficient. How can we have abundant oil reserves yet we are importing petroleum products? Is that not madness? It's like importing drinking water when we have rivers and coastlines.

I have always said it, Nigeria is a machine sustained by the elite to further their interests and enslave all others. Only a national revolt will solve Nigeria's problems.

3 Likes

Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 8:00am On Jun 15, 2022
Make the thing go, make the suffering and smiling season increase, make those that likes to suffer continue as the money realized will still be stolen... Una never chee chumtin..
Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by BigYash: 8:01am On Jun 15, 2022
The loots dey recovered from abacha. The money ef thief thief recovered, the cars they steal from yahoo boys.. Loans from China and CBN... Wetin them use am for? Because they keep enjoying tax payers money,they are bent on pushing policies that will make the masses suffer more... Modafuckers! When Gej removed it then,protest was everywhere...

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by jimtemi1: 8:04am On Jun 15, 2022
gambia:
Buhari is the worst thing that happened to Nigeria after independence.
if not careful, something worst than buhari is coming 2023,the funniest part is that we go suffer am toghter

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by milliondollas(m): 8:04am On Jun 15, 2022
HAUSA AND BY EXTENSION MUSLIM ARE SON OF DARKNESS AND THEY HAVE NO LIGHT THEY ARE NOT INTELLIGENT
Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by Mrpojj(m): 8:08am On Jun 15, 2022
adenigga:
Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed, has called for the removal of fuel subsidy.

Source: https://dailypost.ng/Finance-minister-Zainab-Soludo-Peterside-advocate-fuel-subsidy-removal
How many times will they remove this thing na

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by tnerro1(m): 8:12am On Jun 15, 2022
Diesel is now 820 per liter due to no subsidy. What do you think will happen to fuel ? I don’t support subsidy but we should have functioning refineries before subsidy is removed.

So if you want to remove subsidy, no problem but fix all the refineries first so they work at maximum capacity.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by matori(m): 8:14am On Jun 15, 2022
Greatest advocates of our time.They can never advocate for the repair of our refineries to make them fully functional......they can never advocate investigation of how billions of naira earmarked for refinery maintenance over the years went down the drains but they can advocate more sufferings and hardship for the citizens.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by Whisk(m): 8:27am On Jun 15, 2022
Na now day don break for dem?
But are they really having we the masses at heart or for their own selfish interest only.
As they are all friends to Dangote, I hope it is not meant to favour him so that they can reap from there.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by ChoCho54(f): 8:30am On Jun 15, 2022
Mrpojj:

How many times will they remove this thing na
The only reason I was reading comments. I thought nobody would ask ooo.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by chloride6: 8:32am On Jun 15, 2022
Before elections?

Na die be that ooh grin
Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 8:36am On Jun 15, 2022
efficiencie:

What changed between 1999 and now. How come the military regimes did not mention anything about subsidies. After we started this DEMOCRAZY nonsense we started hearing about fuel subsidy. Your idiotic politicians will never build enough refineries to make Nigeria energy self sufficient. How can we have abundant oil reserves yet we are importing petroleum products? Is that not madness? It's like importing drinking water when we have rivers and coastlines.

I have always said it, Nigeria is a machine sustained by the elite to further their interests and enslave all others. Only a national revolt will solve Nigeria's problems.

Subsidy chatter actually started during the millitary regime. It was there from 1973, and the first chatter about removing it was in the 1980's and 1990's. In 1993, IBB was advised by the World Bank and company to remove fuel subsides.

Also we import for the simple reason that subsides means that you sell fuel at a price below what it costs to make it, and you get paid a subsidy that barely covers refining costs. That's a big part of the reason why our refineries collapsed....no profit, dependent on government subventions which in turn fuelled corruption and sabotage...since whether refinery worked or not, ye get paid. And more money comes in from repairing 'breakdowns'

We have been subsidising fuel since 1973. This is the end result.

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 8:37am On Jun 15, 2022
Fourwinds:
An accountant in this government stole 80 billion naira.. No one is taking about it...do you know how many of such people in this government that would have stole an average of 50 billion naira...So tell me, without subsidy nothing will change.. Use your head not ANUS

I wonder how you assume that supporting subsidy removal means I support the thieves in government.

That's flawed thinking and a big strawman. Thank you.

As for me, I don;t back APC precisely because they support their thieves, same way PDP did so. And it annoys me.

At the end, subsidy has to go. If government subsidised your business so that you had to help the poor by selling at prices lower than your cost price of production, or the cost price you bought your goods wholesale...and paid you a subsidy that does not cover your loss....you won't end up in production long enough

And yes, Nigerians are poor. I know. But we are doing ourselves more harm keeping subsides.

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by maj007(m): 8:43am On Jun 15, 2022
adenigga:
Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed, has called for the removal of fuel subsidy.

Source: https://dailypost.ng/Finance-minister-Zainab-Soludo-Peterside-advocate-fuel-subsidy-removal

Sometimes I wonder whether these people live in the same country with us.

They don't seem to understand jack about the daily lives of common Nigerians.

Imagine this statement: “We are investing it in consumption, which is very wasteful. How many Nigerians own vehicles and generators that are benefiting from this subsidy?”,

In a country where every household has practically turned to its own NEPA (even in Face me and Face You apartments); where every business owner (big or small) generates his own power and pass rising cost of same to selling price; where transportation is a key determinant of prices of most food items and others necessities. Na wah.

Cow that sold for 350k last December now goes for 750k because of diesel rising from N300+ to almost N800/ltr now.

Sure subsidy is being exploit as an avenue for massive corruption. But removing it now when Nigerian economy is in the worst ever shape for common man is like putting a sharp knife on the throat of everyone.

In Fela's voice: Wahala you dey find. Wahala you dey find ooo

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by Okoroawusa: 8:46am On Jun 15, 2022
Until we do away with fuel subsidy we will never grow as a country. We will continue to run around in circles.

It's going to be hard but that's the only way... Fuel subsidy is suffocating the economy.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 8:49am On Jun 15, 2022
Cantonese:

Please ask yourself whether it is subsidy that troubles the economy more or the massive looting going on everyday. They loot the economy, purchase the oil well and petroleum products, using the looted funds. The same people talk about subsidy removal after their stealing. Do you not see that they are getting richer by all methods?

This president promised to tackle corruption using every weapon available and everyone supported him. One day he said corruption was fighting back. The same president said that APC won Osun state by remote control. Today corruption has become worse under his watch.

“Subsidy is a scam” was one of their campaign points. If GEJ removed it, we would have been out of the woods by now. Today APC has changed the song.

The major challenge is corruption. Deal with corrupt politicians and the country will get better. Jerry Rawlings did it in Ghana and today Ghanaians enjoy their country.

Oga, the way you people assume I support corruption or deny its effect because I say remove subsidy.

Change that assumption, then we can talk

I do not support corruption or deny its effect. And I am annoyed that you think so.

Good morning. Read my point again. You are thinking you are defending the poor, and yes I get it...but subsidy is driving us into more and more problems, and even fuelling the corruption you speak of.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by Okoroawusa: 8:49am On Jun 15, 2022
tnerro1:
Diesel is now 820 per liter due to no subsidy. What do you think will happen to fuel ? I don’t support subsidy but we should have functioning refineries before subsidy is removed.

So if you want to remove subsidy, no problem but fix all the refineries first so they work at maximum capacity.
The refineries can't work without the removal of subsidy because subsidy was the reason they closed down in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal by Hushbingo: 8:51am On Jun 15, 2022
Hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Arrested Bomber May Not Be Chibok Schoolgirl - FG / Bandits Occupy 12 LGAs As Flood Displaces 4,000 In 7 Niger Communities / Festus Keyamo: No Local Airline Will Become Nigeria's National Carrier

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.