Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil (23472 Views)

Es 350 Gear Oil / My Nissan Wont Change Gear / How Does One Calculate Fuel Consumption Based On Distance Covered By A Vehicle?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by reel14: 2:14pm On Jun 15, 2022
Dear N/Landers,
i have been driving my Honda over a year now. I'm always tempted to change the gear oil even when the gear has never given me headache for once.

My former mechanic then told me to always change the oil every 3 months. This has got me confused and i dont know what to do
please your advice will go a long way, and i will appreciate if this can be pushed to front page.

7 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Dozieson(m): 4:05pm On Jun 15, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,
i have been driving my Honda over a year now. I'm always tempted to change the gear oil even when the gear has never given me headache for once.
My former mechanic then told me to always change the oil every 3 months. This has got me confused and i dont know what to do
please your advice will go a long way, and i will appreciate if this can be pushed to front page

cc;
Gazzuzz
lalasticlala
Mynd44

Hmmmm. Have you changed the gear oil before? If not, leave it. The mechanic wants to kill your gear. To get the original Honda DW1 is not so easy

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by franksam2009: 10:14pm On Jun 15, 2022
The day kazeem touches your gear oil, that's the day faults will start coming up and that would be the beginning of the end of the gear

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by yesloaded: 10:50am On Jun 16, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,
please your advice will go a long way, and i will appreciate if this can be pushed to front page

cc;
Gazzuzz
lalasticlala
Mynd44

Well, it's not a bad idea to change gear oil but any mechanic asking you to change gear oil after every 3months is a quack even you don't change engine oil every 3 months except you use cheap oil or you travel long distance every time

Some engine oil lasted for 1yr while some 6months but if you drive your car long distance often and covered some numbers of mile then you have to replace the engine oil within short period of time

Check the gear oil to see if it's not black, if it does kindly refer to your vehicle manual or check online to see specified gear oil for your vehicle

Heat oil ain't cheap, so don't let anyone tell use to use all these cheap ATF oil that can only serve power steering on your vehicle gear

I once changed my vehicle gear oil after about 2yrs that I bought the vehicle and so far no issue with my gear

Note: I changed the gear oil when I realized it's getting dark

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by bonnyhope: 7:01pm On Jun 17, 2022
yesloaded:

Well, it's not a bad idea to change gear oil but any mechanic asking you to change gear oil after every 3months is a quack even you don't change engine oil every 3 months except you use cheap oil or you travel long distance every time

Some engine oil lasted for 1yr while some 6months but if you drive your car long distance often and covered some numbers of mile then you have to replace the engine oil within short period of time

Check the gear oil to see if it's not black, if it does kindly refer to your vehicle manual or check online to see specified gear oil for your vehicle

Heat oil ain't cheap, so don't let anyone tell use to use all these cheap ATF oil that can only serve power steering on your vehicle gear

I once changed my vehicle gear oil after about 2yrs that I bought the vehicle and so far no issue with my gear

Note: I changed the gear oil when I realized it's getting dark

You are very correct

9 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Dtruthspeaker: 10:46am On Jun 18, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,

cc;
Gazzuzz
lalasticlala
Mynd44

Honda says something like 3 or 5years. Check your manual.

My Own is 8 years and I have not changed it and I have travelled wella.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by MrFinbarr(m): 4:53pm On Jun 19, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,

cc;
Gazzuzz
lalasticlala
Mynd44

The only thing that you need to change here ASAP is your mechanic. Gear oil is not engine oil that you change frequently. As long as your gear is working find and your gear oil is still bright red, don't do NOTHING.

I've owned my Camry for over 4 years and I've not tampered with my gear oil, color is still bright red and gear works absolutely fine, I'll only consider changing it when I notice a significant color change of the oil. Original gear oil is costly, if you get it cheap, you definitely bought the fake.

Like I said, change your mechanic ASAP.

57 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by dadabashua1(m): 6:16pm On Jun 19, 2022
MrFinbarr:

The only thing that you need to change here ASAP is your mechanic. Gear oil is not engine oil that you change frequently. As long as your gear is working find and your gear oil is still bright red, don't do NOTHING.

I've owned my Camry for over 4 years and I've not tampered with my gear oil, color is still bright red and gear works absolutely fine, I'll only consider changing it when I notice a significant color change of the oil. Original gear oil is costly, if you get it cheap, you definitely bought the fake.

Like I said, change your mechanic ASAP.
you Don talk am finish bros...make him change mechanic ASAP before day break...lol.

24 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by FalseProphet1(m): 12:14pm On Jun 20, 2022
Every day so that oil sellers too can eat and feed their families.

This I have seen.

9 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by illuminutty: 12:14pm On Jun 20, 2022
Gh
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Onyeigbo10000: 12:15pm On Jun 20, 2022
Every six months
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by modskiller(m): 12:15pm On Jun 20, 2022
Recommend for change after every 30,000 kilometers.

Make sure you use the original oil recommended by the manufacturer only.

If need be, please visit a dealership, they’re likely to have the genuine parts and oil.

Even the normal engine oil we usually buy now has so many fakes in the market.

The Mobil oil is so much imitated that people who makes the fake now buy the plastic containers from mechanics.

3 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by FemiLAWAL1O: 12:16pm On Jun 20, 2022
Here to read comments
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by psalmz(m): 12:16pm On Jun 20, 2022
dadabashua1:
you Don talk am finish bros...make him change mechanic ASAP before day break...lol.
i used my Nissan sunny for 3 years,didn’t change the oil,it affected the gear

1 Like

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Yankee101: 12:16pm On Jun 20, 2022
5k miles (convert to KM if you use same)
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by modskiller(m): 12:16pm On Jun 20, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Honda says something like 3 or 5years. Check your manual.

My Own is 8 years and I have not changed it and I have travelled wella.

You own a Honda?

Which model and year please?
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Ignatiusprince(m): 12:16pm On Jun 20, 2022
Hmmmm
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by MasterSima(m): 12:16pm On Jun 20, 2022
I think 325 times
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Christane: 12:16pm On Jun 20, 2022
l don't av a car yet .. so am here to learn.

2 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by LOVEGINO(m): 12:17pm On Jun 20, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,

please your advice will go a long way, and i will appreciate if this can be pushed to front page.
till e finish
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by nauto: 12:20pm On Jun 20, 2022
Remember what they said about Change

2 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by modskiller(m): 12:22pm On Jun 20, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,

What model of Honda and year do you own?

Some Honda’s don’t have a gear oil filter and this quickly spoils their gear
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Skillsnigeria: 12:22pm On Jun 20, 2022
Hmmm
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by hotwax: 12:23pm On Jun 20, 2022
I don;t have a car yet. But I have bought 2 tires...will soon buy the remaining tires. Before you know it, a full car don set be that

7 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by gevans(m): 12:24pm On Jun 20, 2022
franksam2009:
The day kazeem touches your gear oil, that's the day faults will start coming up and that would be the beginning of the end of the gear
That was how one mediocre killedy Corolla engine. I have to buy Tokunbo engine after spending 187k
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Gana101(m): 12:24pm On Jun 20, 2022
I seriously need your sincere advice during NYSC registration for batch B 2022 I saw 1991 instead of 1993 now they've shifted me to Exemption
What can I do
Front page abeg
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Trendingbiz042: 12:25pm On Jun 20, 2022
reel14:
Dear N/Landers,

The moment you start changing gear oil, ur gear is gone. Gear oil lubricants isn’t like engine oil. It’s addictives lasts for almost 4 years before changing.

3 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by enilowo(m): 12:26pm On Jun 20, 2022
Check your manual to understand when to change your gear oil. I have always used Honda cars and after buying i change my gear oil after firts two year and every year subsequently. Note i use strictly Honda Oil (You can always get this at Oyingbo) for gear and to service engine. Please do not use any other gear oil if it is not Honda it cannot be like Honda o. I have use Honda Ala, Honda Oddyssey, Hoday Pilot small one and currently using Honda Pilot the big one. Hence i can tell you what many will tell you. If the car has spent more than 2years xthat u bought it as Tokunbo please change gear oil.

If you wait til the gear give you sign you will end up buying another gear no two ways about it.

Dozieson:

Hmmmm. Have you changed the gear oil before? If not, leave it. The mechanic wants to kill your gear. To get the original Honda DW1 is not so easy

2 Likes

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by sarajen: 12:27pm On Jun 20, 2022
Interesting replies smiley

Check out my signature to learn how to break into the tech space and earn in dollars
Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by afamaustin(m): 12:27pm On Jun 20, 2022
I used my Camry for 5years l didn't change the gear oil,l bought my new endeavor SUV for three years now l HV not change the gear oil l just top it last 2months

1 Like

Re: How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil by Qwerty4u(m): 12:27pm On Jun 20, 2022
I have learnt something today tooo...
Am not a mechanic but a singer ...
See what l do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMJ6-0pFyvU
Just click and watch . Trust me you will be lifted... Do also like my page thank you

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Advice needed on 1.5m budget for a first car owner / How Much Did You Buy Fuel This Morning? / 11 Most Used Car Brands In Africa – Autojosh.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.