Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,047 members, 7,799,545 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC (24462 Views)

Ohanaeze Reacts To Attack On Igbo Traders Trying To Get PVC In Lagos / Yusuf Buhari's Wedding: Traffic Gridlock As Abuja Residents Complain (Video) / Ambode Weighs Options As Efforts To Secure Tinubu’s Support Fail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by Ademola47(m): 5:41pm On Jun 15, 2022
I’ve slept in INEC office for two nights— Jikwoyi Resident
‘We’re tired of being turned in circles’— Gwagwalada Residents
I’d rather suffer to get PVC than spend long years lamenting — Another Resident
It’ll no longer be business as usual—Others
APC Govt added to my sorrow—Jikwoyi Resident

2023: Unprecedented surge as Abuja residents re-double efforts to get PVC

As political activities ahead of the 2023 general elections become scabrous, there has been a massive awakening on the needfulness of Permanent Voters Card, PVC, in deciding whose head would wear the presidency crown.

This epic revival is not only indicating a new dawn but it is pointing to the massive sensitization by Nigerian celebrities, clergymen, philanthropists, CSOs, Media, politicians among others who have consistently urged Nigerians to go the extra mile in getting their PVCs.

Infact, some religious organizations went as far as to providing platforms where the congregants were sensitised on getting their PVCs, while others took it upon themselves in approaching the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, on the availability of Voter Enrolment Devices, IVED, to capture eligible applicants in the ongoing Continuous Voter Registration, CVR.

Prior to this time, Nigerians deemed it unnecessary and doltish to go through the stress of getting their PVCs because, according to findings, they felt their votes would be of inconsequential value to the elections.

Among those who have been massively drawn into this indepth consciousness, are the youths who in Lagos state defied the rain just to attend the Youth Vote Count Mega Concert 2.0, where PVC registration was made available, at the Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos State, on Saturday.

Also, not left out are the aged who used to be of the tradition of merely advising the younger generation to get their PVC without getting theirs, are seen taking the lead to INEC offices across Abuja.

VANGUARD correspondent who visited a number of INEC offices in Abuja, discovered that Nigerians were no longer taking it as usual business as scores of residents in AMAC Local Government, and Gwagwalada LGA, came out before 1:00am just to ensure that they get their PVCs.

There have been complaints by many people that they have gone to such registration centres repeatedly without getting registered. As the June 30 deadline draws near, they feel more afraid that they may end up not being registered.

VANGUARD confirmed the readiness of Nigerians to get their PVCs when our Correspondent went to INEC office, Karu Site, Abuja, as early as 5am only to discover that there were over 220 Nigerians on the line to get their PVCs.

VANGUARD gathered that while some Abuja residents sedulously stayed two nights in INEC offices, others, despite being disappointed in the past, kept on approaching INEC office, unrelentingly.

A mother of two in Karu AMAC LGA, Salisu Amina, 36, who spoke to our correspondent said that despite her situation, she could not stay aloof while other Nigerians are making efforts to better the state of the country.

“The situation of the country is terrible. Nigerians are suffering and we have been suffering since APC came into power. In fact, when they came in, a lot of things that were easy for Nigerians became very tough.

“As a mother, I feel this pain. Even putting food on the table for my children to eat is very difficult. Because of this terrible situation and the insecurity challenges that have become worse than before, I swore one morning that I will undergo whatever stress it will take me to get my PVC and vote out this government.

“I was here yesterday but I could not get it. Today, I have come this early and I am sure that I will wait to get my PVC”, she said.

A Jikwoyi resident, Chigozie Ebube, narrated that he came all the way from Jikwoyi to INEC office in Karu and had slept there for two nights.

He maintained that he is unwilling to give up as the country is in dire need of a new administration.

He said: “I came all the way from Jikwoyi to this place and I have been here for two nights now. From my actions, you should see that I am tired.

“I am the first child of my home and of course you understand the responsibility that comes with it. It is a very huge responsibility. Because of the responsibilities I discovered that life is worse in Nigeria. This government added to my sorrow.

“The cost of living has become unbearable. Insecurity is now a song we sing on a daily basis. I can not even properly take care of myself as all I get, I contribute them to the welfare of my family.

“The APC led administration has made my life meaningless and I am determined to vote them out. That is why I have slept in this place for two nights, hopefully I will be answered today.”

When asked why he slept for two nights, he said: “when I arrived here the first day, I discovered that there were many others that had been here and the list was long.

“So, for me to get a better chance I had to stay back to get a good number. Aside from that, I am just so determined to work against this Government using my PVC.”

Cynthia Igwe, a trader in Gwagwalada LGA, told our correspondent that Nigerians are tired of being turned in circles, stating that it is high time she acted.

She further stated that she has not been exercising her franchise rights for over a decade, noting that next year would be different.

She said: “Well, the Nigerian Government has turned us to people that have no direction. They have been taking us back and forth but this year, I can beat my chest on this, a new Nigeria will emerge.

“To be honest, I have not been exercising my voting rights for more than 10years now, but after going through 7 years with Buhari, I don’t think it will be wise for me to be a part of a government that I did not choose in 2023.”

On his part, Ebuka Jeremiah, a tailor whom our correspondent met in AMAC office in Karu, stated that: “it is better for me to undergo the stress of getting a PVC than spending another long year with a wicked administration.

“Infact, God knows how life has been since Buhari emerged as president of Nigeria. That man came with a negative atmosphere and Nigerians are really willing to take not just him but the APC administration out.”

*INEC’s stand on continuous voters registration*

On Friday, the Independent National Electoral Commission announced that based on the reports it received from some states about “unprecedented surge in the number of citizens that wish to register as voters and the challenges they face across the country.”

It, however, held a meeting and decided to deploy additional 209 machines to the five South-Eastern states, Lagos and Kano where the pressure is most acute.

INEC’s press statement added that “in some states, the sudden turnout of prospective registrants is overwhelming.”

The electoral body said that it would monitor the situation over the next few days and thereafter hold another meeting to review the progress of the registration exercise.

The press statement signed by Mr Festus Okoye, Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, gave an assurance to Nigerians thus:

“Every step will be taken and all options will be explored to ensure that eligible Nigerians are given the opportunity to register as voters. The Commission appeals for the patience and understanding of all citizens.

“Every Nigerian who is 18 years of age and above has the constitutional right to register and vote in any part of the country he/she resides in without let or hindrance.”
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/06/2023-unprecedented-surge-as-abuja-residents-re-double-efforts-to-get-pvc/

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by AlexBells(m): 5:43pm On Jun 15, 2022
Nigeria is resetting however while The zeal to vote is rising in the South, voter Apathy looms in the North, I think Nigeria is a pivotal system once the weight is becoming intense in one end, the other end lifts and balances is attained but I tell you what, we can all be Obidient and Move in tandem, that we may progress.

261 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by inoki247: 5:43pm On Jun 15, 2022
People and late hour registration even If INEC extends the registration for another 1 year people will still queue on the closing date....

Modified...

This not about voting people just like doing something at the dial minute we av seen it during BVN, NiN time...

25 Likes

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by solmusdesigns: 5:47pm On Jun 15, 2022
cool

Unserious people, since all these while continuous voter registration has been on they never bothered to register even when it is done easily online

Now with deadline they are rushing like headless chicken and Screaming marginalisation

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by Rastaramsey(m): 5:54pm On Jun 15, 2022
Niggars are become fierce grin grin

Peter obi or nothing....

We no dey vote agbado president grin grin grin grin

205 Likes 11 Shares

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by Joezinho: 5:54pm On Jun 15, 2022
Flattties are more interested in abusing tinubu and hailing saint Obi online without taking practical step to get involved on electoral process. They will be busy watching BBN while others are voting claiming they can not queue for hours.

Very soon their carnival on social media is gonna be over. That's when the real game begins.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by Rastaramsey(m): 5:57pm On Jun 15, 2022
solmusdesigns:
Unserious people, since all these while continuous voter registration has been on they never bothered to register even when it is done easily online

Now with deadline they are rushing like headless chicken and Screaming marginalisation

Alaye rest.....
No dey conclude like that....
Many people bin dey wey be say them don put them for pending before.....

No be everybody dey unserious....

Na Nigeria we dey...

Delay is normal....

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by Salvador1: 5:59pm On Jun 15, 2022
This is happening cos of Obi effect.
Don't be surprised South East states will be giving a particular candidate over 1.5m votes.

Buhari bad governance has awaken the youths especially Southerners.

140 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by HoneyBee23(f): 6:01pm On Jun 15, 2022
What's even wrong with Nigerians, why do we like rush hours everytime!

3 Likes

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by Naiira(m): 6:02pm On Jun 15, 2022
We shall be green again…

We taking back our mandate for a more credible servant;

OBI-DIENT!!!

59 Likes

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by Aaseema: 6:02pm On Jun 15, 2022
Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by DropsMic(m): 6:02pm On Jun 15, 2022
I'm glad Nigerians are beginning to realize themselves...

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jun 15, 2022
Problem is simple.

Nigerians put things off till the last minute.

I recall the BVN saga. We all were given a year. I went to my bank in June. It was just me and one person. We both registered, and got our BVN in a few days.

Once the deadline approached, and once the government said no extension, thats when banks got crowded to the brim. (I thank God for ATM and internet banking.).

Nigerians...always leaving things to the last minute.

3 Likes

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by Ballzproblemm: 6:02pm On Jun 15, 2022
INEC, have been shouting get your PVC ,get your PVC ,now the youths are ready ,they one start mago mago,to show you they were only shouting to fulfill all righteousness ,the rigging them go rig this election eh

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by yesloaded: 6:02pm On Jun 15, 2022
Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by JosephXavier: 6:02pm On Jun 15, 2022
It is called the Peter obi effect

He has given Nigerians a reason to believe that Nigeria will work again

Let us all go and get out PVCs and also request for transfer of we're no longer in our original polling boot

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by Opinedecandid(m): 6:02pm On Jun 15, 2022
Obidient

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by princepee: 6:02pm On Jun 15, 2022
Everyone is for Peter obi!
People have waken up, this election will surprise many.
The revolution is now!

18 Likes

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by Goldenkrezi: 6:03pm On Jun 15, 2022
Peter Obi is the next President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria!

93 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by SOFTSKILL: 6:03pm On Jun 15, 2022
AlexBells:
Nigeria is resetting however while The zeal to vote is rising in the South, voter Apathy looms in the North, I think Nigeria is a pivotal system once the weight is becoming intense in one end, the other end lifts and balances is attained but I tell you what, we can all be Obidient and Move in tandem, that we may progress.

But the Jagaban to the rescue, he did in Lagos and can still do if for Nigeria as a whole

334 Likes

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by FalseProphet1(m): 6:03pm On Jun 15, 2022
This is a clear indication that people are fed up of this current administration.

I see Peter Obi winning, I see Nigeria becoming great once again, I see Nigerians in diaspora coming back home to invest cos the country is now much better, I see American and European embassies in Nigeria empty, I see N1 becoming $1, I see electricity becoming constant, I see foreign investors creating jobs for out youths.

This I have seen.

66 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by sankky: 6:04pm On Jun 15, 2022
There is obviously protest registration going on all over the nation.
If APC and their kingmakers had done well, I dont think we will be seeing such stupendous protest registration for PVC.

The only way out for APC and PDP now is the usual style of blackmail and attempts at knocking together the heads of the 3 major tribes : APC seems to have already started this expired old style by writing epistles on how Igbos vote in lagos whereas yorubas don't vote in Igboland etc (whatever that means).
Ref to MannaBBGRILLS blackmailing posts.

The new generations of the 3 major tribes have woken up and are about to take their fates by their own hands.
Never again will this divide-and-rule campaign style work ! We have suffered enough in the hands of these same recycled politicians.

Aluta Continua !

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by iCauseTrouble: 6:04pm On Jun 15, 2022
sad
Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by thunder74(m): 6:05pm On Jun 15, 2022
Thanks to Buhari government. Ruling party should be worried because this surge is not going to be in their favor.

19 Likes

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by ecolime(m): 6:05pm On Jun 15, 2022
The inconvenience no be small matter oo cry

Everyone is doing their best to prevent APC and Tinubu from taking power next year.

We must see the Nigeria of our dreams �

17 Likes

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by NaijaMutant(f): 6:05pm On Jun 15, 2022
Never in the history of this nation have we seen such unprecedented passion to participate in an election.

Most elections have been marred by voter aparthy due lack of interest by the electorates.

Is there not a cause for this?

It could only be the Peter Obi effect cool

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jun 15, 2022
Peter obi movement

17 Likes

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by Felabrity: 6:05pm On Jun 15, 2022
Nigerians and doing things late

Where dem dey since?

Dem want give APC hpb

5 Likes

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by NaijaMutant(f): 6:05pm On Jun 15, 2022
JosephXavier:
It is called the Peter obi effect

He has given Nigerians a reason to believe that Nigeria will work again

Let us all go and get out PVCs and also request for transfer of we're no longer in our original polling boot

It's now a revolution.

We are all Obidiently waiting to show PDP & APC that enough is enough.

We are taking back our country from the ancestors

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by Akinsete19(m): 6:06pm On Jun 15, 2022
Lol, where are all these persons doing the online registration?

1 Like

Re: 2023: Unprecedented Surge As Abuja Residents Re-Double Efforts To Get PVC by sapientia(m): 6:06pm On Jun 15, 2022
Abuja is one of the hardest place to get PVC

I know what I passed through 2014

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Father And Founder Of Nollywood In Nigeria: Tribute To Hubert Ogunde. / Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital Yaba On The Brink - Petition To GMB / Chris Uba's Daughter, Nkem's Wedding Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.