Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,303 members, 7,780,707 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:09 PM

Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour (66140 Views)

FG Should Focus On Flag Carriers, Not National Airline, Says Allen Onyema / Buhari Confers National Honour On Akeredolu / Senate To Honour Ejiro Otarigho For Driving Burning Tanker Away (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by Hongbenga(m): 10:48am On Jun 19, 2022
I want new tanker, not national honour, says man who saved Delta community from fire disaster

Ejiro Otarigho, a driver who drove a burning fuel tanker away from a community in Delta state, says he needs a new vehicle.

Otarigho, had last week, drove his tanker which caught fire at a residential area to a river bank.

His action and bravery earned him commendations from Nigerians, including the senate which has resolved to honour him.

The upper legislative chamber had also asked President Muhammadu Buhari to to confer Otarigho with a “befitting national honour as he may deem fit for his extraordinary act of bravery, courage and skill that prevented the loss of human lives and property on a massive scale”.

Speaking in an interview with The Punch, Otarigho said the thought of hundreds of lives and property engulfing in flames as a result of the tanker fire gave him the spunk to drive the truck to a location where there will be no disaster.

The 46-year-old who started the risky job of tanker driving about 12 years ago, said though he had received a commendation from the Delta state government, he would prefer to have his tanker replaced rather than get a national honour.

“I have received calls from them (Delta state government) but I am not interested in any national honour of any sort right now,” he said.

“I know God has brought me to a good place where my story is now being told. All I want is a replacement for my burnt tanker so I can go back to my job.

“I have just been at home and truck driving was the only way I fed. It has not been easy for me since I lost my tanker.”

Asked if he would like to get a new job and abandon the dangerous business of tanker driving, he said, “of course, I will. It is a risky job”.

“Imagine if I had died that day, nothing would have been said of me. If the government has something better for me, I will do it without looking back. All I want is to be able to take care of myself and my family legitimately,” he said

https://www.thecable.ng/i-want-new-tanker-not-national-honour-says-man-who-saved-delta-community-from-fire-disaster/amp

254 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by BloomingDale(f): 10:50am On Jun 19, 2022
No one is obligated to buy you a new tanker, so go away with your sense of entitlement.

113 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by Nerogaming01(m): 10:53am On Jun 19, 2022
BloomingDale:
No one is obligated to buy you a new tanker, so go away with your sense of entitlement.

I dislike this comment.

1643 Likes 120 Shares

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by SarkinYarki: 10:53am On Jun 19, 2022
If you check now his own carelessness started the fire o..This man doesn't know national award will open doors

75 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by BloomingDale(f): 10:54am On Jun 19, 2022
Nerogaming01:

I dislike this comment.

Cos it’s the truth. He should have appealed not demanded. No one is obligated to buy him a new tanker.

127 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by Ebubu4: 10:55am On Jun 19, 2022
BloomingDale:

but we are obligated to buy houses and cars for those who are caged inside a house for 3months to eat, kiss and have sex on TV.

1549 Likes 81 Shares

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by Noblechykk(m): 10:56am On Jun 19, 2022
BloomingDale:
You are bitter and it is not good for you

687 Likes 45 Shares

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by Creamypie(m): 10:57am On Jun 19, 2022
grin grin I know say e go come to this, hence the viral nature of the act. Oniovo u go get new tanker/truck. Me vwewe.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by Bigredmachine: 10:57am On Jun 19, 2022
You mean say money no follow the national honour... I read it somewhere I can't even remember now, that he was given 10 meters... And by now I believe he would have gotten close to 50 meters...

Anyway this is Nigeria where u don't get remembered when you are alive...

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by garriAndsugar: 10:58am On Jun 19, 2022
BloomingDale:
Hard truth.. unless he wants to say he did it for getting returns

11 Likes

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by BloomingDale(f): 11:00am On Jun 19, 2022
stbarring:
Haba

He deserves more than a tanker sef

Imagine if it were to be your love and property that was saved as a result of his bravery, will you still be saying this

Noblechykk:

You are bitter and it is not good for you

He should have had insurance then. An obligation is the responsibility of a party to meet the terms of a contract or agreement. If an obligation is not met, the legal system often provides recourse for the injured party. It is not our obligation/duty to buy him a tanker.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by Artisticity1: 11:00am On Jun 19, 2022
Better

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by Nerogaming01(m): 11:01am On Jun 19, 2022
BloomingDale:

Cos it’s the truth. He should have appealed not demanded. No one is obligated to buy him a new tanker.

Oh, now I get what you mean. I like the comment now.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by Bigredmachine: 11:01am On Jun 19, 2022
Creamypie:
grin grin I know say e go come to this, hence the viral nature of the act. Oniovo u go get new tanker/truck

So u mean no monetary reward was given to him too ...

2 Likes

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by VaginaMiners: 11:02am On Jun 19, 2022
Sharp guy

459 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by Cantonese: 11:04am On Jun 19, 2022
BloomingDale:

Truthfully he saved lives and property. Truthfully he risked his life. But the question now is about the mechanical/physical condition of the truck before the explosion. The question now is about the safety measures, if any, before the explosion.

There must not be an entitlement spirit in it. It should only be a humble request. The honours will pour in and money will get to him too. Very soon he will also receive the OON title from the FG. I believe that even if he does not get a new truck, the financial compensation given to him, especially starting with the 2m given to him by Delta state government should enable him personally get a new truck.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by BigYash: 11:14am On Jun 19, 2022
garriAndsugar:

Hard truth.. unless he wants to say he did it for getting returns
Mumu talk. Will you risk your life like that to get just a truck? He tell you say the truck been get fault before,when make am put fire to get a new one? He is only saying his mind and any wise nigerian family man,knows what he is talking about. Sugar no dey this your Garri my nigga. Add sugar abeg..

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by sotall(m): 11:20am On Jun 19, 2022
cool

1 Like

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by Noblechykk(m): 11:29am On Jun 19, 2022
BloomingDale:

He should have had insurance then. An obligation is the responsibility of a party to meet the terms of a contract or agreement. If an obligation is not met, the legal system often provides recourse for the injured party. It is not our obligation/duty to buy him a tanker.
I got your point now and I apologize for my remark. However, Nigeria press are good in twisting words. Believe me, that man didn't put it as a demand. I just viewed a 30 minutes video this morning where one guy interviewed him and the wife. Judging by his answers, he is such a selfless man. His wife is even pregnant. They are just into the third month in their marriage. The man must have said that he preferred a new tanker to national honor and it was twisted to sound like he was making a demand

106 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by McStoic(m): 11:35am On Jun 19, 2022
BloomingDale:

Read and understand first na

6 Likes

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by AnambraPrince: 11:39am On Jun 19, 2022
I totally admire and respect his bravery and goodwill driving the burning tanker away from a populated area to save lives.

But this guy shouldn't push his luck further. In reality, the government should be probing him. Why did the tanker catch fire, was the tanker road worthy, did the fire come about as a result of his/their human error, negligence or carelessness, did he follow petroleum products transportation safety protocols, was the tanker sealed and without leakage etc?

He is just lucky nobody has arrested him yet for endangering the public. He should stop this act of exploitation that can backfire on his head. A tanker doesn't just catch fire. Something was wrong somewhere.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by ChangedMan1999(m): 12:32pm On Jun 19, 2022
You are right.

1 Like

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by Ezedon(m): 12:41pm On Jun 19, 2022
You are indeed OBIdiently a great man

2 Likes

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by haconjy(m): 12:42pm On Jun 19, 2022
All is well, many have done better and best than this and no one remembers them.

Well, it's your time, use it well brother

1 Like

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by CelebrityQueen(f): 12:43pm On Jun 19, 2022

we hope that your request is granted, all the best.

1 Like

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by Offpoint1: 12:43pm On Jun 19, 2022
grin

1 Like

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by Mastakija(m): 12:43pm On Jun 19, 2022
Give him him thing

Pencil portrait available
This is the price and d sample
D:12x16 =16k
E: 16X20 =20K
F: 20X24 = 27K
G: 24X30 =36K

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ejiro Otarigho: I Want New Tanker, Not National Honour by Goldenkrezi: 12:44pm On Jun 19, 2022
BloomingDale:

For someone that risked his Life to save other lives and properties he deserves it and more.
Just hold on to your bitterness

26 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Zack Orji's Wife, Ngozi, Is 'Obidient' (Photo) / Bola Tinubu Refuses Help As He Walks Away From Podium Dancing To Buga / If You No Wan Vote For APC Go Your House - Thug Threatens Voters In Lagos (vide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.