Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,487 members, 7,801,244 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:51 PM

Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? (39921 Views)

Promise Me You Will Come Back - Nigerian Lady Cries At The Airport / Two Men cling To A Moving Car In Order To Settle An Issue in Lagos (Pix, Video) / Hours After Relocating To Ireland, Engineer Vows Never To Come Back To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Mode4: 5:50pm On Jun 19, 2022
I have been thinking why the few peeps I know including some of my distant uncles who spent most of their years abroad came back to Nigeria to live when they became old. Is there something awkward about growing old overseas?

Even my sister in the US, has been telling me that once she gets old, she will come back to Nigeria to spend the remainder of her life. Folks abroad, what's really going on? Is there a harsh reality for the aged over there?

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by immortalcrown(m): 5:52pm On Jun 19, 2022
Because the suffering there is not good for old age. Those type of people are selfish people who always run to the most comfortable zones and abandon their relatives at home.

When they are young, diaspora is their favourite. When they get old and begin to pay the price of the enjoyment they had, they will remember "No place like home". If you think they are coming home just because they love home, why did they wait until old age? Are they running from enjoyment in diaspora?

Most of the things you enjoy as a youth will not give you happiness in your old age because they are not what your body and health require in old age. Those people hardly get what pleases old age in diaspora. That is why they run home to search for old-age happiness. There are many reasons.

Suffering is not only about the struggle to make money. Whatever threatens your health or saddens you means suffering.

227 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Fahdiga(m): 5:53pm On Jun 19, 2022
They want to be closer to their people before they kick the bucket. Oyibo land no dey easy

171 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Mode4: 5:53pm On Jun 19, 2022
immortalcrown:
Because the suffering there is not good for old age.

So aged people suffer in the diaspora?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Mode4: 5:54pm On Jun 19, 2022
Fahdiga:
They want to be closer to their people before they kick the bucket

Even those who have families over there still wanna relocate.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Apus: 5:59pm On Jun 19, 2022
You won't understand.

Abroad is good for hustle and enjoying basic amenities we lack here. Asides this, there is this feeling of emptiness or something missing each time you remember home.
When I was away I was even more current about latest happenings in Naija than those at home so as to feel connected.

629 Likes 53 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Conwarden: 6:04pm On Jun 19, 2022
Mode4:
I have been thinking why the few peeps I know including some of my distant uncles who spent most of their years abroad came back to Nigeria to live when they became old. Is there something awkward about growing old overseas?

Even my sister in the US, has been telling me that once she gets old, she will come back to Nigeria to spend the remainder of her life. Folks abroad, what's really going on? Is there a harsh reality for the aged over there?

because Naija na burial ground.

Scammers should all unexpectedly die young.

angry

Life sentence for all scammers . . . Including paternity fraudsters!

49 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Unzerious: 6:06pm On Jun 19, 2022
Err.....because Nigeria is a 'Retirement Home for Old People'. Take a look at our President and you'll be Perplexed grin

93 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Fahdiga(m): 6:42pm On Jun 19, 2022
Mode4:

Even those who have families over there still wanna relocate.
You will not understand until you grow old

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by BigDawsNet: 6:55pm On Jun 19, 2022
Weather : when you get old... the freezing cold get into your body and knee.... it's not fun... People who know they have a place with warm weather will park back and relocate immediately

Taxes: they are tired of paying taxes.. they wanna go back home and live like a king with less tax to worry about

Properties: You can't hav more than 3 house here... it's not above the law...but where u won take get $500k*3 to get a house... rather they channel it back home... just 150k$ will build standard high rated 2 duplex

Extended family not all family get the chance to move to abroad. Old folks return home to create new life with this people they left decades ago...

Political they wanna get more involved in politics.

So they return home to support, vote and some may be lucky to get appointments

301 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Mode4: 8:51pm On Jun 19, 2022
I will like to have more views on this topic.

@Seun
@Mynd44
@lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Aidejay(m): 9:22pm On Jun 19, 2022
It's called Return Migration or Elder migration. It's not a solo Nigerian thing.
It happens everywhere, take for instance, An older UK couple I knew, chose to go back to the UK than stay in the US.

74 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Originalsly: 10:04am On Jun 20, 2022
If you check ....the persons returning left when they were like 22 or older. They are rooted in Nigeria .... know a whole lot of people and can hang out with them ... have a social life....with little stress. Abroad... at 22 ... you will not make many friends... and those few friends may not live anywhere close to you. I see retired people everyday .... lonely... short of friends... same routine... wake up and get out... on warm days... get their folding chairs... sit at a certain spot... the meeting place.... and greet the passers by on their way to work. Retired people... limited friends... friends because they are retired and have nothing to do. If not healthy enough... they remain indoors... a home aide is provided to assist them... but they are basically isolated... solitary confinement... just existing. Returning home... same weather all year. One can always find old friends... unlimited because you knew sooo many people from school and the neighbourbood... never mind 75% of them have moved away and passed on ... there are still many around. You can relive experiences... reminisce....share experiences... catch up on what's been happening while you were gone ... enjoy good food.... no stress of bills and schedules....

Monday afternoon I have to put out the garbage after 4pm for Tuesday morning pick up.... Tuesday morning I have to get up before 8 a.m and double park the car to allow for street sweeping or face a fine .... then 9:30 I have to find parking or face fine for double parking.... Wednesday I have to pay the phone and internet bill or everything shut down.... Thursday I have to go grocery shopping or face the crowd Friday

....life on programme. Back in Nigeria... none of that stress... I sleep and wake when I wake. Even people not retired... the ones in their prime... returning... do you ever notice how excited they be (unless pestered by beggars)?... the stress off of them you can't tell.... but you can see how excited they are about food ... local food.... regardless of price... they will eat... and eat... and eat... missing in their lives. If one has left Nigeria after a certain age... he will never feel at home in a foreign land... he was there for the opportunities and the money... but after all has been achieved... and he is retired.... then two sayings make a whole lot of sense......

a house is not a home... and there is no place like home.

He will return for peace of mind and comfort in friends.

316 Likes 36 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by ThatsONYI: 12:27pm On Jun 20, 2022
shocked

Man, the comment above mine truly exposed me to reality.

45 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Juoflife1(f): 12:33pm On Jun 20, 2022
In Nigeria we care for people till they pass on. Over there, it's just you and the birds. Or they take them to care homes. Home is home.. family and community is bae.

60 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Dramadiddy(m): 1:11pm On Jun 20, 2022
Loneliness is expensive abroad

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by mizz2posh: 6:02pm On Jun 20, 2022
Maybe its those ones that didn't plan for their old age when they were young, they didn't buy a house or save etc, cos most that planned their life don't want to come back and stay in nigeria, maybe come home more often than before but not stay permanently.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Lanre4uonly(m): 6:02pm On Jun 20, 2022
No place like home.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by fajob: 6:02pm On Jun 20, 2022
Ok
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Itohanmiwa: 6:02pm On Jun 20, 2022
grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by GloriousGbola: 6:02pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:

Not sure where this fabu is coming from. Most of my relatives in Yankee are def going to die there.

16 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by iCauseTrouble: 6:02pm On Jun 20, 2022
No place like home
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by stano2(m): 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
I’m not sure i can wait until old age before coming down here

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by kenbee(f): 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
this is because "There is no place like home"

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by FalseProphet1(m): 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
They do it so that when they die it would be easier to move their corpse to their village for burial. Putting dead body inside a plane to fly back to Nigeria for burial is stressful and expensive, so relocating closer to your grave site so as not to budern those you left behind upon death is the best option.

This I have seen.

18 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Sterope(f): 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
People who had their formative years back home will want to come back. It is the bond. The promise of 24/7 electricity cannot touch that bond.

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by datola: 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
O

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by PaschalWooden(m): 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
Simply because Africa is seen as a burial ground...

...you can ask Putin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by michlins(m): 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
It's expensive to live abroad if you are no longer making the local currency that much.

It's best to relocate here where cost of living is relatively cheap albeit the little insecurity

34 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by blingxx(m): 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:

Nigeria is good for retirement tbh .. little or no govt taxes , just make your money abroad and come and invest in it here that's not bad idea undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by kurajordan(m): 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
Loneliness

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Edwin Ijeoma Who Renounced Nigerian Citizenship, Expelled From South Africa / Enugu First Flyover Was Badly Planned & Implemented (Video) / What Is The Cost Of Living In Abuja??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.