Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,521 members, 7,808,899 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:58 PM

Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing (21525 Views)

Five Killed As Boat Capsizes In River Niger (Graphic Photos) / Cruise Boat Capsizes In Calabar River, 11 Rescued, 3 Still Missing / Pastor Shedrack Bako, 4 Others Drown As Boat Capsizes In Taraba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by MrCover: 6:01pm On Jun 19, 2022
A Pregnant Woman, one female National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member, a 70-year -old chief, have been confirmed among the passengers who lost their lives in a boat mishap on Saturday between Otuan and Ayama communities of Southern Ijaw Local Government Areas of Bayelsa State.

Also among the victims is a mother with her two kids.

The 70-year-old, Chief Lucky Daniels, is from Otuan community and also a father to a journalist in the state.

The boat and the corpses of the victims are still missing at the time of this report with rescue and search efforts ongoing at Ayama Community.

DAILY POST gathered that the boat, with a capacity to carry 15 passengers, rammed into a barrier while trying to berth close to Ayama community. It was also gathered that the afternoon rain storm, which made all the passengers cover themselves with Tarpaulin and reduced visibility may have contributed to the disaster.

Domo Timi, a journalist, whose father was one of the victims of the accident, said on the telephone that “my father was involved and rescue teams have been dispatched to check the scene for possible rescue”.

He however expressed confidence in more survivors due to the fact that most passengers were putting on life jackets.

The elected Chairman of the Maritime Union in Otuan Community, Joseph Shedrack told DAILY POST, that the boat driver, Lucky Christopher, who survived the accident, has been detained by the Police Unit in Ayama over alleged reckless driving.
”I was chairman of the Union but some persons who claimed to know more than themselves have been taking charge of the Otuan Unit. If I had been around, i would not have allowed the loading of the boat due to poor visibility and bad weather”.

He said preliminary investigations showed that the weather was bad and rain storm started but “those claiming to be acting allowed such trip. I was told a Corps member, two children and a woman died. Even the Special Adviser on Security to the Governor has called me.”

The State Chairman of the Maritime Union, Ipigansi Ogoniba, however, told DAILY POST, that six persons have been confirmed missing and dead.

”Six persons died. When the boat got to Ayama, it had a mishap. One corpse was recovered and handed to the family for proper burial. While three adults and three children were still missing or probably dead,” he said.

On the identity of the corps member involved in the boat disaster, Comrade Ogoniba said the authorities of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) have been contacted through the Community Liaison Officer (CLO),” they are still searching for her corpse and we have reached out to the NYSC for her identity.”

The spokesman of the Bayelsa State Police Command, Asinim Buatswat, also confirmed the incident but said he is yet to be properly briefed on the number of casualties and what led to the accident.

When contacted, the State Public Relations Officer of the NYSC, Mathew Ngobua, said “We got the information and the State Coordinator and other staff left the Orientation and went to the place”

“The State Coordinator told me that the corps member’s name is said to be on the passenger manifest and the said corps member is not at the lodge”

“However, we will make a detailed report after the search and rescue or when the body is recovered.

The NYSC will make an official brief when the body is sighted and properly identified.”

Source: https://dailypost.ng/2022/06/19/pregnant-woman-nysc-member-five-others-missing-as-boat-capsizes-in-bayelsa/

Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by MrCover: 6:01pm On Jun 19, 2022
Cc: Lalasticlala Mynd44 And Seun

1 Like

Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by Cypress042(m): 6:03pm On Jun 19, 2022
When will Nigerians understand the word "safety" ? No sane man would enter a boat without a proper life jacket.

Can't believe people still drown in this 21century because of ignorance angry
Rest in peace to them sha.

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by endsarrrs(f): 6:06pm On Jun 19, 2022
Oh God! Its the bearer of "Badnews" again!!

Safety is always taking the back seat in this country

Rest in peace to the dead

8 Likes

Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by MrCover: 6:08pm On Jun 19, 2022
endsarrrs:
Oh God! Its the BadNews again!!

See More Bad News Via www.. Com

2 Likes

Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by Totilopussylick(m): 6:08pm On Jun 19, 2022
How are you able to receiving bad news everyday and your heart never break still baffles me shocked sad angry

May their souls rest in peace.

7 Likes

Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by Marketgists(f): 6:10pm On Jun 19, 2022
Na wah o

2 Likes

Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by MrCover: 6:14pm On Jun 19, 2022
Totilopussylick:
How are you able to receiving bad news everyday and your heart never break still baffles me shocked sad angry

May their souls rest in peace.

Na Where, MrCover Dey Work, Na There, Him Dey See Him Food Take Chop oooooo

5 Likes

Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by endsarrrs(f): 6:23pm On Jun 19, 2022
MrCover:

See More Bad News Via www.. Com
undecided

2 Likes

Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by Deborah98(f): 7:29pm On Jun 19, 2022
Disheartening... Rip to the dead.

1 Like

Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by MrCover: 7:54pm On Jun 19, 2022
Deborah98:
Disheartening... Rip to the dead.

Bad News Here And There ooooo
Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by Karlovych: 7:55pm On Jun 19, 2022
embarassed I'm certain adequate safety measures weren't taken before they embarked on their journey.

The weather wasn't conducive for such journey yet it still happened, human life is nothing to some people in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by Deborah98(f): 8:50pm On Jun 19, 2022
MrCover:

Bad News Here And There ooooo
Abeg ooooh undecided

1 Like

Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by MrCover: 8:53pm On Jun 19, 2022
Deborah98:
Abeg ooooh undecided

Do You Know MrCover
Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by Deborah98(f): 8:56pm On Jun 19, 2022
MrCover:

Do You Know MrCover
Yes. Reporter of bad news on nairaland sad

8 Likes

Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by MrCover: 9:28pm On Jun 19, 2022
Deborah98:
Yes. Reporter of bad news on nairaland sad

No Be Small Thing ooooo
Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by illuminutty: 11:46am On Jun 20, 2022
So sad. Peter Obi will reform NYSC.
Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by sotall(m): 11:46am On Jun 20, 2022
undecided
Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by shortIGBOman: 11:46am On Jun 20, 2022
Tragic.
Too many bad news these days.

3 Likes

Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by Carlylepneuma: 11:47am On Jun 20, 2022
I hope � they find them soon...
Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by MrCover: 11:47am On Jun 20, 2022
There Is No Single Day That Will Pass Without Mr Cover, Coming Across One Bad News Or The Other In This Blogging Business ooooo

May The Soul Of The People That Died, Rest In Perfect Peace 'Amen' MrCover Really Cares.

Incase If You Want To Convert Your Airtime Into Cash Or Any Type Of Promotion, Please Get In Touch With On WhatsApp
Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by Ultimas: 11:48am On Jun 20, 2022
What a pity. May the departed souls rest in peace.
Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by fasho01(m): 11:48am On Jun 20, 2022
Why always sad news everyday cry
Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by FemiLAWAL1O: 11:49am On Jun 20, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by chukwuibuipob: 11:49am On Jun 20, 2022
sad
Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by TimmyTen(m): 11:50am On Jun 20, 2022
Sad
Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by lathrowinger: 11:50am On Jun 20, 2022
Rest in peace
Re: Boat Capsizes In Bayelsa: Pregnant Woman, NYSC Member, Five Others Missing by Gana101(m): 11:50am On Jun 20, 2022
I seriously need your sincere advice during NYSC registration for batch B 2022 I saw 19991 instead of 1993 now they've shifted me to Exemption
What can I do

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

US Embassy To Reopen Abuja Office On Friday August 24 After 'White Powder Scare' / Here Are Things To Do When You Miss Your Flight / Please whats the price of Malaysia student Visa Application, and docs needed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.