Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,292 members, 7,807,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers (30734 Views)

Nigerian Ashley Adirika Accepted Into All 8 Ivy League Schools In US / Victory Yinka-Banjo Gets 19 Scholarship Offers Worth $5m From US And Canada / David Odekunle Accepted Into 7 Ivy League Colleges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by Odua1stson: 7:37am On Jun 20, 2022
Nigerian American Student Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools Including Harvard, Yale, Receives $2M In Scholarship Offers

A Nigerian American student, Rotimi Kukoyi, has been accepted into 15 universities including Harvard University, Yale University, and Stanford University. He was also awarded over $2 million in scholarships for the scheme.

In 2018, Rotimi Kukoyi — a high school freshman at the time — was one of the gifted students selected to appear on the “Jeopardy!” Teen Tournament.

Harvard, Yale, Stanford and Johns Hopkins were among the top universities he had to choose from, but he eventually selected the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to pursue a career in public health. He was awarded UNC's prestigious Morehead-Cain Scholarship, the oldest merit scholarship program in the country.

Kukoyi became a standout academic and was the first Black National Merit Scholar at his high school in Hoover, Alabama. He told ABC News that he became inspired to take his academic achievement to the next level during his time appearing on the "Jeopardy!" Teen Tournament back in 2018 when he was a freshman.

"It was (a) really fun experience but also put me in contact with some pretty cool students from across the country," Kukoyi said on "Good Morning America." "A lot of them are older and they're like seniors or juniors that applied to many prestigious schools (and) a lot of them are attending prestigious universities now. So that was kind of my original inspiration to apply to those universities."
COVID-19 is what inspired Kukoyi to study public health and he said he wants to evoke change on both small-scale and large-scale levels.

"COVID really sparked (my interest in public health) because that was the first time that I really saw how clear the health inequities were," Kukoyi told ABC news. "African Americans had a much higher chance of dying from COVID than white Americans ... it was almost like two separate pandemics were impacting our nation, and we saw (some people) marginalized and impacted way more.
"I want my legacy to be one that's focused on impacting other people. I suppose a lot of people in the pursuit of their own goals can kind of forget what it's all about."

http://saharareporters.com/2022/06/19/nigerian-american-student-gets-accepted-15-schools-including-harvard-yale-receives-2m

67 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by saintjimos(m): 7:39am On Jun 20, 2022
That's were education is valued ,in my country Nigeria, students are asked to forget school and become political elements

149 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by derecho(m): 7:42am On Jun 20, 2022
Which one be Nigerian American?
He is a Nigerian born in or living in America.
Anyways, Success has many fathers

62 Likes

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by Nobody: 11:51am On Jun 20, 2022
Brilliant chap. He would never think about voting APC or PDP because he's not dumb.

92 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by Gana101(m): 11:52am On Jun 20, 2022
I seriously need your sincere advice during NYSC registration for batch B 2022 I saw 1991 instead of 1993 now they've shifted me to Exemption
What can I do

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by Nobody: 11:52am On Jun 20, 2022
saintjimos:
That's were education is valued ,in my country Nigeria, students are asked to forget school and become political elements

Okay, let's pay the same kind of fees they pay there then, and spend the same kind of money they spend there then.

18 Likes

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by Evaromantik(m): 11:52am On Jun 20, 2022
This one don become American Property.... If na drug or fraud now, Dem go even tell you im clan, LGA and State in Nigeria.

We're losing people and we need a better President.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by Jayzeeno: 11:52am On Jun 20, 2022
Omoluabi to the world...

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by Ppogbae: 11:52am On Jun 20, 2022
All of Oduduwa's children shall prosper.

Amen.

84 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by DontBullshitMe: 11:52am On Jun 20, 2022
He's an American. Period.

Someone who does not know the number of states in Nigeria.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by fasho01(m): 11:52am On Jun 20, 2022
Good for him. Wish him well

2 Likes

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by DropsMic(m): 11:52am On Jun 20, 2022
American student abeg. Comot that Nigerian from him name

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by Nobody: 11:52am On Jun 20, 2022
derecho:
Which one be Nigerian American?
He is a Nigerian born in or living in America.
Anyways, Success has many fathers

He is an American though.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by Basiljoe: 11:52am On Jun 20, 2022
Good for him. Stay far away from the shithole. Atleast till someone sane like Peter Obi becomes president.

Semi finished Bungalow For Sale, Sangotedo, Ajah.
https://www.nairaland.com/7130860/semi-finished-bungalow-sale-sangotedo

2 Likes

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by iiifedimma(f): 11:52am On Jun 20, 2022
Please support our honourable Peter obi for the president's of federal Republic of Nigeria, we are tired of those thief's now,

Without tribalism and nepotism any sane Nigerian's know it's someone like Peter obi that can now rescue Nigeria from totalling sinking, but seriously some ethnics bigot's people will just still prefer to hav their own man at the affairs of the country either he is capable or not than to go for what could have been the best solution to all nigerian's current problems, Peter obi2023 is certain

5 Likes

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by Golan007: 11:52am On Jun 20, 2022
His dad was also a genius.

8 Likes

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by themes009(m): 11:53am On Jun 20, 2022
shocked

1 Like

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by Nobody: 11:53am On Jun 20, 2022
Ppogbae:
All of Oduduwa's children shall prosper.

Amen.

He is an American.

His doing well does not mean that your tribe or other tribes are suddenly brilliant people. It means he is intelligent.

You won't benefit from his intelligence.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by marsman: 11:53am On Jun 20, 2022
Yoruba L'gba.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by FemiLAWAL1O: 11:53am On Jun 20, 2022
Wow

2 Likes

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by atobs4real(m): 11:53am On Jun 20, 2022
CONGRATULATION BOY.
MORE SUCESS

1 Like

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by Elsueno: 11:53am On Jun 20, 2022
undecided

Please let's stop this shyt, d kid is an American, he born in America, grew up their & probably never has being to Africa talkless of Nigeria...And u Nigerians they rush dey dash him Nigerian...when his parents japa from d country waaaaay b4 he was even born...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by atobs4real(m): 11:54am On Jun 20, 2022
THAT'S A COUNTRY WERE THINGS WORK

2 Likes

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by sarajen: 11:54am On Jun 20, 2022
Good for him! just Wow!

We'll take you from zero to hero in programming within 3 months.
check signature for more details

2 Likes

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by Strongbest(m): 11:54am On Jun 20, 2022
saintjimos:

Use the right word bro, and become hoodlums. Lol.

2 Likes

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by Highways: 11:54am On Jun 20, 2022
Okay good... It can only be SW or SE....

2 Likes

Re: Rotimi Kukoyi Gets Accepted Into 15 Schools, Receives $2m In Scholarship Offers by Golan007: 11:55am On Jun 20, 2022
subsidywise18:

He is an American.

His doing well does not mean that your tribe or other tribes are suddenly brilliant people. It means he is intelligent.

You won't benefit from his intelligence.

His dad is as Nigerian as it gets though.

Father was also a genius here in Nigeria.

Represented King's college at Pronto Brain Match many years ago.

24 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WiNNER: UNIBEN / FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary / UNIZIK SUG President, Others Beat Up Security Man For Locking School Gate(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.