Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,371 members, 7,781,044 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:57 AM

Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates (16669 Views)

Meet Nigeria’s Female Governorship Running Mates (Pics) / Tinubu Rejects Lawan, Yahaya Bello As Running Mates / Aisha Buhari Still Missing From Nigerian Public, Five Months After (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by dre11(m): 7:41am On Jun 20, 2022
* Ex-Lagos governor may be delayed by polling result

*Group urges APC candidate to consider technocrat

Although it is the constitutional prerogative of the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu, to choose his running mate for the 2023 presidential poll, a final decision has yet to be taken. Tinubu has not presented a list of his preferred persons to President Muhammadu Buhari for deliberation and ratification, a competent party source said.

But Tinubu, THISDAY also learnt, might have delayed his decision, because he might have commissioned a poll on his best bet, result of which he was still awaiting.

Relatedly, a group, the APC Integrity Group, urged Buhari, Tinubu, and the party leadership to consider a technocrat as the vice presidential candidate of the party for next year’s election.

Reliable THISDAY sources in the ruling party, explained that much as it was Tinubu’s right to choose who to work with, it was also traditional that he ran his preference through the party, more so a ruling party, whose president must equally buy into the choice.

The source further revealed Tinubu, being anxious to win the president’s support, which had not been forthcoming, was hoping to use the running mate issue to force the president’s hand.

“As you also know, the president has not really been supportive of Tinubu’s ambition,” the source said. He added, “By allowing him pick his running, he is hoping to force the president’s hand to fully back his presidential quest.”

According to the source, while Buhari has maintained dignifying neutrality in the matter, he has also shared his concern with the Tinubu on the dangers of a Muslim-Muslim ticket, saying the current political situation in the country does not support the idea.

The source said, “It’s not true the president has stayed away from the matter of the party’s running mate. It was a different thing in 2015, when there was no president or ruling party. Now, all that the president is doing is waiting for him (Tinubu) to present his short list of candidates.”

This conversation, among others, was the reason Tinubu requested to further consultation on the best winning strategy, while at the same time factoring in the country’s cultural and religious diversities.

It was also the reason, the source added, that Tinubu advanced the idea of using a ‘place holder’ to beat the June 17 deadline set by INEC, while widening the consultation for the most ideal and suitable partner in the circumstances.

The source explained that, ordinarily, Tinubu, would rather have a Muslim-Muslim ticket since it was what many considered a winning strategy, given the population of the Muslim northerners, the north west and north east, especially, in the political calculus of the nation.

In consulting on the choice of vice presidential candidate, a source close to Tinubu said the long delay might not be unconnected to the fact that Tinubu could have commissioned a poll to give a more clinical and scientific approach to selecting a running mate.

Accordimg to the source, “If I know Tinubu very well and this is not saying he had discussed this with me, he had commissioned a poll on this matter and awaiting the result. The Tinubu that I know does not take a major political decision or risk without first weighing his options and he does this by conducting a poll that will guide him and set a clear path to follow.

“However, it does not mean he could not ignore the poll in some instances, but he would like to throw his cards open and on the table first, from which he would decide which way to go. So, the delay you are seeing is most probably, because the poll result is not out yet and he wants to be guided near-accurately by it.”

The source further stated, “No one knows yet when he would give the name of a substantive running mate or submit those shortlisted to the president. If it is true he is waiting on a poll, we don’t know when the result would be ready. But all we can say is that, soon, this phase will be over for the campaign to take centre stage.”

Another THISDAY source dismissed speculations that a recent meeting of the president and some governors of the party was to discuss the issue of running mate with them.

The source explained that the meeting between the president and the governors had nothing to do with matters of running mate but a mere appreciation visit.

The source said, “I can assure you there was no such thing. Nothing about the running mate or vice presidential candidate was on the agenda or discussed at all. The Progressive Governors’ Forum (PGF) only came to thank the president for his leadership and neutrality during the convention. Trust me, and the meeting lasted just 15 minutes.”

Coordinator of the APC Integrity Group, Mallam Dawu Mohammed, and Secretary, Mr. Chinsom Nwakanma, in a statement yesterday, said the 2023 elections would be keenly contested, stressing that the APC would do itself good in presenting candidates that would appeal to the people.

It noted that the 2023 elections would be totally different from 2015 and 2019 elections in which the issue of how to revamp the economy would be on the front burner.

The source said, “The APC presidential candidate and running mate must be equipped with the knowledge of global economy to be able to catch the fancy of the Nigerian electorate, especially, the youth.

“When one listens to the Labour Party candidate, Peter Obi, he has a message that appeals to the youths and other Nigerians. To square up with such a candidate, the APC must consider a running mate, whose focus of governance must be that which would be desired by Nigerians.”

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2022/06/20/buhari-still-waiting-for-tinubus-shortlist-of-running-mates/

Lalasticlala

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by saintjimos(m): 7:44am On Jun 20, 2022
Confuse people

19 Likes

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by babyfaceafrica: 7:45am On Jun 20, 2022
All we desire are competent hands

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:46am On Jun 20, 2022
Tinubu has not presented a list of his preferred persons to President Muhammadu Buhari for deliberation and ratification, a competent party source said.
Our Darling Daddy is respected by all and Sundry.
Both elderly and Young.
Only chidlren of hate, frustrations and perdition that wake up their parents with kung-fu kicks that say rubbish and nonsense about him.

JAGABAN, Our Darling Daddy and all sane, honest and hardworking Nigerians are waiting for you.
Just make the right choice,
A better Nigeria is all we want.
Nigeria will be great again in our lifetime.

From all of us @ : Have a Great week ahead y'all.
Sisi Yewande of dem MANNA say so kiss kiss kiss

Twas a beautiful weekend mehn!
We thank God for life kiss

*singin*
Parti 2 lati ma pawon.
Open and close like a Laptop o

14 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by Fira09(m): 7:46am On Jun 20, 2022
All these political lunatics are just confused! undecided

Let's vote PETER OBI and wipe all these lunatics out.

41 Likes

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by smartval(m): 7:46am On Jun 20, 2022
Confused ancestors, it's time for the youths to take back this country.

Get your PVC

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by Enoch07: 7:46am On Jun 20, 2022
Make him just wait till after the election abeg, e get wetin I wan check
Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by Nonybb: 7:46am On Jun 20, 2022
Buhari the evil man. I can't wait for this man to disappear in our news tabloid. An evil genius that singlehandedly destroyed Nigeria through favouritism, nepotism and fulanization

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by VirginSearcher(m): 7:46am On Jun 20, 2022
Buhari mad man
Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by gambia(m): 7:46am On Jun 20, 2022
Evil and confused set of people.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by ecomalchemist(m): 7:46am On Jun 20, 2022
We need who will fix this country. Running mate is not Nigerian problem...

I'd be giving out the Gadget importation Guide from USA for free.

This report is for those looking for a side hustle or financial freedom // someone who wants to start laptops and mobile phones importation business but do not know how to go about it.

Do well to reach me via the number on my sig

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by Nobody: 7:47am On Jun 20, 2022
TINUBU IS A STRATEGIC PLANNER

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF PLACE HOLDER BEFORE NOW

HE'S NOT SCARED OF PICKING HIS BEST VP FOR HIMSELF BUT ALAYE STILL NEED BUHARI TOUCH TO WIN ELECTION INEC

If you know you know

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by Blackazuma99(m): 7:47am On Jun 20, 2022
I don't think tinubu want to give the position to a Christian and it will jeopardise he chances of winning the North, they ( the north) should have supported Osinbajo or Ameachi instead.....

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by IntelChief: 7:47am On Jun 20, 2022
I thought Tinubu once said he has the qualities of the person written down on his jotter or something like that? undecided

Why is it taking my guy eternity to come up with a shortlist for Christ's sake?
Dude supposed don figure out this thing since na.

Make e no be say Tinubu na version 2.0 of Buhari o...
I remember Buhari exhibiting similar signs when choosing his ministers back then.

9 Likes

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by NaughtyBrainiac: 7:47am On Jun 20, 2022
The Jagaban of Africa is still consulting. That's one of the reasons for his enviable Political success. Some of you think it's only about money. This man is the greatest Poitician Nigeria has ever produced. Underrate him at your own peril!

Love him or hate him, he is a Master Political Strategist. His Political Smartness, Tenacity and Insight is second to none.

I am not saying I want to be like another human buy I don't mind having this Man's kind of wisdom and strategy.

I look forward to Asiwaju welcoming Nigeria and Nigerians to a new dispensation on 29th May, 2023.

God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by Ddeliverer007(m): 7:47am On Jun 20, 2022
Somebody won the party primaries yet, everybody for the party dey vex.. lol.

I never see this kind thing before.

Abeg make Buhari just support Obi, it might be his only achievement.
Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by havenz(m): 7:47am On Jun 20, 2022
As we keep waiting for running mates let the youths get their voter's card ready because this coming election will not be business as past.
Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by richiemcgold: 7:47am On Jun 20, 2022
getting a running mate shouldn't have been so difficult like that

1 Like

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by QueenOfTheCoast(f): 7:47am On Jun 20, 2022
post=113973359:
Dear Nigerians as we're about to make another life decision that will make or mar us in the next 8 years or more, let's remember to make the right one.
after 8 years of misrule, I think we deserve a break from bad governance, deceitful politicians that thinks they can buy their way to power and hold us ransom for the next 8 years.
like I always say, suffering knows no tribe or religion but these politicians have made tribalism and religious sentiments take away our sense of reasoning.
no politician is a real Christian or Muslim because they're thieves and criminals which both religion condemns.
but they use this act to hold us to ransom every election making us to make bad decisions based on tribalism and religion sentiments each election period.
for example, Buhari is a Northerner but his misrule has affected all region he rules and I think the north are even the biggest victims of his misrules and incompetency.
Another election is here and they have rolled out their usual tribalism card to enslave us yet again.
but this time around we must resist them.
we're majority and I believe we can resist their few paid miscreants.
most of these urchins are based abroad where things works but they keep forcing incompetence on us just for their selfish interests or ego.
while I understand our diversity and need for power rotation, I also believe that there are gems in every tribe and it's the tribe's duty to produce that gem because we all will suffer the consequences if things goes south.
Nigeria is not a harlot that corrupt politicians can take TURNS in banging especially from the notorious desperate corrupt one screaming " MY TURN " like he can't wait to have his way.
it's our job to resist them.
we have to get this right.
the ruling party Apc has failed us
we cannot re-enforce failure.
let's shun tribalism and do the right thing.
God bless us all.
thank you before you edit it back

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by IMASTEX: 7:48am On Jun 20, 2022
Go rest
Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by Crixxx: 7:48am On Jun 20, 2022
House boy no wan pic shoe. He is waiting for his boss in a structureless party according to them to first pick.
Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by patriotic007: 7:48am On Jun 20, 2022
Obi for president
Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by bayelsaowei(m): 7:48am On Jun 20, 2022
grin
Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by Iblak: 7:48am On Jun 20, 2022
Peter Obi for president

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by Fuckyoumod: 7:48am On Jun 20, 2022
The mumu President is playing neutrality because he never wanted Tinubu in the first place. Tinubu held and twisted Buhari's balls, but Buhari still has neutrality as a weapon against Tinubu.

Buhari must be neutral to the end in the forthcoming elections in 2023.

Tinubu is banking on APC's rigging machinery Army/Police to win. He knows it would be over for him if Buhari remains neutral.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by Pio44: 7:49am On Jun 20, 2022
Youth get ur PVC, go for peter obi is better

1 Like

Re: Buhari Still Waiting For Tinubu’s Shortlist Of Running Mates by Prettylima(f): 7:49am On Jun 20, 2022
Runing mate should never be an issues nau undecided
We build carton of any kind, size and very affordable check my signature cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obi Could Have Gone Far, But Obidients Can’t Control Their Mouths - Reno Omokri / World Bank Approves $2.1bn Loan For Seven Projects In Nigeria / Gbajabiamila, Lasun Begin Race For House Speaker In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.