Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,303 members, 7,808,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:30 AM

Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? (2157 Views)

90% Of Those Posing As Writers On Nairaland Are Scammers! / Please, Where Can I Get Good Writers To Hire? / Join other fiction writers on Naija Writers United Group on Whatsapp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by iamL(f): 5:01pm On Jun 24, 2022
LarrySun:
LOL! Have a nice day.

Very matured.
Please don't forget the continuation of black Maria. July is almost here already.
Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by sparta191(m): 8:51pm On Jun 24, 2022
Lol
Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by Biodun1929(m): 7:24pm On Jun 25, 2022
Hermix:
Please recommend me a good Nairaland writer that has written a story on this forum. I don't mind if it's incomplete, or short.

Nothing I've read, barring Misswrite's beautifully crafted stories, has captivated me enough to the point of wanting to finish the story.

I want someone who writes good prose and knows how to add colour to their sentences. I want someone who infuses figures of speech into their writing, the way Misswrite does, not some bland story teller like Larrysun.

I want someone who can mobilize words to paint vivid pictures that immerse you into the story; words that catapult you into the mind of the characters so you can feel every emotion, viscerally.

[b]I regard myself as an absolutely terrible writer and yet, from my own evaluation, on this forum, I write better than a lot of the people here. [/b]This is heartbreaking. Surely there are better writers on Nairaland? Please point them to me.

Thank you.

Why don't you write stories for yourself then since you feel you're that good. If you've ever tried to write even a short story, and know how hard it can be, you won't be condemning other people's works the way you're doing. You have no IDEA what it takes to start and complete a story.

3 Likes

Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by GoodIsGod: 9:19pm On Jun 25, 2022
I read one of her stories and discovered she is not as good as she sees herself. I don't see myself as being a star at writing but she is not better than me. grin

Life is not a competition. Comparing yourself with someone by bringing the fellow down and praising yourself is nothing but a sign of insecurity.

3 Likes

Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by Nobody: 12:48am On Jun 26, 2022
GoodIsGod:
I read one of her stories and discovered she is not as good as she sees herself. I don't see myself as being a star at writing but she is not better than me. grin

Life is not a competition. Comparing yourself with someone by bringing the fellow down and praising yourself is nothing but a sign of insecurity.

First of all, I never said I was good. If you aren't blinded by your bias and compulsion to spill drivel, you would have seen where I clearly stated in my opening post that I considered myself to be a terrible writer. You will also see a splattering of this confession in my other posts.

Secondly, I don't have a story. That thread you saw was originally posted on romance section. The moronic moderators moved it here for reasons I don't know. It was an attempt at trolling, not a story.
Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by GoodIsGod: 9:57am On Jun 26, 2022
Hermix:

First of all, I never said I was good. If you aren't blinded by your bias and compulsion to spill drivel, you would have seen where I clearly stated in my opening post that I considered myself to be a terrible writer. You will also see a splattering of this confession in my other posts.

Secondly, I don't have a story. That thread you saw was originally posted on romance section. The moronic moderators moved it here for reasons I don't know. It was an attempt at trolling, not a story.

Guy or lady, I don't know which you are. You lack manners. You insult people at the slightest opportunity. Even when they only criticize you.
You are as proud as a peacock though you display senselessness with your grammar usage.
I am sure a lot of people visiting the Literature section feel disgusted already by your ranting and lack of manners.
It will surely take having another moniker for guys like me to read the nonsense you write and call a story .

3 Likes

Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by Biodun1929(m): 7:48pm On Jun 26, 2022
GoodIsGod:

Guy or lady, I don't know which you are. You lack manners. You insult people at the slightest opportunity. Even when they only criticize you.
You are as proud as a peacock though you display senselessness with your grammar usage.
I am sure a lot of people visiting the Literature section feel disgusted already by your ranting and lack of manners.
It will surely take having another moniker for guys like me to read the nonsense you write and call a story .

The girl is really proud and so full of herself.

1 Like

Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by Aiel123: 8:13pm On Jun 26, 2022
@ OP
Tarasha, Tarasha 2: Return For Revenge, Deadly mission are top notch
Oyinprince,Silver1999 remains my favorite nairaland writer
I'm also a budding writer
What do you say about a collabo
Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by GoodIsGod: 8:23pm On Jun 26, 2022
Biodun1929:

The girl is really proud and so full of herself.

Very very proud and uncultured. Just imagine. She criticized the guy so harshly as if the guy has no talent at all and when people criticized her, she resulted into insulting them not minding if the persons she was abusing were older than her.
Does she think it's only kindergartens that use Nairaland?
Very annoying.

1 Like

Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by Biodun1929(m): 10:31pm On Jun 26, 2022
GoodIsGod:

Very very proud and uncultured. Just imagine. She criticized the guy so harshly as if the guy has no talent at all and when people criticized her, she resulted into insulting them not minding if the persons she was abusing were older than her.
Very annoying.

Very very annoying.
Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jun 26, 2022
GoodIsGod:

Very annoying.

Biodun1929:

Very very annoying.

See how both of you are carrying my matter for head like say na bone straight. I don't even know that you exist lol.
Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by ironkurtain(m): 2:59am On Jun 27, 2022
One of the virtues of a matured person is the willingness to take corrections. The matured of all matured makes responses that is not driven by emotions. That's why I respected Larrysun's first comment to the OP's unwarranted and clearly blind criticism of his works. It destroyed what she had earlier said about him and also what she will ever write, even if she put up a beautifully written book about how shitty she thinks his works are.

Moreover, the literature section isn't labeled "Section for Nigerian writers with Grandeur skills". It is a testing ground for individuals that are aspiring to be a writer. In this case, you will most definitely see several narratives that would make you wonder if it was a drunken monkey behind the keyboard. So it is always moving on to the next story if the one you are reading doesn't appeal to you. If you dont see any story at all, you leave the literature section or the blog page entirely and move on to the next.

Someone even made a comment about he thinking that he was reading the journal of a psychopathic serial killer, in one of your posts and you took alot of offense to it. Why are you getting so riled-up for the same treatment that your are dishing out to someone else?.

Finally, you really have to take heed to the advice that i earlier gave you in my first comment. I am saying it once again to Just leave that alone. Attacking a well known person, especially online, is also attacking the person's teeming fans. And you know how Nigerians can be when it comes to online dramas. So just take the advices from those that knows better, take the L's that you have been getting so far and just move on or even delete this post before the unruly characters start lining up for you. For sure you wouldn't want it to degenerate into a total sh!t-show that you might end up regretting.

3 Likes

Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by GoodIsGod: 8:21am On Jun 27, 2022
Hermix:

See how both of you are carrying my matter for head. I don't even know that you exist lol.

grin
Girl, it's not as if you are not talented. You are. But you don't sing your own praise. Let people who read your stories do it . And you don't criticize another by saying they are not good. Allow them to grow even if you think they are not. The best you can do is give them advice on the areas you think they can improve . Ok?

Do you know a lot of people criticized the way you did left the craft believing it's not worth improving on?
This happens mostly to kids. Bad criticsm kills their gifts. So, we should learn how to criticize constructively to avoid such.

Lastly, as someone who is in the field of Arts, (Music, Fine art, Drama, Literature etc.) You need to be used to criticism. People must criticize you and when they do, you don't insult them. Just improve on the areas they say you need improvement or better still, ignore them if you think you don't need such advice.

I was once a student of fine art and criticsm was part of the class. After submission of each assignment, we would all put our works in front of the class and every one of us would point out errors in each other's works. With the lecturer standing by approving or disapproving each criticsm. By that everyone will improve in such areas that were considered not good enough.

Really I don't hate you. Don't get me wrong. I was only pissed off by your harsh comment on someone else's efforts.

Remain blessed. grin

Hoping to read when you post other stories.
Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by tomiwa1989(m): 8:00pm On Jun 29, 2022
Hermix:

Rubbish. One of the worse pieces of writing I've ever read.

Clearly we both have differences in our definition of good writing.
Drop ur link so I could read urs which is best
Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by Olaoluwa122: 8:23am On Jun 30, 2022
Hermix:

Abeggi just keep shut and write your perfect book so we all will be able to read your perfect work without mistake Misogynist forming fake upcoming writer...always finding fault in male writer folks and appreciating her female counterpart....

1 Like

Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by Nobody: 9:53am On Jun 30, 2022
Olaoluwa122:
Abeggi just keep shut and write your perfect book so we all will be able to read your perfect work without mistake Misogynist forming fake upcoming writer...always finding fault in male writer folks and appreciating her female counterpart....

I can't take you seriously if you don't know the meaning of the word Misogynist. You are just a clown like the rest of your annoying ilk.
Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by Godmother(f): 2:40pm On Jun 30, 2022
Hermix:

I can't take you seriously if you don't know the meaning of the word Misogynist. You are just a clown-like the rest of your annoying ilk.

Sis, calm down. If you want to be a critic there are better ways to go about it and coming here to spew venom and lash out at everyone who as much as breathes, isn't one of them.

Like someone already pointed out, you lack manners and, I don't know about others, but I would never want to work with you. You'd be a terrible client; entitled and ungrateful.

Funny enough, you would make a good critic, you just need to tone down the venom and work on being constructive in your criticism.

1 Like

Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jun 30, 2022
Godmother:

Sis, calm down. If you want to be a critic there are better ways to go about it and coming here to spew venom and lash out at everyone who as much as breathes, isn't one of them.

Like someone already pointed out, you lack manners and, I don't know about others, but I would never want to work with you. You'd be a terrible client; entitled and ungrateful.

Funny enough, you would make a good critic, you just need to tone down the venom and work on being constructive in your criticism.

I've actually given this whole "critic" subject a rest and I don't post on this thread anymore, except when dragged into squabbles by my detractors.

I'm currently focused on my other threads, but whenever I get derisive mentions from this thread, I don't hold back my wrath. I always give it back to my haters hot-hot.

As for you not wanting to work with me for whatever lame reasons your little mind has fabricated, you can take a plunge into the heart of a volcano for all I care. You never existed to me until this moment, and after this moment, you will be but a faded memory.
Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by Godmother(f): 9:09pm On Jun 30, 2022
GoodIsGod:

Very annoying.

My dear, leave her. We know her type. She's likely a frustrated spinster whose younger ones are all settled and instead of looking inward to find the cause of her delay in life, chooses to spew her hate at everyone around.

I wouldn't waste two seconds with her anymore. Definitely not worth it.

2 Likes

Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by Ambassador21(m): 11:22pm On Jun 30, 2022
Maybe you should read beneath my heart by sokodobo
Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by Nobody: 7:11am On Jul 01, 2022
Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by drippingink3: 4:27pm On Jul 03, 2022
Wow.
Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by gracile(f): 11:53pm On Jan 13
I just discovered another talented Nairaland writer.

@Gracile

She's very good. I also visited her Instagram page where she does occasional book reviews. I'm already a fan.

This is a link to her story titled "Rain"
https://www.nairaland.com/3819526/rain

This is a perfect example of what good writing is guys. Enough with the celebration of mediocrity.

Wow!
How am I just seeing this
Thank you. Thank you.
Means a lot to me
Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by FoolishBoy419: 7:03am On Jan 15
Compare the above with the copied paragraphs from LarrySun's story. What you'd notice is a gulf of imagination and skill.

The images misswrite paints in these short paragraphs are clear, powerful, evocative and stunningly beautiful. Her word play is top-notch and her prose is excellent.

This is how to write, folks. Stop celebrating mediocrity. Stop making bad writers think that they are hot shots.

The second one does indeed sound better to the ears, but you need to understand that readers have different preferences. Someone like me would pick the first story over the second one if it has less fillers and a better story. The only deal breaker for me is excessive grammatical errors.

I think it's important for people to stop trying to assume being some sort of authority with regards to what readers should or shouldn't enjoy. The ultimate goal of fiction writing is to entertain and if Larrysun is able to do that with his simplistic style, it shouldn't be anybody's business. People said the same thing about 50 Shades of Grey but till date, the author makes millions of dollars monthly from her "mediocre" books. Similarly, J.K Rawlings violates most of the traditional "rules" of writing such as avoiding exclamation marks, passive voices, adverbs, etc but because she entertained her readers, she's worth billions of dollars today. We write to satisfy our target audience and not English professors.

1 Like

Re: Are There No Good Writers On Nairaland? by Maxcollins042(m): 11:38am On Jan 17
minks:
Good critical review, I must say.
Every writer needs such critical reviews to assess themselves.
If you think you're a good writer, wait until someone else reads your work and gives their unbiased opinion of it.
Those who wish to improve their craft will always welcome reviews with an open heart and work at making improvement.

You have said it all. Constructive reviews should be very much welcomed. However, I think this reviewer is too harsh with his criticism. She shouldn't have labeled Larry's work as a 'forgettable nonsense'. It's highly unsophisticated and uncalled for. I won't be surprised if the criticized casts the assessment aside.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Secrets Of Making Money On Amazon Kindle Digital Publishing Exposed! _ / John Grisham Is Overatted. Who Is Ur Favourite Author (law Category) / Deadly Matrimony [Romanceā¤]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.