Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,883 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:33 AM

7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC (28089 Views)

Orubebe Joins APC In Delta / Femi Fani-Kayode & Orubebe Visit Goodluck Jonathan (Photos) / PDP And APC Spokespersons Greet In Abuja After Buhari's Election Victory. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by Lurdmax10: 6:53am On Jun 21, 2022
Former minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Elder Godsday Orubebe, has joined the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), seven years after he attempted to scuttle the emergence of President Muhammadu Buhari, as Nigerian leader .

LEADERSHIP learnt that Buhari is set to receive Orubebe into the ruling party in the next few days. Orubebe had in apparent loyalty to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and President Goodluck Jonathan, on March 31st, 2015, disrupted proceedings at the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) collation centre in Abuja.

He acted to forestall the admission of election results from the states favourable to the emergence of Buhari as president-elect. Orubebe, was appointed a substantive minister on April 6, 2010, when Jonathan constituted his new cabinet as the acting president.

As a polling agent to Jonathan at the collation centre, he accused then INEC’s chairman, Prof. Attahiru Jega, of taking sides with the main opposition at that time, APC. But he later apologised to the nation over his conduct, adding that he regretted the action.

However, in a fresh twist, Orubebe on Monday dumped the PDP as a prelude to his formal defection to the ruling party. It was learnt that Orubebe’s defection was perfected by the Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege and Delta State chairman of APC, Engineer Omeni Sobotie.

LEADERSHIP gathered that an elated Omo-Agege had last week, told Buhari that he had successfully persuaded Orubebe, who was said to be angered by the emergence of a Nigerian of northern extraction, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, as the presidential candidate of the main opposition party, to join the ruling party.

Omo-Agege and Sobotie were said to be on the neck of Orubebe to join APC.  LEADERSHIP gathered that Orubebe eventually carved in to the request. It was learnt that Buhari was excited by the development and expressed readiness to personally receive the former minister into the party.

Further investigation revealed that the national chairman of APC , Senator Abdullahi Adamu and Omo-Agege, were billed to usher Orubebe into the Presidential Villa to meet with Buhari within the next few days, as  part of the process of his formal admittance into the party.

Orubebe allegedly opted for APC because the party acted in line with his conviction that power should shift to the southern part of the country after 8-year reign of a northerner.

He had acted in line with the leaders of the Niger Delta, PANDEF, Middle-Belt and South East (Ohanaeze Ndigbo) who had also rejected the emergence of Atiku as the presidential candidate.  The southern leaders, in tandem with Orubebe, maintained that power must shift to southern Nigeria.

Findings showed that Orubebe was convinced to pitch tent with APC because the ruling party picked its presidential standard bearer from the Southern part of the country. The former minister was said to have expressed readiness to spare no effort to work towards the victory of APC’s presidential candidate, Asiwaju Ahmed Tinubu. Orubebe said the mood of the country favoured a southern candidate, adding that Tinubu was best fitted.

The minister in the letter addressed to the national chairman of PDP, Dr. Iyiorchia Ayu, dumping the opposition party, yesterday, lamented that it was obvious that the PDP was not ready to win the 2023 presidential election because of alleged wrong choice of candidate.

He stated in the letter, “I write to formally inform you of my resignation from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). This has been communicated to the Chairman of Burutu Ward 3, Burutu LGA, Delta State, effective 20th June, 2022. Consequently, I am by this letter intimating you of my total withdrawal from all activities at the ward, local, state and national levels of PDP.

“I am highly honoured and privileged to have been part of a political party that successfully transformed a pariah nation to one that commanded respect in the comity of nations. When we lost the presidential election in the 2015 in bewildered circumstances to say the least, it was my belief that the party would use the opposition period to strategise with the  aim of taking back power at the earliest opportunity.

“However, the present situation in the party does not inspire confidence that the party is ready to regain power in 2033. Against the mood of the nation, and in complete disregard to (sic) the provision of the party’s constitution, the party, threw the zoning of the Presidency open, which created a situation that led to the emergence of a northerner as the party’s presidential flag bearer, thus making the two topmost positions in the party, after your emergence as the national chairman, to be occupied by northerners, contrary to section 7.3 (c) of the party’s constitution.”

Orubebe praised the Rivers State governor, Mr Nyenson Wike, for raising the bar in favour of the southern part of the country by trying to wrest power to the advantage of the south.

He added, “ I salute and commend the governor of Rivers State, His Excellency, Nyesom Wike, for his efforts and gallantry at the primaries. Posterity will be kind to him when the history of the party is written. There are very lot to be said, but out of respect for the party, I leave some stories untold at this time.

“My belief in the sanctity of Nigeria is unshaken and I will continually work for the progress and development, even if it is through another route.”

Reports available yesterday showed that Orubebe formally submitted his resignation letter to the Wadatta Plaza headquarters of the party in Abuja in the early hours of Monday.

It was gathered that top officials of Delta State government, who were immediately contacted, made futile efforts to stop Orubebe, who rebuffed the entreaties.

https://leadership.ng/7-years-after-opposing-buharis-election-orubebe-joins-apc

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by Fira09(m): 6:54am On Jun 21, 2022
All these lunatics politicians self jumping from one party to another like an ANIMAL.

Looking for where to loot funds excessively,

GODSDAY ORUBEBE well done sir.

Anyway Let's just be OBIdient in next year election.
PETER OBI all the way, get your PVC.

98 Likes 11 Shares

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by Fahdiga(m): 6:56am On Jun 21, 2022
Not surprised. His outburst back then showed that he is tailor made for the satanic APC. That's their trademark

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by Cajal(m): 6:57am On Jun 21, 2022
PDP IS SINKING
OBI IS GAINING
APC IS POLITICKING

86 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by Fahdiga(m): 6:58am On Jun 21, 2022
Cajal:
PDP IS SINKING
OBI IS GAINING
APC IS POLITICKING
You can say that again

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by muzzafar(m): 6:58am On Jun 21, 2022
This one na another matter. E don follow oga jona. Wike is next and after him Obi
na so i see am

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by FuckSilly: 6:59am On Jun 21, 2022
Nigeria political parties have no structures and there's absolutely nothing different between APC and PDP.

Also, 99% Nigeria politicians are USELESS, greedy and corrupt clowns.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by babepedd: 6:59am On Jun 21, 2022
Who doesn't remember that infamous incident

6 Likes

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by 9jaRealist: 6:59am On Jun 21, 2022
Lurdmax10:

https://leadership.ng/7-years-after-opposing-buharis-election-orubebe-joins-apc

Wonders will never end in Nigerian politics…
But don’t the APC even have a minimum standard for accepting new members?

>

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:59am On Jun 21, 2022
APC will do and accept anyone to get the support of SouthSouth.

However, I stand with PDP and Atiku.

May God continually bless our National Secretary Senator Samuel Anyanwu aka Sam Daddy cool

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by FuckSilly: 6:59am On Jun 21, 2022
grin cool
Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by Freshfish4: 6:59am On Jun 21, 2022
Idiat left a sinking ship to another sinking ship.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by farouk2much(m): 6:59am On Jun 21, 2022
Shame on you orubebe.. Tinubu at it again...... But let me remind all of una weh dey support jagaban............... Tinubu will never rule Nigeria.... And no body from lagos will break that jinx....... Dan uwar ku

10 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by Toriagirl(f): 6:59am On Jun 21, 2022
All these politicians should rest! They're just too many, seeking for just one thing.

9 Likes

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by beerfraud: 6:59am On Jun 21, 2022
Tinubu is working and another one is busy taking selfie with some misguided unfortunate children of hate

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by Tutonig: 7:00am On Jun 21, 2022
Politics is just too dirty a game for me

3 Likes

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by Fira09(m): 7:00am On Jun 21, 2022
muzzafar:
This one na another matter. E don follow oga jona. Wike is next and after him Obi
na so i see am

U are kidding!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by SenatePresdo(m): 7:00am On Jun 21, 2022
If FFK could Join APC, then anybody can Join APC.

These politicians are only after their interest, they don't care about you and I, I pity the youths that fights over politicians.

Una mumu never too much??

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by Christane: 7:01am On Jun 21, 2022
real definition of if you can't beat dem,join dem.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by paulolee(m): 7:01am On Jun 21, 2022
political prostitute...after u disgrace urself for national tv ontop PDP matter, u still get mind switch to APC....shameless man

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by Bobloco: 7:01am On Jun 21, 2022
angry
Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by Maxymilliano(m): 7:02am On Jun 21, 2022
Orubebe is only looking for where his bread will be buttered but what I found interesting is Buhari's excitement over the reported move to APC after Orubebe's shenanigans in 2015

2 Likes

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by mema900: 7:02am On Jun 21, 2022
Toriagirl:
All these politicians should rest! They're just too many, seeking for just one thing.

Its good for our country that they are getting too many. When the place can no longer accommodate all of them, they will sit and discuss how to make the country work for everyone

1 Like

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by bewla(m): 7:02am On Jun 21, 2022
T
Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by slickbak(m): 7:02am On Jun 21, 2022
cheesy
70 year old clown
No level
Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by We4all: 7:02am On Jun 21, 2022
I can still remember his embarrassing outbursts back then. These people are shameless.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by Gten(m): 7:02am On Jun 21, 2022
Nothing new, it is the transfer season.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Years After Opposing Buhari’s Election, Orubebe Joins APC by Totilopussylick(m): 7:03am On Jun 21, 2022
muzzafar:
na so i see am

Which is to say he is "Ashawo" politician tongue

Anywhere belle face politician.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bandits Gun Down Assistant Police Commissioner Aminu Umar In Katsina / Anambra Election: Yul Edochie Denies Stepping Down, Threatens Legal Action / Rowdy Session In Senate Over Naira Redesign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.