Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,624 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:25 PM

Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption (15150 Views)

Vote For The Candidate Who Will Perform Best As President / Ortom: Any Fulani Who Comes To Benue As Vigilante Will Go To Jail / Meet Nicholas Felix, 37-Year-Old PCP Presidential Candidate Who Came 3rd In 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by dre11(m): 4:00pm On Jun 21, 2022
The unravelings of the past seven years should jolt us to sombre reality, if for any reason we are still in the thrall of propagandised political chicanery. Any candidate who makes his election campaign about fighting corruption without antecedented commitment to this end and without a clear plan and strategy is thoroughly lying. Fighting corruption takes grueling years of institutional and attitudinal reforms – beginning from the very top to the bottom. And it takes gravitas and the tearing down of the current system.

President Muhammadu Buhari came to power on a broom flight to clean up the much-noised miasma of corruption in the Jonathan administration. Settling in, the Buhari government quickly applied itself to pseudo-reformist proselytising. The government caterwauled over how the Jonathan administration magicked the public treasury into exclusive pockets. The biggest news headline at the time was — STOLEN $2.1bn ARMS FUND.

Sambo Dasuki, former national security adviser (NSA), was the first casualty of the Buhari anti-corruption blitz. The government accused him of being the wheel from where corruption in the Jonathan administration gyrated. His office was accused of diverting $2.1 billion earmarked for arms purchase.

The Buhari government incarcerated Dasuki illegally, denying him the right to defend himself in court. And days segued into months and months into years – they held him. It became clear that the administration’s war was not against corruption but against perceived adversaries. It also became obvious that the anti-corruption crusade was only to excite Nigerians and to deflect citizens’ interrogation from the government’s failings. The arms probe has now gone the way of others before it – to the netherworld of hypocrisy – where all probes go to die.

Also, as those accused of partaking in the communal sleaze under Jonathan were put in the dock, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission under Ibrahim Magu, dispatched its utilities to securing conviction in the media instead of the court. The arraignment of ex-public officers was well-noised to whet the appetite of Nigerians who were hungry to see those who stole from them chalk up time and penitence in jail. But it ended there – just noise. Some of the ex-military officers whom the anti-graft agency charged for allegedly tucking into the $2.1 billion arms ‘scam’ are free men today, and even the so-called loot has been reportedly re-looted by the hirelings of the current government.

We exist in a Dickensian society. Those entrusted with securing citizens against public theft are themselves crooks in Messianic raiment. The watchdogs are themselves bloodhounds and vampires.

Where is Babachir Lawal? The case of the former secretary to the government of the federation (SGF) has been sputtering to asphyxiation in court. Lawal was accused of awarding contracts worth over N500 million to himself, but the disgraced former SGF is back in the political highlife, giving lectures on ‘’good governance and corruption’’ and campaigning for politicians seeking elective office.

In October 2021, the Pandora Papers Project led by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) published grubby details of sleaze involving Nigerian public officers.

Nigerians, both current and former public officers, were named ignominiously in reports revealing how the Nigerian elite evade tax, perjure, loot, and shore up questionable wealth in tax havens.

A public servant who was recently appointed as the head of a critical government agency by the Buhari administration was reported to have purchased a piece of property worth 475,000 pounds in London, UK, after he was appointed as an executive director at the agency in 2017. The asset is said to be his largest single investment in the UK property market. This public officer was initially appointed in acting capacity, but President Buhari approved his appointment as substantive managing director of the agency in February 2022 – despite the revelations by the Pandora Papers.

The EFCC recently announced it arrested Ahmed Idris, suspended accountant-general of the federation, over alleged misappropriation of N80 billion. Idris is alleged to have purchased a stretch of property in Abuja and Kano while in office. But the trajectory of this case is clear. It will go the way of others before it – to the netherworld of official compromise and collusion.

Nigeria’s corruption respects diversity and federal character. Resources and public goods may not be equitably distributed among all Nigerians, and even political offices could be sectionalised, but on corruption, there is always a geographical balance. There is always a perfect ethnic representation at the table of loot. Where true democracy is at play among the Nigerian elite is on corruption. On corruption, there is common ground. Corruption is the centrifugal force pulling all together in the council of interests. Democratised corruption.

The reality is corruption cannot be fought without institutional and attitudinal reforms as well as personal example, sincerity, commitment, clear plan and strategy by members of the highest level of leadership and those at the subnational level down to the residual rung. Any Nigerian leader who seeks to dare the undared must be willing to be unpopular.

Nigerians must beware of candidates who come in the name of fighting corruption – without any visible strategy. They know it will excite the people. But beware.

https://www.thecable.ng/beware-of-any-candidate-who-comes-in-the-name-of-fighting-corruption/amp

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by Fahdiga(m): 4:00pm On Jun 21, 2022
We know the author is talking about Tinubu here but we won't be deceived the second time. Nigerians have unanimously agreed to vote for Peter Obi as our president. Tinubu and Atiku are just wasting their loots

232 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by LagosEmir: 4:02pm On Jun 21, 2022
Buhari APC came with that thieving format and deceived us

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by Fahdiga(m): 4:03pm On Jun 21, 2022
LagosEmir:
Buhari APC came with that thieving format and deceived us
Yes. Reason why we are now OBIdient

113 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jun 21, 2022
Basic reason why a politican cannot fight corruption.

Under the Army, fighting corruption was simple. Pass a decree, and everything would be wrapped up in a few days. And you don't need to go to the courts. Just try X infront of an army tribunal.

Under civillian rule...you have to go to court, you have to follow due process, and in many instances, prosectuion may end in an acquittal if the evidence is 'not sufficent'. Let's not even forget that some political officers have immunity from prosecution...and also a political officer can get a perpetual injunction.

Also, politicans get into office with a lot of allies help. If one of them allies is corrupt, and he or she gets prosecuted....that can mean that H.E. won't be elected next election.....

Then people want to protect their 'son'.

10 Likes

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jun 21, 2022

8 Likes

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by NaijaRoyalty(m): 4:12pm On Jun 21, 2022
Will Tinubu campaign with "I will fight corruption" in his campaign promises in 2023?

Time will tell grin

14 Likes

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by Dreal1247: 4:19pm On Jun 21, 2022
Just imagine Atiku or Tinubu promises to fight corru

11 Likes

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by ATEAMS: 4:56pm On Jun 21, 2022
LoL
Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:56pm On Jun 21, 2022
CORRUPTION MUST DIE TOTALLY IN OUR NATION.

For those who may have forgotten, kindly joggle your memories with the following words on marble and you will agree with us that what happened in our nation since democracy was nothing but gathering of rogues.
Happy reading:

1. I acted based on Jonathan's instruction - Dasuki

2. I didn't give order - Jonathan

3. I collected 350M from Dasuki for consultation - Iyorchia Ayu

4. I only collected $30,000 from Dasuki not N100m - Bode George

5. I got N4.6b from Dasuki for spiritual purposes - Bafarawa

6. I got N650M from Dasuki for my Abuja burnt office - Thisday Obaigbena.

7. I got N2.1b from Dasuki for publicity - Dokpesi

8. I got another N100m from Yuguda he didn't tell me from where - Bafarawa.

9. I gave N100m each to Odili, Jim Nwobodo Bode George and others - Yuguda

10. The president asked me to change N10B to foreign currency for PDP delegates - Dasuki

11. My boss asked me to get $11M from the CBN - Dasuki's account officer.

12. I got order from above to pay Tompolo N13B for Maritime university land. - Nimasa DG.

13. 950m was shared in my house -- Shekarau

With all this looting and many more revealed, some people are still shouting no sign of change yet, they even say it's political persecution.

But I believe, it is the right thing to do. 
If you believe too, send this to other people to garner more support for the fight against corruption and looting in our nation. There must be consequences for such crimes otherwise Nigeria will not develop.

WHERE ARE THE #WAILERS? 
"Over 20 billion dollars unremitted to the Federation account, and if nothing is done by 2015 upward, Nigeria will know what economic crisis is"
*~ Emir Sanusi Lamido Sanusi*

"Whoever wins 2015 will NEVER find it easy to govern. Over 30 trillion is mismanaged, unaccounted for or missing under Jonathan."
*~ Prof Charles Soludo*

"Our reserve is depleted and our savings are squandered. Our nation is in trouble."
*~ Dr Oby Ezekwesili.*

"For seven months, NNPC did not remit any money into federation account. When I called as a sitting governor and major oil producing state, Deziani Alison Madueke refused to pick my calls."
*~ Godswill Akpabio*

"I told them to save ahead of eventualities but Jonathan had no political will to do so and this is the reason why we are in crisis, because we squandered our boom."
*~ Okonjo Iweala*

"Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi urged us to save but we state Governors refused to save for the unseen future during the tenure of Goodluck Jonathan, despite warning from economic experts."
*~ Peter Obi*

"Jonathan is a blessed ATM machine that doesn't have secret pin.

We Rise.

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by bigdammyj: 4:57pm On Jun 21, 2022
Noted.

Fahdiga:
We know the author is talking about Tinubu here but we won't be deceived the second time. Nigerians have unanimously agreed to vote for Peter Obi as our president. Tinubu and Atiku are just wasting their loots

Mark this; Though he can't win, but if PO by chance wins the election, corruption under him will be worse than that of PMB.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by Tobi890: 4:57pm On Jun 21, 2022
Actually for me, PDP and APC candidates want to be president because they think they deserve it because of their contribution to Nigerian politics, which is why, Nigeria is like this, no plans at all, just let's get there first just like Bubu, people expecting him to do more are wasting their time, he is just waiting for the day of handover, which is why, we all want Peter obi

4 Likes

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by Juliearth(f): 4:57pm On Jun 21, 2022
Would you rather have them support corruption?
Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by Upton: 4:57pm On Jun 21, 2022
Ok
Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by Akwamkpuruamu: 4:57pm On Jun 21, 2022
Hahaha!

OBIdiently keeping my pvc

5 Likes

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by redcliff: 4:58pm On Jun 21, 2022
OBI did not come with the Mantra of fighting corruption, he is coming with the Mantra of eliminating waste! which this country is very good at. Wastage. This means that whatever he does revolves around this topic, there are other sub-themes in that Mantra. If you dont gerrit forget aboourrit.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by PlayerMeji: 4:58pm On Jun 21, 2022
No b lie!

11 Likes

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jun 21, 2022
Lol
Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by OluwafuntoAK(f): 4:58pm On Jun 21, 2022
Awear
Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by Paperwhite(m): 4:59pm On Jun 21, 2022
We exist in a Dickensian society. Those entrusted with securing citizens against public theft are themselves crooks in Messianic raiment. The watchdogs are themselves bloodhounds and vampires.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by Quest7777: 5:00pm On Jun 21, 2022
After the Buhari will fix insecurity & Osinbajo will Fix Economy scam, Make we see the format APC/PDP wan use scam us now.

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by kelvincoke(m): 5:01pm On Jun 21, 2022
We soon experience better Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by MurderX: 5:01pm On Jun 21, 2022
Seun Nairaland we see your point of view but nobody can stop the OBIdient movement.

4 Likes

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by redcliff: 5:01pm On Jun 21, 2022
post=114020701:
[s] CORRUPTION MUST DIE TOTALLY IN OUR NATION.

For those who may have forgotten, kindly joggle your memories with the following words on marble and you will agree with us that what happened in our nation since democracy was nothing but gathering of rogues.
Happy reading:

10. The president asked me to change N10B to foreign currency for PDP delegates - Dasuki

12. I got order from above to pay Tompolo N13B for Maritime university land. - Nimasa DG.

With all this looting and many more revealed, some people are still shouting no sign of change yet, they even say it's political persecution.

If you believe too, send this to other people to garner more support for the fight against corruption and looting in our nation. There must be consequences for such crimes otherwise Nigeria will not develop.

WHERE ARE THE #WAILERS? 
"Over 20 billion dollars unremitted to the Federation account, and if nothing is done by 2015 upward, Nigeria will know what economic crisis is"

"Whoever wins 2015 will NEVER find it easy to govern. Over 30 trillion is mismanaged, unaccounted for or missing under Jonathan."
*~ Prof Charles Soludo*

"Our reserve is depleted and our savings are squandered. Our nation is in trouble."
*~ Dr Oby Ezekwesili.*

"For seven months, NNPC did not remit any money into federation account. When I called as a sitting governor and major oil producing state, Deziani Alison Madueke refused to pick my calls."
*~ Godswill Akpabio*

"I told them to save ahead of eventualities but Jonathan had no political will to do so and this is the reason why we are in crisis, because we squandered our boom."
*~ Okonjo Iweala*

"Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi urged us to save but we state Governors refused to save for the unseen future during the tenure of Goodluck Jonathan, despite warning from economic experts."
*~ Peter Obi*

We Rise. [/s]

Foolish boy, you are still complaining of someone who left office 7 1/2 years ago. are you not tired of being backward in life?

13 Likes

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by QueenOfTheCoast(f): 5:02pm On Jun 21, 2022
post=114020701:
CORRUPTION MUST DIE TOTALLY IN OUR NATION.

Happy reading:

WHERE ARE THE #WAILERS? 

*~ Prof Charles Soludo*

*~ Dr Oby Ezekwesili.*

*~ Godswill Akpabio*

*~ Okonjo Iweala*

*~ Peter Obi*

We Rise.
all of a sudden Nigeria will need a man like Tinubu to fix Buhari's mess.
all of a sudden after 7 years they've now realised that Buhari's government is now a failure since campaigning for continuity of their party's failure means mocking Nigeria.
all of a sudden buhari is no longer the best thing to happen to Nigeria after cat fish pepper soup.
all of a sudden they're now Buhari's critics just to project and tested failure within the same party.
because how will they explain to Nigerians that their party is the cause of their problems.
how can they explain to Nigerian youths sitting at home that their party is the reason they're rotting at home when they're supposed to be in the school.
how will they explain to Nigerians that their party is the cause of ravaging insecurities we found ourselves today and that their presidential candidate will be recruiting 50 million youths into the army to feed them agbado and cassava.
how can they explain to Nigerians that their party has failed them in every aspects.

of course they have no explanation for all these hence their only hope is to go tribal and play their usual old tribalism and tribal card tactics.
but you as a citizen of this country ask yourself this question.
will tribalism better our economy to at least prior to 2015?
will tribalism end insecurity and make everyone safe?
will tribalism send our children back to school and equip our schools.
will tribalism make life better for an average citizen?

so after pushing for a failure to be President what next?
when the suffering comes will it select other tribe and leave yours?
today all Nigerians are suffering but Buhari got the highest votes from the North.

dear fellow citizens it's time to look into these people's eyes and tell them to go to hell with their division tactics.
at a point all major tribes never believed in Nigeria but today they made it look like they love Nigeria most but keep presenting bad leaders ruining this country.
it's time to say enough is enough.

THE YOUTHS ARE COMING!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by Hndrrxxx(m): 5:03pm On Jun 21, 2022
Hh
Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by specialmati(m): 5:03pm On Jun 21, 2022
grin grin grin grin grin the two old currupt money bags will fight curruption how. I keep asking how can any sane person be supporting those old money bags that even bribed delegates to get presidential ticket. They will first recover the money they dished out to delegates first then whatever is left can be looted

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Any Candidate Who Comes In The Name Of Fighting Corruption by naija4life247: 5:04pm On Jun 21, 2022
Okay nah.

I am sure we all know that Tinubu will never say he wants to fight corruption, neither will the father of corruption Atiku Abubakar say so.

Only the Pandora Obituary can come up with such a joke as his flat headed miscreants followers as been saying

234 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senate Passes Business Reform Bill / Ngige: States Paying Egyptian Doctors Higher Than Nigerians Promoting Division / Hon. Jim Okolo Chimezie Appointed As UMEC West African Coordinator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.