Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,321 members, 7,780,798 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:26 PM

Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses (19815 Views)

My Job Experience: My Testimony / My First Job Experience After School As A Lady. / 33yrs, ND Holder Without Job Experience ;any Hope? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by techstack: 3:50pm On Jun 23, 2022
American, he is the best.

6 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by stevewale(m): 3:51pm On Jun 23, 2022
Redpillar:
Magnificent!

In my experience working remotely with foreign clients, I have noticed some things;

1) The Sir/Ma doesn’t cut it for them. They prefer being called by their first names. “Hello Andrew”, “Morning Ms Avery”

2) You can ask questions, but don’t ask every question. They are willing to teach, but don’t overplay it. Sometimes research and take initiative.

3) Europeans especially the Brits do not like excessive work. Just do some and leave some for the next day.

4) Americans do not mind if you work overtime. In fact, 40hrs a week is small thing in their books.

5) Don’t be moved by their niceties. A lot of times, it is just formality.

6) You don’t need the fake accent. Speak clearly and they would actually hear you. Most of them do! cheesy

7) They are huge on efficiency. You think you are working in Nigeria? Try working with a foreigner and you would know why you friends abroad are stingy. You work for every dollar.

8- Americans pay the best most times.

9) Avoid Asians. India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, whatever. Just avoid them if you can.

10) They know Nigeria. They have heard the good and of course the BAD! If you are nice to them, they open up. The first step is to start asking questions about Nigeria.

You say it all! Absolutely correct!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by Pootle: 3:52pm On Jun 23, 2022
Colombian grin

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by NUJABEZ: 3:53pm On Jun 23, 2022
I had a good time working with ny South African boss, and a horrible time with the Indian. Run from Indians at all costs.

In other words, please check out this monitor that's for sale in Lagos on my thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/7180364/high-end-hp-elitedisplay-e273

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by GloriousGbola: 3:54pm On Jun 23, 2022
Redpillar:
Magnificent!

In my experience working remotely with foreign clients, I have noticed some things;

3) Europeans especially the Brits do not like excessive work. Just do some and leave some for the next day.

4) Americans do not mind if you work overtime. In fact, 40hrs a week is small thing in their books.

Sick leave is practically a crime in Yankee. Nutcases

And like you said, oyibos are not into effort without results. Nigerians are in love with, but you no see all the work I do?

9 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by virginchaser(m): 3:55pm On Jun 23, 2022
Americans are the best. I also worked with Canadian,always kept an evening within the week for Heineken. My Swiss boss was equally nice but never invited me to his private residence. My German boss, a sky diver as hobby, believed there should not be too much familiarity but ashamed of cheating you whenever you pointed out your right.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by blue01(m): 3:56pm On Jun 23, 2022
I work in a Danish organisation and to be honest as a staff you get free money almost anytime....a shipping company though. grin

13 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by Ebubu4: 3:57pm On Jun 23, 2022
Americans are so nice cool

8 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by Sivou1(m): 4:02pm On Jun 23, 2022
Well for me, I work with a foreign boss with exceptional leadership qualities, he always look out for what can bring the best out of me. Though he is not Asian but European but brought up in SA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by Moblux(m): 4:05pm On Jun 23, 2022
I have worked with a Briton, Scottish and Canadian but the best of all was the Scottish guy. I learned greatly under him. The Briton was unnecessarily overbearing. The Candian was a lessir fair attitude guy.

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by damola1: 4:07pm On Jun 23, 2022
Hasty Generalization fallacy

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by Goldenklassy: 4:08pm On Jun 23, 2022
I learnt that Chinese,Lebanese,Arabs are the worst employer

7 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by Skillsnigeria: 4:09pm On Jun 23, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by SmartyPants(m): 4:10pm On Jun 23, 2022
IyaTola:
Omo! You see the first two foreigners describe by the poster above me, if they are the last jobs available. Dear Jobseeker DON'T TAKE THE JOB

First three

1 Like

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by YoungDaNaval(m): 4:14pm On Jun 23, 2022
Worked with an Indonesian boss, he's a very nice and friendly man. Worked with a Romanian, this one no get issue, just that he's too holy, you know all these deeper life and choosen kind of holy? Lol

Worked with a Georgian, this one na guy man, I dey give am babes steady.

Worked with a Ukrainian, Omo this one na werey, always acting like he's on drugs, person wey Una dey gist dey laugh the next minute, he Don Change am for you grin

Oh Les I forget, worked with a Croatian, that one dey target my nyash but God pass am. He get luck, I nearly overboard the werey one day cheesy

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by Omniman(m): 4:15pm On Jun 23, 2022
grin

Working with British Female Manager.

Fantastic!

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by Maxxim: 4:16pm On Jun 23, 2022
tillaman:
If you have ever worked for an Egyptian dominated company then you will know the difference between AC and Fan
Elucidate boss cheesy

1 Like

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by swissgoldenpro2: 4:17pm On Jun 23, 2022
Avoid Lebanese and Chinese bosses

8 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by Offpoint1: 4:18pm On Jun 23, 2022
Indians can shout for Africa grin

6 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by tweakdude1: 4:19pm On Jun 23, 2022
famouscargo4u:
I've been working in a french-owned company and I report to French man as well. I have no issues

Thank your God say no be Indian or Lebanese

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by okomile(f): 4:20pm On Jun 23, 2022
I have good working relationship with my German, Italian, Israelis and British bosses.
I still keep in touch with them.
They don't accept laziness at work though.
Still miss them.
I have always worked in a construction companies.
grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by Johel(m): 4:20pm On Jun 23, 2022
lavylilly:
We may have experienced one thing or the other while carrying out our activities in work places owned by foreign (Chinese, Indians, Lebanese, American, British etc) individuals and we definitely must have experienced either sweet or harsh conditions. As for me, my Boss is fond using the statements below which she is always serious with-

'Nigeria has plenty workers (many jobless people looking for jobs), if you cannot work, collect your salary and go!' In cases like this, i just try to put in my best and make sure i seek better opportunities.

I have also noticed that they (Chinese) have no job descriptions for their jobs, you are made to work in all departments at once or at intervals and some do not have a well described closing time.
Also, they do not care your dressing type, just do your job diligently and seriously.

Kindly share yours

Indians and Chinese are really terrible pple when it comes to how they treat Nigerians...Though,they are still better than Nigerian bosses I swear...I've worked with em in the past...But about 5years now I've been working with Lebanese...

They are still fair...most of them that act mean,Na Naija man give am wrong OT,their own is do the job you are being hired for properly,they don't welcome excuses, and they pay better than Chinese and Indians...But you see Naija bosses, God forbid!...Most Nigerians are religious,tribal,and sentimental.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by Lama70(m): 4:21pm On Jun 23, 2022
I worked with the Israelis for eight years. It was a wonderful experience. We parted ways amicably in 2005.

However, our path crossed again in 2018 when things were not looking good. I actually met his driver inside traffic and exchanged contacts. He gave a good recommendation that brought me up again.

He's back in Israel now. I am eternally grateful to him.

24 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by Redpillar(m): 4:22pm On Jun 23, 2022
GloriousGbola:

Sick leave is practically a crime in Yankee.Nutcases

And like you said, oyibos are not into effort without results. Nigerians are in love with, but you no see all the work I do?

Really? My American boss just loves you to keep working. The Brit freaks out when I work at night. Yea, they love results!!

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by Moneyyman: 4:24pm On Jun 23, 2022
Amen, senior man.

Be like them show you shege ba? grin

chukwuibuipob:
sadmay we not see EVIL Indian, Pakistan, Chinese/Arabs.

God forbid

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by iykofias(m): 4:24pm On Jun 23, 2022
iamezekwesiri:
Working with the Chinese will put your english fluency in jeopardy... you will forget your lexicons and replace dem with "i go , i come, i eat, i bath etc...

all these Third world multinationals sef with their useless extreme capitalist tendencies still go coat you IELTS if you spend above 3 years with them.
the first paragraph is so true

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by CaptainAyub: 4:28pm On Jun 23, 2022
YoungDaNaval:
Worked with an Indonesian boss, he's a very nice and friendly man. Worked with a Romanian, this one no get issue, just that he's too holy, you know all these deeper life and choosen kind of holy? Lol

Worked with a Georgian, this one na guy man, I dey give am babes steady.

Worked with a Ukrainian, Omo this one na werey, always acting like he's on drugs, person wey Una dey gist dey laugh the next minute, he Don Change am for you grin

Oh Les I forget, worked with a Croatian, that one dey target my nyash but God pass am. He get luck, I nearly overboard the werey one day cheesy
Overboard grin grin

1 Like

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by chukwuibuipob: 4:32pm On Jun 23, 2022
Moneyyman:
Amen, senior man.

Be like them show you shege ba? grin

nope
Never work with any of them but going by my neighbour bitter experience in those pipu hand

1 Like

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by Saladdin: 4:35pm On Jun 23, 2022
[quote author=tillaman post=114086181] If you have ever worked for an Egyptian dominated company then you will know the difference between AC and Fan[/quote

@tillaman and iamezekwesiri grin grin

My own advise is that no matter how much of a hard worker you are, never work for a Lebanese, Chinese and Indian/Pakistani. In short avoid Asian companies and bosses. Negative experiences abound, and thousands of Nigerians cannot be wrong including me.

7 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by johnpablo541(m): 4:35pm On Jun 23, 2022
So I worked for an American remotely, it was a full time gig. We usually have zoom meetings every morning to talk about yesterday's task and talk a little about today's task. ( the zoom meetings tire me i swear)

What I noticed about them is that they relate with you like you are their friend, love keeping up with time, and hate unnecessary excuses.

They have the most polite way of laying someone off.

The guy sacked me one time, cos I chatted him up to make a complain about the work we were doing that something wasn't working well.

He said i should jump on zoom so he shares his screen to explain the stuff to me, but I refused and told him that we can sort it out tomorrow morning.

Oga come vex say what was my reason for raising the issue when I don't want it to be solved then. Next morning i tried to login, I no get access again. Checked my mail and one long letter dey wait for me.

24 Likes

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by Dripy(m): 4:35pm On Jun 23, 2022
I have worked with Lebanese, Indian and Chinese bosses... experiences plenty cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses by Redpillar(m): 4:37pm On Jun 23, 2022
johnpablo541:
So I worked for an American remotely, it was a full time gig. We usually have zoom meetings every morning to talk about yesterday's task and talk a little about today's task. ( the zoom meetings tire me i swear)

What I noticed about them is that they relate with you like you are their friend, love keeping up with time, and hate unnecessary excuses.

They have the most polite way of laying someone off.

The guy sacked me one time, cos I chatted him up to make a complain about the work we were doing that something wasn't working well.

He said i should jump on zoom so he shares his screen to explain the stuff to me, but I refused and told him that we can sort it out tomorrow morning.

Oga come vex say what was my reason for raising the issue when I don't want it to be solved then. Next morning i tried to login, I no get access again. Checked my mail and one long letter dey wait for me.

My own jejely removed me from Slack. grin

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Earn $250-$500 Per Month From Google Admob App Self / For Unemployed Graduates ONLY / Seven Important CV Parts That Needs More Attention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.