Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

Share Your First Job Experience - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Share Your First Job Experience (11234 Views)

Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses / My First Job Experience After School As A Lady. / 33yrs, ND Holder Without Job Experience ;any Hope? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by ibechris(m): 10:44am On Jun 23, 2022
Same as me.
4 years experience!

Worked in a mortgage bank in Abuja and to say the least,it was a horrible experience never to go back to and I thank my stars that I learnt how to make money while i was there and today,have a govt job and side income by the side.

5 Likes

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by juniorstar(m): 10:46am On Jun 23, 2022
Pojomojo:
Some years ago I was a young fresh graduate out from camp and fresh to the labor market years, fresh from university and got employed as a mortgage banker in a local bank in Lagos. On top of my salary, I had commission income, transport and entertainment allowances. It was good right? But not all that glitter is gold.

However six months into it I was disappointed. I realized that rosy picture I painted of work life in the finance sector was born of artlessness. Underneath that suit and immaculate appearance, I was just a saleswoman, advertising one peddling products I could not even convince myself to buy.

I also felt like I was doubling up as a club hostess peddling my services to clients, in this case they were property agents, and bribing them with fine food and alcohol in a bid to get engaged for mortgage advisory services in the event of a successful home sale. This happened on an almost daily basis. I found it absurd I spent 4 years studying accounting that turned out to have little to do with my job.

People at work were miserable. Humiliation was a tactic used to encourage sales performance. Tight date lines sent everyone panicking, which you’ve to deliver. I was told some would sleep with property agents to get business. How true I don’t know but I wouldn’t be surprised. It was a lot of money if you did well.

It was a bitchy industry. I was not sociable and didn’t try to get along with most of the bankers. Probably one reason why I was the victim of horrible rumor's.

The story went that I accused my mentor, someone I held in high regard, of raping me after I tried to seduce him and got rejected. That was sick. I never did any of those things; never seduced him, never accused him. I then knew why he avoided me for the longest time. Since we had never spent enough time for him to know me enough to know I wouldn’t sink that low, he likely believed them more.

Sexual harassment was common. I think because many of the women were fine with sexual exchanges, the men assumed all of the women wouldn’t mind their advances. Of course not all the men were disrespectful. A few did come to my aid at various times.

I felt that the environment negatively impacted everyone. There was a lot of money to be made and it led to people becoming mercenary, selfish, backstabbing, demeaning, those who were not, were also affected like me.

I felt my mental-wellbeing under constant attacks and it affected my personality. I was distrusting and temperamental. It hurt the interactions with people I was close to. In distress, I seek the solace of short term pleasures, consoling myself with the food and alcohol that was always on offer, but I only felt worse. My self-esteemed dipped. I was not proud of the person I had become. At some point I realized this was not living. No amount of money was worth selling my soul. I left after 2 years into the job.

You see, our work life has a huge influence on other areas of life. If you feel constantly feel shitty at work, this negatively influences your character and colors everything else you do. If you feel good at work, your moods will positively impact other areas of your life. Therefore, choose your work wisely.

However I am really grateful to that experience because I learnt so much about life and how to better identify the right career path for myself in such a short time and at an early stage of my life. It’s all good.

Thank you NL for letting me share my story

How was your first job experience like? Kindly share your story.
My first job was tutoring kids after school in their houses.. did it for 7 kids( family one 4 the other 3)and and 1 adult preparing for wassce and jamb..did it while seeking admission into med school..used most of the money to buy books advanced engineering maths the 2 of them can't remember their names again I think shroud and the more advanced type. cos my love for maths knew no bound and paid for my sister gce then. Was close to 17k monthly like 11yrs ago.

7 Likes

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by IyaTola: 10:51am On Jun 23, 2022
Microwhy:
Generally, work is a scam..
Sit in your home and supply something to consumer.
Freelancing, Service provider anything everything.
True, so what can you supply to me
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by IyaTola: 10:53am On Jun 23, 2022
HiideaConsole:
Patiently following this thread

I need am fa
Currently serving the nation. I'd like to learn from other people's experience how the outside life dey be true true o

Because ehn, what I'm seeing above so far is scary
it's actually scariest when you out of service

3 Likes

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Darey00(m): 11:02am On Jun 23, 2022
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Chris2863(m): 11:05am On Jun 23, 2022
grin grin Frustration don hit you already. I suggest you get help biko
KingOfTheDamned:
Here is mine..

If you are bored watch a movie or listen to music...what does my work history concern you? Can't you mind your business?

Oga please get a job mbok . Didn't bother reading yours because like most sensible people, I don't care

Bye

4 Likes

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Chris2863(m): 11:09am On Jun 23, 2022
KingOfTheDamned:

Madam, we weren't talking about frustrated, over aged, will die alone, below average looking , stank nasty women... If we were then you would definitely have been a reference point.

Until that discourse begins pls refrain from quoting me.

Thank you
you need to go back to school please. Your entire sentences make no sense…………..! It seems you dropped out of school grin

6 Likes

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Oyindamolah: 11:12am On Jun 23, 2022
grin
Chris2863:
you need to go back to school please. Your entire sentences make no sense…………..! It seems you dropped out of school grin
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Honchoslim16(m): 11:15am On Jun 23, 2022
Omo.. my first job then i was a Teacher at one upcoming Secondary school.
I think say teacher job na soft work.. But na lie for all this small schools!

Imagine, me and the school owner agreed on 15k as a Biology teacher.
Before I knew it, I was already teaching Biology, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Geography, Basic Science, Basic Technology.. On top 15K!
I was just mentally unbalanced,for a period of time!
LAS LAS I JAPA !
She was still begging me to come back.

5 Likes

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by parkervero(m): 11:18am On Jun 23, 2022
Microwhy:
Generally, work is a scam..
Sit in your home and supply something to consumer.
Freelancing, Service provider anything everything.
Say job is a scam not work.

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by RepoMan007: 11:23am On Jun 23, 2022
First job palaver is always somewhat adventurous.
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by ukaface(f): 11:25am On Jun 23, 2022
My first job was after school of nursing. Got a pay of 40k. It was first job ever as a RN, I had to toughen up and be a RN and as head of shift even though the matron was always around though she never does shit only to sit her fat ass and give commands, belittle whoever and whenever. I had issues understanding the rules of HMO,and then there was the issue of insisting patients pay their consultation money befor seeing the doctor and most times I chop insults from them when I follow the rules of not passing them to the doctor without pay, cos laslas Na my salary go suffer. It wasn't funny there though. I remember one stupid doctor wey Japa with my 5k after he tell me heaven and earth say he broke.
Finally left during the pandemic, as they didn't bother about staff safety.

7 Likes

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by KingOfTheDamned: 11:32am On Jun 23, 2022
Chris2863:
grin grin Frustration don hit you already. I suggest you get help biko

This one is angry I abused homosexual men grin

We understand grin

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by KingOfTheDamned: 11:32am On Jun 23, 2022
Chris2863:

This one is angry I abused homosexual men grin

We understand grin
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by idu1(m): 11:39am On Jun 23, 2022
ukaface:
My first job was after school of nursing. Got a pay of 40k. It was first job ever as a RN, I had to toughen up and be a RN and as head of shift even though the matron was always around though she never does shit only to sit her fat ass and give commands, belittle whoever and whenever. I had issues understanding the rules of HMO,and then there was the issue of insisting patients pay their consultation money befor seeing the doctor and most times I chop insults from them when I follow the rules of not passing them to the doctor without pay, cos laslas Na my salary go suffer. It wasn't funny there though. I remember one stupid doctor wey Japa with my 5k after he tell me heaven and earth say he broke.
Finally left during the pandemic, as they didn't bother about staff safety.

Where are you working now?
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by bunmitepresh(f): 11:47am On Jun 23, 2022
gsparks01:
my first job experience was actually awesome. It came during the covid pandemic so I was working from home as a CSR. I hate calls and by God's working, I wasn't put in the calls team. All I did was respond to emails and chats. Started as an intern with pay of 70k, then full-time, pay increased to 150 excluding other benefits.

I resigned to focus on programming. Now got another remote job doing what I like.
Pls…I have been applying to CSR jobs (remote) roles but I get feedback that they are recruiting for residents in the country…Pls enlighten me about how you apply. Can I chat with you,if you don’t mind
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by ukaface(f): 11:50am On Jun 23, 2022
idu1:

Where are you working now?
japa
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by MZEE01: 11:57am On Jun 23, 2022
Ok
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by nwakibie3(m): 12:01pm On Jun 23, 2022
ukaface:
japa

Good decision Lol...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Rexymania(m): 12:03pm On Jun 23, 2022
Nice one. I will share my story later

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Oyindamolah: 12:04pm On Jun 23, 2022
It is good to be happy for people who are doing well.

Dangote is doing well, but some people will never see anything good in him. Probably because they are surprised that a man with just a diploma in business will control so much wealth and influence.

Tony is also doing well, but some people will not see anything good in him probably because they graduated at the same time and joined the labour market at the same time but he is now a multi millionaire in any currency.

Seun Osewa of Nairaland is also doing well, but some people won't see anything good in him probably because he dropped out from Ife but he is controlling so much wealth at a relative young age

3 Likes

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by idu1(m): 12:07pm On Jun 23, 2022
ukaface:
japa

That's good. UK or USA?

Was it with only your RN certificate or you obtain additional qualifications?
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Weneda(m): 12:11pm On Jun 23, 2022
blazingblender:
Bakery work was shit
Just finished secondary and wanted something doing
Mehn na so I start de find work like mad man
Well it paid off in three days time I got an offer to work in a bakery for 15k
Mehn the work was big time stressful
People who have worked in a bakery factory can relate
Especially night workers
And I was permanently night

Mehn my body tell
I would work through out the night from 5pm till 7am
Gosh they was a time we worked from Saturday night on till Mondayday morning we no rest I developed serious back pain cus if that work ooh
And on top the manager will make you do the work of the other female stafffs cus he believes women are not meant to be stressed ... So na me like stress abi??
Carrying of bags of flour everyday was a norm
Atleast you will carry 7 bags of flour into the main factory everyday before you start working
Only God knows
They was a December I stayed they till 31st night through out that 31st night I was working in the factory till the following morning which was 1st January
You can imagine ..when others where shouting happy new year I was sweating my ass for another man's pocket

.to all the factory workers reading this God is yiur strength ...save up and start something new please..
It's to stressful
My brother i can relate with everything u said nd is true. Factory job is synonymous to modern day slavery. Mostly dat night shit eh, can't imagine working from 6pm to 3am. After everything u dash me peanut. Some production Managers can be very very wicked. I thought Chinese/Lebanese managers re wicked till i saw our Nigeria managers. Worked for two months nd i quit. Factory job is a job to remember!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Grantedgold8(m): 12:17pm On Jun 23, 2022
blazingblender:
Bakery work was shit
Just finished secondary and wanted something doing
Mehn na so I start de find work like mad man
Well it paid off in three days time I got an offer to work in a bakery for 15k
Mehn the work was big time stressful
People who have worked in a bakery factory can relate
Especially night workers
And I was permanently night
Mehn my body tell
I would work through out the night from 5pm till 7am
Gosh they was a time we worked from Saturday night on till Mondayday morning we no rest I developed serious back pain cus if that work ooh
And on top the manager will make you do the work of the other female stafffs cus he believes women are not meant to be stressed ... So na me like stress abi??
Carrying of bags of flour everyday was a norm
Atleast you will carry 7 bags of flour into the main factory everyday before you start working
Only God knows
They was a December I stayed they till 31st night through out that 31st night I was working in the factory till the following morning which was 1st January
You can imagine ..when others where shouting happy new year I was sweating my ass for another man's pocket

.to all the factory workers reading this God is yiur strength ...save up and start something new please..
It's to stressful

Just as if you are telling people about my experience, nothing in this life can take me back to bakery work by God's Grace.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Bahamas95(m): 12:17pm On Jun 23, 2022
LaptopDeals:
LETS'S VOTE

LIKE for TINUBU or ATIKU
SHARE for OBI
I wish Nairaland has "none" button.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by blazingblender(m): 12:22pm On Jun 23, 2022
Weneda:

My brother i can relate with everything u said nd is true. Factory job is synonymous to modern day slavery. Mostly dat night shit eh, can't imagine working from 6pm to 3am.
6pm - 3am is better na
Mine was 5pm - 7am
About 15hrs of work

5 Likes

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Weneda(m): 12:24pm On Jun 23, 2022
KingOfTheDamned:
Here is mine..

If you are bored watch a movie or listen to music...what does my work history concern you? Can't you mind your business?

Oga please get a job mbok . Didn't bother reading yours because like most sensible people, I don't care

Bye
Must u type, the best thing as mature man if u re is to ignore, simple!
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by gsparks01(m): 12:27pm On Jun 23, 2022
bunmitepresh:

Pls…I have been applying to CSR jobs (remote) roles but I get feedback that they are recruiting for residents in the country…Pls enlighten me about how you apply. Can I chat with you,if you don’t mind
the company I worked for is a Nigerian company in Nigeria though. Covid prevented working at the office.
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by olamilarks(m): 12:30pm On Jun 23, 2022
Does work done for ones parent count as a job or I should just start with my first real job of teaching in a private Muslim primary School?

The Muslim school it is!

I had just finished National Diploma

Pay was for 12k.

Duties included:
Class teacher + lesson planner for primary 4.
Computer teacher for the whole school.

Proprietor saw me driving my mother's car one weekend, he taught me how to drive manual transmission, I started driving the school bus with a chaperone, one day chaperone didn't show up, I picked the bus on my own and took the children home, I somehow got stuck on a slippery road, school owners were really mad at me. Chaperone got the driving job, I didn't know it was his plan all along.

They had a shortage of teachers at a point, they called three of us for a meeting, we got additional classes + additional lesson notes for extra 5k. Other staff where envious lol!

It was really hard work. Riot type fighting broke out in the community and I left with my fam, my oga called after some weeks said we should come and set exam questions that everywhere was now calm, I refused, they didn't pay me for my last month, I called and threatened him on phone, he got scared and reported me at the police station.

The school got me into a romantic relationship with Islamic faith lol!
I'm glad for that impetus that made me move, person for don become career teacher bayii!
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by ukaface(f): 12:32pm On Jun 23, 2022
idu1:

That's good. UK or USA?

Was it with only your RN certificate or you obtain additional qualifications?
U.K

yeah, just my RN certificate.
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by gokesoye: 12:32pm On Jun 23, 2022
My first work experience is in a microfinance bank.

Similar to yours.

Damn I resigned after 6 months.

I was so depressed that I almost turned a drunkard

5 Likes

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by idu1(m): 12:38pm On Jun 23, 2022
ukaface:
U.K

yeah, just my RN certificate.
My younger sister is a newly qualified RN. I'm looking for a way for her to start the process. Thanks for your time friend.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

(help About Shell Appointment Letter) / Why The Surge Of Job Dissatisfaction In Nigeria / What Helped You Get That Job.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.