Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,615 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

Share Your First Job Experience - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Share Your First Job Experience (11233 Views)

Share Your Job Experience Working With Foreign Bosses / My First Job Experience After School As A Lady. / 33yrs, ND Holder Without Job Experience ;any Hope? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Saladdin: 12:38pm On Jun 23, 2022
My first job experience was bitter and sweet, as I was exposed to the REAL human character in raw, negative form. And boy it was unpalatable. cry

SWEET in the sense that I got the job as a freshly minted graduate and earning way above lots of my contemporaries, with awesome allowances attached. Little did I know that I would be in for a shock.

BITTER in the sense that I lasted a little over one year because the ANIMAL FARM style reared its major head where some animals are more equal than the other.

I rose pretty fast and accomplished feats (2 actually) which none of my predecessors ever accomplished in the company. I was the least equipped in aspects of human and vehicular resources when we started out and was only attracting criticism from what is apparently no fault of mine, while the rest of my colleagues were given juicier roles, locations and adequate resources.

After a while, fortune turned around and it was clear that I was performing far above my colleagues in almost every way and this attracted the anger and envy of my immediate superiors especially when the Head of our unit praised me in front of them and everyone else. A setup went underway, and I was on my way out of the company, just few months to getting a promotion and bonuses.
I was out of the job and as they say "hunger, an empty pocket and a broken heart teaches the best lessons of life" those factors applied to me, and I learnt my lessons o.

LESSONS
1. Office politics is very real (wicked and envious people engage in it physically and spiritually), and it can turn real nasty if you don't want to indulge in it. I never engaged in it, and wanted to be the easy going fella everyone liked...naive me.

2. In Nigeria, nepotism, religious bigotry and tribalism are real factors that can aid or block your way in the corporate work. It could be very apparent or subtle, but it'll always exist a little somehow. Most of my senior colleagues in a particular region I came from were laid of for the same offense another set of senior colleagues from the dominant tribe in the company engaged in. Again, all animals are not equal.

3. Stereotypes are real! I was able to leave the whole company stupefied because they believed those from that part of the country cannot be that competent language wise and performance wise.

4. When a woman is your immediate boss, start counting your days in that organization especially if you're competent, not from her clique and not ready to kiss her ass. After change of Management, women dominated bulk of the juiciest position. The result was evident, sacking, sacking and more sacking of anyone (internal or external) who'll not do their bidding. Also a high staff turnover and disgruntled customers everywhere.

5. It's good to work for organizations with good structure and less vices, but you'll never go wrong if you venture out on your own, for peace of mind and prosperity. I've taken this advise myself and currently working on that.

Thanks...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Oyindamolah: 12:38pm On Jun 23, 2022
shocked
gokesoye:
My first work experience is in a microfinance bank.

Similar to yours.

Damn I resigned after 6 months.

I was so depressed that I almost turned a drunkard
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Oyindamolah: 12:40pm On Jun 23, 2022
idu1:

That's good. UK or USA?

Was it with only your RN certificate or you obtain additional qualifications?
Nurses are in high demand in those countries. My younger sister left last month RN ONLY
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by thugthang(m): 12:40pm On Jun 23, 2022
blazingblender:
Bakery work was shit
Just finished secondary and wanted something doing
Mehn na so I start de find work like mad man
Well it paid off in three days time I got an offer to work in a bakery for 15k
Mehn the work was big time stressful
People who have worked in a bakery factory can relate
Especially night workers
And I was permanently night
Mehn my body tell
I would work through out the night from 5pm till 7am
Gosh they was a time we worked from Saturday night on till Mondayday morning we no rest I developed serious back pain cus if that work ooh
And on top the manager will make you do the work of the other female stafffs cus he believes women are not meant to be stressed ... So na me like stress abi??
Carrying of bags of flour everyday was a norm
Atleast you will carry 7 bags of flour into the main factory everyday before you start working
Only God knows
They was a December I stayed they till 31st night through out that 31st night I was working in the factory till the following morning which was 1st January
You can imagine ..when others where shouting happy new year I was sweating my ass for another man's pocket

.to all the factory workers reading this God is yiur strength ...save up and start something new please..
It's to stressful
I can relate bro...It affected my mental wellbeing. My salary was 5k then that was 2014 in warri with 250 daily feeding fee

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Oyindamolah: 12:45pm On Jun 23, 2022
medropoly:
Mine was after my secondary school, I got a job as a server in a cyber cafe/business centre , the pay was small though (10k) but looked huge to me then as a student without even waec results grin ... I got to blend well and we very fast, I was even customers favourite cheesy I made money on a daily basis as I was been Gifted remaining change from customers and I also took corner jobs wink
... Though couldn't save much grin
Why couldn't you save
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Moneyyman: 12:47pm On Jun 23, 2022
OP, unless I am having dejavu, I have read this piece somewhere before! Over a year ago, I guess!

Why are you claiming it as yours?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Oyindamolah: 12:47pm On Jun 23, 2022
shocked What did I just read? And people want to vote Atiku or Tinubu
thugthang:
I can relate bro...It affected my mental wellbeing. My salary was 5k then that was 2014 in warri with 250 daily feeding fee
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by NosaH(m): 12:49pm On Jun 23, 2022
LaptopDeals:
LETS'S VOTE

LIKE for TINUBU or ATIKU
SHARE for OBI
[/b] OBI KERENKE cool[b]

2 Likes

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by oluigbo3(m): 12:53pm On Jun 23, 2022
KingOfTheDamned:
Here is mine..

If you are bored watch a movie or listen to music...what does my work history concern you? Can't you mind your business?

Oga please get a job mbok . Didn't bother reading yours because like most sensible people, I don't care

Bye

You need to drink sniper and rest!

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by HiideaConsole(m): 12:54pm On Jun 23, 2022
Omo

Abeg no scare me jare

I actually just want to know not so that I can prepare my mind to join the suffering o

But probably to start taking precautions

But is it really as bad as that nih

Make I continue reading sha

IyaTola:
it's actually scariest when you out of service

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Alaganature09(m): 1:14pm On Jun 23, 2022
jericco1:
My first job was as a computer operator. The pay was 8k, Omo at the time I couldn't reject because I was a fresh graduate but I wanted to learn and my employer at the time was bothered and also a nice person so he increased it to 12k. However after two months I got a better offer of 42k monthly so I left. Omo never despise the days of little beginnings o

Abeg make you connect me too ooo cos I’m seeking for a job o

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by ukaface(f): 1:15pm On Jun 23, 2022
idu1:
My younger sister is a newly qualified RN. I'm looking for a way for her to start the process. Thanks for your time friend.
alright, no qualms
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Glowqueen3(f): 1:15pm On Jun 23, 2022
Hmmmn my first job was teaching,l was understudying a primary 4 teacher and she thought she would be dismissed and l would be given her job so this old witch made up bad stories about me and started spreading it around.last last l became a teacher in another school and pay was meagre but l never give up.

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by idu1(m): 1:15pm On Jun 23, 2022
Oyindamolah:
Nurses are in high demand in those countries. My younger sister left last month RN ONLY
wow. Can you tell me the starting procedures?

Nurses thread on travel section is cumbersome to read.
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Chris2863(m): 1:21pm On Jun 23, 2022
Still dropping your jargon grin grin
KingOfTheDamned:

This one is angry I abused homosexual men grin

We understand grin
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 1:45pm On Jun 23, 2022
My first job was a "marketing role" at NIIT, Surulere. Just graduated from high school and needed to get some bucks. Not like the cash was even substantial, but I just needed to leave home. Our job was to go out and bring notable clients who could register for their courses or at least bring their wards. It was so fun.

When I was about to leave the job, I and a few other competent staff got a free scholarship courtesy of NIIT to study "Programming and App development" but I didn't know what Tech was at the time.

Ignorance and youthful exuberance didn't allow me to take it. I also didn't have anyone to mentor me. Was just a young teen overwhelmed by ephemeral fun and waste. Seeing now that Tech is the future, I regret my actions. It's not too late, though. Already towing that part.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by The5DME(m): 1:58pm On Jun 23, 2022
My very first job was post secondary school. I got a job in an e-commerce company at Ikeja where we were tasked with uploading products to the company's website. The pay was 22k back then sha. For someone who just left secondary school back then; I considered that a lot of money. But I only worked there for three months though.
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Empredboy(m): 2:06pm On Jun 23, 2022
blazingblender:
Bakery work was shit
Just finished secondary and wanted something doing
Mehn na so I start de find work like mad man
Well it paid off in three days time I got an offer to work in a bakery for 15k
Mehn the work was big time stressful
People who have worked in a bakery factory can relate
Especially night workers
And I was permanently night
Mehn my body tell
I would work through out the night from 5pm till 7am
Gosh they was a time we worked from Saturday night on till Mondayday morning we no rest I developed serious back pain cus if that work ooh
And on top the manager will make you do the work of the other female stafffs cus he believes women are not meant to be stressed ... So na me like stress abi??
Carrying of bags of flour everyday was a norm
Atleast you will carry 7 bags of flour into the main factory everyday before you start working
Only God knows
They was a December I stayed they till 31st night through out that 31st night I was working in the factory till the following morning which was 1st January
You can imagine ..when others where shouting happy new year I was sweating my ass for another man's pocket

.to all the factory workers reading this God is yiur strength ...save up and start something new please..
It's to stressful
it's because the bakery is not using modern equipment. With the modern equipment 1 person can do 4 bags of flour.
From mixing of the flour to milling to cutting then moulding and baking. Just 1 person will do. Thanks to technology
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Habinibi: 2:21pm On Jun 23, 2022
gsparks01:
my first job experience was actually awesome. It came during the peak of the covid pandemic so I was working from home as a CSR. I hate calls and by God's working, I wasn't put in the calls team. All I did was respond to emails and chats. Started as an intern with pay of 70k, then full-time, pay increased to 150 excluding other benefits.

I resigned to focus on programming. Now got another remote job doing what I like.

I like this experience of yours. Please boss can you link me up to start working as an intern also. I am currently jobless and seeking for opportunities.
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Olibboy: 2:30pm On Jun 23, 2022
How did you apply for remote work
gsparks01:
my first job experience was actually awesome. It came during the peak of the covid pandemic so I was working from home as a CSR. I hate calls and by God's working, I wasn't put in the calls team. All I did was respond to emails and chats. Started as an intern with pay of 70k, then full-time, pay increased to 150 excluding other benefits.

I resigned to focus on programming. Now got another remote job doing what I like.
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Musty112: 2:53pm On Jun 23, 2022
Saladdin:
My first job experience was bitter and sweet, as I was exposed to the REAL human character. And boy it was unpalatable. cry

SWEET in the sense that I got the job as a freshly minted graduate and earning way above lots of my contemporaries, with awesome allowances attached. Little did I know that I would be in for a shock.

BITTER in the sense that I lasted a little over one year because the ANIMAL FARM style reared its major head where some animals are more equal than the other.

I rose pretty fast and accomplished feats (2 actually) which none of my predecessors ever accomplished in the company. I was the least equipped when we started out and was only attracting criticism, while the rest of my colleagues were given juicier roles and locations.

After a while, It was clear that I was performing far above my colleagues in almost every way and this attracted the anger and envy of my immediate superiors especially when the Head of our unit praised me in front of them and everyone else. A setup went underway, and I was on my way out of the company, just few months to getting a promotion and bonuses.
I was out of the job and as they say "hunger, and empty pocket and a broken heart teaches the best lessons of life" those factors applied to me, and I learnt my lessons o.

LESSONS
1. Office politics is very real (wicked and envious people engage in it physically and spiritually), and it can turn real nasty if you don't want to indulge in it. I never engaged in it, and wanted to be the easy going fella everyone liked...naive me.

2. In Nigeria, nepotism, religious bigotry and tribalism are real factors that can aid or block your way in the corporate work. It could be very apparent or subtle, but it'll always exist a little somehow. Most of my senior colleagues in a particular region I came from were laid of for the same offense another set of senior colleagues from the dominant tribe in the company engaged in. Again, all animals are not equal.

3. Stereotypes are real! I was able to leave the whole company stupefied because they believed those from that part of the country cannot be that competent language wise and performance wise.

4. When a woman is your immediate boss, start counting your days in that organization especially if you're not from her competent, not from her clique and not ready to kiss her ass. After change of Management, women dominated bulk of the juiciest position. The result was evident, sacking, sacking and more sacking of anyone (internal or external who'll not do their bidding. Also a high staff turnover and disgruntled customers everywhere.

5. It's good to work for organizations with good structure and less vices, but you'll never go wrong if you venture out on your own, for peace of mind and prosperity. I've taken this advise myself and currently working on that.

Thanks...

The stereotype? Northerners aren't supposed to understand english right?
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by FuckHomophobes: 2:59pm On Jun 23, 2022
My first real job. I just got out of secondary school. My pastor wife just called and asked me to go to the construction company CCECC and meet her brother.

Got there and the brother just assigned me to the surveying department. Me that was even thinking I would be given labour.

It was shocking to everyone but thank goodness for my height, dem for Shenk me.

It wasn't up to two weeks, we got transferred to another location close to seme border.

Nah there I take sabi what it's like to be away from home and fight for your life.

Pay was decent for surveyors but as per no responsibility then, I was always sending it home grin

3 Likes

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by blazingblender(m): 3:29pm On Jun 23, 2022
Empredboy:
it's because the bakery is not using modern equipment. With the modern equipment 1 person can do 4 bags of flour.
From mixing of the flour to milling to cutting then moulding and baking. Just 1 person will do. Thanks to technology
baba You don work for bakery be4??
This one is a standard bakery
Not even those ones de use handmilling
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by membranus: 3:34pm On Jun 23, 2022
Moneyyman:
OP, unless I am having dejavu, I have read this piece somewhere before! Over a year ago, I guess!

Why are you claiming it as yours?

Yes, not a new story.

Been on Nairaland before.
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Saladdin: 4:21pm On Jun 23, 2022
Musty112:

The stereotype? Northerners aren't supposed to understand english right?

Yes bro, plus the fact that a Northerner performs excellently well in tasks/activities they are supposedly not 'competent' to perform.
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Tundex911: 4:26pm On Jun 23, 2022
Everyday is a learning day
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Orochimaru247: 5:13pm On Jun 23, 2022
My first job experience was fun, eyes opening and stressful..

I worked in a private owned laboratory in Lagos.. shortly after I finished secondary school..I was 18yrs then

I applied for the post of an office assistant...but I did all manner of jobs.., dispatch, marketer, store keeping, cleaner..all in the name of office assistant

The pay was 16k monthly...later increased to 18k after a year....( After much complaining)...
Although tips were coming on a daily basis..
Most times after calculation,tips were almost twice my salary..( as a sharp guy....my boss was wondering..he was paying me peanut yet didn't complain,...warri no dey Carry Last....

I worked for 1 Year six months

Time was 8am - 8pm.. most times.. I usually work till 10pm sometimes 11pm at night...
Due to the fact that my house was close to my work place.. .

Until I was sacked..by my boss wife..

Although I already anticipated it coming so I was well prepared, I had packed all my CV,my stuff.,so on the day of my sacking..I purposely came late 3hrs late,walked in like a boss.. the letter was served by his wife. She was so overwhelmed, thinking I will beg .lol, me way don collect my salary...I just went in to carry my charger i forgot...I moved...

Reason for my Termination..
I was in charge of setting up the computer in the lab....so my boss wife didn't set up the computer well...I corrected her and told her she got it wrong...na there my wahala start..

She was like..how could this secondary school brat.. tell me what to do on computers..(cause she was studying oracle in school then..)...I told her I have been playing with computers from my early age. She assumed I was trying to show off..or dragging shoulder with her...

Since then she made my work life hell ..

Things I learnt..

One man business is not a good place to work for long as an ambitious person, you might lose your dreams in process

Your boss will always seek to exploit you in any way possible..

In most marriage..men are the gears, women are the steering wheel... where ever the steering wheel turns the gear most follow

Lastly...

Your boss wife is either a GOLD MINE. or a LANDMINE, as an man if you are not sure of the one she is... its better you avoid her at all costs..she can be the sole reason for projection..or depression in life...

****When one door closes.. two more open.....

Thanks

6 Likes

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by Empredboy(m): 5:29pm On Jun 23, 2022
blazingblender:
baba You don work for bakery be4??
This one is a standard bakery
Not even those ones de use handmilling
I own one sir. The mixer and the miller are automated while the improver machine and the oven are mobile. From the mixing to slicing won't take up to 4 hrs to bake 4 bags by one person. Technology has gone far.
For you to bake all night that means they milled in the morning while they rest during the day then start baking in the evening while midnight after the bread had cooled down they then sliced.
That's old school. Modern bakeries done bake overnight again. They close regular time other staff close and start the same time yet they meet up with the day production.

6 Likes

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by gsparks01(m): 5:30pm On Jun 23, 2022
Olibboy:
How did you apply for remote work
I applied for the job on LinkedIn and it turned out to be remote.

1 Like

Re: Share Your First Job Experience by gsparks01(m): 5:33pm On Jun 23, 2022
Habinibi:

I like this experience of yours. Please boss can you link me up to start working as an intern also. I am currently jobless and seeking for opportunities.
sorry I don't have any connections
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by thugthang(m): 6:05pm On Jun 23, 2022
Oyindamolah:
shocked What did I just read? And people want to vote Atiku or Tinubu
Insha Allah Peter Obi all the way
Re: Share Your First Job Experience by abdulwassi(m): 6:24pm On Jun 23, 2022
Please oh someone should help me out, I really need a job..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why The Surge Of Job Dissatisfaction In Nigeria / (help About Shell Appointment Letter) / What Helped You Get That Job.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.