Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,696 members, 7,805,856 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:24 AM

Is Dog A True Carnivore? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Is Dog A True Carnivore? (504 Views)

Is Dog Business Still Profitable In 2023? / End Time Dog: A Dog Seen Smoking, Causes Stir Online (Photos) / Meet Karik My First Caucasian Dog.... A Diary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Dog A True Carnivore? by duro4chang(m): 6:26pm On Jun 24, 2022
When we were in school, I was taught that a carnivore is an animal that eat only flesh , a herbivore eats plants only and omnivore eats both flesh and plants. Dog, ilon, tiger leopard were given as examples of carnivores. My observation is that in my village we rear dogs and these dogs hadly see flesh to eat. We eat the same food such as amala, pounded yam, rice, fufu, semo, biscuits, plantain etc. They have never complained or rejected the food we give them and the food did not react negatively on them. What can we say then? Is it adaptation or what? They even eat human shit yet they are agile.

1 Like

Re: Is Dog A True Carnivore? by aysuprano(m): 7:14pm On Jun 24, 2022
That is evolution, most animals evolve to adapt to thier environment for survival, their wild ancestors are (wolves)carnivorous animals and thier canine still proves that, but due to the fact that they’ve been domesticated by humans they have learnt to eat and digest whatever is given to them, not just dogs, chicken are known to eat grains but now they eat almost anything, animals like gorillas are naturally herbivores but they’ve evolved into hunting and eating flesh for survival, animal evolution is a constant

3 Likes

Re: Is Dog A True Carnivore? by ciro11(m): 8:23pm On Jun 24, 2022
Dogs are omnivores, they don't only depend on flesh for food, they still feed on plants

1 Like

Re: Is Dog A True Carnivore? by duro4chang(m): 8:29pm On Jun 24, 2022
ciro11:
Dogs are omnivores, they don't only depend on flesh for food, they still feed on plants
Many people will not agree with you aswear.
Re: Is Dog A True Carnivore? by Rany4all(m): 8:05pm On Jun 25, 2022
duro4chang:
When we were in school, I was taught that a carnivore is an animal that eat only flesh , a herbivore eats plants only and omnivore eats both flesh and plants. Dog, ilon, tiger leopard were given as examples of carnivores. My observation is that in my village we rear dogs and these dogs hadly see flesh to eat. We eat the same food such as amala, pounded yam, rice, fufu, semo, biscuits, plantain etc. They have never complained or rejected the food we give them and the food did not react negatively on them. What can we say then? Is it adaptation or what? They even eat human shit yet they are agile.
That classification is secondary school stuff. Classification of animals according to feeding habits has gone far beyond just those 3 broad classes. Carnivores can be further classified into Hypercarnivores with more than 70% of their diet as meat, Mesocarnivores with 30 - 70% meat in their diet, and then there are Hypocarnivores that have less than 30% meat in their diet. There are also Obligate Carnivores that feed exclusively on meat. Dogs are definitely not Obligate Carnivores, but can still be classified as carnivores under one of the other subclasses depending on amount of meat required in their diet.

Omnivores, on the other hand, are termed "all eaters" which means they can feed on virtually all kinds of living things including animals, plants, fungi and even bacteria. Dogs aren't omnivores, they are Carnivores, just not Obligate Carnivores. Dazzol.

2 Likes

Re: Is Dog A True Carnivore? by harmargedon: 9:03pm On Jun 25, 2022
duro4chang:
they're not, their body has the ability to digest other foods, compared to their relatives the wolves that cannot eat anything apart from meat.
Re: Is Dog A True Carnivore? by oluwaseyi0: 1:51pm On Jul 02, 2022
Rany4all:
That classification is secondary school stuff. Classification of animals according to feeding habits has gone far beyond just those 3 broad classes. Carnivores can be further classified into Hypercarnivores with more than 70% of their diet as meat, Mesocarnivores with 30 - 70% meat in their diet, and then there are Hypocarnivores that have less than 30% meat in their diet. There are also Obligate Carnivores that feed exclusively on meat. Dogs are definitely not Obligate Carnivores, but can still be classified as carnivores under one of the other subclasses depending on amount of meat required in their diet.

Omnivores, on the other hand, are termed "all eaters" which means they can feed on virtually all kinds of living things including animals, plants, fungi and even bacteria. Dogs aren't omnivores, they are Carnivores, just not Obligate Carnivores. Dazzol.

Very apt and in-depth,

Another confusion for me is do snake feed on sand? And what are animals that fees exclusively on sand call

(1) (Reply)

Canine Club Of Imo Dog Walk 2022 / 7 Wks Male Husky Pup Is Available.. / The Ultimate Smart Dog Care Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.