Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,995 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:49 AM

9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" (21196 Views)

What's Your Take On 2-Year NYSC Service? / My One Year Nysc Experience In Osun State / Dont Waste One Year Nysc Time. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Newyorkitis(m): 1:55pm On Jun 25, 2022
Try and add to your CV during your NYSC.
I did a professional course (Customer Relationship Management) and that's what has been enabling me to get job offers and that's where I have built my working experience over the years.
I have never for once gone for any job in my field of study (Urban and Regional Planning).

4 Likes

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Samskid310(m): 1:57pm On Jun 25, 2022
I used my NYSC alawee to build myself a duplex after service
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Streetpriest1: 2:26pm On Jun 25, 2022
It's very hard to save money during this period except ur PPA is paying. Cost of transportation in Abj will humble you.

1 Like

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Bigfish121(m): 2:40pm On Jun 25, 2022
Save un dollars not naira.
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by littleguy444: 2:46pm On Jun 25, 2022
Newyorkitis:
I did a professional course (Customer Relationship Management) and that's what has been enabling me to get job offers and that's where I have built my working experience over the years.
I have never for once gone for any job in my field of study (Urban and Regional Planning).
Can you please shed more light.

1 Like

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Manuel69: 3:00pm On Jun 25, 2022
tarantino1:

And na Abuja I wan go by November.

I'm not discouraging you. Abuja is nice. Laods and loads of opportunity. Chances of ending up in a corporate firm is high compared to other states.

I'm currently serving here. I don't have any regret tho
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Manuel69: 3:00pm On Jun 25, 2022
Treasure17:

Absolutely. Served in Ilorin and was able to save because I was staying at the family house. Invested the little I saved in MMM before it crashed. Diverted the proceeds to crypto and the rest is history.

I'm glad things went well for you
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by dmgr(m): 3:19pm On Jun 25, 2022
ashewoboy:
Phvck as many hoes as available. Use condom thoughcheesy. Phvck eniqurl buh use condom.

cheesy ma Nigga

1 Like

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by FaithBrain1994(m): 3:33pm On Jun 25, 2022
I want to be saving 20k every month. Is it feasible?
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Treasure17(m): 3:38pm On Jun 25, 2022
Manuel69:

I'm glad things went well for you
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Treasure17(m): 3:42pm On Jun 25, 2022
FaithBrain1994:
I want to be saving 20k every month. Is it feasible?
Lol. Only possible depending on your location and peradventure your ppa is paying you a reasonable amount.
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Ipp1: 4:23pm On Jun 25, 2022
Ok
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Opiskyposh7(m): 5:01pm On Jun 25, 2022
ImmaculateJOE:
Lubbish!

NYSC is a total waste of time, my ppa pays me 12k plus 33k that's 45k, upon all my quiet lifestyle. No girlfriend, no clubbing no smoking, I never save shi shi.
Bonny Island expensive life no be my mate, and I won't stave my self in the name of saving NYSC money..
I was posted to Rivers State and I did little saving

2 Likes

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Opiskyposh7(m): 5:04pm On Jun 25, 2022
Holluwhakemmy:
Rivers State is expensive I didn't save too during my time. I was posted to Ahoda west
Lolz, I was posted to Ahoada East and I saved 10% of my allowance despite how everything is expensive
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Holluwhakemmy(f): 5:38pm On Jun 25, 2022
Opiskyposh7:

Lolz, I was posted to Ahoada East and I saved 10% of my allowance despite how everything is expensive
really, kudos to you
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by mrnwas(m): 5:39pm On Jun 25, 2022
That's the best way to go. Also ensure your PPA is one that rewards your efforts
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Sified(m): 5:49pm On Jun 25, 2022
Newyorkitis:
Awesome! I'd like to PM you

1 Like

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by MisterRuk(m): 6:36pm On Jun 25, 2022
Be very CAREFUL with private schools. If possible, avoid them.
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by AlexJustin(m): 7:20pm On Jun 25, 2022
That no. 2 is it true?

Pls I want to know.
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by jeph19(m): 7:41pm On Jun 25, 2022
How do I access the CBN loan... I've started a small animal farm with my small savings
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by MisterRuk(m): 8:18pm On Jun 25, 2022
Things they don't tell you at orientation camp (and you should probably know)
1. You're cheap labour. Yes.
2. Learn to negotiate with your PPA. If you don't like certain work conditions speak out.
3. Nigeria no longer respects corpers. Don't rely on preferential treatment for being a government child.
4. If you're lazy or love to flex, private owned PPAs are not for you. Rather go for public sector PPAs, especially ministries.
5. Not all public institutions are for lazy people though. Some like NAFDAC, Bank of Industry, FIRS etc work corpers like horses. But most ministries are good places for corpers who dont like stress. Their staffs are lazy and underpaid, if worse, owed salary. So don't expect to be paid.
6. Be very careful with private schools, in most states they're notorious for overworking corpers. Most of the private schools that hire corpers are schools that are growing or lack staff. They can give you four subjects to teach six classes. If you're faced with such, please negotiate. Majority of these tiny private schools are desperate for corpers so use it to your advantage.
7. If you don't like to teach, DON'T teach.
8. In some scenarios, the higher the pay, the harder the work. You can't be receiving 30k from your PPA and expect to be sleeping at work all day.
9. Environment matters. The environment we live in affects our psyche one way or another. If you're are a person with a big mind and high ambition, or loves tech, a rural area might not be ideal for you.
10. Don't expect to find love during NYSC.
11. Carry your head up high. Do not reduce your value or degrade yourself. Uphold yourself with dignity. You're a graduate. Act like one outside.
12. Don't sleep with the female students or local girls. E get why.
13. Attend CDS despite how boring it is. When voting a CDS president, don't select the overzealous candidate.
14. Just because your friends are ditching their PPAs and travelling up and down doesn't mean you should do the same. Everyone's grace is different
15. If possible, learn a skill, build connections, improve your knowledge. Search for opportunities if you can. And if because of the nature of your job you couldn't do all these, don't get hard on yourself. It is not easy to be a Corper.
16. Save money no matter how hard things are. Even if it is 1k from your monthly allowee, It is something. Don't live like a sultan on 33k. Be very prudent.
17. No matter how sh1tty your job might be at the end still put in some level diligence. And be respectful.
18. The best PPAs are not the ones that pay handsomely. The best PPAs are the ones that give meaning and purpose to your one year of service. Because you're still young and you have a lot to learn from this life. Get something you love to do and work on it. It would keep you sane in darkest hours.

7 Likes

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by information1: 10:02pm On Jun 25, 2022
Very insightful!

MisterRuk:
Things they don't tell you at orientation camp (and you should probably know)
1. You're cheap labour. Yes.
2. Learn to negotiate with your PPA. If you don't like certain work conditions speak out.
3. Nigeria no longer respects corpers. Don't rely on preferential treatment for being a government child.
4. If you're lazy or love to flex, private owned PPAs are not for you. Rather go for public sector PPAs, especially ministries.
5. Not all public institutions are for lazy people though. Some like NAFDAC, Bank of Industry, FIRS etc work corpers like horses. But most ministries are good places for corpers who dont like stress. Their staffs are lazy and underpaid, if worse, owed salary. So don't expect to be paid.
6. Be very careful with private schools, in most states they're notorious for overworking corpers. Most of the private schools that hire corpers are schools that are growing or lack staff. They can give you four subjects to teach six classes. If you're faced with such, please negotiate. Majority of these tiny private schools are desperate for corpers so use it to your advantage.
7. If you don't like to teach, DON'T teach.
8. In some scenarios, the higher the pay, the harder the work. You can't be receiving 30k from your PPA and expect to be sleeping at work all day.
9. Environment matters. The environment we live in affects our psyche one way or another. If you're are a person with a big mind and high ambition, or loves tech, a rural area might not be ideal for you.
10. Don't expect to find love during NYSC.
11. Carry your head up high. Do not reduce your value or degrade yourself. Uphold yourself with dignity. You're a graduate. Act like one outside.
12. Don't sleep with the female students or local girls. E get why.
13. Attend CDS despite how boring it is. When voting a CDS president, don't select the overzealous candidate.
14. Just because your friends are ditching their PPAs and travelling up and down doesn't mean you should do the same. Everyone's grace is different
15. If possible, learn a skill, build connections, improve your knowledge. Search for opportunities if you can. And if because of the nature of your job you couldn't do all these, don't get hard on yourself. It is not easy to be a Corper.
16. Save money no matter how hard things are. Even if it is 1k from your monthly allowee, It is something. Don't live like a sultan on 33k. Be very prudent.
17. No matter how sh1tty your job might be at the end still put in some level diligence. And be respectful.
18. The best PPAs are not the ones that pay handsomely. The best PPAs are the ones that give meaning and purpose to your one year of service. Because you're still young and you have a lot to learn from this life. Get something you love to do and work on it. It would keep you sane in darkest hours.
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Newyorkitis(m): 12:59pm On Jun 26, 2022
Sified:

Awesome! I'd like to PM you

That'll be nice... Please, use my WhatsApp number displayed in my signature.

1 Like

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Newyorkitis(m): 1:09pm On Jun 26, 2022
littleguy444:
Can you please shed more light.

During my NYSC days, there were different professional courses to choose from.
I decided to go for Customer Relationship Management because most companies needs professionals to interface with their customers.
These courses are strictly for Corps members and it is usually subsidized. Plus you can pay in instalments.

My first job by the grace of God, was in a pizza company as a Manager In Training without any experience.

1 Like

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by tarantino1: 2:44pm On Jun 26, 2022
Manuel69:

I'm not discouraging you. Abuja is nice. Laods and loads of opportunity. Chances of ending up in a corporate firm is high compared to other states.

Were you posted there or you redeployed?

There's an IT firm I want to work in there. That's why I want to move there.
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Manuel69: 3:16pm On Jun 26, 2022
tarantino1:

Were you posted there or you redeployed?

There's an IT firm I want to work in there. That's why I want to move there.

I got posted here.
Camped at Kubwa
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Pclemenza: 6:13pm On Jul 09, 2022
Manuel69:

Still serving?
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Pclemenza: 6:14pm On Jul 09, 2022
Manuel69:

Was re-deployed to Abuja and currently in search of PPA, can u help?. Please
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Manuel69: 1:44pm On Jul 11, 2022
Pclemenza:

Still serving?

Yes. Passing out September, God willing

1 Like

Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Manuel69: 1:45pm On Jul 11, 2022
Pclemenza:

Was re-deployed to Abuja and currently in search of PPA, can u help?. Please

Depends on what you term help, my bro.
Re: 9 Smart Ways To Have A Successful Service Year "NYSC" by Pclemenza: 5:32am On Jul 12, 2022
Manuel69:

Depends on what you term help, my bro.
Help in securing a PPA for me, that’s what I mean. Or probably recommend a place for me, I would appreciate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Corpers Bemoan Living Conditions In Camps (pix) / NYSC Announces New Date For 2018 Batch 'A' Orientation Course / NYSC Member Donates 10 Months Allowance As Scholarship To Student (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.