Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,035 members, 7,807,096 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. (2975 Views)

AT 35, Should I Be Ashamed Living With My Parents? / I Really Feel Ashamed Doing This / Age Difference Between Hubby & I | Ashamed Of My Age?? | Hubby's Occupation | I (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by cadet222(m): 8:29pm On Jun 26, 2022
Good day guys.
At my age, I am not able to speak my native language. This is always a source of embarrassment for me.
Pls if you are a parent reading this, start speaking your language to your kids while they are still young and not only English language.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Zonefree(m): 8:45pm On Jun 26, 2022
Shame on you then.
Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jun 26, 2022
Why are you ashamed??
No be your fault na.
No be everybody go sabi e parents language na.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by cadet222(m): 8:51pm On Jun 26, 2022
Beebah2000:
Why are you ashamed?? No be your fault na. No be everybody go sabi e parents language na.
Guy e get as e be

5 Likes

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Mariangeles(f): 8:52pm On Jun 26, 2022
cadet222:
Guy e get as e be

It is never too late to start learning, as long as you're willing.

5 Likes

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Jeon(f): 8:57pm On Jun 26, 2022
Not a must for parents to teach kids the native dialect.
LEARNING IS BY CHOICE.

Like me I can't speak my native tongue [even though I'm in their midst for many years ]. But I learnt how to speak another tongue within one year.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Abfinest007(m): 9:18pm On Jun 26, 2022
Sorry bro
Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by henrimoto(m): 10:19pm On Jun 26, 2022
cadet222:
Guy e get as e be
... Take a break, go stay with your grannies/elderly ones in your home town. As in, grannies wey be say the only english them understand na " come" "go". Stay with them for a while. Through out your stay with your grannies, force yourself use language dey communicate with them, any how you speak am at first... Na part of the learning process.

4 Likes

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Lastpharoah33: 11:24pm On Jun 26, 2022
Beebah2000:
Why are you ashamed??
No be your fault na.
No be everybody go sabi e parents language na.

He should be perfect with a borrowed language (english) and care less about his mother tongue?

It's a shame.

1 Like

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by haggai247: 4:44am On Jun 27, 2022
Language can be easily learnt based on nterest and association the only thing now that can help you is closed association a

I can speak more than 10 Nigeria language 3 African language but can only hear my mother's tongue.
Anything you say I'll understand and reply you in English but speaking a big no no cos i wasn't used to it
Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Amarisco(f): 5:32am On Jun 27, 2022
I feel you. A lot of parents were misinformed that children speaking their native tongue will affect their English and learning etc. Parents just have to do better.

Anyway, it’s not too late! People all around the world learn any language at any age. Get in touch with someone passionate about the language or a proper language tutor for 1:1. You just have to be dedicated, consistent and brave enough to make mistakes openly.
Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Nobody: 7:08am On Jun 27, 2022
Lastpharoah33:

He should be perfect with a borrowed language (english) and care less about his mother tongue?

It's a shame.
Language no be something them go born person with. He can still learn how to speak his language. So, no be wetin him suppose dey ashamed of.

I have relatives that can't speak their parents language, na only English them sabi.
Even one dey stay here with us, na our language she con dey learn how to speak.

No be JuJu be that? grin grin

1 Like

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by BigDawsNet: 8:01am On Jun 27, 2022
Don't feel ashamed...

It's not too late.. you can start learning

I learn to speak Spanish online...

1 Like

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by xynerise: 8:17am On Jun 27, 2022
I started understanding Igbo very well and speaking after graduation from the University. That was during my learning trade in Alaba International Market.

1 Like

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by 9182736455O1999(m): 8:48am On Jun 27, 2022
Op, i am also on this table. Relatives are always mocking me but IDGAF, afterall no be my fault. undecided
Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by ITbomb(m): 9:36am On Jun 27, 2022
Jeon:
LEARNING IS BY CHOICE.

Like me I can't speak my native tongue [even though I'm in their midst for many years ]. But I learnt how to speak another tongue within one year.
It shouldn't be a choice my dear, it is your identity

I bet you do watch Zee world or the other Spanish channels, see how they speak tells of their proud heritage.
Even world class athletes do speak their native language and force reporters to look for translation.

If you don't have a native tongue, you have failed as a human, don't look for excuses
Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by LordIsaac(m): 9:45am On Jun 27, 2022
You are just a human on earth. You will leave everything on earth. There's nothing like "your language"! As far as you can communicate with two or more people, as you are doing now, that's what matters. Too many languages used by a given people has been found to be of no value; it is why Nigeria is suffering today!
Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Rickmann: 10:19am On Jun 27, 2022
cadet222:
Good day guys.
At my age, I am not able to speak my native language. This is always a source of embarrassment for me.
Pls if you are a parent reading this, start speaking your language to your kids while they are still young and not only English language.

Relax bro..stop beating yourself up about it. It happens ok..it doesn't make you any less of who your are or who you will become..Besides,it's not late, you can still learn so long as ur heart and mind is set towards it.
Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Mariangeles(f): 10:35am On Jun 27, 2022
xynerise:
I started understanding Igbo very well and speaking after graduation from the University. That was during my learning trade in Alaba International Market.

You learnt trading after graduating from the University? I admire that.

9182736455O1999:
Op, i am also on this table. Relatives are always mocking me but IDGAF, afterall no be my fault. undecided

GAF O! It's part of who you are.
Just ignore those mocking you, and put effort into learning your language. It's your identity.

1 Like

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by 1F30M4(f): 10:56am On Jun 27, 2022
You're right, it helps the little ones understand the language even as they can't speak/write it yet.

It's not too late for you. I learnt the much I know now cos I had to leave the city and go back to the villa for my tertiary education(I kicked against it then lol but I'm glad I did). My roommates made me a laughing stock, my classmates sidelined a few of us that could only speak English, I hated it so much. Whenever we were on break, I'd go to my granny's, stay for a while, stop by at my uncle's house and then back to school. I'd watch closely how people communicated with one another in the bus, in the streets, in the markets and in church. It's very funny now but I was really determined even when I wasn't getting the pronunciation right lol. It did help and to a great extent at that. When I eventually went back to base, my family were amazed haha.

What I'm saying is that it's not too late for you, OP. You can actually learn bit by bit like I did, you can get a tutor as well. Good luck!
Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Natbrowny: 11:06am On Jun 27, 2022
Its never too late to learn. U need focus and have interest.

Lemme tell a kinda short story
Nigg came back frm yankee and wanted to become a councilor in crossriver state.

Manifesto day came and nigg was like 'know waaaaaam saying' speaking sound english and thinking he is on board.

From d crowd came a request. That bros we know say u sabi English but u see dis mama wey dere here so, she no dey hear you at all, abeg speak we language make mama and others like her fit hear you.

Microphone became heavy like a basket of yam. Baba couldn't even say good morning in his language. They loved him though but language wey he no sabi jonzed him. He was disgraced and couldn't even garner votes.

He was determined. Went to d street and told bikes guys and oldies he really wanna learn his language that it wasn't his fault, his parent never made it a big deal.
He was determined n interested and few years later he took on community services as he wanted to be close to the real people who could help him.

B4 i left d place he was fluent as hell. Whether he contested again, i wouldn't know coz i left the place to know that.

BE FOCUSED its never too late to LEARN.

GOOD LUCK PAPI

1 Like

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by xynerise: 11:15am On Jun 27, 2022
Mariangeles:

You learnt trading after graduating from the University? I admire that.
Nigeria taught me a lot of lessons cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by 9182736455O1999(m): 12:18pm On Jun 27, 2022
Mariangeles:

GAF O! It's part of who you are.
Just ignore those mocking you, and put effort into learning your language. It's your identity.
Sure, i'll learn.
Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Jeon(f): 3:36pm On Jun 27, 2022
ITbomb:

It shouldn't be a choice my dear, it is your identity

I bet you do watch Zee world or the other Spanish channels, see how they speak tells of their proud heritage.
Even world class athletes do speak their native language and force reporters to look for translation.

if you don't have a native tongue, you have failed as a human, don't look for excuses

Never knew native tongue is an achievement.

well that's your goal none of my business.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by shantti(m): 3:49pm On Jun 27, 2022
Jeon:
LEARNING IS BY CHOICE.

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Truvelisback(m): 5:42pm On Jun 27, 2022
cadet222:
Good day guys.

It's not too late, be visiting ur village always and spend sometime there during the festive period and holidays. U will be able to speak ur native language.
Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by dreofGod(m): 6:11pm On Jun 27, 2022
For those telling OP that it does not matter, let's just hope that you don't get into a situation where speaking your language will be your deliverance or advantage. If the English take their language as irrelevant, it would not be reckoned with as it is today. I know an ethnic group here that will readily give a reduced price when you want to buy an item from them because you can speak their language. OP, you can still learn your language and you will be good for it.
Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Pootle: 6:34pm On Jun 27, 2022
my case is worse i can speck the language neither have i ever traveled to my native land angry
Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Harry00(m): 6:50pm On Jun 27, 2022
BigDawsNet:
Don't feel ashamed...

It's not too late.. you can start learning

I learn to speak Spanish online...
Com on serv her?
Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by BigDawsNet: 9:12pm On Jun 27, 2022
Harry00:

Com on serv her?

Com on serv her is French na

1 Like

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Mariangeles(f): 9:57pm On Jun 27, 2022
Harry00:

Com on serv her?

BigDawsNet:

Com on serv her is French na

Una two. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: I Am Always Ashamed Because Of This. by Sugargul: 11:45am On Jun 28, 2022
cadet222:
Good day guys.

Being able to speak your native language doesn’t put money in your account. I don’t speak my native language..no fault of mine. I am at the peak of my career, a fat account balance with all the good things of life. When someone tries to degrade me or make me feel some type of way by pointing at my inability to speak my language, I laugh really, because their language couldn’t save them from wretchedness.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) / Do You Care About What Your Parents Think? / My Precious And Wondeful Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.