Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,956 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now (26559 Views)

I Made 4.38 CGPA And I'm So Happy... / What Course Did You Study In The Tertiary Institution And What's your job now? / MADONNA UNIVERSITY (modern Day Slavery) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by cococandy(f): 9:36pm On Jun 27, 2022
Right. We live and learn.

HenryIgwe01:
Sister, it's not my fault.

Main looking at the school, one would think they are paying their staffs well. My expectations were high because the school is well co-ordinated and that was the reason I applied for a teaching job at the school.

I'm certain that 45k would be the salary of H.O.D or any old staff in that school.

2 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Nazgul: 10:58pm On Jun 27, 2022
If you don't have any job you're currently doing I'll advice you to take the offer. With time you can approach parents to request for private lessons for the kids, that one pays more.

Most private schools are going through hell in this economy, and most parents can't even afford the ever increasing fees, and remember that they pay per term, whereras salary is per month. This means that whatever fees they collect from the students would be used to run the school for the next 3-4 months.

Now the problem here is that most students owe the school and refuse to pay, this would make the management look to alternatives means or even loans to pay you guys and run the school activities with hopes that when their student pays up within the month they can settle everything.... unfortunately in most cases this doesn't happen.

I have a relative that runs a primary school, who usually narrates her ordeal to me. There was a day she brought out her records and showed me debts of students over the years, I kid you not, those debts were running into millions. I really felt sorry for her.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by henrimoto(m): 6:19am On Jun 28, 2022
Richy4:
What was the meaning of writing exams for a teaching job?

Just maybe u can consider it if the cost of transportation isn't much from where you reside, u can take it while you still check on internet for others...

At least at the end of the month, 30k is sure.. instead of nothing... Teaching is just one career that is really relegated/ neglected every where in the world

... Not every where in the world.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Channah1(f): 6:51am On Jun 28, 2022
Pick his calls and give him your terms and conditions as well.
Tell him the pay is too poor for someone with your qualification and the number of duties you're going to be carrying out including the exigencies in-between. He may consider doing something about the pay.

Na wa.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Richy4(m): 8:02am On Jun 28, 2022
henrimoto:
... Not every where in the world.
Of all jobs that requires 4 yrs degree, teachers and social workers are the lowest paid in the world.. u can do the research if u want smiley
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Efewestern: 4:33pm On Jun 28, 2022
Rachel98:
Some private schools are still paying teachers 20k sef.

May God Help us in this country.

Some 18k. I mean, these schools rake in millions per session. They are just evil and mean.

I heard they normally have agreements to pay certain amount (School owners). A school I know with mighty structure pays 35k and you need to see their rules and regulations.

Oghene!

4 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Efewestern: 4:50pm On Jun 28, 2022
Nazgul:
If you don't have any job you're currently doing I'll advice you to take the offer. With time you can approach parents to request for private lessons for the kids, that one pays more.

Most private schools are going through hell in this economy, and most parents can't even afford the ever increasing fees, and remember that they pay per term, whereras salary is per month. This means that whatever fees they collect from the students would be used to run the school for the next 3-4 months.

Now the problem here is that most students owe the school and refuse to pay, this would make the management look to alternatives means or even loans to pay you guys and run the school activities with hopes that when their student pays up within the month they can settle everything.... unfortunately in most cases this doesn't happen.

I have a relative that runs a primary school, who usually narrates her ordeal to me. There was a day she brought out her records and showed me debts of students over the years, I kid you not, those debts were running into millions. I really felt sorry for her.

I understand for start-up schools, but not established ones. Some schools will boot your kids out if you owe a single term.

These schools earn good money. In a class of 30 and let's say the fees was pegged at 60k and only 50% of pupils paid their fees for the term (worst case scenario), the school will only use 10% of the fee to settle a teacher for the 3 months that make up a term and please Note schools don't pay on holidays and they also pay half month.

We haven't even added side perks and other profits they make from books selling. Big schools that charge over 100k-150k/term also pay peanuts. This isn't even a matter of lack of money or business running at lost, it's plain wickedness.

We can't continue to defend this inhumane treatment to our fellow humans. It's sad no one is talking about this, so sad.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Truvelisback(m): 6:30pm On Jun 28, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
A private school called me for an interview last week Monday. As a job hunter I'm always prepared for any interviews. So when I got there, It's was a 3 segments interview (written test, oral and micro teaching)

As a Bsc graduate in Accounting Education, I was given financial accounting, English language and current affairs for the written test interview. The account and English was WAEC standard questions. After the written test interview, the principal said he will call me for further interviews if i pass the test.

On Thursday morning, I received a call from the school inviting me for further interviews which is oral and micro teaching. When I got there, the principal was asking me loads of questions like why should I hire you? How many years experience do you have? How do you discipline a child? how can you make this school grow? Can we trust you with our female students? bla bla bla... After that we went to the classroom for the final segment which was micro teaching.

After everything, he employed me and we started discussing about the subject I will teach and the salary. The principal said I will be teaching Accounting, Economics and Marketing (ss1 - ss3), I said no problem.

What really got me angry was about the salary, he said he's willing to pay me 30k without negotiation.

As if that wasn't enough, he later said he can also call me anytime to teach any subject if the particular subject teacher isn't around. I was just laughing in my mind.

The principal was expecting me to resume today, he has been calling me since morning, I haven't picked his calls. I'm not a slave.

Mind you, this is a standard private school and my "least" expectation was 45k, Assuming he was willing to pay 45k, I would have resumed today.

Why are private schools so wicked? Is teaching job now a modern day slavery? I'm tired of this country.
Tell him openly that the amount he wants to pay u will not be enough. Tell him the amount u want.

2 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Toeyean1507(f): 8:42pm On Jun 28, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
A private school called me for an interview last week Monday. As a job hunter I'm always prepared for any interviews. So when I got there, It's was a 3 segments interview (written test, oral and micro teaching)

As a Bsc graduate in Accounting Education, I was given financial accounting, English language and current affairs for the written test interview. The account and English was WAEC standard questions. After the written test interview, the principal said he will call me for further interviews if i pass the test.

On Thursday morning, I received a call from the school inviting me for further interviews which is oral and micro teaching. When I got there, the principal was asking me loads of questions like why should I hire you? How many years experience do you have? How do you discipline a child? how can you make this school grow? Can we trust you with our female students? bla bla bla... After that we went to the classroom for the final segment which was micro teaching.

After everything, he employed me and we started discussing about the subject I will teach and the salary. The principal said I will be teaching Accounting, Economics and Marketing (ss1 - ss3), I said no problem.

What really got me angry was about the salary, he said he's willing to pay me 30k without negotiation.

As if that wasn't enough, he later said he can also call me anytime to teach any subject if the particular subject teacher isn't around. I was just laughing in my mind.

The principal was expecting me to resume today, he has been calling me since morning, I haven't picked his calls. I'm not a slave.

Mind you, this is a standard private school and my "least" expectation was 45k, Assuming he was willing to pay 45k, I would have resumed today.

Why are private schools so wicked? Is teaching job now a modern day slavery? I'm tired of this country.
Where are you based?
Answer this and I will give you a tip on how to make more than 100k as a teacher.
Trust me on this.

4 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Toeyean1507(f): 8:45pm On Jun 28, 2022
Nazgul:

If you don't mind, I have some options for your relative on how reduce bad debt to the barest minimum.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Toeyean1507(f): 8:50pm On Jun 28, 2022
Efewestern:

I understand for start-up schools, but not established ones. Some schools will boot your kids out if you owe a single term.

These schools earn good money. In a class of 30 and let's say the fees was pegged at 60k and only 50% of pupils paid their fees for the term (worst case scenario), the school will only use 10% of the fee to settle a teacher for the 3 months that make up a term and please Note schools don't pay on holidays and they also pay half month.

We haven't even added side perks and other profits they make from books selling. Big schools that charge over 100k-150k/term also pay peanuts. This isn't even a matter of lack of money or business running at lost, it's plain wickedness.

We can't continue to defend this inhumane treatment to our fellow humans. It's sad no one is talking about this, so sad.
You deserve a very tight hug for this, so on point!
Meanwhile, some schools are the architect of their doom.
I pity selfish school owners in advance though cos there's a larva in the teaching system right now.
When it eventually hatch, those school owners go cry blooo*d!

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by HenryIgwe01: 9:12pm On Jun 28, 2022
Toeyean1507:

Where are you based?
Answer this and I will give you a tip on how to make more than 100k as a teacher.
Trust me on this.
Bayelsa
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by HenryIgwe01: 9:15pm On Jun 28, 2022
Truvelisback:
Tell him openly that the amount he wants to pay u will not be enough. Tell him the amount u want.
He said, it's not negotiable. What else can I do? I will have to search for other jobs. The school wasted my precious time and energy.

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Thatakwabombabe: 10:18pm On Jun 28, 2022
Honestly the educational sector is so bad and discouraging and yes! I can boldly say teaching is modern day slavery. The career growth is very slow ! That’s if at all you are even lucky to grow, the pay is too small for a very tasking responsibility. If you are lucky to earn up to 100k which mostly has to be on the island, your will be tasked with a lot of responsibility and will seat on that pay for years.

You work so hard to extra income which is home lesson.

A 3 years professional is Hr, finance, accountant is on a 150-300k pay roll depending on industry and company.

A 3 years experienced teacher would be so lucky to earn 50k before you can earn up to 200k you must have atleast 10 years experience in teaching and you are probably the head teacher

Besides career transition from teaching can be very hard, skills are not so transferable!

After many years of service, you retire poor, no pension nothing. You might not be an educated poor old man/ woman.

Above is the Nigerian education career system.

10 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Toeyean1507(f): 10:24pm On Jun 28, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
Bayelsa
Ok. You can still give it a trial, let's see how it goes.
Please, go into part time teaching.
I have a colleague who's teaching F/A and Commerce and she's earning over 70k. She's into PT teaching.
She's taking just 3 schools and closes before 2pm.
It's in Lagos though.
That man thinks you are desperate for the job, hence the meagre pay.
Try apply for PT teaching, I'm sure irrespective of the State you live in, it'll be better than FT with a salary of 30k! Haba!
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Toeyean1507(f): 10:28pm On Jun 28, 2022
Thatakwabombabe:
Honestly the educational sector is so bad and discouraging and yes! I can boldly say teaching is modern day slavery. The career growth is very slow ! That’s if at all you are even lucky to grow, the pay is too small for a very tasking responsibility. If you are lucky to earn up to 100k which mostly has to be on the island, your will be tasked with a lot of responsibility and will seat on that pay for years.

A 3 years professional is Hr, finance, accountant is on a 150-300k pay roll depending on industry and company.

A 3 years experienced teacher would be so lucky to earn 50k before you can earn up to 200k you must have atleast 10 years experience in teaching and you are probably the head teacher

Besides career transition from teaching can be very hard, skills are not so transferable!

After many years of service, you retire poor, no pension nothing. You might not be an educated poor old man/ woman.

I know someone who's into Part time teaching that earns over 100k and over 100k for registration of Waec.
PT is the 'IT' job in the education sector right now.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Usorohtheman(m): 11:24pm On Jun 28, 2022
Toeyean1507:

I know someone who's into Part time teaching that earns over 100k and over 100k for registration of Waec.
PT is the 'IT' job in the education sector right now.

I think, this will be cool...He can also register on Superprof.com and start getting clients to teach...

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Newusername(m): 11:49pm On Jun 28, 2022
Same thing happened at the the place I wanted to start teaching whenever I don't have lectures. The woman offered 15k for science and some art subjects plus I will take the primary schools pupils whenever she request. Omo I thought about the tfare plus the tfare sef don pass salary naso I run.

4 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Efewestern: 6:03am On Jun 29, 2022
Toeyean1507:

You deserve a very tight hug for this, so on point!
Meanwhile, some schools are the architect of their doom.
I pity selfish school owners in advance though cos there's a larva in the teaching system right now.
When it eventually hatch, those school owners go cry blooo*d!

Already, many people have lost interest in the field, soon they will only attract secondary school leavers.

2 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Nazgul: 9:49am On Jun 29, 2022
Toeyean1507:

If you don't mind, I have some options for your relative on how reduce bad debt to the barest minimum.
I'm all ears, please go on.

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Totiemide: 4:21pm On Jun 29, 2022
Since that salary isn't negotiable, please avoid that job e get why.

I once worked in a private school as an account officer sometimes last year. Big school, well structured and established but the way they treat their staff ehn.

As the school accountant I was earning 40k, if I minus food and transport I barely save 5k in a month. Funny thing is I know the amount expected per term but the amount paid to staffs won't dent the initial amount for that term but the owner of the school ll still complain and say he's over paying staff. If you know how much the student pay ehn, even their parents feel the school pay staffs close to 150k. Some parents sef ll threaten to report you that you don't know your job on top how much.

Teachers take up to 3 to 4 subjects, no free period because they use it to mark or grade their students and they're still paid same amount with me or less. Il

Queries nko? If your student make noise, you collect query. If you no greet the owner of the school well query and query is 5k that's if you even reply the query letter well, if not you go home with 15k or less.
Sometimes I pity the teachers because they collect query anyhow.

Why I left there was because I don't have time to seek for other opportunities because even mid term, holidays o we are expected to come to work. They even have the habit of making you see yourself less

Pardon my stories, what I mean to say is don't accept that job.

9 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Postgraduatengr: 7:59pm On Jun 29, 2022
These points touched me.
There is no clear career path for a teacher. Except you get a Master's and PhD to become a lecturer.

But as a secondary school teacher, the odds are staked against them
Thatakwabombabe:

2 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Toeyean1507(f): 8:23pm On Jun 29, 2022
Nazgul:

I'm all ears, please go on.
This is gonna be lengthy cos I will be giving illustrations.

Firstly, your relative should try to improve the welfare of his staff. When teachers are treated nicely in terms of prompt payment of salaries and good welfare, they tend to be stucked.
1. Let your him give incentives in terms of payment of staff's kids fees 2. Let him introduce a cooperative society where he will be running with the staff and they will have access to loans of considerable interests. By doing this, it will be difficult for teachers to leave
Secondly, let him organize a PTA where he will discuss with parents on the kind payment that will be convenient for them. I once worked in a school that did such, some parents pay weekly and some pay monthly. What we did was to divide the ward(s) fee per week or month so the parents know the amount they are to pay and failure to meet up, we will advise you keep your child at home. We usually call parents weekly and monthly just to remind them and also 'pray' for them. At the end of that time, we recorded bad debt of about 50k. I knew this cos I was the cashier.
Thirdly, let him try everything possible to keep his staff cos parents don't appreciate schools where teachers are being replaced often,hence, my first point.
I worked in a school and was earning 24k. I was taking Maths, Agric and also was the cashier yet, it never cross my mind to seek greener pastures cos my boss was always there for us.
So, there you have it!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by zubimete(f): 8:45pm On Jun 29, 2022
Tokskob2008:

If he tries the POS and he is serious with it I'm 100% sure it's better than this teaching job or you think teaching 3 classes is that easy? Lesson plan, lesson notes on a daily basis are also included you know

I personally love teaching and I have taught both primary and secondary classes in the past but with what they pay and the cruel treatment teachers receive from those school owners, I vowed never to teach again until maybe I have my own school.
we are on the same page. Even cleaners with pass 6 or waec ends better stipend

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by IgiveLadiesBj(m): 9:08pm On Jun 29, 2022
Lalasticlala, come and do your job
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by NaijaCover(m): 9:52pm On Jun 29, 2022
Blogging Business Is The Sure, when it comes making money with your phone.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by nicho450(m): 9:55pm On Jun 29, 2022
GloriousGbola:

And this school will be charging over 150k per student per term. In addition to wayo on school uniform, feeding etal.

Nigerians ehn, masters of exploitation. The man fit ask you for kidney join sef. grin

Sorry about this.

You can always take it to hold body for the next job If worst comes to worst
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Iseoluwani: 9:55pm On Jun 29, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

I take js3-ss3 crs for 35k 12months payment aside 10k termly lesson fees. When I saw the stress. 7-5pm been a class teacher. Owner of sch insults principal at will, sacks at will. I just Jejely resigned and promised not to go into teaching again. I studied political science Education but then I hate teaching with passion

I look at the lives of retiree from govt sch and many of them are poor. The only consolation is that because they are in service, they can borrow money. Gosh I detest teaching

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by olaniyilukman(m): 9:55pm On Jun 29, 2022
fullnetwork:
This is bloody. 30k for three or more subjects?
Guy, just keep posting him because he does not deserve a definite answer. I'm sure he can't give his son this slave type offer. Even cleaners in so organisation earn close to this. How much more those that are guiding the future of this country.
Bro, thanks your star that you don't accept the offer, that would have been the beginning of your sufferness in life. Three subjects and you will still prepare lesson notes for those three subjects, it is a conplete slavery....
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Rilwayne001: 9:57pm On Jun 29, 2022
Where I’m currently serving in Ibadan, full time teachers are paid 18k per month for taking atleast 2 subjects and usually JSS1-SS2

Lmao

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by BLIVESHEALTH: 9:57pm On Jun 29, 2022
I have a better offer for you online i sent you a mail
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by ibedu29: 9:58pm On Jun 29, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
I had experience when I did my teaching practice back then in the university.

But officially in a formal school setting, I started teaching after my NYSC, I was even retained in the school where I served but I taught for a year which I was paid 42k.

Since then {2019} I've been doing contract jobs In a company which I was paid 70k. Now my contractor (the man I'm working with) has been transferred to Abuja. He said he's gonna call me when he needs my assistance.

While waiting for his call. Instead for me to be sitting at home doing nothing I decided to pick up a teaching job... only for me to get a 30k job.

As for the UK certification, I never get money to acquire those certificates.. It's not easy sister.
Hope you have your PVC to vote out APC
You won't blame the school owner
He was even matching the minimum wage

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Students From Hell Or Smart Students? (video) / Lost WAEC Certificate, Please How Do I Get Another One? / How To Check JAMB Re-assignment Status

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.