Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:48 AM

Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now (26535 Views)

I Made 4.38 CGPA And I'm So Happy... / What Course Did You Study In The Tertiary Institution And What's your job now? / MADONNA UNIVERSITY (modern Day Slavery) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Empressa(m): 10:00pm On Jun 29, 2022
Omo. Not surprised though coz am Economics Education graduate. The passion for teaching is out of thz world but the meagre salary by thz private institutions around is damning. Presently I decided not to engage in full time teaching aside tutorials close to crib and venture into learning Data Analytics ahead of mobilization.

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Ken4Christ: 10:01pm On Jun 29, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
A private school called me for an interview last week Monday. As a job hunter I'm always prepared for any interviews. So when I got there, It's was a 3 segments interview (written test, oral and micro teaching)

As a Bsc graduate in Accounting Education, I was given financial accounting, English language and current affairs for the written test interview. The account and English was WAEC standard questions. After the written test interview, the principal said he will call me for further interviews if i pass the test.

On Thursday morning, I received a call from the school inviting me for further interviews which is oral and micro teaching. When I got there, the principal was asking me loads of questions like why should I hire you? How many years experience do you have? How do you discipline a child? how can you make this school grow? Can we trust you with our female students? bla bla bla... After that we went to the classroom for the final segment which was micro teaching.

After everything, he employed me and we started discussing about the subject I will teach and the salary. The principal said I will be teaching Accounting, Economics and Marketing (ss1 - ss3), I said no problem.

What really got me angry was about the salary, he said he's willing to pay me 30k without negotiation.

As if that wasn't enough, he later said he can also call me anytime to teach any subject if the particular subject teacher isn't around. I was just laughing in my mind.

The principal was expecting me to resume today, he has been calling me since morning, I haven't picked his calls. I'm not a slave.

Mind you, this is a standard private school and my "least" expectation was 45k, Assuming he was willing to pay 45k, I would have resumed today.

Why are private schools so wicked? Is teaching job now a modern day slavery? I'm tired of this country.

They are taking advantage of the unemployment situation in the country. By the time you subtract your transport fare, there is nothing left. Even 45k is too small for three subjects and three classes.

Try to organize private lessons with students whose parents can pay. I know it's not easy when you are not one of their school teacher.

The Lord will make a way for you.

2 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Lota11(m): 10:01pm On Jun 29, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
A private school called me for an interview last week Monday. As a job hunter I'm always prepared for any interviews. So when I got there, It's was a 3 segments interview (written test, oral and micro teaching)

As a Bsc graduate in Accounting Education, I was given financial accounting, English language and current affairs for the written test interview. The account and English was WAEC standard questions. After the written test interview, the principal said he will call me for further interviews if i pass the test.

On Thursday morning, I received a call from the school inviting me for further interviews which is oral and micro teaching. When I got there, the principal was asking me loads of questions like why should I hire you? How many years experience do you have? How do you discipline a child? how can you make this school grow? Can we trust you with our female students? bla bla bla... After that we went to the classroom for the final segment which was micro teaching.

After everything, he employed me and we started discussing about the subject I will teach and the salary. The principal said I will be teaching Accounting, Economics and Marketing (ss1 - ss3), I said no problem.

What really got me angry was about the salary, he said he's willing to pay me 30k without negotiation.

As if that wasn't enough, he later said he can also call me anytime to teach any subject if the particular subject teacher isn't around. I was just laughing in my mind.

The principal was expecting me to resume today, he has been calling me since morning, I haven't picked his calls. I'm not a slave.

Mind you, this is a standard private school and my "least" expectation was 45k, Assuming he was willing to pay 45k, I would have resumed today.

Why are private schools so wicked? Is teaching job now a modern day slavery? I'm tired of this country.

Try and see if u can apply for Teach For Nigeria ending of this year/early next year
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Daniel7543: 10:02pm On Jun 29, 2022
Iseoluwani:

I take js3-ss3 crs for 35k 12months payment aside 10k termly lesson fees. When I saw the stress. 7-5pm been a class teacher. Owner of sch insults principal at will, sacks at will. I just Jejely resigned and promised not to go into teaching again. I studied political science Education but then I hate teaching with passion

I look at the lives of retiree from govt sch and many of them are poor. The only consolation is that because they are in service, they can borrow money. Gosh I detest teaching
Js3-ss3 for 35k? What kind of wickedness is this.

I weep for Nigerian teachers. My prayers are with them.

2 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by cooltola(m): 10:03pm On Jun 29, 2022
30k a month is N1000 a day alway remember that. That is $2 a day, that is 1.67 pound a day,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by iph0neb0t: 10:03pm On Jun 29, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

Guy run far away
Let him know the job is not suited for your needs
30k na gateman salary fyi
even gateman na to open door and close door , finish

know your worth , you are making the owner richer and you poorer , you will hate it there
and no go settle say this will be stepping stone for next job. places like these , you will not have time for yourself
you go dey work like banker eat like begger.
again know your worth, after 3 interviews , imagine
it doesnt even matter where in naija the job is located , this is very very bad and they will use you

4 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Emdebby2: 10:03pm On Jun 29, 2022
This country is doomed. A whole graduate offered 30k job from a private firm.
My advice to you is for you to ignore the principal. Don't accept the useless offer because this is Lagos. By the time you spend on transport fare, house rent, feeding and other utilities, trust me you have shishi left in your account. You have a good qualification that will fetch you a good job. Keep hunting, what is yours is yours.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Petrepan231: 10:03pm On Jun 29, 2022
Pos agent,bet9ja staffs, mouka foam low workers dae earn less down 25k a month and dem go close by 6pm and dem dae do am u see 30k u dae form. Geddifok
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jun 29, 2022
Weird frustrating country.... those who impact knowledge on an academic level are bin paid pea nuts..

As a teacher imagine I am not happy how can i make my audience happy. Curently in the trenches and I was told to teach..Told the manchie I can't..

reason is

How much will i need to sustain myself for a month ? Frustration can make you take out anger on the innocent soul

Here in ogun state arigbanjo teachers are paid nothing less than 12k
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Kaffytiamiyu(f): 10:06pm On Jun 29, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
Sister, it's not my fault.

Main looking at the school, one would think they are paying their staffs well. My expectations were high because the school is well co-ordinated and that was the reason I applied for a teaching job at the school.

I'm certain that 45k would be the salary of H.O.D or any old staff in that school.

https://www.nairaland.com/7158432/british-curriculum-international-school-recruiting
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Gkemz: 10:06pm On Jun 29, 2022
I'd rather sell satchet water than to accept this work. Haba....some proprietors are wicked. Only one subject I handled for ss2 during my service year when naira had value before Buhari crashed the economy was not easy, let alone having to teach 3 subjects to ss1, ss2 and ss3 for 30k that has lost its value.

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by easytig(m): 10:11pm On Jun 29, 2022
They want to use your head ontop of 30k,they are mad,very mad.with the inflation in the country,how will you feed well,and settle bills from the paltry sum

2 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by ictplotter(m): 10:11pm On Jun 29, 2022
fullnetwork:

Can this salary cover his transport, feeding?
Leave medical, housing, and general welfare first. This thing dey vex me like this already.
Oga create ur job and employ urself, If it's easy. Then u can pay yourself and employees million of nira.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Sniper101(m): 10:12pm On Jun 29, 2022
Romanoff:
Depends on the location and other teaching certification you have.

I know teachers earning way above 300k monthly.

You lie so brazenly cheesy
And I like that about you grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by armyofone(m): 10:13pm On Jun 29, 2022
Nigeria parents don't even know how to team up through PTA and put their kids education in their own (parents) hands and create incentives for teachers- continue to wait on govt and 30k teachers to help build a great classroom experience for your children.

They would rather spend time having sex and "borning" babies like rabbit undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by vickydevoka(m): 10:15pm On Jun 29, 2022
Romanoff:
Depends on the location and other teaching certification you have.

I know teachers earning way above 300k monthly.
You are right
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Peterlawyer(m): 10:16pm On Jun 29, 2022
BLIVESHEALTH:
I have a better offer for you online i sent you a mail
hi bro i need one too i just completed my M.sc Physics with Electronics
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Majesty33(m): 10:20pm On Jun 29, 2022
Nazgul:
If you don't have any job you're currently doing I'll advice you to take the offer. With time you can approach parents to request for private lessons for the kids, that one pays more.

Most private schools are going through hell in this economy, and most parents can't even afford the ever increasing fees, and remember that they pay per term, whereras salary is per month. This means that whatever fees they collect from the students would be used to run the school for the next 3-4 months.

Now the problem here is that most students owe the school and refuse to pay, this would make the management look to alternatives means or even loans to pay you guys and run the school activities with hopes that when their student pays up within the month they can settle everything.... unfortunately in most cases this doesn't happen.

I have a relative that runs a primary school, who usually narrates her ordeal to me. There was a day she brought out her records and showed me debts of students over the years, I kid you not, those debts were running into millions. I really felt sorry for her.
Old don't cajole him to take this offer cos u end up impoverishing him. Teaching job drains mentally and physically. Mark my word, these schools make hell of money compared to the debt they face. I guess u are a either a school owner or a principal. Private school owners are just too wicked.

3 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by JasmineQ(f): 10:21pm On Jun 29, 2022
Teachers are really trying a lot, I personally praise a lot of them. Even parents are complaining with 2 to 4 kids, talk more of handling 15 to 20 as the case may be.

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by vickydevoka(m): 10:23pm On Jun 29, 2022
Petrepan231:
Pos agent,bet9ja staffs, mouka foam low workers dae earn less down 25k a month and dem go close by 6pm and dem dae do am u see 30k u dae form. Geddifok
Useless talk

2 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by FreeSpirited: 10:24pm On Jun 29, 2022
Romanoff:

How many years experience do you have?

You can use these small paying jobs to get experience. After that, the next job you'd get could be better.

I'm talking about UK certifications and all these montessori certifications.
U no geh sense......what experience do you need to teach Ss1 student. A BSC holder...

2 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by fisayodayo: 10:25pm On Jun 29, 2022
I taught in a primary school as a class teacher, I teach more than 10 subjects.
My pay then was 4.5k, I was employed with school cert. then.
After NYSC, I joined a private school that pays 45k, I teach 3 subjects in just a class of 15 students. PC, AC , a table and a comfortable chair.
But yet I wasn’t satisfied why?
1. Cost of living, my tent is around 150k
2. Parents are terrible plus you can’t discipline those children because CCTV is everywhere.
My pupils boasts that I can spank them because I will sacked if I do so. Hmmm
Pupils are spoilt brat and the day you lose temper you may be arrested by police through parents.
Now, I’m out of the school to focus on something else.
Very soon, I will start teaching in a university .

3 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by BePrepared: 10:26pm On Jun 29, 2022
Wow
U rejected 30k job

I know a school bsc holders are getting 13k

2 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by AsapTeddy(m): 10:27pm On Jun 29, 2022
Toeyean1507:

This is gonna be lengthy cos I will be giving illustrations.

Firstly, your relative should try to improve the welfare of his staff. When teachers are treated nicely in terms of prompt payment of salaries and good welfare, they tend to be stucked.
1. Let your him give incentives in terms of payment of staff's kids fees 2. Let him introduce a cooperative society where he will be running with the staff and they will have access to loans of considerable interests. By doing this, it will be difficult for teachers to leave
Secondly, let him organize a PTA where he will discuss with parents on the kind payment that will be convenient for them. I once worked in a school that did such, some parents pay weekly and some pay monthly. What we did was to divide the ward(s) fee per week or month so the parents know the amount they are to pay and failure to meet up, we will advise you keep your child at home. We usually call parents weekly and monthly just to remind them and also 'pray' for them. At the end of that time, we recorded bad debt of about 50k. I knew this cos I was the cashier.
Thirdly, let him try everything possible to keep his staff cos parents don't appreciate schools where teachers are being replaced often,hence, my first point.
I worked in a school and was earning 24k. I was taking Maths, Agric and also was the cashier yet, it never cross my mind to seek greener pastures cos my boss was always there for us.
So, there you have it!

See point oh..
Even yourself dey contribute to the slavery.

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Deltawarri(m): 10:27pm On Jun 29, 2022
I just want to serve Nigerians & Go home - Peter Obi tell NLC, TUC
Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA2au2mzdoY
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by vikaosi: 10:28pm On Jun 29, 2022
Nazgul:
If you don't have any job you're currently doing I'll advice you to take the offer. With time you can approach parents to request for private lessons for the kids, that one pays more.

Most private schools are going through hell in this economy, and most parents can't even afford the ever increasing fees, and remember that they pay per term, whereras the salary is per month. This means that whatever fees they collect from the students would be used to run the school for the next 3-4 months.

Now the problem here is that most students owe the school and refuse to pay, this would make the management look to alternatives means or even loans to pay you guys and run the school activities with hopes that when their student pays up within the month they can settle everything.... unfortunately in most cases, this doesn't happen.

I have a relative that runs a primary school, who usually narrates her ordeal to me. There was a day she brought out her records and showed me debts of students over the years, I kid you not, those debts were running into millions. I felt sorry for her.

I agree to the extent that if you don't have any other thing doing, you can take the offer on a temporary basis. The little you can save will be useful in further developing yourself. Somehow, prepare yourself and show up, who knows where your help will come from. Could even be from a student or a parent.

Importantly, that you started with a 20k or 30k job doesn't mean you will do it for long. So many people who are doing great today at some point took a teaching job to keep body and soul together.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by bonnyhope: 10:33pm On Jun 29, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

This is exploitation 30k for teaching job in this economic situation is very poor.

As far back as 2012, as a fresh graduate, I was started with 28k for teaching job later increased to 34k.

The students population was around 250 and 40k school fees.

In your own case, how is the standard of school like?
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Toeyean1507(f): 10:35pm On Jun 29, 2022
AsapTeddy:

See point oh..
Even yourself dey contribute to the slavery.
I'm not.
Read the part where I said his relative should 'treat his staff WELL'
Treating a staff well doesn't involve only good salary. There are other great incentives that comes with.
I only gave that illustration just to drive home my point.
What I gained as incentives from the school I was being paid 24k, years ago are some of the things putting food on my table right now.
Do you know that my boss sent me for a training that cost him thousands of naira? Also, I got so many stuffs from the cooperative society he founded with 5% on any amount borrowed+ u can spread the payment for as long as 5years.
Right now, I'm using the certification from the training to earn REAL figures.

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by adeiza4u(m): 10:41pm On Jun 29, 2022
No matter what you are paid, most private schools are slavery boot. I get paid 60k but I can't just wait to celebrate my freedom. My advice? if you have some money to take you, ditch the job and embrace freelancing. Develop and horn a skill to sell out there. And you'll thank heaven in no distant time. I'm switching to freelance writing soon. Was so elated when I earned 72k from Freelance writing in a week which is more than my salary. Leverage Youtube and Google to learn everything. Don't go buy thrash courses o. God bless you bro.
HenryIgwe01:

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by adeiza4u(m): 10:45pm On Jun 29, 2022
Henryigwe01, you can become a remote accountant to startups. Go learn how to use accounting softwares including something quilbot and enter freelancing. Use YouTube. All is there free.

2 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Minjim: 10:55pm On Jun 29, 2022
That's exactly what it is in most private schools
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by paulGrundy(m): 10:57pm On Jun 29, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

Depending on the private school. Some private schools in the island pays 80-100k for entry level teachers. Aim for those ones.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Tioluwani Comfort Is Best Graduating Student At University Of Wales, UK / 2013 Waec Result Is Out - How To Check Yours Now / Yabatech, Lagos Is On Fire [live Photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.