Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now (26563 Views)

I Made 4.38 CGPA And I'm So Happy... / What Course Did You Study In The Tertiary Institution And What's your job now? / MADONNA UNIVERSITY (modern Day Slavery) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Romanoff(f): 6:52am On Jun 30, 2022
fishnburger:

wE DECEIVE OURSELVES WITH ARGUMENTS LIKE THIS! is this the norm? What % of teachers earn this? For those that do, what guarantees are there on the job?
The education sector is a failed sector already.
Meanwhile, a school needs Science/Math, English, Social sciences teachers.
Salary negotiable.
Accommodation available.
Days of work negotiable.
Qualifications
NCE, Bsc
Faith any, Muslim prefarable
If interested or know people interested, please send cv to folusojimoh@gmail.com

As much as we say teachers earn peanuts, there are some amongst them that earn as decent enough pay.

So would teachers not aspire to a level where they can earn good wages?

Is there a price to pay? Of course.

It's the same reason and inexperienced graduate of accounting won't earn the same with someone with ICAN, ACCA, MBA and years of experience.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by SAMBARRY: 6:52am On Jun 30, 2022
Khez:
Very unfortunate, when I am dragging my company that 350k salary is not enough in the present situation APC has put us into , I don’t know people still say they’d pay people 30k for what exactly? If na me na to open shop on top those children head o
lol if the school discovers He might be sacked and/or arrested depending on the parents view o

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by tanimusaeedu: 6:55am On Jun 30, 2022
Just manage the work for a while look for another job and if possible acquire a barbing skills which may likely help u tomorrow my dear brother I am presently teacher but I have a barbershop where I earn 4k to 8k daily so see my brother.

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by alizma: 6:55am On Jun 30, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
A private school called me for an interview last week Monday. As a job hunter I'm always prepared for any interviews. So when I got there, It's was a 3 segments interview (written test, oral and micro teaching)

As a Bsc graduate in Accounting Education, I was given financial accounting, English language and current affairs for the written test interview. The account and English was WAEC standard questions. After the written test interview, the principal said he will call me for further interviews if i pass the test.

On Thursday morning, I received a call from the school inviting me for further interviews which is oral and micro teaching. When I got there, the principal was asking me loads of questions like why should I hire you? How many years experience do you have? How do you discipline a child? how can you make this school grow? Can we trust you with our female students? bla bla bla... After that we went to the classroom for the final segment which was micro teaching.

After everything, he employed me and we started discussing about the subject I will teach and the salary. The principal said I will be teaching Accounting, Economics and Marketing (ss1 - ss3), I said no problem.

What really got me angry was about the salary, he said he's willing to pay me 30k without negotiation.

As if that wasn't enough, he later said he can also call me anytime to teach any subject if the particular subject teacher isn't around. I was just laughing in my mind.

The principal was expecting me to resume today, he has been calling me since morning, I haven't picked his calls. I'm not a slave.

Mind you, this is a standard private school and my "least" expectation was 45k, Assuming he was willing to pay 45k, I would have resumed today.

Why are private schools so wicked? Is teaching job now a modern day slavery? I'm tired of this country.
You were not sure of your own value that was why you didn't say anything when he told you he was going to pay 30k not negotiable. I guess you got home and review it and then come up with what you put up here. I would have think otherwise if the principal said your salary will be base on the school standard and you later realized the so called school salary standard is below your expectations but in this case, the man told you what he was willing to pay. The right thing would have be to respond immediately irrespective of his non negotiable position, then he would have understood immediately that he has to review his position or forget about you and believe me he would have been calling you to offer something higher because it appears you did well during the interview.

3 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Romanoff(f): 6:56am On Jun 30, 2022
Newborn27:

For this Nigeria?

Abeg link me to the school address.... I'm ready to relocate to wherever it is....I'm very sure I'd be employed once there is vacancy.... I'm sure of my skills and teaching experience.

Please, share the address of the school... I'm seriously serious!
Biko

Guy, schools in Wuse 2, Maitama, Gwarimpa, Guzape dey pay well.

My friend that started as a guidance counselor started with 30k in one school in Lugbe, from there to Olumawu, then to Premier, then to one school in Gwarimpa. Now he works in a school in Maitama and lives in a 600k yearly two bedroom, e dey plan wed in less than 3 months. His salary is around the range I quoted there.

Teachers earn more than him.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Basher8583: 6:58am On Jun 30, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
A private school called me for an interview last week Monday. As a job hunter I'm always prepared for any interviews. So when I got there, It's was a 3 segments interview (written test, oral and micro teaching)

As a Bsc graduate in Accounting Education, I was given financial accounting, English language and current affairs for the written test interview. The account and English was WAEC standard questions. After the written test interview, the principal said he will call me for further interviews if i pass the test.

On Thursday morning, I received a call from the school inviting me for further interviews which is oral and micro teaching. When I got there, the principal was asking me loads of questions like why should I hire you? How many years experience do you have? How do you discipline a child? how can you make this school grow? Can we trust you with our female students? bla bla bla... After that we went to the classroom for the final segment which was micro teaching.

After everything, he employed me and we started discussing about the subject I will teach and the salary. The principal said I will be teaching Accounting, Economics and Marketing (ss1 - ss3), I said no problem.

What really got me angry was about the salary, he said he's willing to pay me 30k without negotiation.

As if that wasn't enough, he later said he can also call me anytime to teach any subject if the particular subject teacher isn't around. I was just laughing in my mind.

The principal was expecting me to resume today, he has been calling me since morning, I haven't picked his calls. I'm not a slave.

Mind you, this is a standard private school and my "least" expectation was 45k, Assuming he was willing to pay 45k, I would have resumed today.

Why are private schools so wicked? Is teaching job now a modern day slavery? I'm tired of this country.

Its not slavery so long as you were not compelled to do it. Its your choice. You dont like it then leave. Thats your employers offer.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by tanimusaeedu: 6:59am On Jun 30, 2022
Just manage the work for a while look for another job and if possible acquire a barbing skills which may likely help u tomorrow my dear brother I am presently a teacher but I have a barbershop where I earn 4k to 8k daily so see my brother.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Aystarz: 7:02am On Jun 30, 2022
Beetunez44:
I had similar experience some months ago.

I was called to show up for an interview. I dressed up in one of my finest shirt and pants and matched it up with a correct leather shoe (UK standard).

I got to the venue, scanned through the environment and was wowed with the landmass and structures.

The interview began with an oral test which I aced, then a micro teaching session which I aced too (the feedbacks from the students were satisfactory) and a written test too.

The time for negotiations came and I was asked to name an asking price. I said some beautiful things to lay the foundation (as a creative writer na) and proceeded further to demand for 40k (negotiable).

The principal responded with a smile and said he doesn't even earn that much (I quaked! Little wonder I noticed none of them expressed any iota of Joy).

He said I do not have a formal teaching experience (upon say I indicate say I be public speaker and a leader figure o).

So, he said I'll be paid 20k and that I will be taking chemistry, biology, and basic science.

I glanced through their timetable and I knew instantly that it's a suicide mission. Hence, I aborted the mission instantly.

Feeding and transport (subsidized) will cost me around 12k per month.

I reject nonsense. I just concluded that "sometimes it is better to be static than to run in a circle/cycle"
grin

All these principals no even dey shame quote salary give graduates anymore. Dem be like APC wey no dey shame tell Nigerians they've impoverished to vote for dem again.
One of the damning effects of corruption!
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Toriagirl(f): 7:06am On Jun 30, 2022
Even corpers wey dey earn 33k, are complaining here and there that their money is like ritual money.
For that principal mind he has done so much for you, he has taken away your sorrow, pls keep on trying God will surely bless you with a good paying job.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Dirkcoyt: 7:09am On Jun 30, 2022
AsapTeddy:

See point oh..
Even yourself dey contribute to the slavery.
Omo I was expecting something brilliant despite her hype only to find out these points Omo I was embarrassed!! grin

Well there are levels to this thing so she probably thought she’s making a kill there
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Ara21(f): 7:10am On Jun 30, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
If you noticed, I was ready to take the job despite teaching 3 subjects but 30k is too small for a whole month.

guy reason am too nw. It's not fair. And he's not ready for negotiation.

Please bro don't bother explaining any further, the school fees of two students will be far more than that 30k and there may be more than a hundred students in that school. Leave the man is just being wicked.

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by dangoteinlaw: 7:12am On Jun 30, 2022
Makinaki:
Good on you, bro. One has to stand for something. Ordinary my housegirl, I pay my her N50k/month + feeding & accommodation. Nigerians can be so exploitative abeg.
Andrew Tate says that every man has nothing more than 20years to figure out their life and get rich. Being rich at old age is pointless.

3 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by harjay1986: 7:12am On Jun 30, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

my brother our education is underated and lack motivation, my advice go and learn how to dive in a shallow water or as a fireman which will only take you six month or so then swnd me a message I can link u up to something better... a diver for where i work that cant write his name on paper go home with 210k monthly aside other benefit .....
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Newton2024: 7:18am On Jun 30, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

The standard private schools in Ekiti are paying less than 30k per month. Same in Osun. Talking from experience.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Aystarz: 7:19am On Jun 30, 2022
cobsol:

How much will your presence bring to the company? How much is your worth? You will be surprise it might not be upto 30k

You really are uncouth and very disrespectful to the OP. Who raised you?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Harold2204: 7:21am On Jun 30, 2022
Ohh
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Amelia23477: 7:22am On Jun 30, 2022
O
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Coolgent(m): 7:23am On Jun 30, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

Answer his call and tell him bluntly that u will only work for him if he is willing to part with 45k monthly
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by OVB123: 7:24am On Jun 30, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
If you noticed, I was ready to take the job despite teaching 3 subjects but 30k is too small for a whole month.

Why don't you take the job for the may time to keep the body and soul together. Why believing god for a better one.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Nobody: 7:28am On Jun 30, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

Lol omo what about me that's collecting 8k per month in a private nursery and primary school /secondary school, infact my start up salary was 7k teaching primary 5 and computer science and basic technology for jss1 and 2.

Well na ASUU cause am sha �.... If will be writing my final year exams next month .
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Uptheante(m): 7:29am On Jun 30, 2022
fisayodayo:
I taught in a primary school as a class teacher, I teach more than 10 subjects.
My pay then was 4.5k, I was employed with school cert. then.
After NYSC, I joined a private school that pays 45k, I teach 3 subjects in just a class of 15 students. PC, AC , a table and a comfortable chair.
But yet I wasn’t satisfied why?
1. Cost of living, my tent is around 150k
2. Parents are terrible plus you can’t discipline those children because CCTV is everywhere.
My pupils boasts that I can spank them because I will sacked if I do so. Hmmm
Pupils are spoilt brat and the day you lose temper you may be arrested by police through parents.
Now, I’m out of the school to focus on something else.
Very soon, I will start teaching in a university .
grin just imagine their effontry

2 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Antivirus92(m): 7:30am On Jun 30, 2022
you're complaining? I know private schools that still pay 20,000 and 25,000 up till now
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by tonyson010(m): 7:44am On Jun 30, 2022
fullnetwork:
This is bloody. 30k for three or more subjects?
Guy, just keep posting him because he does not deserve a definite answer. I'm sure he can't give his son this slave type offer. Even cleaners in so organisation earn close to this. How much more those that are guiding the future of this country.

it is too poor.
the fact it is 3 subjects.

the guy would have drop a text message that 45k is the least he can accept.
if the principal wants him, they will reach out, if not, they should go hire anyone so desperate to do it for them.

close market.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by adeiza4u(m): 7:45am On Jun 30, 2022
CaveAdullam:

Good day.

Please, how were you able to breakthrough in your freelance writing?
send a DM, let's hook up.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by CaveAdullam: 7:49am On Jun 30, 2022
adeiza4u:
send a DM, let's hook up.

Alright.

Sent.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by AlphaStorm: 7:55am On Jun 30, 2022
BePrepared:
Wow
U rejected 30k job

I know a school bsc holders are getting 13k

Whats ur point MuthaFucka

U want him to accept the slave job??

Are u Nuts ?���
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by tibatobi: 7:56am On Jun 30, 2022
dangoteinlaw:
Better go back and take the offer oh unless u want to become a pos agent haha
I tot I read that pos now requires ican, naija na cruise lol.
if u have ur own POS shop u will earn times 5 of that
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by abdabass: 8:04am On Jun 30, 2022
Good day,
You have not done well by ignoring his calls. Answer his call and let him know that salary is the reason why you did not resume.
Perchanse, that will open room for negotiation. You will be able to tell him what your expectation is.

2 Likes

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by prophetfire: 8:04am On Jun 30, 2022
HenryIgwe01:

. I stand with you on this. Don't take it. Persevere and look for something reasonable. Meanwhile you can do small small things to be holding yourself while you get something reasonable.
The reason they offer this thrash slavery peanuts to people is because of the despration of some persons to get employed even when they know the job can't help them get better in life.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by naturefellow(m): 8:05am On Jun 30, 2022
dangoteinlaw:
Better go back and take the offer oh unless u want to become a pos agent haha
I tot I read that pos now requires ican, naija na cruise lol.
is POS not honest work anymore. Clown!
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by saintruky(m): 8:08am On Jun 30, 2022
That's 10k per subject lol...

Left for me, u should have picked his call n told him u can't accept 30k n tell him wat u can accept... Perhaps he'd change his mind...

Was how a school in abuja where my girl applied offered her 30k... She declined n it was raised to 35k... She still declined... A week later owner of school finally pegged it at 40 (wat my babe said she'd accept) only for her to decline again... I saw reasons with her...

Now she's got series of offers from top notch schools in abuja n some firms...

So OP pick d man call n tell him ur mind... He alone knew wat he saw in u during d interview phases... He'll grant ur offer if u tell him

HenryIgwe01:

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by DollarSigns(m): 8:10am On Jun 30, 2022
doggedfighter:

Don't take that 30k job for a start. It kills self esteem.

Imagine all those stupid questions for 30k undecided

Insist on 45k or 50k for a start.

You will see. Keep searching !

September is a new session. Teachers will be needed.

I hope you get something better than teaching before then .

Why the heck does Nairaland not have a love emoji angry
But tbh, I think I’ll need a truckload of it for you
Ever seen a lady with so much empathy and a little touch of doggedness cheesy

A minute, I need to light up my Loud
my heart’s bout to burst with boiling emotions wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How To Check JAMB Re-assignment Status / Lost WAEC Certificate, Please How Do I Get Another One? / Emiene Amali-Adekwu Graduates As Best Southeastern University Lakeland Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.