Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,723 members, 7,802,180 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:35 AM

Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now (26529 Views)

I Made 4.38 CGPA And I'm So Happy... / What Course Did You Study In The Tertiary Institution And What's your job now? / MADONNA UNIVERSITY (modern Day Slavery) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by naturefellow(m): 8:11am On Jun 30, 2022
After the gruelling interviews, only to offer N30k like an NPower beneficiary.
Good decision. Shows you value yourself. And I hope you get work with more deserving take-home. And while you do, please, acquire skills, digital skills that can help boost your income on the side.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Bimiafashion(f): 8:20am On Jun 30, 2022
Rachel98:
Some private schools are still paying teachers 20k sef.

May God Help us in this country.
Less than 20k. There is a school in my area that the kindergaten are paying 21k as school fees. And the school pays the secondary teachers 18k.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by ozo13(m): 8:47am On Jun 30, 2022
fullnetwork:
This is bloody. 30k for three or more subjects?
Guy, just keep posting him because he does not deserve a definite answer. I'm sure he can't give his son this slave type offer. Even cleaners in so organisation earn close to this. How much more those that are guiding the future of this country.
omo no cleaner/porter earn less than 30k in federal govt Currently.those in the hospital soon will be earning way above 40k for a start once hazard allowance is implemented.
There is problem in this country.that 30k is even difficult to feed oneself talk more of other people that will depend on it too else one will be tag with bad names.Nigeria is difficult at the moment.
Have bn thinking lately on how to cut my cost to fit the current situation of the country.

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by shegz24(m): 8:49am On Jun 30, 2022
.. Most jobs in Nigeria now are like slavery.

When it comes to teaching for 30k , that is 1k per day when you remove transport its more like N600 per day for most.
that one is worse than slavery.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by timstone(m): 8:51am On Jun 30, 2022
fullnetwork:

Can this salary cover his transport, feeding?
Leave medical, housing, and general welfare first. This thing dey vex me like this already.

My brother if you don't have money to start your own Bussiness. No body willing to assist you, just swallow your pride and keep going

Go ask university staff what they are passing through presently, because of the strike.
Belove. The country is rough.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Kaysalas(m): 8:53am On Jun 30, 2022
Cousin9999:
Go online and look for remote opportunities. You'll definitely make more than that for even a basic part-time clerical job. Once you get enough experience, you can get an American salary.
Can you please shed more light?
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by John360comng: 8:54am On Jun 30, 2022
fishnburger:

wE DECEIVE OURSELVES WITH ARGUMENTS LIKE THIS! is this the norm? What % of teachers earn this? For those that do, what guarantees are there on the job?
The education sector is a failed sector already.
Meanwhile, a school needs Science/Math, English, Social sciences teachers.
Salary negotiable.
Accommodation available.
Days of work negotiable.
Qualifications
NCE, Bsc
Faith any, Muslim prefarable
If interested or know people interested, please send cv to folusojimoh@gmail.com

Is the school a Muslim school?
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by imagrg(m): 8:55am On Jun 30, 2022
Just pick up the job while looking for a better one.
doggedfighter:

Better to stay idle than be a beast of burden !

I am angry !

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by tonyson010(m): 9:00am On Jun 30, 2022
Totiemide:
Since that salary isn't negotiable, please avoid that job e get why.

I once worked in a private school as an account officer sometimes last year. Big school, well structured and established but the way they treat their staff ehn.

As the school accountant I was earning 40k, if I minus food and transport I barely save 5k in a month. Funny thing is I know the amount expected per term but the amount paid to staffs won't dent the initial amount for that term but the owner of the school ll still complain and say he's over paying staff. If you know how much the student pay ehn, even their parents feel the school pay staffs close to 150k. Some parents sef ll threaten to report you that you don't know your job on top how much.

Teachers take up to 3 to 4 subjects, no free period because they use it to mark or grade their students and they're still paid same amount with me or less. Il

Queries nko? If your student make noise, you collect query. If you no greet the owner of the school well query and query is 5k that's if you even reply the query letter well, if not you go home with 15k or less.
Sometimes I pity the teachers because they collect query anyhow.

Why I left there was because I don't have time to seek for other opportunities because even mid term, holidays o we are expected to come to work. They even have the habit of making you see yourself less

Pardon my stories, what I mean to say is don't accept that job.

it is so bad.

the big problem is that some people open business, don't nurture it to grow and will be expecting fast huge profits.
school management is often poor always transfering blames and punishment to teachers.

I can't take a teaching job in secondary or primary school, the pay is poor and the pressure is too big.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Plugsk(m): 9:00am On Jun 30, 2022
Wahala for who still feel say these white collar jobs na for your progress. undecided
HenryIgwe01:
A private school called me for an interview last week Monday. As a job hunter I'm always prepared for any interviews. So when I got there, It's was a 3 segments interview (written test, oral and micro teaching)

As a Bsc graduate in Accounting Education, I was given financial accounting, English language and current affairs for the written test interview. The account and English was WAEC standard questions. After the written test interview, the principal said he will call me for further interviews if i pass the test.

On Thursday morning, I received a call from the school inviting me for further interviews which is oral and micro teaching. When I got there, the principal was asking me loads of questions like why should I hire you? How many years experience do you have? How do you discipline a child? how can you make this school grow? Can we trust you with our female students? bla bla bla... After that we went to the classroom for the final segment which was micro teaching.

After everything, he employed me and we started discussing about the subject I will teach and the salary. The principal said I will be teaching Accounting, Economics and Marketing (ss1 - ss3), I said no problem.

What really got me angry was about the salary, he said he's willing to pay me 30k without negotiation.

As if that wasn't enough, he later said he can also call me anytime to teach any subject if the particular subject teacher isn't around. I was just laughing in my mind.

The principal was expecting me to resume today, he has been calling me since morning, I haven't picked his calls. I'm not a slave.

Mind you, this is a standard private school and my "least" expectation was 45k, Assuming he was willing to pay 45k, I would have resumed today.

Why are private schools so wicked? Is teaching job now a modern day slavery? I'm tired of this country.

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Kaysalas(m): 9:00am On Jun 30, 2022
iammarvellux:

Same here bro, mine was that I endured the N30k sake of the school was a little distance from my house, I was in that mess while looking for another job since am a family man. Before a year with them God delivered me from the private school slavery. Thank God I got a non- teaching job now while I do remote jobs to add to the stream of income because our currency is not smilling.
Good day, kindly tell me more about the remote jobs

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by kokomilala(m): 9:04am On Jun 30, 2022
The Worst Job Niche In This Part Of The Atlantic

Yes, it is. I've had some unsavoury experiences. When I graduated in 2004, I started teaching at a school 3 minutes walk from home. The pay was 12k, part time. I revolutionized a lot of things about the school: the comportment of students, the organization of the classroom in the events of overflow of WAEC and JAMB students, the discipline across board. They tried all tricks possible to make me a permanent teacher. I stuck to my guns.

After 8 months, I left because the owner owed me 5 months salaries. He later paid reluctantly.

I had stints elsewhere, where teachers were- still- paid like slaves. It's better to do side hustles than to be enslaved by these shylocks called school owners.

Another thing is that the government should look into these private schools and consider their remuneration with a view to fine tuning it to be at par with their public schools counterparts.

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Hollubiyih(m): 9:05am On Jun 30, 2022
May God help you, I will advice you take extra lesson cos these parents understood teachers when it comes to private teaching and with this, you name your price base on Transport, numbers of day which may not be everyday. With this you will have time for other things without stress. Please wise up, that's what I do and this pays
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by ozo13(m): 9:07am On Jun 30, 2022
Bimiafashion:
Less than 20k. There is a school in my area that the kindergaten are paying 21k as school fees. And the school pays the secondary teachers 18k.
na so oo.the country jus dey anyhow.how will someone cope with 18k through the month.may be the teachers will come down to work with say a bike man.that alone will suck like 3k from the 18k.
Na only strong men no reason crime to feed with the way the country dey now.may God help us
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Hollubiyih(m): 9:09am On Jun 30, 2022
Assume you have three students collecting 15k monthly. This will even be evening o after the students close spending 2hrs attending to them. Please think about this. All those class teaching work exhaust your energy and potential and no encouragement for your efforts

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by MHOOZEES(m): 9:22am On Jun 30, 2022
My friend if you reading this message, pls go and start something even if it small ...cos with 30k in Nigeria you can never grow, that 50dollars equivalent...think what am I go at....what can I create....Slaves earn more than 30k....pls don't pick the Job cos it will kill your moral for future endeavours

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by NeoWanZaeed(m): 9:25am On Jun 30, 2022
Do another job that pays better. The END.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by fishnburger: 9:27am On Jun 30, 2022
aRE YOU A TEacHER?
IF You've been iN tHIS Sector, I guess you'll understand a loT.
the QUoTA for 350k SALARY is TOO TINY...ITS NEGLIGIBLE.
available space is highly booked. ASiDE QUALIFICATioNS, TOO MANY fActors are involved.
if you've been here (teacher sector), you'll understand.
MeanwhiLE AT LEAST (TO BE MODEST) 85% OF SCHOOLS FALL IN THE 30K CATEGORY.
THERE'S A HIGHER CHANCE a teacher WILL FALL in This CATEGORY THAN NOT.
PROBABILITY - MATH TOPIC HERE.
reality, it's either you are in or nOT. CHOOSE TO BE A tEACHER oR nOT.
Romanoff:

As much as we say teachers earn peanuts, there are some amongst them that earn as decent enough pay.

So would teachers not aspire to a level where they can earn good wages?

Is there a price to pay? Of course.

It's the same reason and inexperienced graduate of accounting won't earn the same with someone with ICAN, ACCA, MBA and years of experience.

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Sniper101(m): 9:27am On Jun 30, 2022
Romanoff:

Na your exposure and limitations dey make you reason say teachers come this life to suffer.

Even guidance counselor wey I know for better private school for Abuja dey collect 250k.

Comot for trenches wey you dey in Jesus name.

Hanty, na teachers receiving 300k na e be the bone of contention here. not guidance and counselor receiving 250k.
Point the main shit out properly and leave the other shit behind.

N no try follow me up with insult again
I beg you.

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by fishnburger: 9:29am On Jun 30, 2022
yeS It IS
John360comng:

Is the school a Muslim school?
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by eitsei(m): 9:31am On Jun 30, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
A private school called me for an interview last week Monday. As a job hunter I'm always prepared for any interviews. So when I got there, It's was a 3 segments interview (written test, oral and micro teaching)

As a Bsc graduate in Accounting Education, I was given financial accounting, English language and current affairs for the written test interview. The account and English was WAEC standard questions. After the written test interview, the principal said he will call me for further interviews if i pass the test.

On Thursday morning, I received a call from the school inviting me for further interviews which is oral and micro teaching. When I got there, the principal was asking me loads of questions like why should I hire you? How many years experience do you have? How do you discipline a child? how can you make this school grow? Can we trust you with our female students? bla bla bla... After that we went to the classroom for the final segment which was micro teaching.

After everything, he employed me and we started discussing about the subject I will teach and the salary. The principal said I will be teaching Accounting, Economics and Marketing (ss1 - ss3), I said no problem.

What really got me angry was about the salary, he said he's willing to pay me 30k without negotiation.

As if that wasn't enough, he later said he can also call me anytime to teach any subject if the particular subject teacher isn't around. I was just laughing in my mind.

The principal was expecting me to resume today, he has been calling me since morning, I haven't picked his calls. I'm not a slave.

Mind you, this is a standard private school and my "least" expectation was 45k, Assuming he was willing to pay 45k, I would have resumed today.

Why are private schools so wicked? Is teaching job now a modern day slavery? I'm tired of this country.
it is a modern day slavery to teach in private school

I do private tutorials instead, you will be in control of your time and you earn more

also you won't have the burden of writing lesson notes and all the stress attached.. in the meantime look for other things to do either learn a new skill or new certifications
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by eitsei(m): 9:32am On Jun 30, 2022
HenryIgwe01:
If you noticed, I was ready to take the job despite teaching 3 subjects but 30k is too small for a whole month.

guy reason am too nw. It's not fair. And he's not ready for negotiation.
na so one school offer me 19800 last year, I told him even corpers earn more than that

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by adeiza4u(m): 9:33am On Jun 30, 2022
CaveAdullam:

Alright.

Sent.
replied
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Romanoff(f): 9:34am On Jun 30, 2022
Sniper101:

Hanty, na teachers receiving 300k na e be the bone of contention here. not guidance and counselor receiving 250k.
Point the main shit out properly and leave the other shit behind.

N no try follow me up with insult again
I beg you.

They pay teachers better than guidance counselor. Na wetin I dey tell you be that.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by CaveAdullam: 9:35am On Jun 30, 2022
adeiza4u:
replied

Seen. I already sent a DM on WhatsApp.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by eitsei(m): 9:36am On Jun 30, 2022
Romanoff:

I know. But don't give up. The 30k job might not be worth it but if you get one that pays between 40-50k, take it and use it to get experience.

Na through my friends for Abuja I take know say teaching dey pay.
I do private tutorials and close to 100k monthly

I left teaching in private schools when the last one I did was paying me 22k and since I looked toward private tutorials, I never looked back.. I even have jobs I don't take because I don't have time
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Romanoff(f): 9:36am On Jun 30, 2022
fishnburger:
aRE YOU A TEacHER?
IF You've been iN tHIS Sector, I guess you'll understand a loT.
the QUoTA for 350k SALARY is TOO TINY...ITS NEGLIGIBLE.
available space is highly booked. ASiDE QUALIFICATioNS, TOO MANY fActors are involved.
if you've been here (teacher sector), you'll understand.
MeanwhiLE AT LEAST (TO BE MODEST) 85% OF SCHOOLS FALL IN THE 30K CATEGORY.
THERE'S A HIGHER CHANCE a teacher WILL FALL in This CATEGORY THAN NOT.
PROBABILITY - MATH TOPIC HERE.
reality, it's either you are in or nOT. CHOOSE TO BE A tEACHER oR nOT.

I'm saying that those wey dey earn well no get ten heads now. Even nursery school teacher for Maitama dey collect 100k monthly.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Dagenius53: 9:42am On Jun 30, 2022
Teaching job has always been modern slavery, I was teaching in one secondary school years back, I was teaching 4subjects from ss1-ss3 trust me I was given 15k monthly. But we thank God now sha.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by McKayConcept(m): 9:59am On Jun 30, 2022
check this out if you want to make monthly passive income without stress

https://www.dmining.top/index.html#/register?recommendCode=92056808

No time for plenty talk...only those who need it and know the value will take action

chat me on 09032335253
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by TheSociopath(m): 10:10am On Jun 30, 2022
dangoteinlaw:
Better go back and take the offer oh unless u want to become a pos agent haha
I tot I read that pos now requires ican, naija na cruise lol.

Some POS people earn more than that in a month
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by Mekanus(m): 10:15am On Jun 30, 2022
JohnOkolo:

Please please and please go get in-demand skills like Graphic designing, Web development and more.

I have not worked for an employer fully since 2015. Currently I earn 150k working twice in a week as a Digital marketer and Graphic designer for a startup.

I can't be a slave in this life. That's why when some low standard paying guys see me spending my hard earned money they think am into fraud or something else.

If you don't want to be a slave please learn some skills and if you even need to know how to go about it. I can be your mentor.

Am pained seeing this as I type. Please feel free to reach out so we discuss more. You have the spirit to succeed since you have the sense to discern what is not good for you
I'd like to contact you bro.
Re: Is Teaching Job Now A Modern Day Slavery?? Honestly I'm So Angry Right Now by dangoteinlaw: 10:16am On Jun 30, 2022
TheSociopath:

Some POS people earn more than that in a month
yeah but risky. Areas where it's lucrative will be highly risky. One little incident your capital is gone.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Child Needs A Change Of Handwriting / Nigerian Schoolgirls Win International Mobile App Competition In US. Photos / Tioluwani Comfort Is Best Graduating Student At University Of Wales, UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.