Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:38 AM

Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? (47720 Views)

Is This Pure Act Of Slavery Or Real Job Vacancy? (Picture) / Slavery In Our Labour Market / Isn't The Currently Trending HR Outsourcing System A Subtle Mode Of Slavery? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Spray(m): 5:38am On Jul 02, 2022
Had job offer... But there's a part of contract that's making me so scared. It says employee should not join any other company doing similar things or selling similar products for the period of one year, after terminating his/her appointment. Is this not a modern form of slavery?

107 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Nerogaming01(m): 5:47am On Jul 02, 2022
What are the consequences if you refuse to do as you were told?

Spray:
Had job offer... But there's a part of contract that's making me so scared. It says employee should not join any other company doing similar things or selling similar products for the period of one year, after terminating his/her appointment. Is this not a modern form of slavery?

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Spray(m): 5:59am On Jul 02, 2022
Nerogaming01:
What are the consequences if you refuse to do as you were told?

They didn't put consequences

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Benki003(m): 6:18am On Jul 02, 2022
Hmm op where you see the job offer first

36 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Nobody: 7:11am On Jul 02, 2022
Will they arrest your for working after they've fired you? Cos I don't understand.

What's their penalty if you try to work and not beg for urgent 2k for a whole year after they've fired you?

249 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by sammirano: 7:28am On Jul 02, 2022
That is a non-compete, nondisclosure clause. If the offer is worth it you may take it. If not move, some companies require up to 5 years in some countries.

178 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Spray(m): 7:49am On Jul 02, 2022
Olasyke:
Will they arrest your for working after they've fired you? Cos I don't understand.

My confuse is confused bro. Lol. I may decline the offer though

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by BigDawsNet: 8:15am On Jul 02, 2022
Pass it to an attorney to read before you sign...

117 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Gilgil: 8:54am On Jul 02, 2022
Its a standard agreement in mot companies especially tied to critical roles like R & D, Sales,

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by JoyousFurnitire(m): 8:56am On Jul 02, 2022
Nothing will happen bro, is the job on the Island?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Amarisco(f): 9:25am On Jul 02, 2022
Gilgil:
Its a standard agreement in mot companies especially tied to critical roles like R & D, Sales,

Yeah, it’s just to prevent a conflict of interest.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by IgiveLadiesBj(m): 10:59am On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

Like how much is the pay?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Abilistic(m): 11:18am On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

How Will they know if you join another company doing similar business after you resign or got fired?

I think they just want to scare people

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Spray(m): 11:28am On Jul 02, 2022
Abilistic:

How Will they know if you join another company doing similar business after you resign or got fired?

I think they just want to scare people
Lol. Some new employer call former

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by DaInferno(m): 11:48am On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:
no be today we dn d agree to terms and conditions still do wetin we want grin

80 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Festy4u(m): 11:55am On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

Your acceptance of the offer by appending your signature is a ground for agreeing to the pact. If you leave the company in the future or get sacked and you don't exercise that 1 year window of not working with a sister company as you duly signed then the company can sue you for breach of contract agreement.

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Spray(m): 12:01pm On Jul 02, 2022
Festy4u:

Your acceptance of the offer by appending your signature is a ground for agreeing to the pact. If you leave the company in the future or get sacked and you don't exercise that 1 year window of not working with a sister company as you duly signed then the company can sue you for breach of contract agreement.

Just acknowledged the mail. Make I take my time read well before I sign. Lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Festy4u(m): 12:18pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

Just acknowledged the mail. Make I take my time read well before I sign. Lol

Alright, all the best!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by LienwaltAbel(m): 2:54pm On Jul 02, 2022
Nna ehn. And when you tell them unchecked capitalism is equal to madness they'll call you a communist. Even if such kind of nonsense agreement is backed by law, it is what it is, legal slavery.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 02, 2022
This one na handicap them wan carry you o

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by inoki247: 3:34pm On Jul 02, 2022
lol the kain terms and conditions wey we dey jam for Nigeria dey shock...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by phemmyfour: 3:34pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:
Report them to the appropriate authority

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Chijeep(m): 3:34pm On Jul 02, 2022
Tinubu's urchins are in slavery already and it's far more worse than this one
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Cutehector(m): 3:34pm On Jul 02, 2022
Take it
Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Guguru102(m): 3:36pm On Jul 02, 2022
Woe (judgment is coming) to those who drag along wickedness with cords of falsehood, And sin as if with cart ropes [towing their own punishment]; Who say, “Let Him move speedily, let Him expedite His work [His promised vengeance], so that we may see it; And let the purpose of the Holy One of Israel approach And come to pass, so that we may know it!” Woe (judgment is coming) to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter! Woe (judgment is coming) to those who are wise in their own eyes And clever and shrewd in their own sight! Woe (judgment is coming) to those who are heroes at drinking wine And men of strength in mixing intoxicating drinks, Who justify the wicked and acquit the guilty for a bribe, And take away the rights of those who are in the right! Therefore, as the tongue of fire consumes the stubble [from straw] And the dry grass collapses into the flame, So their root will become like rot and their blossom blow away like fine dust; Because they have rejected the law of the Lord of hosts And despised and discarded the word of the Holy One of Israel.

Repent and Believe in Jesus Christ, before it is too late.

1 Like

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Coronavirus84: 3:36pm On Jul 02, 2022
Tell them say you done hear

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jul 02, 2022
It is not slavery since you can decline the job offer if you're not comfortable with the inserted clauses.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by Fuckingmallam45(m): 3:36pm On Jul 02, 2022
Even employment itself is a modern kind of slavery.
In most employment settings, the people that write the checks control your time, the projects that you work on, how much you make, how you can and can’t dress, and more. If that’s not the definition of slavery, then I do not know what it is?

7 Likes

Re: Is This Not A Form Of Slavery? by linesng: 3:37pm On Jul 02, 2022
Spray:

Cosmetics company

Had similar offer once

But I stayed nothing to worry about

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Would You Give Blowjobs For 100k Monthly? Twitter User Narrates Ordeal / Fresh Graduate & Entry-level Jobs At MTN Nigeria / We Will Employ 500,000 Teachers In 2016 - Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.