Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,484 members, 7,781,451 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:36 PM

2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart (38035 Views)

Agboola Ajayi's Defection To ZLP Tears PDP Apart / Senate Leadership: Minority Leader Slot Tears PDP Senators Apart - The Nation / "I Will Die For Buhari" - Gov. Lalong Vows As Oshiomhole Urges Atiku's Rejection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by ghettokid1(m): 10:21am On Jul 02, 2022
One month after the victory of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar as the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, the party appears to be on a self-destruction path.

It would be recalled that Atiku emerged as the candidate following the dramatic stepdown of Aminu Tambuwal, a move that angered Governor Nyesom Wike and his allies.

“I just decided that this our party must not be destroyed. I would have left where I was sitting down and say this convention cannot go ahead except you allow me to talk. I would have flattened him,” Wike had said some days after the convention.

Many believed that the post-convention reconciliation would have addressed the fallout from the primary election, but the choice of Vice Presidential running mate has further polarized the party.

Atiku visited Wike at his residence in Abuja on the 30th of May, and promised to work with him closely to deliver the party in 2023.

While the PDP has been hailed to have been the only major political party to have sorted the issue of running mate, however, the choice of Delta State governor, Ifeanyi Okowa as running mate seems to be tearing the party apart.
So far, several PDP chieftains have openly challenged the process leading to the choice of Okowa, as many accused Atiku of not keeping to his promise to appoint Wike as running mate.

Although, Governor Wike had publicly said he would not accept to be running mate to anyone. “I’m not coming out to negotiate to be vice to anyone, I’m coming out to contest for the number one position in the country,” he had said.

However, former Governor of Ekiti State, Ayodele Fayose and Governor Samuel Ortom have recently claimed that Atiku offered the VP slot to Wike as compensation.

“Wike never said he wanted to be VP, but when Atiku visited him, he was the one who said, ‘I want you to be my VP’. He said that to Wike. If that then changes, is Wike not supposed to be told? Is he not supposed to know?” Fayose had told journalists.

This was also corroborated by Ortom, who questioned the rationale for jettisoning the recommendation of the 17-man committee on the Vice President.

During an interview on Channels TV, Ortom said 14 members of the committee voted in support of Wike, while only three backed Okowa. Adding that he is yet to decide on supporting Atiku, he nonetheless, admonished the PDP presidential candidate to reach out to Wike.In any case, there are persons within the party that agree with Atiku’s decision not to pick Wike. Former Governor of Niger State, Babangida Aliyu, had said, “unfortunately, I don’t know if it is his temperament. Sometimes when you speak too much, when you insult your way to power, it does not always happen.”

This is not the first time Atiku will be having challenges over a running mate. Several southeast governors fumed over the choice of Obi in 2018 as running mate to Atiku, who was accused of not consulting widely enough.

David Umahi, who was still in the PDP in 2018, had expressed shock with the choice of Obi as the VP candidate.

“We saw news flying up and down saying that our presidential candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar has picked a running mate from the zone. We were shocked because we were not consulted,” he said.

The National Chairman confirmed this during the inauguration of the 17-man committee on VP selection.

“Our presidential candidate, this time, has decided to carry everybody along unlike 2019 when he didn’t consult widely in his choice of running mate,” Ayu said.

Amidst all these, Atiku believed not to be in the country despite the off-season elections his party is involved in.
Rumour of Wike, Tinubu’s alliance

The crack is also fueling rumour that Tinubu who is in France and Wike, who is in Turkey, had a covert meeting on a possible alliance.

Joe Igbokwe, an ally of Tinubu had posted the alleged meeting on social media, however, the post was subsequently deleted.

This alleged meeting is coming against the backdrop of the recent overture by Fayose, who has been giving signals of possibly backing Tinubu on the basis of “southern agenda”.

“The current President of Nigeria is a 2-term Northern Presidency, thus implying that it MUST be a Southern Presidency in 2023 or NOTHING. Awa ‘South’ lo kan’. Nigerians should await details soon,” Fayose tweeted.

Basir Madandola, a Chieftain of the PDP told DAILY POST that chances of an alliance between Tinubu and Wike are slim.

“Wike has local politics to play in Rivers State. He has a governorship candidate alongside Senate, Reps and House of Assembly candidates that he has to deliver against APC. Mind you, the APC are hungry. They did not participate in the 2019 elections because of a court verdict.“The only thing that is possible is that he will not be fully involved, perhaps, he will focus his resources on his State. Will APC drop Rotimi Amaechi and others in the State for him?” he said.

He added that the failure of the party to put the entire house in order could be fatal for the party.

“We have 8 months to go. That is more than enough time for reconciliation. Wike has a significant stake and interest in the party. I don’t think that interest can be well protected in APC.
Uncertainty on Iyorcha Ayu

The National Chairman of the PDP, Iyorcha Ayu, has recently come under fire over the post-election crisis, particularly for the “You are the hero of the convention” comment to Tambuwal after the election.

The comment prompted Edwin Clark to call for Ayu’s resignation.

During an interview with Arise TV on Thursday, Ortom refused to defend his kinsman.

When asked if Ayu has mismanaged the party or is innocent of the issues going on, Ortom did not defend him, instead said, “Well, I won’t talk about mismanagement or innocence, but I will say, it is not too late, things can still be amended.”

Mr Ayu has a long history with Atiku. He was the campaign Director-General of the Atiku 2007 presidential race under the Action Congress of Nigeria.

Over the week, the PDP had to issue a statement debunking “reports” that Ayu had resigned.

Crack threatens Osun election

It would be recalled that DAILY POST had in an analysis on Ekiti Election, explored how the crisis in the PDP led to the embarrassing defeats in Ekiti State, where the party came third behind APC and SDP.

Governor Fayose and the Ekiti PDP were left to their fate.

The crisis is also threatening the party ahead of the Osun State gubernatorial election between Gboyega Oyetola and Demola Adeleke.

During the week, the campaign council of the Osun State governorship election was formed, but only Vice Presidential candidate, Okowa and Governor Darius Isiaku of Taraba were present at the event.

Even the Chairman of the campaign council, Diri Douye was not present at the event.

https://dailypost.ng/2022/07/02/2023-atikus-rejection-of-wike-tears-pdp-apart/#:~:text=POLITICS-,2023%3A%20Atiku%E2%80%99s%20rejection%20of%20Wike%20tears%20PDP%20apart,-Published

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by Timialaye: 10:23am On Jul 02, 2022
I'm not surprise, because nobody has contributed to PDP success like the Rivers Governor

212 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by TONY042(m): 10:23am On Jul 02, 2022
They know how to solve their problems.

11 Likes

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by JBriel: 10:24am On Jul 02, 2022
PDP has lost. On that day, only Okowa's dentition would be counted. Anioma betrayal

Get a chance to work and earn 75,000 Naira by just working from home every month

Earn 75,000 Naira writing articles working from home

This project is flexible for full time workers. Just 3-4 hours of work activity per day is all you need to do this, so it's suitable for 9-5ers

Hurry up and apply today

Send in your application. My WhatsApp contact - Zero Seven Zero Five Four Zero One Fourteen Fifty-Four

Good Luck

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by Fira09(m): 10:24am On Jul 02, 2022
PDP now looks like an unpopular party........This forth coming Election is between PETER OBI(LP) and BOLA TINUBU(APC),

But on PETER OBI MANDATE WE STAND GIDIBAN.

235 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by JASONjnr(m): 10:26am On Jul 02, 2022
Wike is a selfish guy.... He had little or no chance... He knew this and wouldn't hope for another northerner in power.

He wouldn't support Peter Obi or Tinubu. He believes he's the right person for the post...

I don't think anybody will support his political ideas... And he had no chance of becoming anything in the first place if not for Patience Jonathan.

PDP can tear into millions of pieces for bringing forth Atiku as their flag bearer.

29 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by Benbellamor: 10:27am On Jul 02, 2022
During the week, the campaign council of the Osun State governorship election was formed, but only Vice Presidential candidate, Okowa and Governor Darius Isiaku of Taraba were present at the event.

Even the Chairman of the campaign council, Diri Douye was not present at the event.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by Coolsperm: 10:28am On Jul 02, 2022
Atiku and Tinubu has nothing to offer Nigeria. Vote Peter Obi, vote Labour party

77 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by Golan007: 10:36am On Jul 02, 2022
Only one wristwatch.

344 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by haffaze777(m): 11:01am On Jul 02, 2022
PDP should die abeg

341 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by MMWandali: 11:09am On Jul 02, 2022
Atiku wants someone he can control and manipulate

Wike is not that person
So he chose to go with Okowa

PDP can never win in their current situation

79 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by ghettokid1(m): 4:20pm On Jul 02, 2022
Lalasticlala
mynd44
oam4j
Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by helinues: 4:20pm On Jul 02, 2022
Interesting
Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by DMerciful(m): 4:25pm On Jul 02, 2022
Wike is a bad product, has no national appeal
Timialaye:
I'm not surprise, because nobody has contributed to PDP success like the Rivers Governor

7 Likes

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by FreeStuffsNG: 4:31pm On Jul 02, 2022
DMerciful:
Wike is a bad product, has no national appeal
Unfortunately for you, he is all PDP has for now.

342 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by PrincessofDSS(f): 4:32pm On Jul 02, 2022
ATIKU should have known better.

Wike is now working to destroy that which he has put together for so long while you ATIKU was away in Dubai chilling

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by DMerciful(m): 4:32pm On Jul 02, 2022
I'm Obi-dient but Atiku made the right choice not to pick Wike
FreeStuffsNG:

Sadly is all PDP has now.

8 Likes

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by Warldbest(m): 7:44pm On Jul 02, 2022
PDP>3rd position

1 Like

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by kolafolabi(m): 7:44pm On Jul 02, 2022
In 2015, I cast my vote for Buhari. I had so much confidence in him. Most of the top politicians that sold him to me are still in APC while some had left for reasons known to them.

Buhari has broken my heart. I strongly recommend that he should take me back to 2015 when Dollar to Naira was 165, Petrol was 87 and a bag of rice was 8,000.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by Aidejay(m): 7:44pm On Jul 02, 2022
Atiku blundered.

I saw ifeanyi okowa on an interview and I was shocked that this was the thing Atiku picked over Wike.

But Wike should stop behaving like a sore loser.

The main goal no matter how hurt you are is to get PDP in Aso rock,

For all I care that party can go to hell, had the audacity to bring another northerner.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by TimmyTen(m): 7:44pm On Jul 02, 2022
Nigeria shod stop recycling corrupt politicians who will suffer them for many more years. PDP can tear into pieces for all I care.

#Obi4Greater Nigeria

11 Likes

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by mogbeyiteren: 7:44pm On Jul 02, 2022
Deltans will not vote Atiku and that betrayal called Okowa. I really feel sorry for Atiku choosing Okowa as running mate

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by fasho01(m): 7:45pm On Jul 02, 2022
Let them tear to shreds, to pieces for all I care

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by Think9ja(m): 7:45pm On Jul 02, 2022
undecided
Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by money121(m): 7:45pm On Jul 02, 2022
Ok
Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by INTEGRITYA1(m): 7:46pm On Jul 02, 2022
“Wike never said he wanted to be VP, but when Atiku visited him, he was the one who said, ‘I want you to be my VP’. He said that to Wike.

Atiku lost is someone else gain.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by Consray(f): 7:46pm On Jul 02, 2022
If Wike just venture leaves that party (PDP) to another party that means the party is gone.

This one I heard the other day he was on a close door meeting with Obidient grin

2 Likes

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by kponkedenge(m): 7:47pm On Jul 02, 2022
Atiku never ready, he's still chilling in Dubai.

Let him remain there.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Atiku’s Rejection Of Wike Tears PDP Apart by NothingDoMe: 7:48pm On Jul 02, 2022
Hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Jonathan Inspected The Abuja Rail Mass Transit Line (photos) / Governor Wike About To Flag Off Rumuokoro Flyover In Rivers State(pictures) / Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.