Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:47 AM

HYGIENE 101 - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / HYGIENE 101 (310 Views)

Feminine Hygiene 101: Essential Practices For Women's Health / Sokoto Discharges All 101 COVID-19 Patients / 7 Lessons In Hygiene Some Women Need To Learn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

HYGIENE 101 by Juliearth(f): 9:00am On Jul 03, 2022
Good morning all and sundry. So, I came across a post on this platform some days ago about a nairalander's experience with a poop-cladded a**. That gory experience now lives rent-free in my head, which is why I have decided to create this thread to educate us about some restroom, kitchen and housekeeping etiquette. No man knows it all, thus I plan on sharing the few that I practice. Feel free to criticize my submissions as I am open to jettisoning and/or adjusting. Feel free to add yours as well....

1. The first has to be how we go about cleaning ourselves after going about our number two business in the rest room. I have heard people say they wipe with tissue only and that bothers me. I have seen people go about this business in the bush with just paper or tissue (no soap or water). That is downright disgusting. The best way to clean up is to wipe with tissue twice, followed by wipes ( there are special wipes meant for this purpose). Afterwards, you wash with water and soap. As a matter of fact, you need to have a mini bath (waste downwards) to be totally clean. I know that nature can call at anytime and that is the more reason why we need to have a mini bag that we carry around, containing sanitary items to properly clean ourselves. Toilet seat cover should always be down and toilet doors locked.

2. After going about your number two business and cleaning up properly, using step 1 above, please flush properly. Out of sight (in this case, poop) is not out of tunnel. It is advised to flush twice or if you are using a bucket, a bucket full would serve. Now, that is not all. When you flush, you are expected to disinfect your toilet seat. You achieve this by washing with your toilet cleaners. If your toilet cleaner is detergent, lace it with a little hypo, dettol, ziflora or any disinfectant you are privy to. Note that if you use shared toilets, number two should come before number one to avoid picking up infections.
3. When you pee, a bailer-full of water is not enough to take care of that business. A full flush is just about right. Do not forget to clean up after urinating too. In this case, using only water is fine.
4. We are advised to use at least two sponges when taking a bath. The rule of thumb is that if you have to use a sponge on your face, have a sponge dedicated solely for that and have one dedicated to cleaning the genital region and another for other parts of the body. Note also that it is wise to change your sponge once every three month or less and within the period of use, at least once a week, disinfect your sponges with dettol, hypo, ziflora, hydrogen peroxide and so on and sun dry. After use, your sponge should be sun-dried also.
5. Wash every kitchen utensil before using. That they are clean and well sorted doesn't mean they are dust free. After cooking, do well to clean your kitchen. Dispose of the trash gathered from kitchen, wash the used dishes,clean your sink using baking powder, and dish washer daily and the sink hole using baking soda, vinegar and hot water. That you have a trash can stationed in the kitchen doesn't mean there has to be trash in it. Empty and wash the trash can or dustbin as you use. It is not entirely bad to use kitchen cleaners. Not only do they take care of stubborn stains, they leave your kitchen smelling nice. After cooking our iru-laden native meals, you can clean kitchen surfaces and floor using water mixed with hypo. Hypo masks and eliminates strong smell. Also, extend the cleaning to your living areas if you lice in a small space. This is necessary because the smaller your house, the easier it is for kitchen smell to travel to the living room area. When cooking, ensure that the kitchen door is always locked too.
6 wash your dishes immediately after use. Do this religiously and you may never come across a roach in your house.
7. Store uncooked food items in airtight container. Same should apply for cooked items.
8. Wash your fruits and veggies with water and salt or vinegar before cutting.
9. Inasmuch as you wear a clothing item, then it must be washed before being placed back in the wardrope. As for your underwear,it is advised to wear at least two clean underwear (pants/boxers and singlets) per day. Wash your bra daily. Your underwears should also be washed with hot water, detergent and dettol. This is more important for ladies and I am sure you know why. Dry these underwears under the sun and iron before use.
10. Set a boundary amongst the shoes used outside of your house, living room area, kitchen and bathroom. The shoe used outside must never be brought inside of your house. The shoe used in the kitchen should never be used in the bathroom and so on. Please find a subtle way to encourage your visitors to do same. This is important for the avoidance of cross contamination.
11. The buckets used in the bathroom have no business being in the kitchen and vice-versa.
12. Wash your toothbrush with hot water or hydrogen peroxide before use daily. Change your toothbrush every quarter.
13. After using your toilet seat cleaner/brush, rinse and disinfect it and hang it on your toilet seat to dry before keeping it.
14. Change your beddings twice in a week, mop your floors daily with water and disinfectants. Your floors don't have to be dirty before you mop. Your mopping stick had to be sun-dried always so it doesn't smell foul.
15. Your refrigerator is not self-cleaning. First of all, the key to a clean refrigerator is proper packaging of food items. Every food item to be stored in the refrigerator has to he properly sealed in a plastic ziploc bag or plastic storage bowls with cover. Even at that, once a week, it is important to empty the content of your refrigerator, bring out all the shelves and properly clean/disinfect. Exercise caution when storing meat, fish, locust bean and the likes in your refrigerator.
16. Wash your bathrooms daily. Even if you won't go all out to clean, wash the WC, hand bowl and your toilet floor. Then do a thorough cleaning once a week. Note that the tiles in your bathroom should be spotless.
17. Daily cleaning should also be extended to the kitchen and the tiling system in the kitchen has to he neat. No streak of oil, stew or soup please.
Feel free to add yours please.

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

Please move this to FP people can deliberate on these points.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: HYGIENE 101 by duruZed(m): 4:36pm On Jul 03, 2022
Thanks for the very informative write-up

1 Like

Re: HYGIENE 101 by Chingyyy878: 12:35am On Feb 13
💯

(1) (Reply)

Evening House / The World’s Dirtiest Man Dies At 94 { Photos } / How To Get A Harder Erect.ions And Food To Avoid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.